Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it a fundamental flaw of the design, or might it be an aged mold like the robot arms on the exosuit just produced some pieces that were out of spec?

I mean they have to have built the set in their offices right? Maybe they just had super grippy friction pins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So were the rumors of a recall/revision completely false? I've put off buying Wall-E as a precaution.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It's possible, but there's a lot of weight being spun on that pin. It's also not a standard technic pin, it's the pin on a clicky elbow joint, and I think it's a softer plastic than standard technic pins use. The friction spots also seem smaller.
There are four points of articulation: a double-wide click hinge at the base of the neck, a double-wide click hinge midway up the neck, a click elbow at the top of the neck, and the pin for the head swivel. The click elbow hinge can support the weight just fine. I just pulled the neck out, and the base hinge is -much- weaker than the mid-neck hinge. It has a significant amount of play, while the mid-neck one is much stiffer. The neck base are a pair of black 1x2 with vertical single-finger click, and the mid-neck is a pair of stone gray 1x4 double-ended (double vertical and single vertical) click, and the upper neck is a pair of stone gray 1x2 vertical double finger click. The black pieces have a slightly different design on the fingers.
The neck's click hinges can't support the weight of the head, either: if you tilt him back ~15 degrees, his head pivots back, it pulls the neck all the way back, and it'll pull the entire poor robot onto its back.
I tried swapping the black and gray 1x2s, but it didn't make an appreciable difference in neck strength.

The neck needs a complete redesign; I don't know how this made it through development. Rubberized ball joints would have made a better choice, I think; movement outside of one direction could've been prevented with good technic design. Or maybe a technic lift-arm hinge system. I'd like to see a crazy technic genius figure out something with linear actuators or pneumatics and power-functions for the neck & head.

Ah, here's some people discussing some options: http://brickset.com/article/16465/what-s-wrong-with-21303-wall%E2%80%A2e

From the comments, it sounds like Lego is sending replacements for some of the neck hinge pieces (quality control issue for North America, I think), but they haven't addressed the neck pivot. Someone replaced the gray click-hinge pin with a black one from another set and it helped quite a bit with the pivoting.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 3, 2015

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Yeah the weight of the head is the real problem. I think even if the pivot pin was like the black pins (essentially no-spin) I think the weight would still be enough that if you had some tilt on it the head would still roll to the back. I'm not sure how then can fix this honestly. I can see them doing something because Lego is a good company but it's not as simple as a replacement part ala BttF. Will be interesting!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They're unveiling new Star Wars sets today ahead of them going on sale. I have to say although I am disappointed there aren't entirely new design starfighters, that X Wing looks pretty nice, except for making the gun clusters way too big with spring shooters. But the way the 4 engines come together in flight mode to look like 2 larger engines is pretty slick.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Will these be available at midnight on the Lego site or do I have to wait two weeks for them to replenish the in store stock?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I did the midnight at Toys R Us. About a hundred people there, and they had some people in storm troopers come around for us to take pictures with while we were waiting. At midnight, they let us in in groups of 25; as soon as we came in, we were given a free poster, a placemat, and the free brick. I picked up the Troop transporter and was tempted by the micro machines.

After building the transporter, I'm pretty happy with it. Phasma owns, and the other minifigures are pretty good. The troop area is actually pretty spacious, and can fit all four people. Plus there's an area for a driver, and a compartment for someone to man the turret. It does have wheels on the bottom so you can scoot it around a table, and the back engines look fantastic. Only a handful of stickers too, even though I hosed up one of them. The little mechanism for opening the troop area is pretty neat and works well. Phasma's gun is silvery and looks badass.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We did midnight at TRU too. Everyone was there for the figures. We were about 20 people back and worried we wouldn't get what we wanted (Millenium Falcon) but everyone just huddled around the figures and we were able to pick up the Falcon, a BB-8, and check out quickly.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I've never had any of the Bionicle or action-figurey Lego stuff but bought the new Darth Vader model that came out today. I loving love it. The first half of the build is all Technic, then the second half is all big moulded pieces and it doesn't *really* look like Lego at the end but it does look bloody fantastic sat on my PC.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I did the midnight thing too, on a whim. Holy poo poo people went insane for those figures... are they just flipping them?

