Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MunchE posted:

The thing is it's only some shocking circus sideshow if you're somehow fooled by the notion that "Small Town Brewery" could possibly not actually be a tiny brewery from a small town and just a marketing name.

No, I'm quite certain that the articles and podcasts and associated bufoonery is the circus regardless of whether or not I'd ever even heard of this thing I don't want to drink before "everyone" knew the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

toenut posted:

I'm mad that I bought a 6-pack of it and it's terrible. Still trying to figure out alternate uses for it.

I bought a few sixers to send to Furious Lobster but could only fit so much in the box. So i'm bringing the last six camping with me and will pawn them off on unsuspecting friends.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

I bought a few sixers to send to Furious Lobster but could only fit so much in the box. So i'm bringing the last six camping with me and will pawn them off on unsuspecting friends.

I still have some remaining from that box since I tried a couple of bottles and then quietly forgot about them.

On a different aside, are the Oregon people going to be at de Garde for the August release? I'll be coming up again with some friends and it'd be nice to hang out.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If you would like to do a bottle share around GABF, please shoot me a PM with the following:

-Approximate number of people you are bringing, including yourself
-Days/times when available
-Any space you have available for a share and its estimated capacity

Once I have that, I'm willing to do the legwork on getting the rest of it together. It might seem a bit far out timewise, but on the odd chance we have as large of a group as last year, I'd like to be able to snag another cool place to get together and drink beer.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer
Thank Eejit for doing the work to put together a share during GABF. Last years was a ton of fun.

Now that tickets have been sold, who is going to be at GABF sessions or other events? I'm doing What the Funk (managed to get a VIP ticket!) and the Friday evening GABF session. Never been to the actual event before, pretty excited for it even though it will be a poo poo show. Anybody who is in town for GABF and vising Fort Collins should shoot me a message, I would love to meet up for a beer with anyone who is in town.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Retemnav posted:

Opened a 2013 BCBS for the cellar raid tonight and drat is it still good.

I opened a 2012 BCBS for my birthday a month ago. It was pretty loving stellar.

Also hi, I still exist kinda (I used to be Ubik but I got better)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Are you still at Lag in Chicago?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kaiho posted:

Are you still at Lag in Chicago?

Sure am! I work in filtration now.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Sure am! I work in filtration now.

Have had a couple of quart bottles of Sucks carted over to me to London by friendly folks. Jebus, what an easy-to-drink beer.

We get it on draft too occasionally, but they intentionally keep the volumes quite low to keep it fresh.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

RocketMermaid posted:

I opened a 2012 BCBS for my birthday a month ago. It was pretty loving stellar.

i am called Ubik, but that is not my name

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Mmm, smells like a chicago event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/758946540882202/

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

That's some poo poo talking from a person who I can only assume started the riot at Huna Day 2014...

Also, no Chicago event is that well organized.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

That's some poo poo talking from a person who I can only assume started the riot at Huna Day 2014...

Also, no Chicago event is that well organized.

Ahahaha that was a fun year, but I bought my ticket way ahead of time.

I'll still be going because I'm picking up a zhukov from a friend but I doubt I'll really grab anything because it's going to be hot as hell tomorrow a bunch of BBA stouts out of a plastic cup sound totally awesome for 90degF and 100% humidity (assuming it rains)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ahahaha that was a fun year, but I bought my ticket way ahead of time.

I'll still be going because I'm picking up a zhukov from a friend but I doubt I'll really grab anything because it's going to be hot as hell tomorrow a bunch of BBA stouts out of a plastic cup sound totally awesome for 90degF and 100% humidity (assuming it rains)

I have tickets to eggs and kegs tomorrow morning at ccb, gonna laugh at everyone standing in line at Cycle while I drink penultimate push and eat loving delicious breakfast

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

I have tickets to eggs and kegs tomorrow morning at ccb, gonna laugh at everyone standing in line at Cycle while I drink penultimate push and eat loving delicious breakfast

:ssh: That's sunday.

And yeah the zhukov eggs and kegs ruled last year, enjoy it dude.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

:ssh: That's sunday.

And yeah the zhukov eggs and kegs ruled last year, enjoy it dude.

gently caress I have no idea what day it is

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

deadwing posted:

it's the first day of the rest of your life!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

Compliment the chef when you see him, he's a cool dude and his french toast is worth the price of admission alone.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Compliment the chef when you see him, he's a cool dude and his french toast is worth the price of admission alone.

he'll give you an extra slice if you mention how much you like his new haircut

(i don't feel like posting about beer today)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

he'll give you an extra slice if you mention how much you like his new haircut

(i don't feel like posting about beer today)

He shaves his head, and yeah he'll sometimes give you extras. He tried pawning off a bag of vodka infused cherries that were leftover on my friends last year for zhukov brunch and one time gave me his session berliner weisse one time because after he got it he noticed it was 1% and didn't want it.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I didn't make it out to Cycle last time I was in Tampa but Pegs was the greatest brew pub I've ever been to. Everyone was so nice and it had such a nice relaxed vibe. I could have stayed there all day.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

krustster posted:

This reminds me of the period of time where Belgian strong dark ales and tripels all tasted like tomato soup or spaghetti-o's to me. The other posts about brett sometimes being a dice roll make sense, although the ketchup/tomato soup thing seems to be a "once you notice it, you can't un-notice it" type of thing. In those cases it still technically tastes the same way to me but I associate it with something else...

