Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

Looking to upgrade a 6-year-old 24" 16:10 TN monitor, connected up to a KVM switch via DVI. Used only for boring work stuff, and photos on the Mac. Zero gaming.

Go for the big 1440p IMO. Buying my current monitor was the best purchase decision I ever made, and it's the most expensive single component of my computer, despite it being 7 years old. (decent 30" are still floating around 1000 bux)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

smackfu posted:

Looking to upgrade a 6-year-old 24" 16:10 TN monitor, connected up to a KVM switch via DVI. Used only for boring work stuff, and photos on the Mac. Zero gaming.

The landscape has gotten pretty complex since I last looked. It seems like my options are:

A 24" 16:9, but I would actually lose screen space so that's not really an option.
A 24" 16:9 4k, which would look pretty (on the Mac side at least) but probably need me to upgrade my computers and KVM switch.
A 24" 16:10 IPS monitor with tiny bezels for $300, like the Dell U2415. I'm leaning toward this.
A 25" 16:10, but that would just make the pixels a little bigger.
A 25" 21:9 ultrawide, probably has smaller pixels and is shorter, and full-screen mode gets awkward. Nice for movies?
A 27" 1440p, but I'm not sure how much space I would really gain, nice panels are quite expensive, and I would probably need to change my cabling from DVI.

Am I missing any contenders here?

I have the U2415 and I can say that it's a really nice monitor, I've seen it on sale for $240 at Newegg three or four times in the last few months so if you wait you might be able to snag it on the cheap.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Amazon got back to me, the have created new a replacement order, set to ship sometime between early October and early November. They've also extended the return date for the original to November 10, the latest that the replacement should arrive. Owns because I can't go back to 60hz/1080p :/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrDork posted:

The other downside is it's DVI-DL only, which substantially limits how many of them you can actually run. I think there's one or two 980/980Ti variants right now with 2x DVI ports. AMD seems hell-bent on eliminating them entirely. Hopefully there'll be an update to the QNix at some point to replace it with DP or something.
There are already a bunch of Korean monitors with DP.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So the ASUS 3800R changed name again, and now it's the ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q.

100Hz in G-Syncand its gained orange accents.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Josh Lyman posted:

There are already a bunch of Korean monitors with DP.

But, as far as I know, they're not overclockable because they're all multi-input boards.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrDork posted:

But, as far as I know, they're not overclockable because they're all multi-input boards.
Right, and I wouldn't expect any multi-input Koreans to ever be overclockable.

Maybe I have lovely eyes but I haven't seen any benefit to refresh over 60Hz since the CRT days.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Truga posted:

Go for the big 1440p IMO. Buying my current monitor was the best purchase decision I ever made.

1440 is a great resolution even if it isn't ultrawide and is a huge jump over 1080 or 1200.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

xthetenth posted:

1440 is a great resolution even if it isn't ultrawide and is a huge jump over 1080 or 1200.

Yes, I honestly can't go back now, it's pretty hosed up. My 24" ultra sharp secondary now disgusts me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

27" 1440p is the sweet spot for monitors right now and only a basic bitch would get anything less.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, overclocking your monitor isn't a joke?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

smackfu posted:

The landscape has gotten pretty complex since I last looked. It seems like my options are:

A 24" 16:9, but I would actually lose screen space so that's not really an option.
A 24" 16:9 4k, which would look pretty (on the Mac side at least) but probably need me to upgrade my computers and KVM switch.
A 24" 16:10 IPS monitor with tiny bezels for $300, like the Dell U2415. I'm leaning toward this.
A 25" 16:10, but that would just make the pixels a little bigger.
A 25" 21:9 ultrawide, probably has smaller pixels and is shorter, and full-screen mode gets awkward. Nice for movies?
A 27" 1440p, but I'm not sure how much space I would really gain, nice panels are quite expensive, and I would probably need to change my cabling from DVI.

Am I missing any contenders here?

1440p Korean is the way to go.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 12, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The issue with those is that the DVI for the overclockable ones is dual link and probably won't work with the computer and kvm he has already. I don't know how be newer multi input ones would work with his setup either.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wait, overclocking your monitor isn't a joke?
Only for the QNix, because of how it's made. For almost all others: still a joke.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I was thinking about getting Samsung S34E790C, 21:9 curved 3440 x 1440 VA display: http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/it/monitor/curved-monitor/LS34E790CNS/ZN

This thread is full of TN and IPS talk, but does anyone know how VA fares these days? They used to ghost really bad back in the day. Reviews at least seem to be rather positive, contrast is great and there's no IPS glow. Doesn't go above 60Hz, but that's perfectly OK for me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Friction posted:

I was thinking about getting Samsung S34E790C, 21:9 curved 3440 x 1440 VA display: http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/it/monitor/curved-monitor/LS34E790CNS/ZN

This thread is full of TN and IPS talk, but does anyone know how VA fares these days? They used to ghost really bad back in the day. Reviews at least seem to be rather positive, contrast is great and there's no IPS glow. Doesn't go above 60Hz, but that's perfectly OK for me.

