Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Still on the season 1 rewatch.

Usually when I hate somebody on shows like this, I kind of come around on a second viewing, understanding them better or something like that.

I am shocked and amazed to see how much I still hate Gura.

Dude is a total bellend, cocky as hell. All of a sudden when he's in hot water with the end of the main game and oncoming death match in episode 6, he becomes all circumspect, though his resignation stinks of a petulant child, like with the rock-paper-scissors thing.

But kind of the weirdest thing was how much reverence the rest of the cast had for him. I kind of have to wonder--and if anybody has any insight here, I'd appreciate it-- if it isn't just the fact that he's an older man and a famous broadcaster and that's just how Korea works.

I think its just that he's one of the most famous people they've ever had on. Just at the time he was way more popular than anybody else on that cast by a lot. So nobody was ever going to be rude to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What's he so famous for, anyway? I know he's a "broadcaster," but in Korea that can mean just about anything.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gura is awesome as Genius' first villain but unfortunately didn't have a good game sense to continue to win in the more complex games, as evidenced by Episode 3 and after. You can tell that Sangmin was really hoping that Gura had a masterplan cooked up on the Abundance and Famine episode but was disappointed, prompting him to leave his side in later episodes.

He needed someone with brains to work with him - if Jinho accepted to team up with Gura, it would probably be the equivalent of Dongmin and Hyunmin.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Jinho kind of tried in their last game with the robber, but Gura was obstinate and unwilling to listen to any ideas except his own. And, again, he made poor decisions and sunk Jinho.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

What's he so famous for, anyway? I know he's a "broadcaster," but in Korea that can mean just about anything.

He's just one of their most famous MC's, whose been around for quite a while. Right around the time of the Genius he was just coming back into the industry after leaving for a year because of some comments he made.

In the hierarchy of Korean MC's you've got Yoo Jae Suk (dunno if you've ever seen Running Man or Infinite Challenge)at the top pretty much by himself. Then you have people like Kang Hodong, Park Myungsoo in tier 2, Gura probably fits into this tier or maybe slightly below.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Bankok posted:

He's just one of their most famous MC's, whose been around for quite a while. Right around the time of the Genius he was just coming back into the industry after leaving for a year because of some comments he made.

In the hierarchy of Korean MC's you've got Yoo Jae Suk (dunno if you've ever seen Running Man or Infinite Challenge)at the top pretty much by himself. Then you have people like Kang Hodong, Park Myungsoo in tier 2, Gura probably fits into this tier or maybe slightly below.

And of course we all know that Hyung Don is "in the top 4 of MCs"

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

strangeless posted:

And of course we all know that Hyung Don is "in the top 4 of MCs"

It took me a while to quell the laughing fit I had during that episode and now it's back thanks a lot

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gura as the shadow king in S1E2 is still one of the best performances in Genius history

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He dropped out of the race at such a decisive moment :v:

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
In Korea they have a big amount of respect for the elderly. That is why they always set up the age order when they first meet new people. Who is the hyung, dongsaeng, oppa, etc. even by a few months is sometimes important. From watching some korean shows, it seems the youngest always cooks and/or does the dishes for example.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What song do they use here https://youtu.be/QbBThgoyfSA?t=35s
Pretty great for moments like that

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hurricane Jane (Daytoner Remix) from Feel the Fire - The Remixes by Mr Confuse. They use that album a lot. It's a really good album.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just watched the first episode in season 1 again with my wife. I had forgotten how quickly Gura targets Jinho.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Didn't Jinho say that Junseok was the #1 person he was scared of in season 1?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

You guys forgot Tank! from Cowboy Bebop re: licensing stuff on the last page.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Also, the entire Oldboy ost (although that goes for almost any korean variety show)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm sure some music from the Iron Man movies has been used as well.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I think the point about the music was that you only need to license a few iconic tracks, and replace the rest. Basically just "Extreme Ways" and "Bangarang" plus the Idiotape albums.

e: Got my Skrillex tracks mixed up.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
-Redacted-

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 28, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It should be highly illegal to post trip reports from Wikipedia imo