Glad to know I am not alone on this one. Maybe I can convince my brain to think pizza instead of ketchup.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

Furious Lobster posted:

On a different aside, are the Oregon people going to be at de Garde for the August release? I'll be coming up again with some friends and it'd be nice to hang out.

Unfortunately I'll have to miss this release as I'll be busy running from Mt. Hood to Seaside.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

toenut posted:

Unfortunately I'll have to miss this release as I'll be busy running from Mt. Hood to Seaside.

Oh wow, good luck with that crazy run; I hope you can enjoy some de Garde after you've turned your bones into mush.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

toenut posted:

I'm going to miss it as well. Waited for a friend to get back to me on whether he wanted to go and it sold out in the meantime.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

sorry, gonna talk about beer:

Boulevard's "Aztec" imperial stout is loving awful- it tastes like Hardywood GBS aged on toothpaste

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Boulevard's "Aztec" imperial stout is loving awful- it tastes like Hardywood GBS aged on toothpaste

Huh. I drank one last night and found it... okay? Not nearly as good as the coffee version, but it came off as a standard "spiced" stout to me. Probably better than Abraxas...

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Is anyone going to Cycle tomorrow? I'm visiting a friend who just moved to Tampa and I haven't been to a beer event in forever. I'm not sure what beers to bring.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Is anyone going to Cycle tomorrow? I'm visiting a friend who just moved to Tampa and I haven't been to a beer event in forever. I'm not sure what beers to bring.

I wouldn't bring anything aside from cash and bags for a potential bottle release. Maybe you could bring some water/gatorade to deal with the heat since I doubt you're used to summer down here.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wouldn't bring anything aside from cash and bags for a potential bottle release. Maybe you could bring some water/gatorade to deal with the heat since I doubt you're used to summer down here.

Almost every event I have been to at Pegs involves bottle sharing of some kind. At the very least it happens in the inevitable line that forms hours before they open.

edit: There probably won't be a huge line actually, that only tends to happen during Tampa Beer week, but the comment about bottle shares stands. Its not necessary but could be a good way to meet people since you are new to the area.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Pirate Noir is irritatingly flat. Like, it tastes on the third sip the way a comparable BA stout does after it sits out for an hour.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

I'm with danbanana here, I had one and it was decent. Not mind blowing, not awful, but a good spiced stout....certainly not loving awful.

Picked up a sixer of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale tonight. I don't enjoy a lot of pumpkin beers, but this is one I could drink a case of...and normally do. I would recommend it if you see it on the shelves.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i do not like Christmas/pumpkin beers and similar because they are so overly-spiced that they no longer seem like beer to me. i feel Aztec leans way more in that direction than the likes of Hunahpu's and Mexican Cake, which are really good stouts that happen to have some stuff in them (and they don't taste like toothpaste). drinking a goon-provided CW Space Ghost right now and am enjoying it far more.

Apache
May 11, 2004

deadwing posted:

I'll be at kegs and eggs as well, hopefully I'll get some of the penultimate push, though they were warning that there wasn't enough for everyone with a ticket to get a pour.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I don't know practically anyone here in this massive slow-moving line. It's so depressing and confusing given that I can remember being at CCB events with literally 50-75 people in the old brewhouse. This is like twice the people that were at Hunah 2010.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I don't know practically anyone here in this massive slow-moving line. It's so depressing and confusing given that I can remember being at CCB events with literally 50-75 people in the old brewhouse. This is like twice the people that were at Hunah 2010.

My friend got there at 8:15am and was number 138. gently caress that stupid poo poo, why bother?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Cycle line waiting events can suck my balls, no beer is worth that

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I was 186. I got in after about an hour of doing literal nothing in line. Apparently you could walk up and get beer and walk back to the line. Oops. It was fine ultimately and I got bottles on a day where I didn't realize it was possible. Cool I guess. I just wanted to see a friend and maybe have some cool beer on tap and I walked out with Waelz so uhhhhh success I guess? Sorry I'm loving dying of heat stroke.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:rip:

I've spent today drinking Peroni and introducing my father-in-law to craft beers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

Cycle line waiting events can suck my balls, no beer is worth that