Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I purchased a wood plane off of eBay just to play with hand tools and see if I wanted to get into it. This plane I got was like $30 shipped so I wasn't making a huge investment. But I can't tell if we have operator error or if these chips in the iron are causing all the issues. I am getting skipping, some small tear out, and chips, not strips of wood. These are just white pine 2x4s. not a hard wood at all.

I filed and sanded the poo poo out of the iron but I'm still left with these chips, which I think I should be able to get rid of by filing down past it.

It's been used pretty throughly it seems.

Here are some shots with it in place, I tried to make the iron poke out very very slightly, but I keep getting skipping and cut out even though I am following the rise of the grain. I also can't tell if the iron is just too high an angle to be doing the smoothing I was trying to accomplish.

Should I keep trying to resurrect this guy or is my time better spent trying to find something more modern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Perhaps ol' Paul can help https://youtu.be/I2lvF8-nc_Q

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
30 for a wooden plane holy poo poo this plane price inflation is reaching ridiculous levels, I wouldn't pay more than 10€ shipped for one.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The few times I've looked to eBay for a wooden plane, I've been off-put by the prices and also lack of images (or garbage-quality planes) :staredog: Cracks or nasty deformation near the mouth is always something I spot and get hung up on. Past that is the wood splitting in general.

Anyone tried making their own wooden planes? There's some video I found a while back where a fella shows step-by-step on building a big ol' jointer-plane, and I'm looking to give it a stab :v: Bill Anderson's DVD (or videos on PopularWoodworking) are what I'm referring to here. Gotta say, I like the idea of a striking pin being imbedded in the plane itself.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

That man, just yes, I love him so much. :allears:
However the verdict seems to be, to have a good wooden plane from the past you need... a good working plane. I need to sharpen to get those chips out, and I need to pull waaaay back on the amount of the iron that is poking out.

So in that vein, I want to get a good hand plane after I finish goofing with this one. I can get the iron nice and sharp and working but I am not going to be able to get the bottom super flat without a good plane with what else I have. I was thinking pretty much a No.4 just to do basic work at first, I'm making some legs out of 2x4's for a work table, and one of those Paul Sellers 2x4 glued bench.

Should I just get a Stanley No.4 Sweetheart or should I just save up and get something from Lee Valley

Geop posted:

The few times I've looked to eBay for a wooden plane, I've been off-put by the prices and also lack of images (or garbage-quality planes) :staredog: Cracks or nasty deformation near the mouth is always something I spot and get hung up on. Past that is the wood splitting in general.

Anyone tried making their own wooden planes? There's some video I found a while back where a fella shows step-by-step on building a big ol' jointer-plane, and I'm looking to give it a stab :v: Bill Anderson's DVD (or videos on PopularWoodworking) are what I'm referring to here. Gotta say, I like the idea of a striking pin being imbedded in the plane itself.

Yea, I definitely got one that is a little rough. But I think with some work it can be pretty good. Just that without another plane, getting the bottom flat is a kinda pipe dream.

EDIT: Noting that I need to get my skill with setting the iron straight, and continue iron sharpening to get the chips out.

ptier fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 11, 2015

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Honestly, hopping on Craigslist or sniffing around on Ebay for a bit can get you some pretty cheap (price-wise) bedrock planes. I wouldn't break the bank for a fancy top-shelf one until you really want/need it.

Plus, I think that fixing up/refurbishing a metal plane is good for understanding how it works and such. Chris Schwarz has a bunch of videos on Popular Woodworking, one series focusing entirely on taking a used plane and cleaning it up. I did that to my grandpa's old #4 when I was starting out, and it's now my primary plane. I hit a number of bizarre snags in this process, and figuring them out was a wonderful learning experience for me! :shobon:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
With a wooden plane couldn't you just use sandpaper glued down to some glass or granite or something equality flat to level the sole?

Edit: and to go with the metal plane route just set up a saved search on your local craigslist or equivalent for planes and you will probably see them pop up regularly. There's even a guy in my area that restores and sells them for pretty low prices and offers to give you the basics of setup and usage free.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 11, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I found this number 4 at a garage sale. Looks like they used it as a smoothing plane. Not sure it was worth the $5 but we'll see once I clean the rust off

Super gross:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Geop posted:

Honestly, hopping on Craigslist or sniffing around on Ebay for a bit can get you some pretty cheap (price-wise) bedrock planes. I wouldn't break the bank for a fancy top-shelf one until you really want/need it.

Plus, I think that fixing up/refurbishing a metal plane is good for understanding how it works and such. Chris Schwarz has a bunch of videos on Popular Woodworking, one series focusing entirely on taking a used plane and cleaning it up. I did that to my grandpa's old #4 when I was starting out, and it's now my primary plane. I hit a number of bizarre snags in this process, and figuring them out was a wonderful learning experience for me! :shobon:

Agreed, I had been skeptical of the craigslist tool hunt. But really this is one of those "hobbies that I want to spend time figuring out" things and building this up from some basic tools has been fun so far.

