Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
There is an absolutely adorable greencheeked conure at the Petco near us. I see him every time I go in to get kitty things. His name is Han Solo (I would totally change his name) and he was hatched in April sometime. He always looks so sad until he sees me, then he starts meeping and playing peekaboo behind whats left of his millet :( I have no clue if anyone even talks to him there....he just sits there all quiet like. Last time I went in there was some finches in the next section over, and some wild rear end crazy budgies, so at least he has someone to talk to.

I want to take him home sooo bad but I know its not a good place atm here for him here at our house. Still... seeing him perk up when he sees me and doing his happy dance makes me both :) and :( and :3: at the same time. I keep hoping he will get a good home but every time I go in he is still there....sigh

It just kills me every time though, and I have to tell myself that I cannot take a birb right now, my cats would be way too much for a little birb to handle...but I still wish :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

A very wet floofy birb

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Dreggon posted:

they flap up to the window and peck on the glass repeatedly until i go out to feed them

any window with a ledge is a viable choice

Of course, they're still very willing to bite the hand that feeds them.

And here I thought it was funny when wild cardinals perch nearby a feeder and call indignantly until humans clear out so that they can eat in peace. How pushy!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

On one hand I love going to petstores because who doesn't want to visit adorable birbs and other pets. On the other hand so often the animals aren't having all their needs met entirely and there are signs of distress. Weather the feathers are a little ratty around the edges or the cages are bare. Most of the time the animals themselves still seem happy enough but occasionally it's pretty disconcerting.

I don't visit chain pet stores anymore, the big ones anyway. I badly wish there was an Omar's near me though.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

A very wet floofy birb
Oh jeez :kimchi:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tsaedje posted:

A very wet floofy birb

I'm pretty sure that's a mutant owlbear

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So, uh, how is "caique" pronounced? I'm suddenly terrified I've been mispronouncing it in a rather, ah, eyebrow-raising fashion.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cake.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trebuchet King posted:

So, uh, how is "caique" pronounced? I'm suddenly terrified I've been mispronouncing it in a rather, ah, eyebrow-raising fashion.

I say 'cake' most bird shop people I've encountered say "cai-eek". It could easily be said the other way, but I think most people know that's a no-no haha.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Disco Salmon posted:

I want to take him home sooo bad but I know its not a good place atm here for him here at our house. Still... seeing him perk up when he sees me and doing his happy dance makes me both :) and :( and :3: at the same time. I keep hoping he will get a good home but every time I go in he is still there....sigh

You've captured a complicated set of feelings in a very simple way here. Kudos. I get this every time I go to a pet store; at this point, I just order stuff off Amazon and a local distributor because I just cannot handle the mix of emotions anymore and NOT come home with a bird by impulse.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SaNChEzZ posted:

I say 'cake' most bird shop people I've encountered say "cai-eek". It could easily be said the other way, but I think most people know that's a no-no haha.

According to one avian researcher, it's "cake." She is a godless Canadian barbarian who favors English English though, so take that with a grain of Eh.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yeah I've only heard it as cai-eek.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think it's pronounced "crackhead"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I've said it caw-seek. Don't ask me where the 's' sound came from I couldn't tell you. Wikipedia says it is /kaːˈiːk/ which means you should stress the i: caw-Eek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:( :( :( I have a special weakness for sad pet store conures thanks to my birdie. The local place spoils the hell out of their conure(s) and it's an incredible contrast.

My local petco has a sunburst conure who is missing all his tail feathers and is very sad. It's taking my entire soul not to spend the 700 bucks on him. His name is chippy.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

augh I'm so embarassed now auuuuuuuugh

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
ScienceDaily article: Mental math helps monk parakeets find their place in pecking order

Summary posted:

A study of aggression in monk parakeets suggests that where they stand in the pecking order is a function of the bird's carefully calibrated perceptions of the rank of their fellow-feathered friends.

e: Pulled a summary with better grammar.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 11, 2015

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I've said it caw-seek. Don't ask me where the 's' sound came from I couldn't tell you. Wikipedia says it is /kaːˈiːk/ which means you should stress the i: caw-Eek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English