Anyway they had like 3 of each 6" figure, but TONS of the lego sets.

Of course in the true spirit of the evening, I left the store with a set... their last Wall-E :P

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

pzy posted:

I did the midnight thing too, on a whim. Holy poo poo people went insane for those figures... are they just flipping them?

Knowing what you know about Lego reselling just by reading this thread, what do you think?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gosh, Kylo Ren's saber is done so cheaply in the new sets.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I generally resell Lego to pay for other Lego, I guess it makes sense that's what the in-line-at-midnight action figure guys are doing too. Capitalism to boost more capitalism!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I bet that goon who bought 25 sale B-Wings shoved at least ten kids out of the way to get at the new sets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Naw, one look at the jorts and they clear out on their own.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

Gosh, Kylo Ren's saber is done so cheaply in the new sets.

How would you like it done? I think if they cut the saber bar down really small and made the lightsaber handle accommodate three bars (for the cross-guard), the cross-guard "beam" parts would be way too small a piece.

If you take a look at other toys by other manufacturers they are also doing clever designs to make the blade a single piece of material.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

[quote="Zodack" post="449814377"]
How would you like it done? I think if they cut the saber bar down really small and made the lightsaber handle accommodate three bars (for the cross-guard), the cross-guard "beam" parts would be way too small a piece.

If you take a look at other toys by other manufacturers they are also doing clever designs to make the blade a single piece of material.
[/quot

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just went by my local Target (I live in Atlanta and Toys-R-Us is pretty far away from me) and picked up Poe's X-Wing. I had intended to also get the Troop Transport, mainly for Phasma, but I didn't expect it to be $89.99. I'll probably just buy Phasma, Kylo Ren, and one of each of the new troopers individually. Plus maybe Han if he goes for a reasonable price.

That being said, the X-wing is such a great build and I was expecting the old S-foil trick but instead they "click" into and out of attack position. It's still a rubber-band and gear/winch deal, but the way they designed it makes it so much better.

My dresser by my desk has a new addition.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 5, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zodack posted:

Just went by my local Target (I live in Atlanta and Toys-R-Us is pretty far away from me) and picked up Poe's X-Wing. I had intended to also get the Troop Transport, mainly for Phasma, but I didn't expect it to be $89.99. I'll probably just buy Phasma, Kylo Ren, and one of each of the new troopers individually. Plus maybe Han if he goes for a reasonable price.

That being said, the X-wing is such a great build and I was expecting the old S-foil trick but instead they "click" into and out of attack position. It's still a rubber-band and gear/winch deal, but the way they designed it makes it so much better.

My dresser by my desk has a new addition.

Do the closed wings droop like the older models? Ordered this bad boy plus the TIE off amazon.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do the closed wings droop like the older models? Ordered this bad boy plus the TIE off amazon.

They don't - these are lighter and are held together by two blue bands.

It's an incredibly cool build. It's also neat how the wings are laid out. Not the same as the old X-wings. I guess you'll see what I mean.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 5, 2015

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

TRU in my area looked like it hadn't even been touched this evening so I grabbed Vader and Jango and then a fistful of monster minifigs that were all unique. Great day for Legos :unsmith:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I bet that goon who bought 25 sale B-Wings shoved at least ten kids out of the way to get at the new sets.

I love that people are still upset about this like four years later lol. I have yet to meet a UCS collector who didn't buy like 5 to speculate with.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

The Rage posted:

I love that people are still upset about this like four years later lol. I have yet to meet a UCS collector who didn't buy like 5 to speculate with.

I love that people still white knight a reseller four years later.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm sad 4 years later that I didn't get one 50% off just for the parts and the fun of building it once maybe.

Vvvv look how it turned out! I hope the TIE is doing better...