Also there is a flea market near my house, I'll probably go out and see what the prices are like.

Squibbles posted:

With a wooden plane couldn't you just use sandpaper glued down to some glass or granite or something equality flat to level the sole?

Edit: and to go with the metal plane route just set up a saved search on your local craigslist or equivalent for planes and you will probably see them pop up regularly. There's even a guy in my area that restores and sells them for pretty low prices and offers to give you the basics of setup and usage free.

:doh: Yes something like that would work fine. I happen to have a small supply of framing glass, just need to get it small enough so that it doesn't flex too much. Ok, I'm back in.

MickRaider posted:

Super gross:

I seriously though that last one was some chicken disaster you were nuking. What kind of cleaner are you using?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

ptier posted:

I seriously though that last one was some chicken disaster you were nuking. What kind of cleaner are you using?

White vinegar

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Plain white vinegar works that well eh? I got a few super rusty tools from my grandfather, including a plane, I've been planning to fix up. I'll have to give that a try.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah I was kinda surprised by how much "krausen" developed in a just a day. The video I saw the guy just soaked his equivalently rusty plane in white vinegar for a few days and it came out looking perfect.

I suppose if you want it done faster you'd use a stronger chemical, but I'm not in a rush

I am considering buying a new iron for it since the one on there is curved for smoothing. Is that worth it?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Lee valley sells irons but I think they are like $40 or something? A bit expensive unless you really love your old plane. That's why I can't decide what to do with this off brand #4 I got, the iron and cap are garbage but the body itself seems OK. Seems expensive when I could get a whole plane for the cost of a new iron, and I already have a working #4 too so there's not much incentive.

Maybe I'll just keep it around for spare parts or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Geop posted:

Anyone tried making their own wooden planes?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=52609

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Gorgeous stuff; I'll dig through these tomorrow. Thanks so much for the link!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I don't think it's on youtube but Paul Sellers also has a separate website and there's some videos available there with a free membership. One of them is making a rebate plane from nothing but an old chisel and some scrap wood: https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/2014/09/making-rebate-plane/

He also has a series on making small curved wooden planes but that requires a premium membership or maybe just a one-off fee? https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/secure/past-projects/ I've never bought anything from his site but one of the free videos there actually covers hardening the irons for that wooden plane.

I'm sure there's other resources for making a more standard wooden plane though (like the above)

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
One of the other teachers I work with built himself a wooden block plane at his previous school. It's not a massively complex construction from what I've seen. I think the hardest part was finding the brass to make the screw cap and handle

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I don't think it's on youtube but Paul Sellers also has a separate website and there's some videos available there with a free membership.
Yeah, I have membership for his videos and I definitely recommend it for anyone who's a traditional woodworker! Many projects are almost 10 videos long, and each is around an hour. Wonderful if you don't have access to a teacher.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

One of the other teachers I work with built himself a wooden block plane at his previous school. It's not a massively complex construction from what I've seen. I think the hardest part was finding the brass to make the screw cap and handle
Yeah, they are relatively simple, but the construction of the throat and that whole area seems very specific and kind of intimidates me; maybe the videos/guides I've looked at were overly pedantic about some details :psyduck: I'll give it a go at some point, but will probably muck around with general designs. Thinking a big ol' jointer plane is the first one on my list, as I've just got a reliable #4 currently.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Creepy.

Here is the last plane I made. A shooting board plane with the iron set at a compound angle.

https://instagram.com/p/svSHUblSG-/
https://instagram.com/p/s6EEdRFSBW/
https://instagram.com/p/s6D120lSA7/

mds2 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 12, 2015

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

mds2 posted:

Creepy.

Here is the last plane I made. A shooting board plane with the iron set at a compound angle.

https://instagram.com/p/svSHUblSG-/
https://instagram.com/p/s6EEdRFSBW/
https://instagram.com/p/s6D120lSA7/

dang.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

Yeah I was kinda surprised by how much "krausen" developed in a just a day. The video I saw the guy just soaked his equivalently rusty plane in white vinegar for a few days and it came out looking perfect.

I suppose if you want it done faster you'd use a stronger chemical, but I'm not in a rush

I am considering buying a new iron for it since the one on there is curved for smoothing. Is that worth it?

I've had good luck with water, borax, an old trickle charger and some junk rebar. Just don't get your leads confused.

http://www.wwgoa.com/article/removing-rust-with-electrolysis/

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I put together a work bench using lovely Home Depot wood. You can see the poo poo quality of the wood in this picture. I have already covered said bench with crap! Am I doing this right?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

El Jebus posted:

I put together a work bench using lovely Home Depot wood. You can see the poo poo quality of the wood in this picture. I have already covered said bench with crap! Am I doing this right?

needs more clamps

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just go ahead and build the whole bench out of clamps.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But then what do you do if you need to clamp something? :ohdear:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Buy more clamps!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

El Jebus posted:

Well, you're making beer already so everything should be fine.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

El Jebus posted:

I'm jealous of your kettle

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I started restoring one of my dads old Stanley. I wondered if simply sanding the handle and pummel thing would be a good way to make it nice again or if I needed to strip it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Holy moley at the end part in this video (matthias wandel video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQAsYwF8oM

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

Holy moley at the end part in this video (matthias wandel video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQAsYwF8oM

The fact that he had a kid or his pocket hole hate?

