Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really enjoyed Fourze, but Cliff Racer made a couple of good points, especially with the two episode format and the pacing problems.

My biggest personal gripe with Fourze is that the middle section heavily focuses on the secondary Rider and I really hated his character. He got better but it took a long long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Onmi posted:

I thought the best part about it was securing what an insane goober he was.

Also been watching W and about to start on OOOs with a friend (I've watched both series previously but she'd never seen them) I was looking for opinons on the series afterwards, Fourze etc. And any good movies. Keep in mind that after the Begins Night section of Movie Core War 2010 she got extremely pissed (She's not a fan of Decade, the only part that got her smiling was that one character saying "Decade has no story") And her opinon on Kamen Rider W Forever was "It was alright."

But in short, if I could get any opinions on Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive and any of the movies between.

There's two W Returns movies. If she doesn't like W Forever, she probably won't like the Eternal movie, but the Accel movie is totally worth it. It's one of the better Rider films, and you get to spend watching Terui punch the hell out of everything that looks at him funny. It's pretty great. :swoon:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I found Fourze pretty terrible and Meteor was the only remotely interesting character (although that meant I got to enjoy the stretch of the story that focused on Meteor, which a lot of people that do like the show didn't like...)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I liked Fourze a lot, but the ending seemed kind of rushed. Kamen Rider has a tendency to drop the ball when it comes time to end the series. I think OOO is the only one I can recall off hand that ended in a graceful fashion. Gaim also ended in a graceful fashion, I guess, but it was a lovely ending. The last episode of OOO is really good, though, with a lot of heart to it.

It's like identical to the last episode of Kill La Kill, which I find amusing in retrospect.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kill La Kill's ending was based on OOO. The guy who made it was a pretty big fan of the show, and of Kamen Rider in general- it's why he made Fourze.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Kill La Kill's ending was based on OOO. The guy who made it was a pretty big fan of the show, and of Kamen Rider in general- it's why he made Fourze.

That makes sense. I didn't realize they were actually linked in that way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

That makes sense. I didn't realize they were actually linked in that way.

Yeah you get some six degrees of Kevin Bacon poo poo if you try to compare Toku and Anime along the ways. They're not too terribly distant from one another and have some overlap.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Fourze is interesting to me because the ending is very much similar to the Lost Galaxy ending I was praising like half a page ago; the last 8 episodes or so are just Gentaro and Ryusei getting creamed repeatedly and barely scraping by at not dying or utterly losing until the Finale where they barely manage to triumph.

I thought that was how Drive was going to go with Heart too just because of how strong he is but he's mostly been staying out of fights.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Onmi posted:

I thought the best part about it was securing what an insane goober he was.

The best part was seeing him claim that "Beam me up Scotty" was a famous catch phrase from Star Trek when it was never in the series.

deadly_pudding posted:

I liked Fourze a lot, but the ending seemed kind of rushed. Kamen Rider has a tendency to drop the ball when it comes time to end the series.

The one thing I really enjoyed about Fourze's ending was the fact that the writers completely ignored all the people in Meteor's space station.

"And eventually they were rescued by, oh, let's say...Moe."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wizard has great costumes and good fights also he rider kicks a dude into the sun. Fourze had the same lovely pacing and characters and was ugly as gently caress yet people still like it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
After years of oppression, the Wizard fans have come alive

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elfgames posted:

Wizard has great costumes and good fights also he rider kicks a dude into the sun. Fourze had the same lovely pacing and characters and was ugly as gently caress yet people still like it.

Actually Fourze was good

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Elfgames posted:

Hi.

You're completely wrong about the second sentence. Fourze was good and fun, and Wizard was bad and awful. He did have a nice base form, but that's all he has going for it. Again, the series was actually IMPROVED BY BRINGING IN DECADE.

Hold on, I don't think I made that clear enough:

IMPROVED BY BRINGING IN DECADE.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Decade was a bad series but be fair, Masahiro Inoue is so drat good, his presence would basically improve any modern toku series. Imagine how bad Decade would be if he didn't play Tsukasa

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Decade was a bad series but be fair, Masahiro Inoue is so drat good, his presence would basically improve any modern toku series. Imagine how bad Decade would be if he didn't play Tsukasa

I think they should bring him in anytime a series is floundering. He'd be amazing in Nininger.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Decade has the best transformation and music in the last 5 years of Kamen Rider

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
To be fair, Fourze did have lovely pacing and really goofy suits for the heroes (and the final villain).

On the other hand, I am permanently convinced that anyone who doesn't like the Kamen Rider Club missed the joke. They're supposed to be high school clique stereotypes until Gen gets them to open up about who they really are. Have you ever met a high schooler who didn't hide behind a clique-identity of some kind?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

Decade has the best transformation and music in the last 5 years of Kamen Rider

Yeah...next to Gaim, Decade has the best henshin sounds and music recently.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Poison Mushroom posted:

On the other hand, I am permanently convinced that anyone who doesn't like the Kamen Rider Club missed the joke. They're supposed to be high school clique stereotypes until Gen gets them to open up about who they really are. Have you ever met a high schooler who didn't hide behind a clique-identity of some kind?

