Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Aquila posted:

Yeah it's stuff like this, perhaps smaller more power efficient (still full featured) cards will allow and lead to newer generations of smaller more space efficient cases.

Unrelated, looks like some rumors of 14nm process problems for AMD are surfacing, looks like it's time for the thread to swing back to panic buying Nvidia cards, it was a good week there for AMD with unfounded DX12 fears.

I was thinking right now the Asus 970 Turbo might be a good pick for cases like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-TURBO-GT...=asus+970+turbo

It's supposedly designed for SLI specifically so it should be a decent pick for a tighter space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Biggest human being Ever posted:

The 202 looks really nice but this review had it not handle a 980 super well, so I'm a bit hesitant about it:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1464-page5.html

Depends on if you want to use that case flat or standing, I think. I have read other reviews which have stated that the Node 202 cools better standing than laying flat. Furthermore, SPCR's reviews are aimed directly at the low-noise/zero-noise crowd. The kind of people who will undervolt a fan to 400 RPM to get the noise level they want, temps be damned.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You can get a set-top sized box and go for an SFX PSU :3:

Check out the Dan A4-SFX. It's about as small as you can conceivably make a mITX that mounts a full-size graphics card. GPU goes behind the mobo with a riser, PSU sits right on top of the mobo, your disk drives sit next to the PSU above the mobo.

Pretty much all mITX support full-size cards nowadays though, unless you're talking something that's deliberately super flat like the Rosewill RS-MI-01.

I have a build in an Asrock M8, it supports it. I have a second one I'm stockpiling for, in Raven RVZ01, which supports it. My Cooler Master Elite 130 could if I wanted to. Air 380T, BitFenix Prodigy, both support it. It's basically the norm nowadays. Heck, the uATX Prodigy can do full-size cards in SLI if you address the heat problems (blower coolers or a custom loop with a (possibly slim) 240mm rad, plus mods to keep PSU exhaust from getting re-ingested).

The other thing is that if you can get the PSU out of the case it would help the form factor, I think. They should make a PicoPSU with a dual-8pin output and like a 400-500W output, probably via a brick. They make them, some even with the GPU pins, but I haven't seen one that could do more than like a 750 Ti or maybe a 960.

Or like, one of those Dan cases with Crossfire or SLI on risers (the SLI bridge might be a problem). You might need a pair of PSUs at that point since SFX tops out at like 600w which doesn't leave much headroom for CPU even at 100% load, and the wattage ratings and power quality are a bit iffy at that level. So like, a pair of SFX PSUs above the mobo, try to slot them around the CPU cooler (turned on their side exhausting front/back?), SATA drives behind the mobo, an airgap, then 2 blower GPUs back to back, or something. You could probably fit it into something about the size of a Cooler Master 130, maybe a bit shorter front-to-back since you don't have any 3.5"/optical drive mountings. You could even do mITX at 8x/8x if your board supports bifurcation or you buy a riser/sitter with a bridge chip.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 10, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The Dan A4 thing is not as cool as just getting a 250w HDPlex PSU and building a PC like this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1526575/build-complete-little-mac-worlds-smallest-4-2l-gaming-htpc-steam-machine

If any OEM could just release a case with a 250w HDPlex PSU and an external laptop brick, we could all be enjoying these.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

Check out the Dan A4-SFX.

That case is seriously nice. I wondered for a while why there were no cases with the GPU behind the motherboard. The result is glorious.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Zo posted:

So I saw the GTX950's power requirement is only 90W, and right now I'm using a super old GTX460 that has a power requirement of 150W.

My CPU is still alright (overclocked quadcore i5 to ~3.3) so I was wondering if I could just swap in a GTX950 for a big upgrade there. Any flaws in my genius plan?

edit: this is a 6-year old build that I'm willing to fully replace but I dont need a huge upgrade, just enough to play stuff like BF4 at 1080p at decent frame rates.

