Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mind the walrus posted:

I'm sorry if I stole your thunder.

Shook Ones, Pt. 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Context

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

That is really amazing.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
You can tell how good the reviews really are for any movie from the poster by checking how obscure the review sources are.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I can't even get mad at that. Well done, poster people, well done.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Officially licensed Raiders of The Lost Ark poster by JC Richard.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The MSJ posted:

Officially licensed Raiders of The Lost Ark poster by JC Richard.

I like the concept and the format, but it's like the artist didn't have the talent to fully take the poster to a finished, high-quality state.

It's like, a sketch Drew Struzan would make before he went on to make the final poster.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

This rules

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mind the walrus posted:

What's the name of this kind-of painting style? It was so popular from the 70s-90s and I adored it. I know Drew Struzan tends to do a Thomas Kinkade-y version of this style.

I'm not sure if there's a name for 80's airbrush pin-up art, but that poster was done by Hajime Sorayama, who was primarily known for doing this:

Here's one he did for Naked Lunch:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not sure if there's a name for 80's airbrush pin-up art, but that poster was done by Hajime Sorayama, who was primarily known for doing this:

:nws:Sorayama you say?:nws:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

2 stars from the Guardian. That's harsh, but I commend them for putting that on the poster. You gotta be representative.

King Vidiot posted:

So good!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Squishy posted:

2 stars from the Guardian. That's harsh, but I commend them for putting that on the poster. You gotta be representative.

Ha, they are clearly trying to make it seem like a 4 star review with two of the stars hidden. I mean I think it's very wink wink nudge nudge, but still. Pretty clever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Holy poo poo :stare:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wait, why is that Legend poster good? I saw a post on FB about it too but didnt bother clicking thru.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Ok, that is fantastic. :lol: \/\/\/

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 9, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

Wait, why is that Legend poster good? I saw a post on FB about it too but didnt bother clicking thru.

The Guardian gave the movie a 2 star review (amongst generally other good reviews). So instead of just leaving it off the poster, they actually put it on there. But they positioned it between Tom Hardy's two heads. So it LOOKS like it's just another 4 star review obscured by their heads. But in fact it's a legit 2 star review just staring you in the face.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

EDIT: \/\/\/ Ok, that is fantastic. :lol: \/\/\/

Greetings fellow person who didn't read the context link, or is just blind to stars in reviews. Reminds me of the story of the musical that quoted a one-star review as "A Star! - The Daily Express"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Guardian 2 stars being smack dab in the middle is pretty brilliant.

Sucks the movie's getting mediocre reviews. I loved the 80s movie about the Krays so got all jazzed up when I heard Hardy was going to be in a remake. I'll still see it, but at least with tempered expectations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Poster Six-Pack: The Cheapest Special Effects Edition.

(AKA: Hope you're not reading the forums at work Edition)

I have always wanted see this movie after seeing it a million times in the back of old comics. Now I will watch it.

King Vidiot posted:

The most awkward art exhibit I ever went too involved him, Takashi Murakami's more sexual stuff and Jeff Koons and my fairly conservative in-laws.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^^ Adding more reasons not to watch that, I see. The only positive thing I've seen about it is the casting of Joe Gilgun as Cassidy.

ruddiger posted:

The Guardian 2 stars being smack dab in the middle is pretty brilliant.

Sucks the movie's getting mediocre reviews. I loved the 80s movie about the Krays so got all jazzed up when I heard Hardy was going to be in a remake. I'll still see it, but at least with tempered expectations.

It got one mediocre review. All the others are (so far as I know) genuine, and certainly both Empire and Total Film really liked it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Greetings fellow person who didn't read the context link, or is just blind to stars in reviews. Reminds me of the story of the musical that quoted a one-star review as "A Star! - The Daily Express"

Someone at The AV Club did a piece not too long ago about how they ended up a misleading quote on Accidental Love, the abandoned David O Russell movie that was kind of slapped together. It was literally the thing where they removed all the context to a phrase which then made it look like it was praise.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Do any films use review blurbs completely out of context like that? Something like "No one in their right mind would say this is the best film of all year." becoming "The best film of all year" - Review

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Four Lions had a great one:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Do any films use review blurbs completely out of context like that? Something like "No one in their right mind would say this is the best film of all year." becoming "The best film of all year" - Review

Most major films don't risk it, especially when there are enough very obliging reviewers around. The really really cheap ones do it all the time though. Like, A Talking Cat??-level films.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

^^^^ Adding more reasons not to watch that, I see. The only positive thing I've seen about it is the casting of Joe Gilgun as Cassidy.

It got one mediocre review. All the others are (so far as I know) genuine, and certainly both Empire and Total Film really liked it.

Eh, it's seems to have had quite a few mediocre reviews. For the broadsheets Peter Bradshaw also reviewed it for the Grauniad and gave it 3/5 and the Telegraph gave it 3/5. Variety's review (no star rating) echoes a bunch of the others I've seen: heaping praise on Hardy but being very lukewam about everything else. Granted I haven't seen it yet, but it seems like a fairly standard case of a great performance in an otherwise fairly run of the mill film. Incidentally, though I haven't read Total Film in ages I still assumed they were a fairly decentish source for film writing, but their Legend review seems really clunky and amateurish- anyone know if that's their standard now, or am I just being overly critical?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Like the first one. The second one is OK. Not a fan of the third one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm just sort of hoping that 007 becomes a General in the Skeleton Army at some point during the film.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Gonz posted:

I'm just sort of hoping that 007 becomes a General in the Skeleton Army at some point during the film.

James Bond learns of a horrifying worldwide conspiracy there is a skeleton hiding inside everyone

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Spazzle posted:

James Bond learns of a horrifying worldwide conspiracy there is a skeleton hiding inside everyone

Spectre credits music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6-ZGAGcJrk

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Someone very high up is very in love with that Skeleton Parade Scene from the trailer.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

mind the walrus posted:

Someone very high up is very in love with that Skeleton Parade Scene from the trailer.

It's a striking image.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

Well, isn't he already a commander in the royal navy? Seems like he'd be in line for a posthumous promotion when he joined up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

It's a striking image.

If it's the best they've got this close to release, I'm unimpressed.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

mind the walrus posted:

If it's the best they've got this close to release, I'm unimpressed.

I'm sorry.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

So could we just get you to stand in front of this other, better, poster, while we take a photo of you.

And If you could try and block out as much of it as possible, yeah that would be great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are they doing Baron Samedi again or is it just a reference?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Aphrodite posted:

Are they doing Baron Samedi again or is it just a reference?

It's a Dios De Los Meurte festival.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is Daniel Craig wearing that skeleton outfit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Daniel Craig wearing that skeleton outfit?

You see a glimpse of it in the trailer, I think it is.