Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Look at the waffle on those boots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
JUMP is off this week right?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Think so. Not seeing any Bleach/OP/etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a holiday, yeah. Last week was a double-numbered issue, which they do before breaks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Horikoshi did some fanart on his Pixiv.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That is fuckin dope

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think you mean fresh.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I love this trend of manga artists making the freshest fan-art for Splatoon. And they look great in Horikoshi's style too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's honestly hard to even recognize that that isn't official art.

Splatoon having happened is a great thing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

chumbler posted:

It's honestly hard to even recognize that that isn't official art.

Splatoon having happened is a great thing.

I don't even have a WiiU and I'm always hyped for the fanart. It looks ... really fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chinese scans are up for the impatient.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Very :stare:
Stain is positively loving livid at Hands McGee getting Deku.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Comparisons to The Punisher are proving more and more apt.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Stain is the true hero we need, but not the hero we deserve.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Spoilers about Gran Torino: Gran Torino's quirk called "Jet" is being able to shoot air out his legs. However, said air is the air he breathes in. Doing it too many times in a row takes a toll on him since he's old.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Chinese scans are up for the impatient.

hello abaj my old friend

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
F-A scans are out.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
drat awesome chapter, I love how he draws Stain.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Thanks for the link, good chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Stain is such a great character. I'm glad he's getting the attention he deserves.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What is going on in the second to last panel (the one where it says "So drat noisy...has the moron come out yet? I'll dispose of him later.") I can't tell who's talking or what they're supposed to be talking about.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Stain, talking about hands guy, I'm pretty sure

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Phonies that have overrun society? Stain is basically this guy, isn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Man that was super cute when Deku called the new Nomus running around "Nomu's Brothers." :3:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Is it just me, or is this week's translation really off? I was reading words but it seemed as if nothing made sense and like Ytlaya said, sometimes I couldn't tell who was speaking or what they were referring to.

That said, :drat: I was not expecting that last twist. I just can't not like this guy anymore.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Eh this week was faster than usual, and their translation is already kinda shaky. So that's to be expected.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the translations have been garbage for a while now and i hate it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What sucks is that while the official Viz translations have been a lot better they're kinda overly literal/dry and even their editors kinda gently caress up off and on.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
It's not just the translators. The mangaka uses narrative textboxes (for lack of a better word) fairly often and it is confusing. In my opinion he should restrict narration, inner thoughts and brief flashbacks only to Midoriya, unless he is absent from the scene. And he should avoid having characters remember previously spoken words by other characters when those characters are also (still) active in scene that is actually taking place.

EDIT: although maybe it's less confusing in Japanese because it's more obvious from the language being used which character is speaking/thinking.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish the translators weren't so liberal in their use of the word "man" and swearing in general.

I can understand Bakugou, given who he is, but having the other characters use it seems weird.

EDIT: That being said, I love "Midoriya, my boy!" so much. It fits perfectly with the jovial image I have of All Might.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The narrative textbox thing is like an homage to the narrative style of American comics.

The problem is that Midoriya seems to kinda exaggerate a bit, or is something of an unreliable narrator.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Piriwi posted:

It's not just the translators. The mangaka uses narrative textboxes (for lack of a better word) fairly often and it is confusing. In my opinion he should restrict narration, inner thoughts and brief flashbacks only to Midoriya, unless he is absent from the scene. And he should avoid having characters remember previously spoken words by other characters when those characters are also (still) active in scene that is actually taking place.

EDIT: although maybe it's less confusing in Japanese because it's more obvious from the language being used which character is speaking/thinking.

The other problem is that in order to do everything he wants to show off in the story he'd have to draw a few extra chapters for this resolution alone if he doesn't use text boxes. Being able to say "Oh yeah btw Gran Torino shows up" is much easier than 2 extra chapters that just focus on them.

You can tell from his art this chapter that he's getting super strapped for time too. I'm not sure if he had an assistant switch to photoshop and try to redraw a few panels or something, but there's tonnes of art mistakes and sloppy work going on. Especially the long shot of Midoriya getting nabbed by the flying Nomu - that panel is just a huge sloppy mess compared to his previous chapters. Hell, for half the chapter people have weird tiny baby claw hands and messed up perspective.