Wasn't there an episode where the only lines Miu had consisted of her "OOPS" catchphrase?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I'm still waiting for a moment some apathetic villain doesn't care enough to ask Decade who he is just for Tsukasa to tap his foot waiting to deliver his "passing through Kamen Rider" line.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm half-convinced Masahiro Inoue acts in toku series he knows will be bad, entirely to add at least something good to them. I mean, the only two series with him I can think about are Kamen Rider Decade and Garo: Gold Storm, and both are bad series in overall good franchises.

And his reappearance was in Wizard of all things, as if to prove the point.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
At this point is it even fair to say that Garo is a mostly good franchise? Sure its a started good franchise, but all this recent stuff...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cliff Racer posted:

At this point is it even fair to say that Garo is a mostly good franchise? Sure its a started good franchise, but all this recent stuff...

Sounds like toku Highlander.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Sounds like toku Highlander.

Garo season 1 and 2 were great.

Haven't seen 4 yet though.

5 is...a sequel to 3. So. You know.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

5 is...a sequel to 3. So. You know.

Awesome and fun?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I heard the anime was good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Waffleman_ posted:

No, he said the anime is blood!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
The first half of Yami wo Terasu Mono was pretty bad but I don't really get the huge amount of hate people have for it and Gold Storm

Like, I wouldn't begrudge someone for choosing not to stick through the bad episodes to get to the good ones but I can't really pin down why people hate it with such a fierce passion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

No, he said the anime is blood!

Have a chicken nugget on me, friend

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

He's the only reason GARO: GOLDSTORM is tolerable.

Cliff Racer posted:

Three out of five TV series are good, two out of two movies that are on home video so far are good, two out of three of the short specials are good. Honestly even Black Blood wasn't terrible, it just spent way too much time hammering home the fact that women can't be knights, no matter how hard they try, to the point of tedium. I'd take it over YamiTera or the other Yasuko Kobayashi penned series featuring Riria last year. Also see the response to the next quote. So yeah, on balance I'd say so, especially since the strongly negative set is an entirely separate branch.

Waffleman_ posted:

It was, despite Kobayashi's last foray into the franchise being... less good (ZERO: Black Blood). It's definitely worth a watch if you liked the Saejima stories. The second anime is going to be helmed by Sho Aikawa with some Toshiki Inoue sprinkled in for good measure though, so hold on to your butts.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wizard kicked a villain into the drat sun and he and his show still ultimately went down as one of the most dull Riders ever. That's a feat and a half.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

AzraelNewtype posted:

The second anime is going to be helmed by Sho Aikawa with some Toshiki Inoue sprinkled in for good measure

oh.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Awesome and fun?

Jivjov continues to have the worst opinions humanly possible, surprising no one

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

Wizard kicked a villain into the drat sun and he and his show still ultimately went down as one of the most dull Riders ever. That's a feat and a half.

Yeah but fourze didn't do poo poo and people love his show Honestly i think they're about the same quality wise, fourze is just ugly as hell and almost every character makes me want to punch them at least half the time (yeah, i know they're highchool kids and this is normal) But wizard Looks cool has cooler fights and powers and has the best belt ever.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Hi.

You're completely wrong about the second sentence. Fourze was good and fun, and Wizard was bad and awful. He did have a nice base form, but that's all he has going for it. Again, the series was actually IMPROVED BY BRINGING IN DECADE.

Hold on, I don't think I made that clear enough:

IMPROVED BY BRINGING IN DECADE.

Every post Decade show would've been improved by bringing in Decade. :colbert:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Decade was a bad series but be fair, Masahiro Inoue is so drat good, his presence would basically improve any modern toku series.

This is all you need to know about Goldstorm, really.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Elfgames posted:

Yeah but fourze didn't do poo poo and people love his show Honestly i think they're about the same quality wise, fourze is just ugly as hell and almost every character makes me want to punch them at least half the time (yeah, i know they're highchool kids and this is normal) But wizard Looks cool has cooler fights and powers and has the best belt ever.
How does the Fourze cast irritate you but you're able to deal with Shunpei?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wizard's fight choreography actually got super-boring. He has a cool suit but the fights were incredibly dull for the most part.

Fourze didn't always have good fight choreography but at least it tried.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

This is all you need to know about Goldstorm, really.

Well that's an apt visual metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I like Fourze the character. I like his suit design, I like his personality. I like the tone of fun/silliness in equal measure. The whacky gadgets and the space theme just tickle that part of me that loved learning about space as a kid. Fourze rules.

.... that being said, I actually dont like the SHOW. I thought a lot of the stories were kind of boring, the villians were stupid, its takes too drat long to get going... I quit out 1/3rd into the series. I like Fourze's group of friends overall, and I think they did a good job casting it, but the stories failed to really keep my attention. Kamen Rider Beyblade didnt really click with me.

I like that Fourze is popular enough to make cameos in movies/video games or whatever, and I think that's where he shines.

• Locked thread