Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Old Swerdlow posted:

I had no luck getting nubs off with a knife; I kept taking little chunks out. My way is to cut everything off the sprue with a crappy pair of cutters, and then take of the remaining nub with my good pair of cutters or file it down.

It takes a lot of practice, but shaving nubs is the only technique I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yup, they're more or less equal to the Gundam kits.

The Stormtrooper at least is missing a few details that are just stickers. For example, the little vents on the side of the helmet are just stickers, as are the eyepieces.

Even comes with the three guns. The pistol, the rifle and the machine gun.

now I want to see someone use a Stormtrooper kit in the next Build Fighters series

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

now I want to see someone use a Stormtrooper kit in the next Build Fighters series

Did someone say Stormtrooper Gunpla?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If you ever want a fun one-weekend-day build, the HGUC Z'Gok comes together really nicely. Not too many seams, and easily filled/sanded.

Mine's painted up but I'm holding off on assembling it until some scrap Soviet decals come in. Gotta get the Naval Aviation flag.

The Zaku's going to get done in just regular Russian camo green all around... I did some parts in lighter olive drab/OD-tinted khaki, but given that the Soviets never really used camo schemes for their tanks, this is at least :quotefingers: historically accurate :quotefingers:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

drrockso20 posted:

Some sperg tries to play with the 1/72 X-Wing to prove that mecha is inferior to dogfight-style starfighters and immediately gets shot off the board by the MC for not approaching the game with a spirit of fun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Why would flying spaceplanes not he fun?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Swooosh whooooosh zoooooooom zappazapp! Kaboom! Zawoooosh!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Is there some reason people don't want to use a paint brush on gunpla? It makes panel lining way easier. Just wipe off the excess with your finger.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sharkopath posted:

Why would flying spaceplanes not he fun?

Flying spaceplanes are cool, and good. Actively making GBS threads up mecha discussion about how mecha are "dumb and impractical" compared to fighters, as some people on the internet tend to do, is neither.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mr. stefan posted:

Flying spaceplanes are cool, and good. Actively making GBS threads up mecha discussion about how mecha are "dumb and impractical" compared to fighters, as some people on the internet tend to do, is neither.

I don't even get how it's an argument. Space Fighters can't do cool special attacks.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

An Angry Bug posted:

Is there some reason people don't want to use a paint brush on gunpla? It makes panel lining way easier. Just wipe off the excess with your finger.

If you're going to use a paintbrush you might as well do a wash. It's a lot easier. I just use a panel line marker and wipe the excess off with a finger, but I don't want to mess around with paints right now. I just do it as I go.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't even get how it's an argument. Space Fighters can't do cool special attacks.

Death Blossom from The Last Starfighter. :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kibner posted:

Death Blossom from The Last Starfighter. :colbert:

No attack yell - 0/10.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
An X Wing is just a Waverider mode with no robot.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Space fighters can't maneuver without wasting fuel. Space robots are clearly more practical.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

TaurusOxford posted:

Looks like someone didn't watch build fighters try

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Space plane to mobile suit is clearly the winner, unless you try to mold it in plastic.

"It's transforming!! It's a Mobile Suit!!! A Gundam!!! Fire!! Fire!! Fire!!" - Oz Soldier.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Assembling some parts after painting and some fits are much tighter than expected. How do you lot deal with that? Other than just don't spray the pegs and holes too much which I am obviously going to be trying next time. I've seen people use a pin-vice or drill bit to scrape out a little plastic on the inside of holes, is there a size that does this best? Most gunpla pegs+holes are of a a standard size so I'd assume there's a one size fits all you ever need to scrape for that sort of thing.

The issue of some parts being slightly darker than other parts has come up but eh whatever, growing pains. Definitely going to try doing section by section on the next build, if only for the psychology of getting to put a finished bit together right away making the whole project easier to digest.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

MJP posted:

If you ever want a fun one-weekend-day build, the HGUC Z'Gok comes together really nicely. Not too many seams, and easily filled/sanded.

Mine's painted up but I'm holding off on assembling it until some scrap Soviet decals come in. Gotta get the Naval Aviation flag.

The Zaku's going to get done in just regular Russian camo green all around... I did some parts in lighter olive drab/OD-tinted khaki, but given that the Soviets never really used camo schemes for their tanks, this is at least :quotefingers: historically accurate :quotefingers:

They used whitewash as winter camo, so you could try doing that. There were also some accounts of tanks being sent into combat with only the red factory primer paint, the need for them was so desperate.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Now I'm picturing a Y-Wing splitting and the nacelles turning into arm cannons.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

No attack yell - 0/10.

