Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, pretty much this - the vast, vast majority of complaints that I've witnessed come from Windows users, and it indeed does suck on Windows. If it ran like it did on OSX on equivalent Windows hardware I would like it (was going to say "and adopt native UI" but after Win10 even MS doesn't know what that means anymore).

It's not the worst piece of software a major corporation has released (RealPlayer, Microsoft Bob, poo poo this list could go on forever). It's not the worst piece of software still used. It sure does have a track record for ignoring user complaints and compounding them/straight adding to them with every revision. I'd be willing to bet that % of satisfied iTunes users has never once been graphed with an upward slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, pretty much this - the vast, vast majority of complaints that I've witnessed come from Windows users, and it indeed does suck on Windows. If it ran like it did on OSX on equivalent Windows hardware I would like it (was going to say "and adopt native UI" but after Win10 even MS doesn't know what that means anymore).

It's not just that though.

Just about about every media player on Windows works way, way better than iTunes does on OS X. Suddenly lagging, and not recovering is just horrible design. There is not, and never has been, an excuse to lag so badly when scrolling vertically, and then to have one tiny partial solution to make it so that display window does not need horizontal scrolling.

(This is something that Apple just has problems with in general. Numbers has the same annoying poo poo with it. Start scrolling with a cell with text in it selected, and the Pinwheel can take 1 full minute to return control of the computer to you. Do the same scroll when a blank cell is selected and there are no problems. WTF?)

Hands down, iTunes has always been the biggest pile of suck on the Mac. Stealing your entire machine is inexcusable.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Pivo posted:

What IS the worst stock app, though? I always thought Garageband was fairly clunky, but I'm not much of a musician so maybe I was holding it wrong. iDVD was fairly loving terrible but it's discontinued so it doesn't count. I personally really hate iMovie.

My vote goes to iMovie as well. I never thought I'd be wishing I could use Windows Movie Maker, but here we are.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pivo posted:

What IS the worst stock app, though? I always thought Garageband was fairly clunky, but I'm not much of a musician so maybe I was holding it wrong. iDVD was fairly loving terrible but it's discontinued so it doesn't count. I personally really hate iMovie.

garageband is good for what it is, which is basically a cut down logic to replace logic express, and especially considering its price point vs logic/other daws.

The rear end Stooge posted:

My vote goes to iMovie as well. I never thought I'd be wishing I could use Windows Movie Maker, but here we are.

idk id pick imovie over movie maker every single day of the week.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I was helping my friend set up a makeup blog. You can tell what kind of friend this is - she studies English, her dad bought her a Macbook Pro, she has dozens of makeup brushes and knows how to clean each one, you know, not the kind of girl who fucks around with buying domain names and learning about encoding and stuff like that. So I wanted to help her. She is very clever though, and tech-savvy. She knows how to use technology, but doesn't care to understand how it works. So when she bought a fancy Canon camera, put it on a tripod, and filmed her videos, she thought she could just import them into iMovie and edit them and export them. Which is what a reasonable person should expect! Even though these were totally standard files, iMovie continuously crashed on exporting her projects. Just spent hours with 100% CPU and then blah failed. I know Apple encoders throw poo poo in the Console log, so I looked through that, but I didn't see anything that would tell me why what was happening was happening. So I got her to bring the files into QuickTime, export them again as the exact same filetype and same encoding, and then re-create her timeline. What do you loving know, it worked!

Until it stopped working. For some reason when she upgraded to the new version of iMovie, none of the workflow we designed worked anymore. Nothing worked. It barfed on every file her camera spit out. I even had her send me the drat files, I threw them in a timeline myself and was able to export them fine. Nothing was wrong with her computer. iMovie just didn't like her. It was brand new too and she didn't bring over an old backup, so there was very little risk of contamination from weird software.

I got her to download a :filez: copy of FCPX (sorry, Apple!) and while she grumbled about learning how to use it, it worked perfectly fine. C'est la vie, right?

gently caress iMovie. I spent so long troubleshooting that just to throw up my hands and say "use something else!"

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 30, 2015

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
How heavy was her printer?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

Dunno, it was probably one of those HP multi-function "buy them for cheap and they'll break in a month" models.

I get the joke, though. Very funny. iMovie still sucks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

beefnoodle posted:

:golfclap:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
iMovie is the biggest possible POS.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How can I best tweak my Safari so that if I type "map florence" it will automatically show Florence in Google Maps, and not just a link to Google Maps via Google? I'd also like to add other stuff for things like Wikipedia, Ebay, etc. I think I had a Firefox extension for this in my earlier PC days but now I can't seem to find anything useful.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xabi posted:

How can I best tweak my Safari so that if I type "map florence" it will automatically show Florence in Google Maps, and not just a link to Google Maps via Google? I'd also like to add other stuff for things like Wikipedia, Ebay, etc. I think I had a Firefox extension for this in my earlier PC days but now I can't seem to find anything useful.