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

same

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Definitely

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
My bad.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Seriously. Do not post about Wikipedia here. If you accidentally got spoiled, just keep it to yourself.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why are people even checking wikipedia

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Davincie posted:

why are people even checking wikipedia

Cause they wanna learn more about the show and that will get them spoiled.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
There is no information on the show that gets updated other than spoilers. In fact, you could visit the wikipedia page and read pretty much everything and not get spoiled by just not scrolling down to the bottom.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Jinho and Pyo are in the most recent Running Man episode (257)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 28, 2015

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Wikipedia used to be a good reference to check things like "how many times did Mentality King go to the death match? Who did he eliminate first?". Those tables are super handy and I think I was the first one to mention it itt

but now I can't do that anymore THANKS WIKIPEDIANS

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
why can't you do that anymore

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pro Genius wikipedia tips:

- If it's after Saturday and bumdidlyumptious hasn't subbed an episode yet that week, don't look at the season 4 elimination table
- That's the only tip

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Episode is up :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jungmoon memorised Pi "for fun"??? :stare:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Part 2 is hosed on Dailymotion :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CeeJee posted:

Was just about to post this :argh:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Worked fine for me. :shrug:

But, just in case, part 2: Deathmatch being an equally poo poo and lame repeat of Jiwon v Jinho was the worst. Pot rides is still dumb. Sure, the eliminated player was losing anyway, but random chance shouldn't determine the winner. Though, really, whoever lost there was going to suck either way but it'd be better if they lost because they actually lost and not because of what was basically the same as deciding the winner with the starting player coin flip and no actual game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

Worked fine for me. :shrug:

But, just in case, part 2: Deathmatch being an equally poo poo and lame repeat of Jiwon v Jinho was the worst. Pot rides is still dumb. Sure, the eliminated player was losing anyway, but random chance shouldn't determine the winner. Though, really, whoever lost there was going to suck either way but it'd be better if they lost because they actually lost and not because of what was basically the same as deciding the winner with the starting player coin flip and no actual game.

T'was Yooyhun's choice to screw himself into it being random chance. As for the main match, was sort of a wet fart because there just weren't many ways the rebels could do anything. Majority + lots of power = Dongmin securing a win. And the deathmatch is predetermined so there's all the more reason for betrayal on the part of the rebels.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

CeeJee posted:

If you drop it down to 480p it works. I think the 720p encode just got hosed up.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

If you drop it down to 480p it works. I think the 720p encode just got hosed up.

Yeah, drop it down a quality level. Sucks, but is better than it completely freaking out.

Thoughts on the episode: Disappointing death match, if only because it's determined by chance on a draw. It's how Jinho lost last season and that sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm, well. A pity to see either of the deathmatch players gone really, oh well. That said I thought the main game was really bad, and here's why: games that can be solved are a staple of The Genius, but this one was very badly implemented for two reasons. The first is that it was purely an issue of memory rather than cleverness or strategy or anything of the sort, which isn't HUGE - you can still make fun solving with that like in Open/Pass, but is also not ideal I think. Better something like last main match where the solution still allows mind-games, adjustments etc that means it's not automatically a boring draw for the win between everyone who figures it out/knows it.

That brings me to the real bad part: I don't think this kinda solution is reasonable in a forced team-game like this where only a small number of players on the losing team can go to the deathmatch. They're fine in games that are individual or where the players can form and abolish teams as they want, because they're used to WIN the game, and the other players are still responsible for their own fates. But in a game like this, having someone who knows pi basically completely ruined it. Felt like more time and tension was spent on deciding who to send to the deathmatch than the actual game. Really a poor decision IMO. Now theoretically if nobody else knew she could solve pi so far out, it might have been salvageable but that still relies on chance that nobody who's an ACTUAL Loyalist doesn't know pi. And even those who couldn't tell you pi past the first few decimals could recognize the pattern so it wasn't terribly tough to figure out.

Personally I don't get the hate for Indian Poker. There's an element of randomness for sure, but it's just as much about strategy and psychological battles.