Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC its always been part of the premise, that the creator of the puppets left Europe because of WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Toulon is like Magneto; the Nazis' cruelty twisted their gifts into something dark and terrible.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kurt Russell kind of looks like Timothy Dalton from this distance.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can see that. I'm still not a fan of this jamming numbers loving everywhere in titles poo poo though, for some reason at first glance I read it as the Hopeful Eight. :unsmith:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its Hooful Eight, idiots.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Looking at his track record, I figure there's an 80% chance this movie will be good. That EW poster gives me pause but I hope the official poster will be as good as I've seen from his movies in the past. Does he have any say in these? I figured with the control I assume he has nowadays, he would have more than most working directors, but that's all just guessing.

I love that he keeps giving people out of the public eye roles and I've always loved JJL.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

IIRC its always been part of the premise, that the creator of the puppets left Europe because of WWII.

Toulon is the evil Dolmann.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ posted:

This is apparently a comedy about a chef. Not that the poster tells you much except that Bradley Cooper is a really handsome dude. I mean, he's just sitting there. At least make him hold a skillet and a knife in a really attractive manner or something.

This movie has a new title now. And with a new poster that's pretty much the old one with a new background.

They better start showing him doing some cooking or something.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddam those mixed size actor names look like poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, I love Omarsy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

Looking at his track record, I figure there's an 80% chance this movie will be good. That EW poster gives me pause but I hope the official poster will be as good as I've seen from his movies in the past.

What do you mean, Tarantino posters are usually pretty bland (characters posing in front of blank backgrounds). Pulp Fiction's the only one I'd consider iconic.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I don't like this poster

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure I am not now nor have ever been Dalton Trumbo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I liked Louie as much as the next guy but I really wish people would stop putting Louis CK in movies. At least until he can learn to not stammer and trip over delivering any lines that he didn't write himself.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah gimmie that vriska movie

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

This movie has a new title now. And with a new poster that's pretty much the old one with a new background.

They better start showing him doing some cooking or something.

His head looks all squishy like someone made him into a no nose face meme but left the nose in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I like this cast enough, but the poster's kinda poo poo. What's going on with the tagline? And Bryan Cranston's forehead?

It feels like it's harking back to a specific style, like 90s movie posters, but doesn't look quite right.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, I love Omarsy.

omarSY, his rap name.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thirty minutes into the film, Cranston's character dies and someone else takes over as protagonist.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Vegetable posted:

It feels like it's harking back to a specific style, like 90s movie posters, but doesn't look quite right.
Needs more purple gradient backgrounds, subtle marble, duo-toned cast photos and cast credits pushed almost completely across the very top to really pull the worst of the 90's.

I can't really find many styles off the top off my head, but it's in the classic ensemble vein of.

It's also an curious design callback as the film is set in the 1940's so the whole typewriter stuff is fitting the plot (Cranston plays a blacklisted script writer).

BogDew fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 11, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It looks like they're trying for a Woody Allen feel with that typeface. But overall it's just ugly and forced looking. Better suited for a play than a movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It looks kinda like a VHS cover to me. I think it's the rectangle border they got.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"Are you now or have you ever been TRUMBO" is possibly the worst tagline of all time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Wendell posted:

"Are you now or have you ever been TRUMBO" is possibly the worst tagline of all time.

"Are you now or have you ever been..." refers to the text in the background. "a loyalist", "a Stalinist", "a traitor", "a husband", etc. They just did a really lovely job of getting that across, so instead it comes off as "Are you now or have you ever been...TRUMBO"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thirty minutes into the film, Cranston's character dies and someone else takes over as protagonist.

He'll die off-screen in a scaffolding collapse. Such a bad film.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"Are you now or have you ever been..." refers to the text in the background. "a loyalist", "a Stalinist", "a traitor", "a husband", etc. They just did a really lovely job of getting that across, so instead it comes off as "Are you now or have you ever been...TRUMBO"
Oh I didn't even take it like that, that definitely isn't the greatest poster...

Still got me excited for the movie though, since I like the concept/cast and hadn't known it existed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Motherfucker, I can't believe it took me this long to get the Godzilla joke.

I actually really liked Godzilla.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Motherfucker, I can't believe it took me this long to get the Godzilla joke.

I actually really liked Godzilla.

Yeah, but killing Cranston was a HUGE mistake.

He was just on a podcast I listened to, and he actually mentions he raised that very point when he saw his character was dead by page 50. His argument was they spent the start of the movie building an emotional center around this character and then they yank him offstage with a huge cane leaving the audience without anyone to identify with for the rest of the movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What about Stocko McBlandman and his compelling family? Oh right...

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

I hope it includes the part where Trumbo defends the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact!

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 11, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

flosofl posted:

Yeah, but killing Cranston was a HUGE mistake.

He was just on a podcast I listened to, and he actually mentions he raised that very point when he saw his character was dead by page 50. His argument was they spent the start of the movie building an emotional center around this character and then they yank him offstage with a huge cane leaving the audience without anyone to identify with for the rest of the movie.

What kind of monster doesn't identify with Godzilla?!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Party Boat posted:

Mothra?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Definitely no one watching the last Godzilla movie. It wasn't on screen long enough.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The last Godzilla movie was great and good, start to finish.

Some people wanted non-stop action and that would have been dull. What we got was perfect and they are turning it up to 11 in the next movie with King Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The Godzilla parts were good, Godzilla himself was handled fine. The parts with the human soldier dude and his wife were terribad pointless filler bullshit when you had CRAZY DAD or Serizawa who could have been your leads instead. They could have had either of them trying to track Godzilla, try to figure out a weakness, etc.

Oh look it's (whatever his military rank was) Fuckup here to not help the situation at all and be the only survivor in a disaster, yet again. They play him up as being Mr bomb disposal, best of the best, and then he can't even do that right. And then his wife is somehow even less useful or interesting. What a waste.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's no issue with offing a supporting character played by a famous actor early in a film, but when you write, shoot and edit a character as the emotional lead for the entire first act then completely drop them from the story, the audience will loving revolt. It's why Abrams and the Lost writers nixed casting Michael Keaton as Jack Shepard and rewrote the character just before shooting. Shepard was supposed to be the one killed by the monster in the airplane cockpit at the end of the first episode, but they realized they risked alienating the audience by pulling the rug out from under them like that.

Godzilla was pee pee and poo poo, if you liked it you should feel bad.

:wtc:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's a movie I want to see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would not want to party with people who didn't like Godzilla. They don't seem like fun cool people.