Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I actually got everything installed, yay! This last question I tried googling, and I also know that windows 10 is technically unsupported, but a couple dudes remarked here they had it working AND had a 15.xx AMD driver.

My install says I have updates available, the only one (anymore) being one for AMD graphics driver. Even after restarts it just keeps failing. What did you guys do to get past that? I have no AMD graphics driver installed presently.

That ( and the fact that my brightness and volume buttons on my keyboard don't work yet) are my only issues remaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Man so I switched cold turkey back to Safari a few months ago and it's been 99% fine. One bug that I'm seeing is that when I hit the back button or swipe back, sometimes it'll go back to just a blank white page. Is this widespread? It's not TERRIBLY annoying since cmd-R will fix it but sometimes I'm just....

Yeah, I actually switched to Chrome because of this, among other things (I'm on Mavericks). Tried turning all extensions off, etc but Safari on Mavericks seems to be getting more and more buggy.

Pelikan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 7, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just as a final capper to the Windows 10 Bootcamp saga I will say this: I was able to install it just fine, but I cannot get it to recognize my Apple Keyboard like it did in Win 8.1 (Volume, brightness, etc...) and most importantly, Windows Update says it has found an AMD Graphics Driver update but will always fail to download/install it. So I am stuck on the basic MS Display Adapter.

No real harm here, but the point is, I'm at the mercy of Apple for updating Bootcamp support. Just let that be fair warning to anyone, I suppose...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Resetting PRAM has fixed strange behaviors in Safari in my experience.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Feenix posted:

I actually got everything installed, yay! This last question I tried googling, and I also know that windows 10 is technically unsupported, but a couple dudes remarked here they had it working AND had a 15.xx AMD driver.

My install says I have updates available, the only one (anymore) being one for AMD graphics driver. Even after restarts it just keeps failing. What did you guys do to get past that? I have no AMD graphics driver installed presently.

That ( and the fact that my brightness and volume buttons on my keyboard don't work yet) are my only issues remaining.

I can't help you with the graphics bit, but for the keyboard buttons, did you install the whole bootcamp exe in windows? If so, first check there to make sure it isn't expecting you to press fn (or not press) fn to operate them. If that doesn't work, the bootcamp installer should have extracted its contents somewhere in your windows home directory — mine's in Downloads. You want to navigate to "Bootcamp[version]/BootCamp/Drivers/Apple" and run AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe. During the preview, each new preview build would replace the apple driver with a generic keyboard driverI guess, and so the additional functions on the keyboard wouldn't work. A quick reinstallation sorts it out every time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zenostein posted:

You want to navigate to "Bootcamp[version]/BootCamp/Drivers/Apple" and run AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe. During the preview, each new preview build would replace the apple driver with a generic keyboard driverI guess, and so the additional functions on the keyboard wouldn't work. A quick reinstallation sorts it out every time.

Appreciate the help but when I run that AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe a driver installer comes up but then it fails to find anything. (The other ones in that folder work fine, though...) That was the first place I checked. :)

[edit] I think I got the keyboard stuff sorted by reinstalling older(?) Bootcamp Drivers.

Likely gonna have to wait for official support for the ATI drivers. Hopefully that doesn't take an eternity.

[Edit] not really sure where my assumption came from but I'd sort of assumed bootcamp updating for new OS's was a days/weeks sort of thing. Is it correct that bootcamp support for 8.1 came like a year later? I hope it doesn't take forever for 10 to be supported.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 8, 2015

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I can't imagine Apple really cares that much about a competitors product seamlessly at launch on their hardware.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

vikingstrike posted:

I can't imagine Apple really cares that much about a competitors product seamlessly at launch on their hardware.

I can't either, exactly. But I also probably Mis-guesstimated how long it might be. :/

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

I can't either, exactly. But I also probably Mis-guesstimated how long it might be. :/

Not that weird - official Boot Camp support for Windows 8 came like half a year after RTM, same for 8.1. Maybe they'll get something out with El Capitan, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Not that weird - official Boot Camp support for Windows 8 came like half a year after RTM, same for 8.1. Maybe they'll get something out with El Capitan, though.

That would be my guess, or maybe a 10.11.1 update around the time that Windows 10's first update is supposed to be.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone know if Transmit ever goes on sale? I really like it, but i'm struggling to justify spending $34USD on an FTP client.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Does anyone know if Transmit ever goes on sale? I really like it, but i'm struggling to justify spending $34USD on an FTP client.

Personally, I use Forklift and have no complaints. $20.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I think it may have showed up in a bundle or something at some point, but it doesn't look like it has gone on sale since 2013 http://appshopper.com/mac/utilities/transmit

I was looking at it a while back, and then ended back at cyberduck since it does amazon s3 stuff way better than anything else on OS X.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just buy Transmit. It's great. Well, it's great for me because of the support for AWS/S3, which I use for off-site backups of my most important files. Definitely worth it though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I bought Flow and it seems fine for the 4 times a year I need an FTP client.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

JHVH-1 posted:

I was looking at it a while back, and then ended back at cyberduck since it does amazon s3 stuff way better than anything else on OS X.

