Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

It stops just short of Bruery level richness. The mouth feel doesn't match the visual viscosity, which is weird. I like it but wish I had saved this for a share. Really heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

danbanana posted:

Goodnight Mekong is a creamy, mocha, vanilla bomb. Super rich. Mouth coating. Massive tasting thing.

Apparently that beer is literally just Marshall Zhukov with coffee and vanilla. And that is absolutely not a bad thing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
anyone ISO Good Night, Mekong? i can make it happen, you know...

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Vertigo posted:

No, you're right. I've definitely had more beers from them that I don't think I'd buy again then ones I fall in love with. That being said, I've enjoyed being a member this year and will probably renew next year. Chrono 12 was on point, and so was Sans Pagaie from this round. SitR : Peaches and Filmishmash are also awesome this year. With the email stating next year is SitR Pineapple and coconut that does excite me a little more than peaches

If they can nail the taste they got when they did firkins SitR with Pineapple/Coconut is goddamned incredible.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

Yeah, I've heard enough, send me a PM :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

poop dood posted:

Apparently that beer is literally just Marshall Zhukov with coffee and vanilla. And that is absolutely not a bad thing.

I loving knew it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I loving knew it.

local in-the-knows have all but come out and said as much, but i never had anyone confirm it. i've been told by a few people that Wayne's contribution was basically saying, "yeah, sure, fine, make a beer, whatever," too. a shame you left that job, poop dood, because then maybe you could give us the definitive answer

(no, really, the service there still blows; i can't believe that Jose dude still has a job)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

local in-the-knows have all but come out and said as much, but i never had anyone confirm it. i've been told by a few people that Wayne's contribution was basically saying, "yeah, sure, fine, make a beer, whatever," too. a shame you left that job, poop dood, because then maybe you could give us the definitive answer

(no, really, the service there still blows; i can't believe that Jose dude still has a job)

I feel that most of the ccb collabs are kinda just to help the little guys with notoriety and you can obviously tell who's in the lead of design or how much effort was put in. It's all still good, except the new belgium ones, and I have a two joes in my fridge waiting for an excuse to be opened.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I also have an extra GNM for trade... As noted twice in the beer trading thread :)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I feel that most of the ccb collabs are kinda just to help the little guys with notoriety and you can obviously tell who's in the lead of design or how much effort was put in. It's all still good, except the new belgium ones, and I have a two joes in my fridge waiting for an excuse to be opened.

Back when GirlKisser was posting here regularly, he mentioned that CCB "collabs" are mostly bullshit. "We'll talk about it and you brew it and then just put CCB on it. Whatever."

I'm surprised that Zhukov is the base. Like I said, I found the mouthfeel really thick and creamy, but it wasn't as viscous looking as Zhukov/Huna. In other words, the glass didn't look black after taking a sip. But I guess depending on how they did the coffee, it could have thinned it out so...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Gentlemen's Club is still occupying space in Bend's bottle shops to this day. Very nice of them to age it for me, I guess.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
What was the consensus on oak aged St. Bernardus again? Worth $28? I'm tempted every time I see it but I've been trying to cut back on $30 bottles. Really wish it had been a smaller format.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Gentlemen's Club is still occupying space in Bend's bottle shops to this day. Very nice of them to age it for me, I guess.

Yeah, it's still all over shelves in Portland too. Have yet to try it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

dphi posted:

What was the consensus on oak aged St. Bernardus again? Worth $28? I'm tempted every time I see it but I've been trying to cut back on $30 bottles. Really wish it had been a smaller format.

It was ok, but honestly a bit too oaky in my opinion. We're not talking bourbon aged here, I think it brandy barrels and you're mostly getting a huge wood character. It was good but I wouldn't drop the price on it. Just get some regular Abt 12 and call it a day.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

$25 may have been a bit much for a gimmick beer (insert Bruery joke)

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

God, I know, right? It's a place run by beer nerds, not anyone with a career in managing bars or restaurants, and boy can you ever tell. Unprofessional as poo poo, but their beer's pretty good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dphi posted:

Yeah, it's still all over shelves in Portland too. Have yet to try it.

It's $20 here :agesilaus:

I too wonder if it's worth it. I like abt 12 but twenty dollars is twenty dollars

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

Sure?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

dphi posted:

Is that the magnum? I think it's pretty nice personally, but not too far above regular abt 12. That said, last time I drank it I got a good chunk of barrel in my glass. Chewy!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Aw I'm kinda bummed about how berliner weisse isn't really a thing in Berlin at all, though unfiltered pilsners in Prague will make up for that when I hop a train over there on Sunday.

What else is a must do in Czech Republic? Definitely gonna do a day trip to Pilsen for the Pilsner Urquell tour. I'll have 7 nights to explore!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

air- posted:

Aw I'm kinda bummed about how berliner weisse isn't really a thing in Berlin at all, though unfiltered pilsners in Prague will make up for that when I hop a train over there on Sunday.

What else is a must do in Czech Republic? Definitely gonna do a day trip to Pilsen for the Pilsner Urquell tour. I'll have 7 nights to explore!

You really should take a look at the ossuary in Kutna Hora. It's a pretty :rock: place.

Unfiltered pilsner is the tits. Go to u Zlateho Tygra, get there early, get to know the locals. And by early I mean 2-3pm.