I frequently yell "PROTON TORPEDOOOOOOO" when playing X-Wing with my friends.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

TARDISman posted:

I frequently yell "PROTON TORPEDOOOOOOO" when playing X-Wing with my friends.

I think you mean "DUAL PROTON TORPEEEDOOOO ATTAAAACKKKKK!"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Someone's never rolled hard to six. :bsg:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Suzaku posted:

Now I'm picturing a Y-Wing splitting and the nacelles turning into arm cannons.

A-Wing, X-Wing, and Y-Wing, combining into a bizarre Star Wars version of the Tryon 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DigitalRaven posted:

A-Wing, X-Wing, and Y-Wing, combining into a bizarre Star Wars version of the Tryon 3.

LET'S REBELLI-ONNN!

I'm not apologizing.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Polikarpov posted:

They used whitewash as winter camo, so you could try doing that. There were also some accounts of tanks being sent into combat with only the red factory primer paint, the need for them was so desperate.

Were... Were the red ones three times faster?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

LET'S REBELLI-ONNN!

I'm not apologizing.

R2D2 colored missiles.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Well there's always

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'd love to see a Build Fighters spin off in to other plamo kits bandai has the rights to.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Polikarpov posted:

This is Cold War era, not WWII - everything I can find on a T-72, for example, is generally olive drab. This is also non-winter; it'd be good propaganda but I'd rather have a non-winter landscape. Not sure why.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

I'd love to see a Build Fighters spin off in to other plamo kits bandai has the rights to.

I'd watch that if only for Samurai Darth Vader vs the ship from One Piece.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

I'd watch that if only for Samurai Darth Vader vs the ship from One Piece.

I want to see Master Chief vs Batman now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The eventual winner would be, of course, YAMATOOOOOOOOOO~

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The eventual winner would be, of course, YAMATOOOOOOOOOO~

Some sort of Yamato/SDF-1 kitbash

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Mine's arriving today. From what I saw of the kit online, the wiring SHOULD be easier this time. All the wires are precut with plugs on one end. There are a lot more of them, but you only have to solder one end of each.

Did you get yours yet? I'm genuinely curious about how hard the soldering is, since I'm all thumbs, and it feels like I'd need 4 hands to do it right.

Also curious if the fit is better or not, sometimes stuff on the Xi could get a little... Rough. Even after some of the excess molding was sliced off. Still gotta wait till next week it seems :argh:

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Did you get yours yet? I'm genuinely curious about how hard the soldering is, since I'm all thumbs, and it feels like I'd need 4 hands to do it right.

Also curious if the fit is better or not, sometimes stuff on the Xi could get a little... Rough. Even after some of the excess molding was sliced off. Still gotta wait till next week it seems :argh:

Yeah, it's here, but I haven't had time to start in on it. I'll take a look at the wiring this evening and let you know how bad it looks. I think the fit's gonna be the same as it was on the Xi, it looks like they reused the molds where they could.

On a side note, I got the Greifer from Chilok in the same shipment. They're apparently Mechanicore's neighbors if not the same company, addresses on the kit boxes are three doors apart in the same building. The inner frame for that kit came mostly pre-assembled, and at a glance looks pretty similar to the Xi's. I kinda wish they had done that for the Penelope after experiencing the Xi.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Yeah, it's here, but I haven't had time to start in on it. I'll take a look at the wiring this evening and let you know how bad it looks. I think the fit's gonna be the same as it was on the Xi, it looks like they reused the molds where they could.

Doublepost but it's been a few hours and I don't want to edit and have it be missed.

Wiring is dead simple. It's got a proper wiring harness, with the switch included. There are two wires that need to be soldered to the positive and negative terminals for the batteries. It's two wires to two metal plates, you can do a terribly messy job and not damage anything. The majority of the LEDs plug straight into the harness, no soldering required. There are 4 additional LEDs that work the same as the thrusters on the Xi, no soldering required. These might be a bitch though, since the plastic battery keepers for the thrusters on the Xi were the wrong size. I don't have any spare batteries to check the new ones, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again.

As far as fit, they definitely reused the molds for the inner frame at least, they even say MAS-15 on the runners I recognize.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Question: if the pros never use any stickers, at all, how do they get around painting the eyes on a BB gundam. I'd like to know.

oh never mind then, I thought there was some funky masking tape/round stencil jazz going on

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 14, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They use the stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

Question: if the pros never use any stickers, at all, how do they get around painting the eyes on a BB gundam. I'd like to know.

oh never mind then, I thought there was some funky masking tape/round stencil jazz going on

Th Mikatan blog has a ten part series about hand painting a Nendoroid face that would work pretty well for a BB gundam, I imagine.

http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/2013/03/18/bonus-painting-a-nendoroid-expression-the-teams-first-expressions/

But for some reason all the pictures are broken