You have to figure out or copy-paste the search syntax for each site, but beyond that Keysearch works well enough.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Xabi posted:

Switch your search engine to DuckDuckGo and use their bang syntax as a solution independent of browsers.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Xabi posted:

Alfred does this, you might give it a try.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I have run into an issue with 10.11. I know its beta and thats all good, but when I came home yesterday apparently my computer had crashed and rebooted, and since then I can't play any blizzard games. I can play dota2 and civ (thats all i have tried) but any time i load up any blizzard game the screen glitches(flashing, crazy colors), but only in full screen. if i command M and go to windows mode it works fine. The only other thing that is messed up is on my login screen to OS X the font is messed up. Unreadable. All other functions appear to be working perfect. Its something with full screen mode. If i move the game to my second monitor the same thing happens.

I have tried to do first aid on the SSD. I did the command D and did the online system check and it came back 100% fine. I cleared my pvram. So I assume that somehow my installation of El Capitan is messed up. Is there a way to repair it? Or is there a way to reinstall it from the app store? Trying to avoid a good old wipe clean and start over if I can.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

badjohny posted:

I have run into an issue with 10.11. I know its beta and thats all good, but when I came home yesterday apparently my computer had crashed and rebooted, and since then I can't play any blizzard games. I can play dota2 and civ (thats all i have tried) but any time i load up any blizzard game the screen glitches(flashing, crazy colors), but only in full screen. if i command M and go to windows mode it works fine. The only other thing that is messed up is on my login screen to OS X the font is messed up. Unreadable. All other functions appear to be working perfect. Its something with full screen mode. If i move the game to my second monitor the same thing happens.

I have tried to do first aid on the SSD. I did the command D and did the online system check and it came back 100% fine. I cleared my pvram. So I assume that somehow my installation of El Capitan is messed up. Is there a way to repair it? Or is there a way to reinstall it from the app store? Trying to avoid a good old wipe clean and start over if I can.

Sounds like a graphics driver issue. Hopefully it's not hardware-related, but to find out you'll probably either have to wait til the final release or restore/wipe back to 10.10. Unless you could boot 10.10 off an external drive and try your games there.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Sounds like a graphics driver issue. Hopefully it's not hardware-related, but to find out you'll probably either have to wait til the final release or restore/wipe back to 10.10. Unless you could boot 10.10 off an external drive and try your games there.

thats what I figured too. Is there no way in macs to reinstall a driver only? I know they are baked into the OS. could I just reinstall 10.11 overtop of my current install? If not I will probably just wait for the next beta patch and see if that fixes it. And if not I will probably wipe it clean and go back to 10.10.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 30, 2015

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a 2009 (I think) MacBook running 10.6.8 with 4GB of memory. How much slower would it be if I installed Yosemite? The last time I upgraded it really slowed to a crawl.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
You might be stuck at 10.6 with that one. I know if I had bought one model down at around that time, I would have three MacBooks that stop at 10.6

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The 2009 MacBook supports Yosemite, but I've read some stuff from people who said it slowed theirs down quite a bit. An extra 4 GB of RAM and perhaps an SSD would probably help a lot, though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any N64 emulator that works for modern OS X? Looking to replay a few games and would rather not dig up the system from my basement.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The 2009 MacBook supports Yosemite, but I've read some stuff from people who said it slowed theirs down quite a bit. An extra 4 GB of RAM and perhaps an SSD would probably help a lot, though.

Is it Yosemite specifically that bogs it down, or anything past 10.6.8? (I have a 2009 myself, and I am going to be going ahead and moving up at some point, I think.)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

kapalama posted:

Is it Yosemite specifically that bogs it down, or anything past 10.6.8? (I have a 2009 myself, and I am going to be going ahead and moving up at some point, I think.)

No idea.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there any N64 emulator that works for modern OS X? Looking to replay a few games and would rather not dig up the system from my basement.
Openemu has N64 support. It's kinda wonky with some titles -- even Mario Kart 64 has some problems. However it's still probably the best you'll find right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kapalama posted:

10.7 was pretty harsh, 10.8 and 10.9 were both improvements. 10.10 is supposed to be an improvement but has some weirdness, like UI wise it can get bad, but just hitting the increase contrast accessibility option pretty much gets it back to good enough (at least on my 2009 and 2011 Mac minis). I'd say it's just a transparency thing, but the reduce transparency option alone doesn't have the same effect. There's also some funky Finder listing slowness at times, but I forget if that's a 10.10 thing or started earlier. Then there's Photos, which seemed to take a day or so to chew through facial recognition or something, seems like it's been fine since that initial processing though.

