Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Another dog at work decided to share a bed when told to go lie down.

Remy didn't seem to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

It's Casey's birthday today!

That means more burgers.

Casey, you're not very good at this.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Casey is so lovely! I really like all those little spots. Happy birthday spottydog

I've learned that no matter where I am or what I am doing or who I am with, if I see someone with a greyhound, I immediately say "greyhouuund!"

This is in opposition to my quietly saying to myself "aw doggie" or "aw kitty" if I see a dog or cat about. (Or just blurting out 'doggie' or 'kitty' if I am with friends)

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Casey!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Bump

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
https://youtu.be/3_AFu6iFs0s

Why does my dog keep doing this? It doesn't damage anything but I do have to clean it every so often now...

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 13, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My money's on, it wasn't so clean to start with and there's an interesting flavor there :D

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Why does my dog keep doing this? It doesn't damage anything but I do have to clean it every so often now...

Our greyhounds do this too. Sometimes on the floor, mostly on sides of the bed. I've woken up at 2 in the morning to find them licking a patch, then woken up again at 4 to find them still doing it. I have no idea why either.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Mine does this too, although we have hardwood and only a handful of area rugs. I always wrote it off because dogs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby does that after there's been a treat in that area, I'm guessing licking up crumbs

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Wren will randomly lick the hardwood floor around her bed, I always just assumed she was bored and looking for attention.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Sometimes Remy will start to lick his elbow or something then drift a bit and just continue licking the dog bed, but other times he'll just start licking desks or the floor or whatever, so I dunno.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Moral of the story is that dogs are weird.
Proof:

There is a bed next to them and these dummies don't even care.

In fact, there are two beds for two dogs. And they are in between them.

Dogs.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Dogs

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dogs

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They like to lie on tile to cool off. :science:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Bump for greyt justice

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Root that snoot :3:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

At work, we just moved from the third floor on one side of the building to the second floor on the other side. Lost a really awesome view, but more significantly, there's construction happening across the street on this side. Remy dislikes loud mysterious noises, and has been spent a lot of the past couple days being scared, often attempting to dash away down the hallway (doing so more then once when he seems to have calmed down and is asleep, then the construction site drops something heavy and he is suddenly in flight mode), and forcing me to (lightly) barricade the entrance to the team area. Today he was calm, so I went off to play ping pong on the third floor after lunch with a coworker. Right at the end of the game, I notice him walk out of the elevator. I assume somebody recognized him and sent him to the third floor where they may have remembered was his previous home base, but it was still pretty weird. Hopefully he'll be desensitized to the construction soon and can sleep all day again without getting spooked. Any ideas on how to expedite that desensitization? He's adjusted to the (similarly bad at times) city apartment quite well but that was pretty securely established as 'home' all along.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Maybe Remy is smarter than you think and knows where you went and how to work the elevator.

I am not a dog expert, but my grey was pretty spooked about a lot of things at first. Aside from general comfort (familiar smells and objects, consistency) it was largely me not considering the noises and events as anything out of the ordinary. I would just ignore it all and treat her calmly, not letting what we were doing get interrupted. If she got upset I wouldn't fuss on her, just say "it's ok, good girl" and maybe a little head touch.

Distraction with a frozen treat or something might work, to give him something to focus on other than the noises? Alternatively, a thundershirt or a pheromone product might help.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

He does seem better today (after an initial bolt attempt), so I suppose it's just a matter of time. Also one of the coworkers he likes to hang around is back from vacation, so maybe that will help too.

Have a picture of a concerned greyhound.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

So pretty, greys are just the prettiest. :3:

You probably know already, but keep an eye out for panting, even if he's otherwise calm. Panting can be a sign of anxiety.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Faith No More shared these hella rad tour posters by an Argentinian artist on their Facebook page today. I want them a lot.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My friend's greyhound is really rad.

I'm super impressed with the dog and my friend. After getting a rescue greyhound, she got a pup from a breeder and raised her with sports and performance in mind. And, well, now she has a greyhound that will vault after a disc in front of hundreds of people. Rad! I love it when people break the mold with their dogs.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Is this the one you've posted videos of in the past? They are both rad, indeed. :hellyeah:

I would love to do stuff like that with my dog but considering she can barely handle the stairs in my house, i think her having the coordination to do agility and the like is kind of out of the question.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
That's really neat.

I've been trying to teach Wren how to catch treats, mostly it just smacks her on the snout, and then she runs away (after grabbing the treat).

Anyway, here she is enjoying the ungodly hot weather we've been having lately:

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I'm not really fishing for anything in particular, but does anyone with a silken windhound want to share some comments or impressions on the breed?

My living situation finally allows for a dog (and will continue to, foreseeably) and a sighthound seems like the best fit from the research I've been doing, but as windhounds are relatively new it's hard to get an idea of what to expect in terms of (non-aesthetic) differences compared to a greyhound.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

tirinal posted:

I'm not really fishing for anything in particular, but does anyone with a silken windhound want to share some comments or impressions on the breed?

My living situation finally allows for a dog (and will continue to, foreseeably) and a sighthound seems like the best fit from the research I've been doing, but as windhounds are relatively new it's hard to get an idea of what to expect in terms of (non-aesthetic) differences compared to a greyhound.

They are a relatively new breed. Generally they're considered healthy, but I know of a few people who claim that there is some incidence of chronic bone density issues within the breed. One friend had to have her dog put to sleep due to repeated leg breaks (after having a leg removed after a bad break). She warned me off of the breed. Other people within the breed contest those allegations. It's a pretty small community since the breed is still rare. Drama drama.

They're pretty much the most attractive dogs in the world and I want one just on principle. I'm told they're a bit more biddable than greys or borzois, but are still decidedly sighthounds. They're not as biddable as whippets. I was looking at one as a potential sports prospect, so biddability is a big thing for me.

E: They have a Facebook group that you can join and get some people to weigh in on more specific questions, if you have them.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Apparently this is Tess's bed now.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

As a note, that bed is normally made, and the red comforter is there to keep the dogs from messing it up. It did not work this time.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I especially like the last one. Wanna pet dose long silky earsies.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Genovera posted:

Apparently this is Tess's bed now.
Natch. I mean, what did you expect??

Fuzz Feets posted:

I especially like the last one. Wanna pet dose long silky earsies.
Yessss. Such ear

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yesterday was Wren's birthday! :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I adore how many dogs get burgs in this thread :3:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

It is right there in the thread title. These dogs need their burgers. We would be irresponsible not to give them burgers.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Wren! You have similar 'wrinkle lines' to Reese. Hope you enjoyed your burger.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I need to learn how to get Abby to lay down in the backseat. I use a harness because she insists on always looking out the window. Tomorrow is our four year adoption anniversary!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

How old are your dogs? Mine is turning grey in the face and she's only 5.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

If you look closely in the photo a braided pizzle was involved in evoking this harmonious scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

various cheeses posted:

How old are your dogs? Mine is turning grey in the face and she's only 5.

My hound is five now but he's had old-dog muzzle since I got him at two. In his case it's just the white fur on his underside encroaching on a black muzzle.