Cacique:

Caique:

:eng101:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Staryberry posted:

Cacique:

Caique:

:eng101:

IM from Staryberry posted:

I posted in the bird thread, because that seemed like the least efficient method of communicating with you

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cakes just look like they're wearing silly little suits: orange breeches, a green jacket, and a fluffy white shirt. Some of them even have hats!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'm a godless frostback with exposure to French from early hatchlinghood, and I would pronounce it as "Cake." "Cai-eek" sounds like a mispronunciation by someone who has never had any exposure to the sultry yet heathen French tongue.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have only heard it pronounced as "cake" by birb vets and birbologists, and as "cay-eek" by people who tend to mispronounce things, so I'm going with "cake". My local bird vet has a number of colouring-in pages for kids to do and one of them is a Birthday Caique (with a birthday cake).

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

mikerock posted:

I'm a godless frostback with exposure to French from early hatchlinghood, and I would pronounce it as "Cake." "Cai-eek" sounds like a mispronunciation by someone who has never had any exposure to the sultry yet heathen French tongue.

I have no clue on the correct way, but the two people I know with Caiques pronounce it Kai-eek. So, take that as you will... I just call them featherbutts.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Youtube says it's kai-eeks and youtube is never wrong :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXQIJJTdViY

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Expected this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SBgIl6wkhw

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Wikipedia has it as "Ka-eek" which I would also accept as a very frenchy (ca-ique)

Classic.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So what happens when you clip a bird that's been flighted for almost four years? Ritz has been a total loving dick lately, and he needs to calm his tits. Will it only take him one attempt at flying to realize he can't?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
He'll probably freak out and won't know whats happening, if you cut 2 or 3 he can fly still and it will be less difficult on him mentally, but he won't go very far.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRRIjOkzHPM

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have only heard it pronounced as "cake" by birb vets and birbologists, and as "cay-eek" by people who tend to mispronounce things, so I'm going with "cake". My local bird vet has a number of colouring-in pages for kids to do and one of them is a Birthday Caique (with a birthday cake).

Dear God, I feel stupid reading all the responses to this question. I've been reading it "khaki" this whole time. :downswords:

This is making me laugh, and I don't know why. Maybe because it looks like he's waiting for something, possibly the bus.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

schnickety scribe posted:

Dear God, I feel stupid reading all the responses to this question. I've been reading it "khaki" this whole time. :downswords:

This is making me laugh, and I don't know why. Maybe because it looks like he's waiting for something, possibly the bus.

I know! I have been laughing at it ever since I took it this afternoon and I don't know why!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Hat report: tried putting half a walnut on Mookie's head before going to work tonight. He was surprisingly amenable to the experience, if befuddled. Gonna have to go spelunking through the girls' room and steal one of their doll hats.

The girls, incidentally, have spent the entire week trying to teach the bird to say "waffles", for reasons that I'm pretty sure are beyond any of us.

schnickety scribe posted:

That's what it was, I couldn't figure out why I kept laughing at this.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 11, 2015

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I will pronounce it cake until the day I die.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

top left where'd you get it?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

He's waiting for you to go away so he can hop onto the table, pull the buttons off the remotes, and then ring the jangly ball in triumph.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That looks like a floorball ball.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Suntan Boy posted:

That's what it was, I couldn't figure out why I kept laughing at this.
Seriously, me too. I opened this thread up, looked at that picture, and just started giggling. Couldn't figure out why till I read that post.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone have any sort of playing tree, hanging feeder, or other sort of large bird toy construction outside the cage here? If so, could you post pictures? I think I want something like that but not sure what it'd be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tried to have them, but Judah is much more interested in being on my desk so now the top is just half-covered in half-shredded cockatiel toys.

I love my bird.

Even when he does his so-irritating-I-wish-the-cat-grew-thumbs-and-opened-his-cage-and-ate-his-loud-rear end "eeh-EUH eeh-EUH!" scream at 7 in the morning because if my roommate's left the house IT'S TIME FOR EVERYONE TO BE UP.