Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

quote:

"When I was listening to [Krakauer], I thought about his advice," says Tyler. "But he doesn't know me. He might have experienced different things than me. I don't suffer altitude sickness. I might have a better summit day. I might just do better than him."

Jesus Christ. This is incredibly depressing. :smith: I can't mock him—he's a kid, and kids are stupid. But this—

dumb kid's dad posted:

It's not me saying he can do it. It's [the professional guides Tyler has been climbing with for three years] who have climbed the mountains. They're saying he can do it.

YOU ARE THE PARENT, rear end in a top hat. Just....ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't wait for him to reach the summit, say "gently caress you old man" like that other guy and disappear forever.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

effervescible posted:

Jesus Christ. This is incredibly depressing. :smith: I can't mock him—he's a kid, and kids are stupid. But this—

YOU ARE THE PARENT, rear end in a top hat. Just....ugh.

Meanwhile the professional guide quoted in the story, Dave Hahn, who has more experience on Everest than any non-Sherpa, basically says flat out that the kid couldn't do it and shouldn't try it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Eh, let him go. Get him a support squad of tween Sherpas. Film for Disney Channel.

Edit: I like how it says he's done 3 of the 7 Summits, when yeah, I mean, true, but Kilimanjaro is a low grade hike, Elbrus has a goddamn cable car, and Aconcagua is doable without ropes from the Northern Approach. I just wonder if he cable-carred Elbrus or actually upclimped.

Edit2: Lol he wants to do the North Ridge on Everest. Probably safer nowadays what with the lines, but still that's a significantly more technical climb. Also China outlawed that. He'd have a much easier time of bribing the Nepalis to grant him a permit given the recent troubles.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 9, 2015

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I feel like this falls under the type of (neglect or abuse?) where the kid will only eat chicken nuggets or has a life threatening condition and they pray to god or use alternative medicine

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yes.

Let him climb.

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, MORE SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bet you could pack a whole lot more child corpses on the summit than regular sized human corpses.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

I bet you could pack a whole lot more child corpses on the summit than regular sized human corpses.

You could cover that mountain with like TRIPLE the amount of corpses! It'd be just like in a death metal video. It's good to have goals.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

rotinaj posted:

You could cover that mountain with like TRIPLE the amount of corpses! It'd be just like in a death metal video. It's good to have goals.
Then an enterprising artist could recreate the Barmaley Fountain on the top of the mountain.

Not sure about the croc, might have to carve it out of ice?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Surprised he hasn't done Mount Kosciuszko yet, since it's not exactly a trying climb. Or maybe he's doing the Puncak Jaya version of the Seven Summits.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CommunistPancake posted:

Surprised he hasn't done Mount Kosciuszko yet, since it's not exactly a trying climb. Or maybe he's doing the Puncak Jaya version of the Seven Summits.

Thats an understatement as to how easy it is, compared to Everest it's like walking to the shops to get groceries. When you've already done the 3 he has, unless its the last of the 7, it's not exactly worth spending a fucktonne of money to come here just to climb Kosciusko.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 9, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress you john krakuer you're not my real dad

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

rotinaj posted:

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, MORE SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

And we can be reasonably sure it's virgin blood. Will a virgin sacrifice quench the thirst of the Blood God?

No. No it will not.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
If he dies he dies

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Grr, that article says some american lad is the youngest to summit, that's not true anymore.

Oh, wait, she's Indian. Forget I said anything

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Hunterhr posted:

If he dies he dies
\

weirdest thing about Dolph Lundgren to me is he's mad brilliant, and was in grad school at MIT when he dropped out to play thugs for Hollywood full time. Guess it worked out alright though.

I don't know; it seems a bit of a shame for a kid to risk their life like that climbing Everest, but kids also compete in motocross and a bunch of other dangerous sports. I mean if life is pointless anyway what does it matter really. At what age does it become okay to risk your life for kicks?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to be the youngest person with my social security number to climb everest.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I want to be the youngest person with my social security number to climb everest.

Sorry mate a Russian hacker beat you to it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Broken Machine posted:

\

weirdest thing about Dolph Lundgren to me is he's mad brilliant, and was in grad school at MIT when he dropped out to play thugs for Hollywood full time. Guess it worked out alright though.