I have a similar setup went from a 560Ti to a 960. The main benefit I've seen is that since I'm no longer maxing out my card in some games, it doesn't get really loud nor does it get as hot. It's nice to have a video card that isn't spinning its fans at 100% at all times.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't know what's worse, that one of our biggest enthusiast retailers only got five Nanos or that only three of them sold in the first day :golfclap:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of surprised, my OCed 980ti can occasionally drop from 60fps v-sync down to 30 during some Phantom Pain scenes with really intricate geometry, like an oil refinery and parts of Mother Base. This is only at 2560x1080. It's a really well optimized game but I guess that's just too much lightning and polygons.

I really wish AMD had *anything* competitive price/performance wise around the level of the 980ti, because my monitor already supports FreeSync so it'd be great to have it in these situations. Like, not having to pay the $300 GSync tax is probably worth something to a lot of people but AMD can't realize the opportunity.

Edit: Does anyone think between Intel heading towards Freesync, and all this DirectX 12 wizardry, and this NVLink business, that eventually there could be a way to pass an NVidia card's rendering to a motherboard's output, where an Intel CPU could inject Freesync into it without so much latency that it's rendered pointless? Or is that a pipe dream?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 10, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zero VGS posted:

I'm kind of surprised, my OCed 980ti can occasionally drop from 60fps v-sync down to 30 during some Phantom Pain scenes with really intricate geometry, like an oil refinery and parts of Mother Base. This is only at 2560x1080. It's a really well optimized game but I guess that's just too much lightning and polygons.

It could also be a CPU spike.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

cisco privilege posted:

I'd go for a more powerful GPU personally but if you're fine with a 460 it should be fine both performance and power wise. Which power supply is it though, as after that much time it might be a good idea to replace it anyways.

This little champ.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

At 650w it's overrated for my build by a decent margin already so i figure if i'm dropping to a less power hungry card it might be alright.

I was more nervous about whether there was some totally unforeseen (to me) problem with dropping a new GPU into 6 year old build since I haven't been following PC hardware much. Like if all the manufacturers decided to swap a connector in 2013 or something :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Aquila posted:

Unrelated, looks like some rumors of 14nm process problems for AMD are surfacing, looks like it's time for the thread to swing back to panic buying Nvidia cards, it was a good week there for AMD with unfounded DX12 fears.
Wasn't this basically the case with everyone who tried doing 14nm with a power envelope of over 10W? Nvidia and AMD haven't even gotten past the first tapeouts of their finfet tech.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

What are you using to make it display in 21:9?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

It could also be a CPU spike.

ya im not getting that issue at all. 2500k at 4.7 and a OCed 980ti. Mine hasnt deviated off 60 fps 2650x1600 ever. I am however using the recommended geforce experience settings.

Let me know if you figure it out, im curious

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Upgrading my graphics drivers, I realize that it's kind of weird that Nvidia has kept the brand 'GeForce' after all these years.

I remember when the first GeForce replaced the TNT2 accelerator card with an integrated 2D/3D chipset, and everyone thought it was a really awkward name that didn't roll off the tongue easily, but that it would also go into the dustbin of tech nostalgia in a year or two.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 11, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Silverstone is launching two interesting cases like that pretty soon, the ML08:

and the successor to the Raven, the RVZ02:

I could see myself getting one of those.
The RVZ01 and ML07 and FTZ01 already exist, and these new versions are basically the same case dimensions but slimmer due to removing ALL case fans. It remains to be seen whether that's a good idea or not.

But at least a small NANO sized videocard will let you fit a 3.5" hd in those cases, since the only room for one is next to the video card, unlike the RVZ01/ML07/FTZ01.

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

What are you using to make it display in 21:9?
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=30223&sid=a2a55fa384d2e8d250d5f5bd2ccfe942

You need to hex edit the executable.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Upgrading my graphics drivers, I realize that it's kind of weird that Nvidia has kept the brand 'GeForce' after all these years.

I remember when the first GeForce replaced the TNT2 accelerator card with an integrated 2D/3D chipset, and everyone thought it was a really awkward name that didn't roll off the tongue easily, but that it would also go into the dustbin of tech nostalgia in a year or two.

It's still a fairly cheesy name, to be fair. Especially that classic capital mid-word.
I guess they've just gotten used to it, and so has everyone else. Most of the time I see simply the number, or at most, GTX ###.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Remember when GTS and GS were a thing?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cardboard Box A posted:

The RVZ01 and ML07 and FTZ01 already exist, and these new versions are basically the same case dimensions but slimmer due to removing ALL case fans. It remains to be seen whether that's a good idea or not.

