Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
You know you can edit a post to ad more to it right?

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rebuild will never be finished, 3.33 will never see the states.

:suicide:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

What the hell is Funimation even doing? How can it possibly take this long to redo the dub?

Christ, this movie premiered in Japan in 2012 for god's sake. It's the middle of 2015, and we still don't have it.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Shinjobi posted:

-yOU cAN not uNDERSTAND wHY pEOPLE wHO eNJOY nge cAN (not) aFFORD TO pURCHACE leGIT AND lICENCED mERCHANDISE.

But I prefer raw and uncut.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Shinjobi posted:

its true

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I understand that they hosed up their English dubbing of it, but unless their reversion interns literally turned in a fanfic the day they were doing ADR sessions there's no excuse for them taking so long to replace whatever they screwed the pooch on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe some of the cast were unavailable for an extended time. This is beyond belief for a high profile release.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It wouldn't be so bad if Funimation didn't just look at the ground and scuff their feet muttering "y-yeah we're working on it" anytime it's mentioned. Tell us something

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I have no knowledge or investment but if it's taking this long I suspect there's something to do with the rights or something on Gainaxs' end. They're already in litigation with one former western partner.

Vel
Jun 7, 2014

While we're bitching about Funimation, I've been waiting 2 years for them to start dubbing DBZ Kai Buu Saga. This is after Sean Schemmel confirmed in a panel that he was in the booth. So yeah, I don't know if they're having a huge rights crisis over there, but the wait for some of their properties is driving me insane.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry we have the ultimate blu ray of Hetalia to look forward to :suicide:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Vel posted:

While we're bitching about Funimation, I've been waiting 2 years for them to start dubbing DBZ Kai Buu Saga. This is after Sean Schemmel confirmed in a panel that he was in the booth. So yeah, I don't know if they're having a huge rights crisis over there, but the wait for some of their properties is driving me insane.
That is all on Toei though, who are the kings of incompetence and self-sabotage when it comes to foreign markets.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Vel posted:

I think that's more waiting for Kai to finish airing completely and being sidetracked by two movies and at least two games.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Szmitten posted:

I have no knowledge or investment but if it's taking this long I suspect there's something to do with the rights or something on Gainaxs' end. They're already in litigation with one former western partner.

Its doubtful both parties would allow the terms of the contract, not there are certainties:

Certainty the first: FuniMation is a really dumb name.

Certainty the second: Gainax would refuse to sign over the localization rights of their main property to such a ridiculously-named company indefinately without a major bribe.

Certainty the third: Eva is an inside joke, and Americans don't get it.

The translation of the third installment probably has such subtle foreshadowing that the fourth and final installment needs to be released before the third is translated. Japanese is a phoenetically impoverished language, and innuendo is quite a chore to to digest and regurgitate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Izumi Konata posted:

The translation of the third installment probably has such subtle foreshadowing that the fourth and final installment needs to be released before the third is translated. Japanese is a phoenetically impoverished language, and innuendo is quite a chore to to digest and regurgitate.

Actually you may be onto something there; 3 and 4 were supposed to be a simultaneous release so Gainax is simply going to give North America the experience as originally envisioned.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Does Gainax even still own the copyright? I thought Khara bought it off them after a copyright kerfluffle involving a pachinko machine.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i have played that pachinko machine

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Can someone help me and a friend with what the context to this image is? We're both dying to know what's going on.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Koauru Nagisa is happening.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kavak posted:

Koauru Nagisa is happening.

Right. Just wondering if there's any plot summeries or anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the plot summary of rebuild 4.0

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Are you not familiar with manga covers? Drawing characters in different fashion / poses / etc, especially ones that are unlikely to come up in the normal course of the story, is pretty typical. It's good practice for the artist, it's cool to see for fans, and maybe at most some of it indirectly says something about the character's personality or contains easter eggs about the plot.

Kaworu being androgynous, musical, and cheerful/energetic are pretty well-established, and him being carried in the mouth of a pelican (not a stork, but close) suggests his newness as the last Angel and a test tube baby.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kaworu riding a Kaworu balloon needs to be how Rebuild 4 ends.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Archer666 posted:

Kaworu riding a Kaworu balloon needs to be how Rebuild 4 ends.

If the balloon is a balloon of JUST his head, it would be perfect.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are you not familiar with manga covers? Drawing characters in different fashion / poses / etc, especially ones that are unlikely to come up in the normal course of the story, is pretty typical. It's good practice for the artist, it's cool to see for fans, and maybe at most some of it indirectly says something about the character's personality or contains easter eggs about the plot.

Kaworu being androgynous, musical, and cheerful/energetic are pretty well-established, and him being carried in the mouth of a pelican (not a stork, but close) suggests his newness as the last Angel and a test tube baby.

You're really smart, like Kaworu. Are your arms tired?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pelican's a Christ symbol, of course.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That's really cool. I had no idea!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Talkc posted:

If the balloon is a balloon of JUST his head, it would be perfect.

Only if Shinji accidentally pops it.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Are there any western productions that are tonally/narratively similar to Evangelion?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Melancholia?

v:shobon:v

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Neowyrm posted:

Are there any western productions that are tonally/narratively similar to Evangelion?

TMNT in that it started out as a sort of dark and gritty parody of a lot
Of popular media tropes and ended up being a multi decade marketing juggernaut.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Someone post the Pac Rim Evangelion comparison.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neowyrm posted:

I've seen Watchmen and Twin Peaks compared to Evangelion several times, mostly in regards to how they approach genre.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ratboy Genius.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I got back from a trip to Japan a couple days ago

I went to Evangelion World in Fuji-Q Highlands

It was pretty disappointing

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
What was disappointing about it? What's actually there?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

BB2K posted:

I got back from a trip to Japan a couple days ago

I went to Evangelion World in Fuji-Q Highlands

It was pretty disappointing

I just watched a video.

Tell me you at least took pictures of yourself in the elevator and getting seduced by Kaji at the soda machine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neowyrm posted:

Read the Book of the New Sun. It's about a kid who's raised to be a monster slowly and indirectly edging towards his redemption, among other similarities.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Thanks all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

I've seen Watchmen and Twin Peaks compared to Evangelion several times, mostly in regards to how they approach genre.

They also aren't tonally similar to Eva you doofus