Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Toebone posted:

My local bottle shop stopped carrying Goose Island after AB-InBev bought them :thumbsup:

One of the few people in the craft beer world who doesn't fully hypocrite out on that. I could give a poo poo about macros and drink them all the time, but I can't help but laugh at all of the "CRAFT BEER NOT CRAP BEER DRINK LOCAL" dudes who pretend BCBS isn't Budweiser Brand BA Stout at this point. Personally I'll buy BCBS if I happen across some bottles but I'm not going to camp out for any BA stout, too many good options out there. Lines are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

MunchE posted:

One of the few people in the craft beer world who doesn't fully hypocrite out on that. I could give a poo poo about macros and drink them all the time, but I can't help but laugh at all of the "CRAFT BEER NOT CRAP BEER DRINK LOCAL" dudes who pretend BCBS isn't Budweiser Brand BA Stout at this point. Personally I'll buy BCBS if I happen across some bottles but I'm not going to camp out for any BA stout, too many good options out there. Lines are dumb.

I want them to literally relabel it as Budweiser BCBS, BBCBS if you will, and put it in 25oz cans.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is hating Founders a new thing? Beer nerds love to bitch about the Backstage series being duds, but that's probably because Founders set the bar way too high out the gate.

I just realized more and more people have been making GBS threads on CCB, lately. Maybe too many experimental beers being released like Don Gavino's Big Guava?

That has always been CCB's thing; they're the Pipeworks of the southeast, though at least they've limited their experiments mostly to draft offerings that you could try samples of before committing. I guess people are just getting more selective.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

MunchE posted:

Most local beer is garbage anyways. I spent the night drinking Buffalo Sweat, Miller Lite and Malort. I had options but my preferred States were apparently KS, WI and FL.

It's funny you mention "drink local" because I have a box coming in tomorrow from a buddy living outside of Bend and I'm trying to put together a return box for him and the only truly local stuff that I'm sending is Pipeworks. Everything else is more Midwest in nature other than the rarer stuff which we get in higher quantities here.

I'm sorry Dan for singling you out. Being a comedy forum and all, I felt I needed to take a jab at someone in the thread.

Edit: That was topical, RIP MIDORKA.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is hating Founders a new thing? Beer nerds love to bitch about the Backstage series being duds, but that's probably because Founders set the bar way too high out the gate.

I just realized more and more people have been making GBS threads on CCB, lately. Maybe too many experimental beers being released like Don Gavino's Big Guava?

You shut your whore mouth don gavinos loving rules

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

You shut your whore mouth don gavinos loving rules

I loved it, I even got a half case down at Hunahpu Day, but beer nerds are fickle - if CCB isn't releasing high ABV BA Stouts, they don't want it. I wonder how many Catador members didn't re-new after getting Rum Good Gourd, Illuminating the Path, and Gavino during the last Catador membership.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Apparently, christmas beer season starts early in euroland?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Klaus Kinski posted:

maybe it's from last year? that's the sort of beer that gathers plenty of dust where i live. of course, we're getting pumpkin beers already, so...

did you guys see that Kosher man is brewing at HF? i guess he's been back for a few months, but it just clicked the other day. i wonder if he felt Siren was good enough to stand on its own or if he just wanted to get back to the States...

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

funkybottoms posted:

maybe it's from last year? that's the sort of beer that gathers plenty of dust where i live. of course, we're getting pumpkin beers already, so...

did you guys see that Kosher man is brewing at HF? i guess he's been back for a few months, but it just clicked the other day. i wonder if he felt Siren was good enough to stand on its own or if he just wanted to get back to the States...

probably even older, best before 2017. I haven't seen it on shelves in that shop in years so I found it hilarious that they decided to randomly start selling it in july.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I loved it, I even got a half case down at Hunahpu Day, but beer nerds are fickle - if CCB isn't releasing high ABV BA Stouts, they don't want it. I wonder how many Catador members didn't re-new after getting Rum Good Gourd, Illuminating the Path, and Gavino during the last Catador membership.