I don't know; it seems a bit of a shame for a kid to risk their life like that climbing Everest, but kids also compete in motocross and a bunch of other dangerous sports. I mean if life is pointless anyway what does it matter really. At what age does it become okay to risk your life for kicks?

Whatever age you are considered an adult capable of adult decisions and understanding what death is. So I guess 21 if you are American?

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Whatever age you are considered an adult capable of adult decisions and understanding what death is. So I guess 21 if you are American?

We try 12 year olds as adults here so they should be able to climb Everest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's the sort of statement that really drives me up the wall. Not everything that is "dangerous" is equally dangerous. The differences in amount of danger are enormous. There is a massive difference in risk between attempting to summit Everest, and doing kids' motocross.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

jeremiah johnson posted:

We try 12 year olds as adults here so they should be able to climb Everest.

So you can go to prison before your balls even drop but you can't have 1 sip of alcohol for another 9

w/e let the kid kill himself.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I thought the Nepalese considered the world's holy mother? Why are they letting a bunch of kids climb on our mom and die with their asses out?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ElGroucho posted:

I thought the Nepalese considered the world's holy mother? Why are they letting a bunch of kids climb on our mom and die with their asses out?

Money.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

18. The drinking age doesn't really work for age of adulthood since that's more about experience driving than experience of being a person.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CommunistPancake posted:

18. The drinking age doesn't really work for age of adulthood since that's more about experience driving than experience of being a person.

Your government doesn't trust you to be allowed alcohol and not drive, dunno sounds like you're still treated like a kid

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Your government doesn't trust you to be allowed alcohol and not drive, dunno sounds like you're still treated like a kid

There's more to being an adult than getting drunk.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommunistPancake posted:

for example, being allowed to decide if you get drunk

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

blowfish posted:

for example, being allowed to decide if you get drunk

But why is "being able to get drunk" the line for being an adult? There are lots of things the government doesn't let you do, why is drinking the important one?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CommunistPancake posted:

But why is "being able to get drunk" the line for being an adult? There are lots of things the government doesn't let you do, why is drinking the important one?

its like when you turn 10 and your parents start letting you be responsible

you are still 10.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CommunistPancake posted:

The "Working in IT" threads beg to differ.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

its like when you turn 10 and your parents start letting you be responsible

you are still 10.

Why does it matter that the government says you can drink? You're considered an adult by society. That's what's important. There are a lot of things that people of every age can't do in America, but that doesn't make them children either.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You cant even make all your decisions for yourself cause your government says you are still too much of a child to do it

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

You cant even make all your decisions for yourself cause your government says you are still too much of a child to do it

In some states, everyone is required to wear a seatbelt. Is everyone a child?

ps: sorry for this argument

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommunistPancake posted:

because it's part of the set of things that everyone can normally decide to do themselves but children can't

if there was no age limit on alcohol then it wouldn't be relevant

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'm pretty sure the 11 year old isn't going to get drunk on Everest.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

He could get laid if he brings some cash with him.

vvv Oh, please continue this loving boring derail about the drinking age as long as you can.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 10, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CommunistPancake posted:

In some states, everyone is required to wear a seatbelt. Is everyone a child?

ps: sorry for this argument

Thats for when you die and the government has to pay for someone's therapy after they scrape you up when someone else hit you

Sorry your government doesn't trust you to not have alcohol and drive aka treats you like a child I guess.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
If I told my dad I wanted to climb a mountain where the only thing separating life or death is pure chance / the whims of the mountain gods on any given day, he would tell me to stop being a little retard and go ride my bike for a while. And make me wash the truck for wasting his time. :bahgawd:

Seems kids these days need some light verbal abuse to show them that their childish fantasies are not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Mathematics posted:

If I told my dad I wanted to climb a mountain where the only thing separating life or death is pure chance / the whims of the mountain gods on any given day, he would tell me to stop being a little retard and go ride my bike for a while. And make me wash the truck for wasting his time. :bahgawd:

Seems kids these days need some light verbal abuse to show them that their childish fantasies are not going to happen.

:smug: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/03/27/history-made-teen-with-down-syndrome-reaches-everest-base-camp/

• Locked thread