Transmit is the ducks nuts of OS X FTP clients, but I'm more than happy with Cyberduck. Donated $5 - all is good.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I just use Filezilla for free and it is good. :effort:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
FWIW guys I work with say Cyberduck anecdotally has been more reliable than Transmit for S3 work

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm looking forward to Transmit 5 more than El Capitan. Panic's social media presence is pretty good.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

No Pants posted:

Yeah, there's a new one. Driver version 15.200.1062.1002 was released last month.

AMD intentionally includes all of Apple's device IDs in exclusion lines in the .INF file, blocking that. For good reasons, too.

I edited the .INF, generated a new .CAT, signed it with my code signing certificate, and installed it. It installed no problem, except for a spurious "Unsigned Driver" notice that had no effect.

Then I tried to play Skyrim. It somehow had set my resolution to 3840x2160, which seemed to run fine for a while, but within about a minute of roaming on the overworld, the graphics started glitching and hitching up constantly. I tried capturing the effect with Fraps, but it merely dropped those frames.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

My having an old (late 2011) model probably makes things different; the latest notebook drivers have only ever fixed problems caused by game updates. I install them from the adapter's properties window in Device Manager by pointing the wizard to the installer's folder.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Luceo posted:

I just use Filezilla for free and it is good. :effort:

Filezilla is terrible

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I've been using Yummy FTP, and I think it's pretty decent. I just manage a few small sites with it though.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Years later, Mac OS X made great strides while the SHSC thread continued to argue over FTP clients. The more thing change...

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Filezilla is terrible

OK I'll stop using it despite the fact that it connects to FTP servers and transfer files to and from them without a hitch

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Luceo posted:

OK I'll stop using it despite the fact that it connects to FTP servers and transfer files to and from them without a hitch

Good call.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hey guys, have a weird issue that I'm not sure what's going on here.

Platform: Late-2013 MacBook Pro 15in, 8gb RAM, intel i7, 256gb SSD
Software: OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

Issue:

My wife wanted to put some formalwear up for sale on eBay, so I used my Samsung SLR to take photos of the dresses. I connect my camera and I move the files from the SD card to my hard drive just fine. I open up the files in Preview and crop them down slightly to prep for upload. I then rename the file from SAM_0089 to something like beige_front_detail and hit save. Upon saving, the preview thumbnail in Finder turns all white and the size of the image goes from 8.5mb to 400kb. Opening the file again beings up a completely blank white image.

What the gently caress is going on? I've googled around but maybe I'm not searching for the proper terms because it's pulling up nothing. Is there a file corruption issue?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Are they coming off the SLR as jpeg or RAW?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Are they coming off the SLR as jpeg or RAW?

Jpg

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have Fantastical 1 for Mac. Is Fantastical 2 worth $40?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It isn't. It's nice but not that much of an upgrade.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

I have Fantastical 1 for Mac. Is Fantastical 2 worth $40?

Fantastical 1 is really just a helper app for Calendar, while Fantastical 2 is a full blown calendar app with a ton of new features. Personally, it was worth it to me.

This does a decent job of reviewing the new app:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2900834/review-fantastical-2-ups-the-ante-for-events-in-os-x.html

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there any mac app that would allow me to batch convert (read: just change the container of) a bunch of mkvs to mp4s, skipping if the video/audio contained in the mkv isn't supported by the mp4 container? Presumably Handbrake offers this but I have little if no idea how to use it to this end.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You're looking for something called remuxing. I don't have an app recommendation though that should help with your googling.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Its batching is a bit lacking, but Subler will let you do that.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Generic Monk posted:

Is there any mac app that would allow me to batch convert (read: just change the container of) a bunch of mkvs to mp4s, skipping if the video/audio contained in the mkv isn't supported by the mp4 container? Presumably Handbrake offers this but I have little if no idea how to use it to this end.

Handbrake can do this.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Queue

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Is there an app that'll tell me what Time Machine thinks it needs to backup? I'm beginning to wonder if there's some stupid cache I need to exclude, because I'll see it wanting to back up a new 700mb chunk when I know that all I've done lately is browse the forums. This wouldn't be an issue except for when TM loves to sometimes upload to the NAS slower than a 56k modem.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Does Handbrake still reencode everything? I remember wanting to do something similar before, but I ended up having to use command line tools.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

No Pants posted:

Does Handbrake still reencode everything? I remember wanting to do something similar before, but I ended up having to use command line tools.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Tippis posted:

Its batching is a bit lacking, but Subler will let you do that.

Subler is a good program, a little hard to figure out. I only figured out it could change the container but accidentally dropping a .mkv onto an new app window.

But, yes Subler is the way to go since it just change the container, without remuxing, or re-encoding, and it never de-synchs the file which remuxers often do. The raw audio stream does not have timing information, and other container changing programs seem to un-mux before changing the wrapper, which often causes synch issue.

Pivo posted:

You're looking for something called remuxing. I don't have an app recommendation though that should help with your googling.

Remuxing can cause timing issues. Or maybe bad un-muxers cause timing issues. Either way, make sure you test out any re-containeer'd files towards the end of the file to make sure the re-muxers has not somehow decide the audio portion is 5 minutes shorter then the video file.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 12, 2015