Man I wish I had the cash to pick up half a case of don gavino. Hell I wouldn't mind buying one, that was my favorite sour when I had it and I would love to have it again to see how it's held up to some of the other sours I've had since then.

But yeah, as you're saying, maybe there's a bit of truth in the palette comments.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

They'd be disappointed if they cancelled for that since BA stouts are pretty much all we've gotten in round 2. I've still got a couple Gavinos and GGAs left that are available for trade or sale since I wasn't a huge fan of either.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Klaus Kinski posted:

It definitely does, the Vinmonopolet I went to in Alesund, Norway a couple weeks ago had an entire display of Christmas beers. Good ones too, like the Nogne O and the St. Bernardus. Still far too early for that.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ReaperUnreal posted:

It definitely does, the Vinmonopolet I went to in Alesund, Norway a couple weeks ago had an entire display of Christmas beers. Good ones too, like the Nogne O and the St. Bernardus. Still far too early for that.

Hah, I'm in narvik once a week or so for week, I'll have to check if it's the same over there. And then buy nothing while I cry over the prices.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

You Norwegian gentlemen should come on down to Bend, for some reason there were a lot of Swedish road-trippers here this summer going through town and stopping by Deschutes and so forth. At $4.50 a pint you could probably calculate how much beer you'd have to drink for it to be cost-effective!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

Kosher Man? Is that what people are calling Ryan? Why's that? :)

I have a feeling he wanted to return to the States for a while now. He'll be staying on with SIren as a recipe consultant or similar, leaving trusted people to brew for him.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

19 signatures. Lolol

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

You know your town (Portland) has too many beer festivals and too many brewers when there is a festival dedicated entirely to beers made by brewers named Ben.

http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2015/07/5th-annual-benfest-a-bounty-of-bens.html

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Back to Founders chat, most of the animosity seems to revolve around the fact that most of their limited-release Backstage series has been, if not outright bad, really polarizing. And since beer nerds only care about WALEZBRO, they completely ignore their stellar year-round and seasonal releases (Red's Rye, Porter, Imperial Stout, Breakfast Stout, Mosaic Promise, Backwoods Bastard, Harvest Ale, etc).

Cause regardless of good those beers are, they aren't rare or exciting or the new hotness style du jour.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Kaiho posted:

Kosher Man? Is that what people are calling Ryan? Why's that? :)

I have a feeling he wanted to return to the States for a while now. He'll be staying on with SIren as a recipe consultant or similar, leaving trusted people to brew for him.

that was his handle here- he was somewhat-active in the thread for a while, disappeared for a long time, then came back briefly to give someone a smackdown (Midorka, probably), and hasn't posted here since. seems like the industry folks tend to not want to talk about beer on the internet as much as non-industry folks, go figure...

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

krustster posted:

19 signatures. Lolol

The fact that that stupid loving thing only has 19 signatures kind of restores some of my faith in humanity.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

You know your town (Portland) has too many beer festivals and too many brewers when there is a festival dedicated entirely to beers made by brewers named Ben.

http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2015/07/5th-annual-benfest-a-bounty-of-bens.html

And it's been going on for years too!

In other Oregon beer news, Dave Logsdon is retiring and selling his stake in the brewery. Head brewer Charles Porter is also leaving.

http://brewpublic.com/beer-news/charles-porter-leaves-logsdon-farmhouse-ales/

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man that makes sense that Ryan was a goon. I wish I'd followed the thread closer....!

I know what you mean about industry folk not wanting to read about WHALEZ etc. They're (we're) working day to day (not in production in my case) just to have beer for people. It seems extraordinarily competitive/cut-throat when viewed through the beer geek's eyes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Schpyder posted:

Back to Founders chat, most of the animosity seems to revolve around the fact that most of their limited-release Backstage series has been, if not outright bad, really polarizing. And since beer nerds only care about WALEZBRO, they completely ignore their stellar year-round and seasonal releases (Red's Rye, Porter, Imperial Stout, Breakfast Stout, Mosaic Promise, Backwoods Bastard, Harvest Ale, etc).

Cause regardless of good those beers are, they aren't rare or exciting or the new hotness style du jour.

*Insert one of many previous posts where I point out that most of Founders' year-round and seasonal releases aren't as good as beers of similar styles and prices sitting literally right next to them on the shelf*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdFGZAtfCCY

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

I guess he made up with Shaun over the Grassroots bad blood? He sounds like an interesting guy and am curious to see what he does next.

On a different note, I'm eagerly waiting for David Sakolsky's Deciduous Brewing tasting room to open so I can trade for some growlers.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So turns out 2hrs isn't enough time for VR event. I'm about 5 people too late. :(

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
lol at a zhukov event

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

*Insert one of many previous posts where I point out that most of Founders' year-round and seasonal releases aren't as good as beers of similar styles and prices sitting literally right next to them on the shelf*

Dan "NEGATIVE NANCY" Banana.

I got a box from my buddy in OR and it's basically filled to the brim with taste bud inflaming goodness. There are a bunch of standouts but I think these might be one of the cooler things I've seen "Growler Cans":

Boneyard Notorious on the left is a Triple IPA and on the right is 10B "RIS sour with raspberry." My buddy described it as a blend of Fresh RIS, BA RIS and a Raspberry Berliner. Those cans are also 32 oz each. Saturday morning is going to be rough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

cryme posted:

lol at a zhukov event

it's going to be a giant shitshow and I am having my friend send me pictures of it while I waltz over to the ABC by the beach and buy some random shelf stout because no one buys that kinda stuff in that neighborhood.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

We still haven't gotten Founders in CA, we just got Bell's and I'm happy getting a 4pk of Two Hearted cans here and there. Honestly outside of Breakfast stout, never been super impressed with any of the Founders stuff I've had....it's good but nothing worth blowing my top over

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

MunchE posted:

We still haven't gotten Founders in CA, we just got Bell's and I'm happy getting a 4pk of Two Hearted cans here and there. Honestly outside of Breakfast stout, never been super impressed with any of the Founders stuff I've had....it's good but nothing worth blowing my top over

Exactly! FBS is the only beer of theirs I get pumped for. I'll buy a couple of 4 packs in October/November and then not think about Founders again until someone mentions them and I furiously type up negative responses.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

Exactly! FBS is the only beer of theirs I get pumped for. I'll buy a couple of 4 packs in October/November and then not think about Founders again until someone mentions them and I furiously type up negative responses.

Speaking of things you don't like, New Holland Pilgrim's Dole has gotten amazingly good now that it's almost a year old. Not so boozy and sharp and the overpowering bitterness has faded a bit. What a steal!

Also we finally got Incorrigible Reserve this year and it is (mistakenly?) only $4.89. Fuckin great man. But, the regular one tasted off this year. Oh well.

Also I got some Stone Quadro Triticale despite someone here saying it was godawful, because it's only $2.99.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Got my first Catador box from Daunte Vicknabb (thanks, man!) so I felt I better open one...

Da un Beso a la Botella is some made up loving "tropical-style imperial export stout" aged in rum barrels. What that apparently means is that it's basically a sweeter, boozier aged Expedition Stout. This is not a bad thing. Not the usual massive CCB imperial stout mouthfeel, but still coats. A ton of sweet dark fruit, still significant hops. The rum is pretty mild compared to the other rum-barrel beers I've had from them.

This is very good, even thought it's on the sweet side. Funny that I'm drinking this after BOSC's "why do people hate CCB?" question earlier this week. This isn't a world-beating BA'd stout and I certainly wouldn't hunt for another. But I have a feeling that if it had a different label on it (Rum BA Zhukov Lite), people would be going apeshit over it.

Tomorrow I'm bringing Rum BA Caffe Americano to a friend's* house. Very pumped about that, since I've heard nothing but great things.

*Chicagoons: my buddy from Charleston just moved back to the city so you no longer get to look forward to me bringing infected Westbrook beers to tastings!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Quadro Triticale is confirmed to be gross, even for $2.99. It doesn't taste like it was fermented all the way. Tastes kind of like table sugar.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

krustster posted:

Quadro Triticale is confirmed to be gross, even for $2.99. It doesn't taste like it was fermented all the way. Tastes kind of like table sugar.

After reading your previous post I was about to say 'you overpaid for it at three dollars.' But it seems you've already found that out. All of those beers in that series are awful.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I drank the W00tstout last night. it was very good. Reminded me of fortified wine mixed with chocolate and tree nuts. I'd drink it again considering its the same ABV as a bottle of wine and at $8 (after employee discount) its a better deal than a comparable wine. I'll probably even get one for my "cellar" (aka in my closet with one bottle of this years Silva Stout).

What ever distributor that reps Duvel products was doing a tasting at my work today. Such a loving tease. For some reason only one beer out of the 5 they sampled was something that we carry.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I drank the W00tstout last night. it was very good. Reminded me of fortified wine mixed with chocolate and tree nuts. I'd drink it again considering its the same ABV as a bottle of wine and at $8 (after employee discount) its a better deal than a comparable wine. I'll probably even get one for my "cellar" (aka in my closet with one bottle of this years Silva Stout).

did you get the Silva for free or are you so upset about the $18 you spent on it that you can't bring yourself to throw it away?

cryme posted:

lol at a zhukov event

i know, right? a good- but not great- non-BA, non-adjunct stout that used to be $10 for 750mL and is now $15 for 22oz. is it one of those beernerd right-of-passage beers like Dark Lord or Hopslam?

Kaiho posted:

Oh man that makes sense that Ryan was a goon. I wish I'd followed the thread closer....!

I know what you mean about industry folk not wanting to read about WHALEZ etc. They're (we're) working day to day (not in production in my case) just to have beer for people. It seems extraordinarily competitive/cut-throat when viewed through the beer geek's eyes.

guess you know him personally, eh? and do you work at Siren? i work in a taproom and also inside the brewery doing grunt work (yes, it's all grunt work). there are also a Lagunitas brewer and Sierra Nevada packaging guy (who is moving/moved to a new brewery, right?) who post here some and a design/sales guy from Cigar City who pretty much disappeared after the Hunahpu's Day Disaster 2014 (never forget). are there other industry goons here? oh, i guess there's the brewer from Adventure, but i think we're too serious over here in GWS...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

guess you know him personally, eh? and do you work at Siren? i work in a taproom and also inside the brewery doing grunt work (yes, it's all grunt work). there are also a Lagunitas brewer and Sierra Nevada packaging guy (who is moving/moved to a new brewery, right?) who post here some and a design/sales guy from Cigar City who pretty much disappeared after the Hunahpu's Day Disaster 2014 (never forget). are there other industry goons here? oh, i guess there's the brewer from Adventure, but i think we're too serious over here in GWS...

My brother is an investor in a couple Chicago breweries so I represent the mooching brother contingent. Though really all that means is I get half off of at Rev's brewpub / tap room.

I had a Mikerphone Daft Funk which is a Berliner aged in wine barrels. It's slightly more acidic than most Berliner's I've had but other than that one note, I didn't really pick up much barrel. Otherwise, my drink local experiment wasn't bad. It's a pretty solid beer. $9 for a 24 oz CAN which means it's not that terrible of a deal.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

The UK beer scene is really small, so while we don't hang out I've met him and shot the poo poo with him on multiple occasions at industry events etc.

And no, I don't work for siren, I'm doing stuff for Brewdog in London at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

i know, right? a good- but not great- non-BA, non-adjunct stout that used to be $10 for 750mL and is now $15 for 22oz. is it one of those beernerd right-of-passage beers like Dark Lord or Hopslam?

Pretty much just a name brand hype bullshit now as other CCB stouts will sit on the shelf in the brewery for a while and stuff from coppertail will stick around for a while. I honestly loved sabotage way more than last years zhukov.

Edit: acoording to a friend the release went smoothly.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 1, 2015