But at least a small NANO sized videocard will let you fit a 3.5" hd in those cases, since the only room for one is next to the video card, unlike the RVZ01/ML07/FTZ01.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=30223&sid=a2a55fa384d2e8d250d5f5bd2ccfe942

You need to hex edit the executable.

I mean, *I* think it makes sense. When the device's heatsink fans are right up against the case wall, so you don't need to move air into the case with other fans for the components to cool themselves, that's extra space you can use for say, wider/deeper heatsink fins.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Cardboard Box A posted:

I certainly hope the thermals work out, I find the slimmer cases to be a lot more visually appealing.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

ATI/AMD has always had a way better naming convention than Nvidia.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The 950/960 exist, what's the point? Intel has snacked away anything below that.
Unless you'd prefer to buy a mutilated 760 Kepler bin.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Craptacular! posted:

Tnt and riva 128 were both integrated 2d/3d chipsets I thought.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Don Lapre posted:

Tnt and riva 128 were both integrated 2d/3d chipsets I thought.

They were. The 3dfx Voodoo 1 and 2 were the only 3D-only cards as far as I can remember.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GokieKS posted:

They were. The 3dfx Voodoo 1 and 2 were the only 3D-only cards as far as I can remember.

I think PowerVR had some 3d only chipsets.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FaustianQ posted:

ATI/AMD has always had a way better naming convention than Nvidia.

Had.
Emphasis heavily on had.

sauer kraut posted:

The 950/960 exist, what's the point? Intel has snacked away anything below that.
Unless you'd prefer to buy a mutilated 760 Kepler bin.

Actually, not really.
The <950 cards are for OEM computers where the processor is a shite low tier i3, or worse, pentium.
And thus can't really do video streams very well.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 11, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Had.
Emphasis heavily on had.

Ah, that time before they rebranded old cards several times in a row, and actually had new chips top to bottom. What a time.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Had.
Emphasis heavily on had.

Hey, hey, the naming convention they have now is still fine in theory. R9 for enthusiast, R7 for mainstream, R5 for low end, single digit series number, double digit performance grade. RX 400 series should be good in this regard. Nvidia has gotten better though, GT for low end, GTX for mainstream up, Ti to indicate cut down high performance chips, single digit series number, double digit performance grade.

But yeah the HD years were pretty good because it had a very stepladder approach between generations that made it very easy to find equivalent cards. 2900 XT = 3870 = 4770 = 5670 = 7570 and so on.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

I think PowerVR had some 3d only chipsets.

They did. I remember working at a Computer Renaissance in the late 90's, and we sold/installed a few of them. Unlike the 3DFX Voodoo 1 and 2 cards, PowerVR didn't have VGA ports on them, and relied on the the 2d card to provide the RAMDAC and raster function.

I remember that they had a non-playable realtime demo for X: Beyond the Frontier, which seemed incredibly ambitious for a game of the time.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I'm having a small issue with my 980ti. During games like MGS5 and Mad Max, it freezes for about 3 seconds and then the game continues on like nothing happened. I never get the "Driver has crashed" messages so I have no idea if this is a game problem or something?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I certainly hope the thermals work out, I find the slimmer cases to be a lot more visually appealing.

Same here, I've been debating on using a smaller slim case for my dad's PC build since he's got limited room under or on his desk. I'd even settle for something that at least supports slim/low profile 120mm or 80/92mm fans, not a fan of passive cooling especially when planning to OC a bit.

Fat_Cow posted:

So I'm having a small issue with my 980ti. During games like MGS5 and Mad Max, it freezes for about 3 seconds and then the game continues on like nothing happened. I never get the "Driver has crashed" messages so I have no idea if this is a game problem or something?

