Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Magres posted:

If you haven't played it, check out Helldivers on PS3/PS4. It's basically Starship Troopers, the game. When you hose down enemies with your gun your dude shouts the cheesiest one liners like "HAVE A CLIPFUL OF LIBERTY!" "THIS ONE'S FOR FREEDOM!" "TASTE DEMOCRACY!"

Between missions you get media broadcasts about how the vice president of Super Earth (oh yeah, you're from Super Earth) has determined that the aliens have weapons of mass destruction capable of destroying entire planets. Despite publishing no evidence he's really really sure about it. And the people who objected and called him a liar were promptly corrected. Through public execution. And a terrorist who destroyed Super Earth oil rigs was executed and his last given statement was "I hate Super Earth. And all of its inhabitants. I hope every man, woman, and child dies painfully."

The whole thing is a beautiful mockery of right wing bullshit and the Iraq War and the fascist hellscape the tea party would turn things into if given free reign.

This sounds like an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MariusLecter posted:

I support repealing Birthright Citizenship if it means NO ONE is a citizen when born and can only be earned through service and fighting giant space bugs.

I'm pretty down.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Magres posted:

If you haven't played it, check out Helldivers on PS3/PS4. It's basically Starship Troopers, the game. When you hose down enemies with your gun your dude shouts the cheesiest one liners like "HAVE A CLIPFUL OF LIBERTY!" "THIS ONE'S FOR FREEDOM!" "TASTE DEMOCRACY!"

Between missions you get media broadcasts about how the vice president of Super Earth (oh yeah, you're from Super Earth) has determined that the aliens have weapons of mass destruction capable of destroying entire planets. Despite publishing no evidence he's really really sure about it. And the people who objected and called him a liar were promptly corrected. Through public execution. And a terrorist who destroyed Super Earth oil rigs was executed and his last given statement was "I hate Super Earth. And all of its inhabitants. I hope every man, woman, and child dies painfully."

The whole thing is a beautiful mockery of right wing bullshit and the Iraq War and the fascist hellscape the tea party would turn things into if given free reign.

:drat:
I shall seek out a lets play immediately.

Mister Macys posted:

The only difference between Starship Troopers (the movie), and the current GOP, is that the Republicans don't think women should be allowed to serve in the military.

Basically, they still want to repeal female voting rights. :haw:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Matt Walsh talks some more about Josh Duggar:

Very religious married man with cool tattoos posted:

I'm not too proud to admit when I was wrong. So, yes, I was wrong about the Duggar situation. If you recall, several months ago it was revealed that Josh Duggar, the oldest son in the "19 Kids and Counting" clan, sexually abused his sisters when he was 13 or 14 years old. This revelation was used by many anti-Christian folks as a way to "prove" that all Christians are hypocrites and the whole "family values" thing is a shame, etc.
I wrote a post in the early days of that story pointing out that the liberal outrage over sexual abuse seems to be rather selective and insincere. I further said that Christian ideals aren't disproved just because one Christian fails to live up to them. And I also said that, by all accounts, Josh has repented and changed his ways, and he should be forgiven.
I stand by the first two parts of my argument, but on the last I was misguided. Reports surfaced yesterday alleging that Josh Duggar paid for and maintained two Ashley Madison accounts over the last two years. Ashley Madison is a dating site for married people seeking affairs. It was hacked this week and the records of 30 million adulterers were released. Josh is one of the 30 million. Just in the last hour or two, Josh admitted publicly to the affairs, so this is no longer "alleged." He went from sexual abuser to serial adulterer. These are facts.
On the profile, Josh specifies that he's looking for "one night stands" and "experimentation" and other things in that vein. It's disgusting. The man has a wife and several kids, and in between trolling for affairs, he was on TV presenting himself as a Christian role model.
So I was wrong about Josh Duggar being a repentant man. Clearly, he isn't. Or at least he wasn't. Maybe now he'll finally begin the process, but it's certainly impossible to believe that someone could be truly sorry for past sexual sin while currently in the process of fishing for affairs and "experimental" one night stands.
He's a traitor to his family. I feel awful for them, and I pray that Josh really does come to Christ. Beyond that, I pray his wife and kids somehow recover from all of the shame Josh has brought upon them. Because, let's be clear, if you sign up for an adultery website and then your information gets hacked and your family ends up embarrassed and devastated -- that is YOUR fault. You are the one who victimized them. The hackers acted illegally, but this all happened because of your choices. Don't want your information stolen from an adultery website? Don't sign up for an adultery website. Pretty simple formula.
I must also admit that the more I think about this, I realized I was too easy on the the Duggar parents as well. Jim Bob and Michelle knew that their oldest son was struggling with severe sexual sin, they knew their daughters had been abused, they knew their family was in the midst of moral and spiritual turmoil, yet they STILL decided to put themselves and their children on TV for ten years.
That's really just not a justifiable decision. Josh Duggar is CLEARLY not equipped to be a world famous face of Christian values, but he was put in that position -- as were all the Duggars -- by the Ma and Pa Duggar. That doesn't excuse what he did, but it does indicate that his parents were supremely reckless and self-serving. I generally am not a fan of parents putting their kids on TV -- especially for years and years of their lives, depriving them of a normal childhood -- but to do it when there's sexual abuse going on inside your home? Inexcusable.
In any case, we learn yet again that, as Chesterton said, the Christian ideal has never been tried and found wanting, but it has been tried and found difficult. To live up to our faith is difficult. Nobody does it perfectly -- I know I certainly don't -- but when we put ourselves in front of the world as role models, we are called to carry an even heavier burden of responsibility. Even those of us without a worldwide audience still have that burden, and we are still role models in some capacity, but the more people you have looking up to you, the more profound the duty.
I don't blame Josh or his parents for being imperfect. But I do blame them for climbing onto the stage and seizing the limelight when they were clearly so compromised.
The fall of the Duggar family is sad in many ways, and I am still sickened by those who are taking pleasure in it, but this is a tragedy precipitated by conscious decisions. This is sin. This is what sin does. You might think it will bring you pleasure, but in the end it can only destroy.
I guess that's the lesson. If only we didn't have to keep relearning it.
We live in a sick world, everyone. And Christ is the only medicine.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Every time I hear somebody screaming about the millions and millions of illegals here I always ask them one simple question; how do you deport 10,000,000 people?

Like seriously, how do you move that many people and more importantly who is going to pay for it?

I also ask how they plan on getting that many people positively identified as illegals. Are you going to, for example, deport a guy who just forgot to grab his wallet going out the door that day? It isn't required to carry your ID with you every where you go if you're a citizen. You need to have your driver's license when you're driving sure but what about a dude out for a jog or something? Sorry Manuel, you're darker than a paper bag. Doesn't matter that you don't speak Spanish, have never been to Mexico, and were born in Manhattan to American citizens. No ID, it's deport o'clock for you, bucko.

Actually anytime between the annexation of California and other Mexican territory and up until the 1950s this was standard operating procedure. Yes, even for the second and third generation Mexican-Americans.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

quote:

I'm not too proud to admit when I was wrong. So, yes, I was wrong about the Duggar situation. If you recall, several months ago it was revealed that Josh Duggar, the oldest son in the "19 Kids and Counting" clan, sexually abused his sisters when he was 13 or 14 years old. This revelation was used by many anti-Christian folks as a way to "prove" that all Christians are hypocrites and the whole "family values" thing is a shame, etc.
I wrote a post in the early days of that story pointing out that the liberal outrage over sexual abuse seems to be rather selective and insincere. I further said that Christian ideals aren't disproved just because one Christian fails to live up to them. And I also said that, by all accounts, Josh has repented and changed his ways, and he should be forgiven.
I stand by the first two parts of my argument, but on the last I was misguided. Reports surfaced yesterday alleging that Josh Duggar paid for and maintained two Ashley Madison accounts over the last two years. Ashley Madison is a dating site for married people seeking affairs. It was hacked this week and the records of 30 million adulterers were released. Josh is one of the 30 million. Just in the last hour or two, Josh admitted publicly to the affairs, so this is no longer "alleged." He went from sexual abuser to serial adulterer. These are facts.
On the profile, Josh specifies that he's looking for "one night stands" and "experimentation" and other things in that vein. It's disgusting. The man has a wife and several kids, and in between trolling for affairs, he was on TV presenting himself as a Christian role model.
So I was wrong about Josh Duggar being a repentant man. Clearly, he isn't. Or at least he wasn't. Maybe now he'll finally begin the process, but it's certainly impossible to believe that someone could be truly sorry for past sexual sin while currently in the process of fishing for affairs and "experimental" one night stands.
He's a traitor to his family. I feel awful for them, and I pray that Josh really does come to Christ. Beyond that, I pray his wife and kids somehow recover from all of the shame Josh has brought upon them. Because, let's be clear, if you sign up for an adultery website and then your information gets hacked and your family ends up embarrassed and devastated -- that is YOUR fault. You are the one who victimized them. The hackers acted illegally, but this all happened because of your choices. Don't want your information stolen from an adultery website? Don't sign up for an adultery website. Pretty simple formula.
I must also admit that the more I think about this, I realized I was too easy on the the Duggar parents as well. Jim Bob and Michelle knew that their oldest son was struggling with severe sexual sin, they knew their daughters had been abused, they knew their family was in the midst of moral and spiritual turmoil, yet they STILL decided to put themselves and their children on TV for ten years.
That's really just not a justifiable decision. Josh Duggar is CLEARLY not equipped to be a world famous face of Christian values, but he was put in that position -- as were all the Duggars -- by the Ma and Pa Duggar. That doesn't excuse what he did, but it does indicate that his parents were supremely reckless and self-serving. I generally am not a fan of parents putting their kids on TV -- especially for years and years of their lives, depriving them of a normal childhood -- but to do it when there's sexual abuse going on inside your home? Inexcusable.
In any case, we learn yet again that, as Chesterton said, the Christian ideal has never been tried and found wanting, but it has been tried and found difficult. To live up to our faith is difficult. Nobody does it perfectly -- I know I certainly don't -- but when we put ourselves in front of the world as role models, we are called to carry an even heavier burden of responsibility. Even those of us without a worldwide audience still have that burden, and we are still role models in some capacity, but the more people you have looking up to you, the more profound the duty.
I don't blame Josh or his parents for being imperfect. But I do blame them for climbing onto the stage and seizing the limelight when they were clearly so compromised.
The fall of the Duggar family is sad in many ways, and I am still sickened by those who are taking pleasure in it, but this is a tragedy precipitated by conscious decisions. This is sin. This is what sin does. You might think it will bring you pleasure, but in the end it can only destroy.
I guess that's the lesson. If only we didn't have to keep relearning it.
We live in a sick world, everyone. And Christ is the only medicine.

:irony:

The entire surface of the United States should have exploded into a fiery hellscape over the irony contained within that statement.

I also love that this fucker needed proof of adultery in order to denouce Josh Dugger.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

:irony:

The entire surface of the United States should have exploded into a fiery hellscape over the irony contained within that statement.

I also love that this fucker needed proof of adultery in order to denouce Josh Dugger.
Also this part:

Matt Walsh posted:

liberal outrage over sexual abuse seems to be rather selective and insincere.

we're gonna need a bigger irony meter

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Matt Walsh talks some more about Josh Duggar:

Summary: I know he molested children, but this adultery with consenting adults is a bridge too far!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

He went from sexual abuser to serial adulterer.

Way to present adultery as worse than child molestation, Matt.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Summary: I know he molested children, but this adultery with consenting adults is a bridge too far!

And it's sorta liberal's fault for criticising the Duggars for protecting a peadophile. Not because of the terrible child endangerment of course, but because they were Christian. Thereby forcing Matt to defend them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"We live in a sick world, everyone. And Christ is the only medicine."

The problem is, it doesn't seem to be more so about the "World" in this situation.

Josh Duggar was raised in an extremely christian household. His "knowledge" of the "World" is extremely limited. This is a man that probably didn't listen to mainstream music, didn't watch television or didn't see mainstream movies. He was likely homeschooled in the "ACE" type of environment.

The "World" is a non-factor here. What wound up doing him in was a very weird interpretation of the bible that seems to treat women as non-factors and treats sex as some weird forbidden fruit that should never be done outside of a boring form of a wedding.

"The Bible" in the way it was presented, was the problem Matt.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm pretty down.

Would you like to hear more?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They said gay marriage would destroy the institution of marriage. Between Fogel and Dugger it seems like that prediction totally came true. Checkmate, libtards.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

They said gay marriage would destroy the institution of marriage. Between Fogel and Dugger it seems like that prediction totally came true. Checkmate, libtards.
Aigh! We are undone! Hoisted on our own petard!

This Ashley Madison leak is going to be amazing. Er. Amazing-er.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Didn't you know the real scandal is that AM was used by the homosexual in countries where homosexuality is punishable by death? While you are busy scoring political points crowing at a man like Dugger making mistakes, real people are losing lives. This is just one of many examples of liberals being soft on the muscleman.

Why are you celebrating Dugger's downfall while homosexuals are being uncovered and killed in Tehran? Why do you support coddling the Iranian regime?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

The only difference between Starship Troopers (the movie), and the current GOP, is that the Republicans don't think women should be allowed to serve in the military.

Basically, they still want to repeal female voting rights. :haw:

That and like 90% of citizenship was earned via non-military service(this was an important but not often mentioned point due to the focus of the novel, most people just did 2 years of civil service jobs instead). The right just likes to fetishize Starship Troopers as a ideal where the citizens exists to serve the military/government, not the other way around.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pentyne posted:

That and like 90% of citizenship was earned via non-military service(this was an important but not often mentioned point due to the focus of the novel, most people just did 2 years of civil service jobs instead). The right just likes to fetishize Starship Troopers as a ideal where the citizens exists to serve the military/government, not the other way around.

Yeah and the character chooses the military service route anyway because he's kind of a gently caress up, iirc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah and the character chooses the military service route anyway because he's kind of a gently caress up, iirc.

It's been a long time since I read the book, and the movie treatment has infected my awareness of it so I can't remember what was Heinlein and what was "FASCISM IS ACTUALLY loving TERRIBLE" from Verhoeven and the sequels.

On a side note, the last in the Starship Troopers trilogy has, among other things, a bunch of Christians being executed for daring to oppose the government. There is also the head of the Sky Fleet who is basically an idol singer who records stirring patriotic ballads that are major pop hits, and literal copies of Nazi SS uniforms for the intel agents. By the end, there's a shadowy government meeting where they acknowledge that Christianity is becoming more and more popular, so they make it the official religion in order to control it to suit their agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

pentyne posted:

It's been a long time since I read the book, and the movie treatment has infected my awareness of it so I can't remember what was Heinlein and what was "FASCISM IS ACTUALLY loving TERRIBLE" from Verhoeven and the sequels.

On a side note, the last in the Starship Troopers trilogy has, among other things, a bunch of Christians being executed for daring to oppose the government. There is also the head of the Sky Fleet who is basically an idol singer who records stirring patriotic ballads that are major pop hits, and literal copies of Nazi SS uniforms for the intel agents. By the end, there's a shadowy government meeting where they acknowledge that Christianity is becoming more and more popular, so they make it the official religion in order to control it to suit their agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

Barring the music video, if you swap out "Federation" for "America" I wouldn't be able to tell that apart from the other billion lovely HOORAH MURIKA KILL THE DARKIES TERRORISTS country songs out there

god that's terrifying

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Magres posted:

Barring the music video, if you swap out "Federation" for "America" I wouldn't be able to tell that apart from the other billion lovely HOORAH MURIKA KILL THE DARKIES TERRORISTS country songs out there

god that's terrifying

Check out the live action Halo movie (Forward unto Dawn?) on Netflix

Space Fascism! Jahvowl!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Lets get down to business / to defeat / the bugs!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McDowell posted:

Check out the live action Halo movie (Forward unto Dawn?) on Netflix

Space Fascism! Jahvowl!

Yeah except that poo poo is awesome :colbert:

(I'm a sucker for Halo games, even though I know the entirety of human society is double-hosed up in them)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pentyne posted:

Well in the book, Rico's dad gives up his lucrative executive job running some big company or bank or whatever to enlist as a 60-year-old private and he's like "man this is so much better than my old life, what a waste that was".

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

James Garfield posted:

Way to present adultery as worse than child molestation, Matt.

Unless I'm forgetting about some passages the Bible does too, so why wouldn't he?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

FuzzySkinner posted:

What wound up doing him in was a very weird interpretation of the bible that seems to treat women as non-factors and treats sex as some weird forbidden fruit that should never be done outside of a boring form of a wedding.

"The Bible" in the way it was presented, was the problem Matt.

It's not so weird an interpretation, you essentially just described the writings of Paul. It's just as arguable that by failing to follow Paul's guidance on how to treat women and sex, mainstream Christianity is the weird interpretation. His works are included in what is considered the infallible word of God, so pretending that they don't exist or are not applicable is essentially going against God. I'm not sure why he's so ignored since he's a huge part of the New Testament.

Fun fact: Paul was demanding women wear head coverings before Muhammad made it cool.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paul is ignored in mainstream Christianity because we tried enforcing his weird sexual hangups on everyone and the results were terrible, hth.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Paul is ignored in mainstream Christianity because we tried enforcing his weird sexual hangups on everyone and the results were terrible, hth.

The evangelical station I listen to literally references him more than they reference you know...Christ himself.

I've really grown to loathe that man.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Well in the book, Rico's dad gives up his lucrative executive job running some big company or bank or whatever to enlist as a 60-year-old private and he's like "man this is so much better than my old life, what a waste that was".

The last half of that book was a flaming trash heap that I refuse to acknowledge

He probably was loving it because he got to just sit around all day and zone out while the self-insert professor drones on and on

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VitalSigns posted:

Heinlein's whole thing in the end of the book seemed to be that doing good for others is better than just enriching yourself.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Heinlein's whole thing in the end of the book seemed to be that doing good for others is better than just enriching yourself.

No that was not the message of his dad regretting his life as a civilian and joining up as an old man to fight for the state.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Armyman25 posted:

Michael is a troll in the Rush model from way back. He is just saying this to get a rise out of people he's been on the radio in central Iowa for over 20 years. His schtick hasn't changed.

That doesn't really excuse it though, does it? It doesn't matter if he doesn't believe his own bullshit if other people do and it moves the window of acceptable discourse closer to pogroms.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

It doesn't matter if he doesn't believe his own bullshit if other people do and it moves the window of acceptable discourse closer to pogroms.

The Overton Window in this country is absolutely hosed. Our left is the center.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

FuzzySkinner posted:

The evangelical station I listen to literally references him more than they reference you know...Christ himself.

I've really grown to loathe that man.

God, Paul was such a loving rear end in a top hat. I think more people need to pull a Thomas Jefferson and cut out the lovely parts of the bible, although it's been so long since I've read it, I don't know if Paul has anything really useful to say aside from his fear and hatred of women, or if people could just toss out his entire chapters.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VitalSigns posted:

No that was not the message of his dad regretting his life as a civilian and joining up as an old man to fight for the state.

The identification of the state and humanity as one and the same can't be discounted easily, here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

The identification of the state and humanity as one and the same can't be discounted easily, here.

Well right, that's exactly what makes the book openly fascist.

Xanderkish posted:

God, Paul was such a loving rear end in a top hat. I think more people need to pull a Thomas Jefferson and cut out the lovely parts of the bible, although it's been so long since I've read it, I don't know if Paul has anything really useful to say aside from his fear and hatred of women, or if people could just toss out his entire chapters.

He had a bunch of good poo poo to say about giving to the poor and not hoarding wealth but for obvious reasons evangelicals only quote the parts that are useful to support their wish to own women and slaves.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Slaves and women, man. Order is important; they occasionally talk about respecting slaves.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VitalSigns posted:

Well right, that's exactly what makes the book openly fascist.

"The fact that the government in the book is a multicultural, egalitarian democratic republic with institutions designed to guard against the influence of elite interests and promote civic responsibility is what makes it fascist."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes, the lie that only a military dictatorship can save us from Jews shadowy elites is one of the openly fascist parts of the book, what is your point.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hang on. Was the government a military dictatorship or a democratic republic? I don't really see how basically anything can accurately be called both of those at the same time. Though I guess it depends who you ask :shrug:

(never read the book, just seen the movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Magres posted:

Hang on. Was the government a military dictatorship or a democratic republic? I don't really see how basically anything can accurately be called both of those at the same time. Though I guess it depends who you ask :shrug:

(never read the book, just seen the movie)

The franchise was restricted to former military only, although if you couldn't hack it in actual combat arms they would find something else for you to do: federal service "is either real military service... or a most unreasonable facsimile thereof".

So I guess it was democratic and egalitarian in the sense that voting was open to anyone who was willing to spend X years in state indoctrination run like by the military...ie neither democratic nor egalitarian.