In any case I figure 10.11 is close enough that you might as well wait for that since it's supposed to address performance issues. Or specifically 10.11.1/10.11.2 if you want to wait it out a bit more beyond that.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Openemu has N64 support. It's kinda wonky with some titles -- even Mario Kart 64 has some problems. However it's still probably the best you'll find right now.
Yeah, depends on the rom mostly.

More often than not you're going to be disappointed with the results though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

More often than not you're going to be disappointed with the results though.
Is that for N64 emulation in general or just OpenEmu's emulator?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

N64 emulation on OS X, I think.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

N64 emulation works pretty well for me, I've been playing some Diddy Kong Racing, Tony Hawk, and Paper Mario without issue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Last Chance posted:

N64 emulation works pretty well for me, I've been playing some Diddy Kong Racing, Tony Hawk, and Paper Mario without issue.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

japtor posted:

just n64, the rest of the systems are pretty solid

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

kapalama posted:

You might be stuck at 10.6 with that one. I know if I had bought one model down at around that time, I would have three MacBooks that stop at 10.6

It's definitely compatible, problem is, will it kill the performance?

So a total of 8GB? That seems like a lot (it only had 1GB when I bought it) but probably worth it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Thanks for this! N64 emulation has always been iffy but Shadows of the Empire is running well which is all I care about at the moment. This also looks like a great front-end for other systems too which is a nice bonus.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it works pretty well's all I'm saying. I have a lot more N64 ROMz than I care to admit and they do alright on OpenEmu.

But maybe I'm just comparing it to the darker days of emulation where you could emulate Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time and were in good shape.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pivo posted:

There's tons of bitching about Mail but that's probably because more people have tried it.

I don't think I've ever opened Garageband intentionally.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
dashboard

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

how did this happen, I don't know, but

Apparently I am know going to be doing some programming now, starting in Ruby on rails, but apparently moving over to iOS as well. I have not done any coding in forever. What do I need? Some Japanese guy says the Atom is like awesome, and has Plugins already set up for the Japanese market, but I am willing to listen.

If there is an editor with built-in text expansion that would help because I cannot type. Also something that picks out typos for me would help.

If not, what's a good text expander?

Free as in beer would help, because this is all out of pocket on my side, but with my typing, I assume I will have to pay .

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If you're going to be programming for iOS, you'll need to get the Xcode IDE via the App Store (free) and check out some Objective-C and Swift tutorials. If you already feel familiar enough with C, both are pretty straightforward to pick up on. There are some pretty hefty free iBooks available as well, but are chock full of a whole lot of redundancy unless you've entirely forgotten your fundamentals.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dashboard is awesome, I use it so much. I've got clocks there set to different time zones so I can tell at a glance what time it is in New Zealand when I talk to my friend who moved there, I have weather there, I've got iStat there so I can just hit F12 and instantly see CPU usage, memory pressure, network usage, etc. I've got a bunch of those post it notes widgets there so if I'm on a call and someone tells me to write down a number, I don't have to look for a pen. Oh, and calculator, and an app that tells me when my favourite TV shows are airing next.

Dashboard is the tits!

If we're gonna talk about OS features and not just stock apps, then Launchpad can just go to hell. I don't understand its purpose.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Any recommendations for software that will do full/incremental backups -

I already use Time Machine to back up to a FreeNAS instance, but I'd like something that can go offsite too..

Ideally (because I'm a cheap rear end) something that can back up to a network share, which I can then archive offsite using my existing Crashplan subscription, which backs up my network drives. (You can't/shouldn't back up Time Machine directories using Crashplan)

Duplicati did this perfectly on Windows, but it seems the OSX port is a bit patchy, and needs Mono etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kapalama posted:

how did this happen, I don't know, but

Apparently I am know going to be doing some programming now, starting in Ruby on rails, but apparently moving over to iOS as well. I have not done any coding in forever. What do I need? Some Japanese guy says the Atom is like awesome, and has Plugins already set up for the Japanese market, but I am willing to listen.

If there is an editor with built-in text expansion that would help because I cannot type. Also something that picks out typos for me would help.

If not, what's a good text expander?

Free as in beer would help, because this is all out of pocket on my side, but with my typing, I assume I will have to pay .

Sublime is usually where my developers gravitate towards. It has a ton of packages for intelligent suggestions, shortcuts, code formatting, etc.