Dogen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 5, 2015

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
4 years later I'm amazed Lego made a UCS bwing

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I love that people still white knight a reseller four years later.

Lol yeah, pointing out the sadness over one guy buying 25 B-Wings = white knighting. Wash your jorts bro, there are new Star Wars sets to buy 25 of today, now's your chance!

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Just sayin', the UCS B-Wing is still way cooler than the UCS X-Wang :colbert:

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I don't understand how it is sad that someone bought 25 b-wings...he has quite literally doubled his money. sounds like a good investment to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're not allowed to make smart investments without also being a babyeater.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

When I picked up Wall-E at TRU when they opened on sale day, the jort wearer that was also there picking it up made a point to ask me if he could have the one they gave me (they only had 3) because his box was dented. I told him no, then opened it in front of him :smug:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I haven't really done anything with Lego over the last couple years, except for a couple minifigs here and there. Today I bought both the new X-Wing and Tie Fighter. The Wall-E is also a must-buy when it gets released again.

Anyone know a good guide on how to hang Lego stuff like planes and spaceships from a ceiling? I'm thinking of displaying these new sets, along with my USC Tie Interceptor and my (both hot glued gently caress) X-Wing and Falcon in my bedroom in flight.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Did you keep eye contact while you did it?

How are those Star Wars Build a figures? Luke and the Stormtrooper look kind of neat, but the two Bionicle guys I got had some shoulder issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

When I picked up Wall-E at TRU when they opened on sale day, the jort wearer that was also there picking it up made a point to ask me if he could have the one they gave me (they only had 3) because his box was dented. I told him no, then opened it in front of him :smug:

I bet there's a reaction post on forums.legojorts.com raging about this one rear end in a top hat that ripped open a "mint condition box" with no regard to its future theoretical value.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I missed my chance to buy the previous Millennium Falcon, but still want to get it. Is the price for the set just going to keep climbing, or will the new Falcon keep its price stable?

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 6, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

xzzy posted:

I bet there's a reaction post on forums.legojorts.com raging about this one rear end in a top hat that ripped open a "mint condition box" with no regard to its future theoretical value.

Not Lego, but I stopped in the K-Mart by my hotel just to see what they had left from Force Friday. I found a bunch of employees cleaning up what was left and one of them told me that several of the people who had lined up at midnight refused to let the cashiers handle or even bag their toys because they were worried about the packaging getting hosed up. I can't imagine being a sad enough individual to care about the condition of the packaging on a children's toy that will never be worth more than $10.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The new X-Wing is a small evolution over the previous one, but how the engines come together and the new canopy piece are big highlights. I also like the stud shooters as proton torpedo launchers. The BB-8 is cute and I like having an Oscar Isaac minifig, and the way they have the goggles integrated into the flight helmets now is pretty cool. Getting the ladder and maintenance vehicle like in the Naboo Starfighter set is nice as well. Finally, the spring shooters don't bulk up the guns as much as I had worried.

For the record I got the last one at Target at like 9am this morning because I was killing time while my wife was doing a training ride for a bike race. I got a free Star Wars lunchbox and I was wearing blue jeans, not jorts. My fattest at is flattening the box because I thoughtlessly left it on the floor.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2015

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not Lego, but I stopped in the K-Mart by my hotel just to see what they had left from Force Friday. I found a bunch of employees cleaning up what was left and one of them told me that several of the people who had lined up at midnight refused to let the cashiers handle or even bag their toys because they were worried about the packaging getting hosed up. I can't imagine being a sad enough individual to care about the condition of the packaging on a children's toy that will never be worth more than $10.

But their investment!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I feel silly but I really hope they release a new UCS Millennium Falcon to match the new old one from Ep. 7.

A manchild can dream.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

ijyt posted:

I feel silly but I really hope they release a new UCS Millennium Falcon to match the new old one from Ep. 7.

A manchild can dream.

This 1000000x - also give it both satellite dishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This 1000000x - also give it both satellite dishes

Yes!

And an interior this time.