It'll probably get better in the next few weeks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Started reading this the other day after being recommended it as "top-shelf shonen". It's very good, but it's definitely shonen as gently caress, and sometimes not in a good way(10 chapters in). Some real fun characters though, All Might is superb and the best character so far as expected, Deku's got a neat gimmick but his character is about as "shonen protag" as they come, Bakugou's comically narcissistic, Urarako's completely adorable and her superhero outfit reminds me of Roll from Megaman, and I will be supremely disappointed if she doesn't use her gravity power to Fastball Special some motherfuckers at some point, and Iida is pretty amazing in his over-the-top attempts to be strict and rules-lawyering, with cute attempts at improvisation like his little villain speech.

I'm liking it a lot, I dunno if I'd put it in the same tier as One Piece or Assassination Classroom, but it's very fun so far.

I liked the Mario gag and the robot designs during the initial test, and the straight up Rocky montage during All Might's training regimen was great. His unpowered design reminds me of someone, I can't remember who, but it seems strangely familiar for some reason. That he can't go five seconds without coughing up blood but is completely fine despite it is great, too.

edit: a lot of the costume designs are great, too. Deku's is suitably humble in everything but the goofy headgear, and that's got a reasonable inspiration. Only one I hate is the other main girl, who is basically just wearing a swimsuit with a full-torso V-neck. Nothing really interesting.

also, :drat: at gigabaps here, makes me wonder if the author drew these interpretations as a surprise for his assistants, wonder what she thought of that

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 25, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

Started reading this the other day after being recommended it as "top-shelf shonen". It's very good, but it's definitely shonen as gently caress, and sometimes not in a good way(10 chapters in). Some real fun characters though, All Might is superb and the best character so far as expected, Deku's got a neat gimmick but his character is about as "shonen protag" as they come, Bakugou's comically narcissistic, Urarako's completely adorable and her superhero outfit reminds me of Roll from Megaman, and I will be supremely disappointed if she doesn't use her gravity power to Fastball Special some motherfuckers at some point, and Iida is pretty amazing in his over-the-top attempts to be strict and rules-lawyering, with cute attempts at improvisation like his little villain speech.

I'm liking it a lot, I dunno if I'd put it in the same tier as One Piece or Assassination Classroom, but it's very fun so far.

I liked the Mario gag and the robot designs during the initial test, and the straight up Rocky montage during All Might's training regimen was great. His unpowered design reminds me of someone, I can't remember who, but it seems strangely familiar for some reason. That he can't go five seconds without coughing up blood but is completely fine despite it is great, too.

edit: a lot of the costume designs are great, too. Deku's is suitably humble in everything but the goofy headgear, and that's got a reasonable inspiration. Only one I hate is the other main girl, who is basically just wearing a swimsuit with a full-torso V-neck. Nothing really interesting.
All Might's twerp form looks really familiar to me too but I can't really place my finger on where I've seen something like it.

Also yes, it is a crime that Uraraka has not fastball specialed anyone yet. It better happen.

Horikoshi has chops when it comes to character designs; just wait for the villains to start appearing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, the villains from this include some of my favorite from manga in general. You should be meeting one of them soon too, I think.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fabricated posted:

All Might's twerp form looks really familiar to me too but I can't really place my finger on where I've seen something like it.

Oddly enough, this was the closest I could ever think of.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I honestly got a The Maxx vibe from the twerp from of All Might. Kinda suits him, with the whole crazy homeless guy who wishes he could be a hero actually becomes a hero thing (and everything gets way worse because of it).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, you weren't kidding on the villains front. Some of those designs are amazing. Dude with a bunch of hands all over him is a great creepy design.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The class isn't really doing team attacks now, but one day...

Yes, I know I posted this same image earlier in the thread, but I love it.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, what a disappointment. You've got this incredible two-page spread lineup of awesome badass teacher superheroes in intricate garb and then the one woman among them is just in loving S&M gear with a bullwhip. I expected way better, frankly. Not like he's incapable of good female character designs, frog girl, head jack girl, and urarako are great designs. But that is so...expected.

Everything else so far is great, and all might's art style clashing with everything else continues to be a great gag, but that was a real eye-roller.

The frog girl is awesome, too. The triple attack with deku, her, and sticky kid on the boat ruled.