Did you remove/reload drivers with DDU and safe mode when upgrading from your 770? What features in the Nvidia package are you installing by default? Personally I only load the PhysX and base graphics software and uncheck everything else, to me it's just extra bloat I don't need since I never use the Experience app or have any 3D capable stuff. Check for anything else running in the background too, might be worth having task manager open, sort processes by CPU usage, and see if anything specific is running when the freeze happens. Or keep track of the time it happened and check Windows event viewer, could have some info if there was a hardware/software problem. Otherwise, I wonder if it could be power related, you mentioned before you had a 650W supply but depending on age it might be on its way out, most are good for 4-5 years but tend to degrade over time past that point.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 11, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So I have a ridiculous opportunity to buy a Titan X for the same price as a 980 Ti. What's it like to use one as a gaming card? Does the blower sound annoying in actual use? I've read the reviews so I'm more interested in subjective experiences from people who've used them. Holy poo poo I can't believe I might get a Titan X how is this happening.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 11, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alereon posted:

So I have a ridiculous opportunity to buy a Titan X for the same price as a 980 Ti. What's it like to use one as a gaming card? Does the blow sound annoying in actual use? I've read the reviews so I'm more interested in subjective experiences from people who've used them. Holy poo poo I can't believe I might get a Titan X how is this happening.

That is ridiculous. You should resell on eBay and then buy a 980 Ti and pocket the difference.

Anyway, I don't have a TX but AIUI the reference 980 Ti is basically the same in terms of cooling. When it revs up it is unquestionably loud. 3DMark may make you fear for your safety. At idle it's definitely audible, but not atrocious. (My machine is on the floor and I'm at a standing desk, so about 7 feet from ear to fan.)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alereon posted:

So I have a ridiculous opportunity to buy a Titan X for the same price as a 980 Ti. What's it like to use one as a gaming card? Does the blow sound annoying in actual use? I've read the reviews so I'm more interested in subjective experiences from people who've used them. Holy poo poo I can't believe I might get a Titan X how is this happening.

The reference blower is excellent. Its not an annoying sound at all, just kind of an airy noise. No high pitch whine or anything. I run mine at around 60% in my sli setup to maintain ~80c @ 1313mhz

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Zo posted:

This little champ.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

At 650w it's overrated for my build by a decent margin already so i figure if i'm dropping to a less power hungry card it might be alright.
I still have a CWT-built 750tx about the same age running in a PC (and an OP650 that's at least 8 by now), so I'd not be surprised if it'll work fine for awhile yet that overspecced.

Though it's probably not a bad idea to look at retiring it sometime in the next year anyways since old PSUs can eventually die out over time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the tone is fine on the 980 Ti reference, it's just the hair-dryer volume. It's not bad by any means, I was just coming from MSI 970s which are very quiet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So if you wanted to watercool your Nano... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/r9-nano-waterblock-announced,30069.html

Additionally, it looks like Jayz sent his Nano over to Tech Report... http://techreport.com/news/29025/etc

So... that was productive, I guess.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 11, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

The reference blower is excellent. Its not an annoying sound at all, just kind of an airy noise. No high pitch whine or anything. I run mine at around 60% in my sli setup to maintain ~80c @ 1313mhz

Do both your cards operate at roughly the same temp? I never knew how much of a difference blower coolers made in SLI. With open air coolers, the difference was upwards of 15-20 degrees between the two for me

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Do both your cards operate at roughly the same temp? I never knew how much of a difference blower coolers made in SLI. With open air coolers, the difference was upwards of 15-20 degrees between the two for me

They are within 5c of each other. top runs around ~80c, bottom around 75c.

This is in an S340 with 2 intake fans pretty close to the cards. Top fan is actually blowing into the case now and only exhaust is the cards and the rear fan. Dropped temps a few degrees, my guess is so the air from the intakes wasn't getting sucked right up to the top.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I went with blowers instead of the internal fan configuration of my MSI 970s because I was worried about heat interference with 980 Tis, but I miss the quiet enough that I wonder if I should have just done internal fan and tried to improve airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm going through a lot of headache with my Galax 980 Ti. It works, but there is a fan Spin down issue. Every randomly few seconds the fans will spin down by 400 rpm. The max rpm is 3000 at 100%, so that is a ~13.3% spin down. This is audible at 60% fan speed and is very annoying.

I've been working with their tech support for almost since I bought this three weeks ago.