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

I started restoring one of my dads old Stanley. I wondered if simply sanding the handle and pummel thing would be a good way to make it nice again or if I needed to strip it?

I have made mistakes regarding sentimental type objects and I've realized that the dirt/patina/damage can be a large part of the memories associated with it. It's kind of like the ship of theseus, except there is actually a point where it ceases to be the original object.
If it were mine I'd just make it function well and then leave it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

LookieLoo posted:

I have made mistakes regarding sentimental type objects and I've realized that the dirt/patina/damage can be a large part of the memories associated with it. It's kind of like the ship of theseus, except there is actually a point where it ceases to be the original object.
If it were mine I'd just make it function well and then leave it.

Agreed. I can't see stripping an old tool. Maybe the OP can post a pic or 2?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What I've learned about sentimentality is if that object reminds you of a specific memory (involving you and someone special) then keep it the way it is and put it on display; if it reminds you of a person or a circumstance then make it usable. Otherwise you end up preserving a bunch of unusable tools (junk) with vague memories attached. I also think in terms of ... 'If I died, what would my kids do with this?' If the answer is, 'get rid of it;' then I might as well restore it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

wormil posted:

What I've learned about sentimentality is if that object reminds you of a specific memory (involving you and someone special) then keep it the way it is and put it on display; if it reminds you of a person or a circumstance then make it usable. Otherwise you end up preserving a bunch of unusable tools (junk) with vague memories attached. I also think in terms of ... 'If I died, what would my kids do with this?' If the answer is, 'get rid of it;' then I might as well restore it.

Yeah there's no real memory to speak of. That's just a thing that was in my dads basement since forever. It's from my grandfather that used it when he had his farm back when my dad was a kid to do some farm stuff. Still decided to keep the black handle and such because it seems quite hard to sand with the tools I have + now that the rest of the plane is starting to look good, the aged handles give it a nice look.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ptier posted:

The fact that he had a kid or his pocket hole hate?

Pocket hole hate is nothing surprising or wrong, it is a beautiful thing that should be encouraged.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Pocket hole hate is nothing surprising or wrong, it is a beautiful thing that should be encouraged.

Eh, his attitude of "they're not the best way to do things, but they do make it happen fast" is pretty much dead on in my book. They're great for a pretty limited set of applications when it comes to "fine woodworking", mostly shop furniture and face frames, but when it comes to just putting stuff together when you don't have a planer/table saw/whatever and are stuck using S4S lumber and the like, pocket holes are great. I jammed together a quick cedar side table in like an hour over the weekend because it was nice out and I wanted somewhere to rest my beer using like ten bucks of wood, a miter box + saw, a kreg jig, a cordless drill, and a block plane. It's hardly the prettiest thing I've ever made, but in terms of price, durability, and time spent, it beats the pants off of the ones I was looking at from garden shops and the like.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Years ago I went through that phase, 'I won't use any metal fasteners in my furniture.' And I didn't. But these days I don't care what other people do. Wandel has used pocket holes in his country shop videos, he just didn't use a 'pocket hole jig' and he tried to hide it by setting the camera far away. I don't take any of it seriously, it's just an attention thing. Controversy is good for views.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I started designing a table in sketchup today, it's supposed to be an outdoors table.

Cross leg design and a 45 degree trestle instead of one that goes straight between both legs.

I first designed it without the two beams that run along the middle of the underside and was thinking I'd just use a tenon and mortise to anchor the trestles to the top, but I started wondering if the design was weak in the middle so I added to the two center beams to the bottom. They are attached with dowels. The leg assemblies and table top are supposed to be able to be disassembled.

The table top will just rest on the legs without fastening, unless perhaps I make some dowels I can drive through and then remove for disassembly.

Close up of the table top bread board and also the batten is a hidden sliding dovetail batten, which will help keep the boards aligned.

The cross legs will be 4x4 laminated from thinner pieces to prevent them from twisting.

I was planning to laminate the top because I want one solid top, but given that it will be an outdoors table, should I forego that idea? What alternatives are there if I want the top as one solid piece and not a bunch of loose boards? Mechancal fasteners?

I took inspiration for this table from a swedish woodworking firm making similar tables, though they are indoor tables:
http://grunna.se/kryssbord/

Not in english but I guess you can watch the pictures if you wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wormil posted:

Years ago I went through that phase, 'I won't use any metal fasteners in my furniture.' And I didn't. But these days I don't care what other people do.

Counterpoint, brass looks stunning against some red woods.