Is your euro tour taking you to the UK at all?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Chicagoons: if you run across Middlebrow's Cobrastyle, I highly recommend it. From the bottle:

quote:

We aged "Robyn" (our farmhouse blonde) with peaches & Brett Brux in a spent Cab. Sauv. barrel to create "Who’s That Girl." Dark Matter Coffee used that barrel to age coffee beans. We took that coffee and blended it with Robyn, the beer that started it all, and out came "Cobrastyle."

I thought Who's That Girl was nice, though the brett and peaches were subdued by the barrels. But this is something on a different level. Coffee and fruit in the nose. It goes from coffee to tart/fruit to coffee in the mouth really smoothly. Everything blends so shockingly well. It wasn't too pricey (like $8 for a 375 I think) and is a must try, if you ask me.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

Chicagoons: if you run across Middlebrow's Cobrastyle, I highly recommend it. From the bottle:

I've seen this bottle a couple times, picked it up and examined it, and put it down because the description just didn't seem good. Maybe I'll actually pick it up now.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Tried to go to Upright today to get a bottle or two of Special Herbs but it turns out they are only open during days and hours that I work. Very bummed.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I've seen this bottle a couple times, picked it up and examined it, and put it down because the description just didn't seem good. Maybe I'll actually pick it up now.

Seriously, do it. That description sounds like it's a mess but it's absolutely one of the best beers I've had this year.

have it your weigh
Nov 10, 2005
SNARF
If anyone is ever near Portsmouth NH I suggest stopping by Earth Eagle Brewings. They have some amazing gruits. Spicebush Sour was a real stand out.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
RuinTen sure "drinks" like a much weaker beer whilst providing a big explosion of hop tapes. Also of note is that despite its high ABV it's not particularly malty. What a treat.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

today's drainpours:

Right Proper Le Flâneur- wine-like in flavor and alcohol burn, not particularly tart, and not very carbonated (a six-week old growler, but the other beer filled on the same day was carbed as gently caress two weeks ago). weird, slick mouthfeel made me wonder if it was still "sick." not terrible, but none of wanted to drink more

Mure Tilquin- speaking of sick, this was an unpleasant experience; diacetyl for days, no carb, minimal tartness, slick mouthfeel, and just very little in the way of typical lambic flavor. i know sometimes lambics need some extra time to mature, but this bottle was hosed and my friend was pretty sad that he bought three (at $30+ each)

Sierra Nevada Rain Check- ah, what an appropriately-named beer! well, unless you want a glass of tangy ginger soy sauce, i guess- i almost did a spit-take into the sink. very glad i was patient and waited to find a single instead of impulsively snagging a four-pack

rinsing my mouth out with a Spaten Oktoberfest because that is some seasonal creep i can get behind

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

funkybottoms posted:

rinsing my mouth out with a Spaten Oktoberfest because that is some seasonal creep i can get behind

but what about Pumking in 4 packs :sotw: :barf:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Kaiho posted:

You really should take a look at the ossuary in Kutna Hora. It's a pretty :rock: place.

Unfiltered pilsner is the tits. Go to u Zlateho Tygra, get there early, get to know the locals. And by early I mean 2-3pm.

Is your euro tour taking you to the UK at all?

Thanks! Mostly Central Europe for me since I'm trying to stretch travel funds as well.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's really great that the bar 15 minutes from my moms house always has 4-6 hill farmstead beers on

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

Mure Tilquin- speaking of sick, this was an unpleasant experience; diacetyl for days, no carb, minimal tartness, slick mouthfeel, and just very little in the way of typical lambic flavor. i know sometimes lambics need some extra time to mature, but this bottle was hosed and my friend was pretty sad that he bought three (at $30+ each)

I'll buy them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

I'll buy them.

The bottle I opened had no diacetyl or slickness. It did, however, have minimal carb and a very subtle blackberry flavor. Hopefully he adds more fruit for batch 2.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I like Oskar Blues' Old Chub scotch ale, are there any others I should try out? I'm pretty sure I tried Great Divide's Claymore and didn't care for it.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If I like Oskar Blues' Old Chub scotch ale, are there any others I should try out? I'm pretty sure I tried Great Divide's Claymore and didn't care for it.

Founders Dirty Bastard is kind of the quintessential one if you haven't had that yet. Traquair is really good and actually from Scotland for that authentic taste.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

I'll buy them.

ha, i was telling my friend about seeing an ISO with some pretty decent FT bottles; i think he's gonna sit on them to see what happens, but if not, i'll holler

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I find Old Chub is a bit hoppier than normal which makes it hard to replicate. Can't guarantee that you'd have better success than Claymore, but Founders Dirty Bastard, AleSmith Wee Heavy, and Smuttynose Scotch Ale are all pretty decent.

funkybottoms posted:

Well since Oktoberfest actually begins the last week of September, it's almost appropriate!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I will try the dirty bastard once I make more room in the fridge.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spent a nice weekend up in the mountains, happened into a store on the way back and came home with:

haven't actually tried any of their stuff yet, so I'm excited

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Hauki posted:

spent a nice weekend up in the mountains, happened into a store on the way back and came home with:

haven't actually tried any of their stuff yet, so I'm excited

one-bottle limit?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

one-bottle limit?

Nah, no limit, I just didn't want to drop $$$ on something I've never personally had and I don't like being all :smaug: when it comes to beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Fred Eckhardt passed away today. :911: