Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Maybe you need to read it in context :shrug:

I though it was terse and provoking.

It seems kind of trite to me? Like just as a realisation on its own it seems boring maybe the context makes it better like you said. Also the actual words are dull and not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it also doesn't even make sense, Abel wasn't the "only person around to kill", Cain could have killed Adam or Eve if he just wanted to murder someone and didn't care who it was

not to mention the whole reason he killed Abel was because God had accepted Abel's offering and rejected Cain's.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Earwicker posted:

it also doesn't even make sense, Abel wasn't the "only person around to kill", Cain could have killed Adam or Eve if he just wanted to murder someone and didn't care who it was

not to mention the whole reason he killed Abel was because God had accepted Abel's offering and rejected Cain's.

there were other humans as well

that's how cain could take a wife in the land of nod

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Letting literalism get in the way of poetry :colbert:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

What's the context because that's going to make all the difference.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Stravinsky posted:

What's the context because that's going to make all the difference.

The story up to that point was three men and a little 11 year old hunting in the woods. The little boy consciously and deliberately without any warning takes his rifle and shoots a man poaching in the distance and kills him. That line is the first explanation from the boy (who is grown and the narrator) about why he did it.

Its the opening to a treatise about the fundamental urges of violence in all men.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 28, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The story up to that point was three men and a little 11 year old hunting in the woods. The little boy consciously and deliberately without any warning takes his rifle and shoots a man poaching in the distance and kills him. That line is the first explanation from the boy (who is grown and the narrator) about why he did it.

Its the opening to a treatise about the fundamental urges of violence in all men.

That's boring.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Letting literalism get in the way of poetry :colbert:

didn't really seem like poetry

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
This discussion of Mishima is really cool. I'm gonna dust off the copy of Temple of the Golden Pavilion I've had in my desk forever and put it at the top of my to-read list.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Yeah, I enjoyed that discussion, too. Kinda' burns me to think more of the other core works in his oeuvre aren't being translated. Kyoko's House seems to be widely discussed in just about all of his biographies/television&film tributes but nobody's touched it in the 50 years since its publication.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want to read Utsukushii Hoshi.

Is it at all common for literary works to get "fan translations" and put online by individuals? I think I'd enjoy doing that if I don't get hosed up the rear end with copyrights and stuff.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 31, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shibawanko posted:

Is it at all common for literary works to get "fan translations" and put online by individuals? I think I'd enjoy doing that if I don't get hosed up the rear end with copyrights and stuff.

IIRC, it's common in Russia because the translations are poo poo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Also the strong samizdat tradition.

Unofficial light novel translations from Japanese are quite common, so you just need to trick some people on IRC that they are going to make a Mishima anime and you should be good to go.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
I just found a book by Mishima that I had completely forgotten about in a pile of books I bought in Japan. Wikipedia says the english title is "The Blue Period" but I can´t find anything else about it, has this even been translated? Until this discussion I always thought everything by Mishima was readily available in English, being famous and long dead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

Also the strong samizdat tradition.

Unofficial light novel translations from Japanese are quite common, so you just need to trick some people on IRC that they are going to make a Mishima anime and you should be good to go.

The problem is that fan translators are often artless. They are so obsessed with being literal that they will turn it into a barely comprehensible mess.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I have never heard of anyone sued for doing that especially because your not going to be publishing/selling it I think you would be OK. Either way you should do it and send me a link.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

This thread likes latin-american lit, right? You should read The Edge of the Storm by Agustín Yáńez. This guy's barely known outside of Mexico but his prose is amazing. It sadly lacks knights and dinosaurs, tho. :(

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem is that fan translators are often artless. They are so obsessed with being literal that they will turn it into a barely comprehensible mess.

this is according to keikaku

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Do it and let me do bad translations of things on your web site.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Incidentally I'm reading Le ton beau de Marot atm and it is exceedingly deece.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hantama posted:

I just found a book by Mishima that I had completely forgotten about in a pile of books I bought in Japan. Wikipedia says the english title is "The Blue Period" but I can´t find anything else about it, has this even been translated? Until this discussion I always thought everything by Mishima was readily available in English, being famous and long dead.

iirc Mishima wrote some fairly tame genre novels for money in between his well known stuff, it could be one of those?

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I remember someone started a translation, but got bogged down in the first few pages when they weren't sure how to translate the title of a ufo conspiracy book mentioned in passing.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

Do it and let me put up 'translations' of obscure Middle English alliterative poems that no one without a PhD wants to read anyway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'll see if I can find a copy of Utsukushii Hoshi or Kyoko no Ie here and try to make something of it. My Japanese might not be up to the task yet though.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Just put your translations up on here, the forum for books and poems

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am interested to see how this turns out

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
The Mishima discussion was super interesting, but having only read one of his works (The Golden Pavillon would be the English title iirc?) a lot of it went over my head. I did pick up Spring Snow, though! I'm going on a trip in a week so I hope to read it then.

Stravinsky posted:

ryu murakami (he's not the one your thinking of)
kenzaburo oe
osuma dazai's fairytail book is not depressing compared to his other works
kobe abe
Witold Gombrowicz (there is no way for him not to be there!)
checkov
kafka
Dezső Kosztolányi
carlos fuentes

Gombrowicz is great and I would recommend Trans-Atlantic and Ferdydurke to anyone. Probably my favourite high school required reads.

As for Dostoyevsky being depressing or not: I read Crime and Punishment, The Devils, The Idiot and several short stories of his and nothing except maybe A Gentle Creature struck me as a downer. I think it's because I really like his characters - they're full of personality, which brings life even to pessimistic plots, in my opinion? I never got this "the world and humanity is hosed beyond redemption, let's roll over and wait for death" feeling from his work.

(I'm not good at discussing literature in English so I'm sorry if all I wrote sounds really dumb :ohdear:)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What does the Real Literature thread think of Aldous Huxley? I read Island which was... Not great, as far as literature is concerned, but Utopias are always less interesting than their shithole counterparts. I enjoyed the style of writing even if the novel fell flat in the plot department. I also really enjoyed The Doors of Perception to the point that I wish he had just written Island as a treatise on the ideal society rather than couching it in the form of a novel.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Brave New World was good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I liked Point Counterpoint and Eyeless in Gaza.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i tried to read'island' as a kid because i thought it's an adventure story like robinson crusoe. i took it from the library two or three times but never finished it. are there adventures in the second half?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you really feel the need to be patronized by Hux try Jacob's Hands, it's much shorter.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Burning Rain posted:

i tried to read'island' as a kid because i thought it's an adventure story like robinson crusoe. i took it from the library two or three times but never finished it. are there adventures in the second half?

No, there isn't really a plot. It's basically dude gets injured and sits in a hospital bed while the entirety of Western civilization gets brutally owned in the arena of ideas

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
trading flemish to english fan translations for czech to english fan translations. wanna read some more ajvaz

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ya'll motherfuckers should read some Wally Lamb cause goddamn. I just finished She's Come Undone and that was one of the best books I've ever read. Any fans? I'm going to get his next book in a half hour when the bookstore opens.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

more like wally lame

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Brave New World is one of the worst novels of all time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Antwan3K posted:

hot take

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Antwan3K posted:

No it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.