VA is generally fine. The few reviews on that monitor that I can find say its input lag is pretty decent at ~11ms, and I didn't see any comments on ghosting, so you're probably ok on that front. Honestly I'd like to see a bit more out of the VA side of things: the black levels and contrast ratios are superior to anything IPS can muster, so I've always been a bit curious as to why IPS took off while VA really hasn't.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Friction posted:

I love my S34E790c. Had it since march. Its amazing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
BTW, Newegg is having a bit of a sale on the Acer XB270HU, only $599

Now, anyone want to play some roulette? :laugh:

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Friction posted:

I don't have the samsung model, but my LG 34 inch 3440 x 1440 is nothing short of amazing. My wife thought it was the dumbest thing ever until she saw my workflow and now she wants to grade all of her classes on it. A+++ would buy again.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That definitely means a replacement model will show up soon (at least a paper launch), as they are flushing any existing inventory.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

FYI, that's the XB270HU Abprz which is the TN version. The IPS version is still $799.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Google Butt posted:

FYI, that's the XB270HU Abprz which is the TN version. The IPS version is still $799.

No it's not, the exact product on Newegg is this: "Acer XB270HU bprz Black 27'' 144Hz WQHD Widescreen LED Backlight LCD G-SYNC Gaming Monitor IPS 350 cd/m2 1,000:1,, Flicker Free Design, Ergo Stand Pivots with USB 3.0"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No it's not, the exact product on Newegg is this: "Acer XB270HU bprz Black 27'' 144Hz WQHD Widescreen LED Backlight LCD G-SYNC Gaming Monitor IPS 350 cd/m2 1,000:1,, Flicker Free Design, Ergo Stand Pivots with USB 3.0"

Look at the item, model number and specs. Why would they have two product pages for the same item? Looks like they hosed up the description to me.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Look at the item, model number and specs. Why would they have two product pages for the same item? Looks like they hosed up the description to me.

Oh wow, that is incredibly shady, trying to trick people into buying the lovely TN model when they claim it's the IPS one.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I don't have the samsung model, but my LG 34 inch 3440 x 1440 is nothing short of amazing. My wife thought it was the dumbest thing ever until she saw my workflow and now she wants to grade all of her classes on it. A+++ would buy again.

I have the dell curved and it is absolutely amazing. The amount of real estate is totally worth it, and the curve is a big plus with a screen that wide.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh wow, that is incredibly shady, trying to trick people into buying the lovely TN model when they claim it's the IPS one.

Yeah, I almost considered buying one until I noticed that bit, too. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Someone has hosed up with the product pages. The XB270HU is IPS and the XB270H (no U) is the TN model. Either it is a mislisted H or a misdescribed HU.

Also to the earlier commenter, the XB271HU was recently announced which is the updated model. Slimmer, matte bezels as well as an added HDMI port (plus you're guaranteed the newer firmware which enables 120Hz ULMB).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Someone has hosed up with the product pages. The XB270HU is IPS and the XB270H (no U) is the TN model. Either it is a mislisted H or a misdescribed HU.

Also to the earlier commenter, the XB271HU was recently announced which is the updated model. Slimmer, matte bezels as well as an added HDMI port (plus you're guaranteed the newer firmware which enables 120Hz ULMB).

My XB270HU can do 120Hz ULMB, is that a recent development?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Google Butt posted:

My XB270HU can do 120Hz ULMB, is that a recent development?

With the launch firmware it was only 100Hz ULMB. It was very early on that the 120Hz firmware started shipping, right around the second batch when QC got a lot better.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I just got my U2414H. It's the first widescreen monitor that I have actually owned, so I'm wondering if it is normal for the "wrap" of the panel to be noticeable on the extreme right and left sides of the screen depending on the viewing angle. When I look at it straight on, I can see a curve on the right and left sides that distorts the image. If I move my head, and look at the edges straight on, the curve disappears.

Scaling the resolution to 1900x1080 fixes the problem, but I just want to make sure this is normal.

Actually, it looks like it is the backlight cutting out. The left side of the panel looks like this when viewed from the right.

reagan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 14, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

reagan posted:

Actually, it looks like it is the backlight cutting out. Is that normal?
No.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

reagan posted:

I just got my U2414H. It's the first widescreen monitor that I have actually owned, so I'm wondering if it is normal for the "wrap" of the panel to be noticeable on the extreme right and left sides of the screen depending on the viewing angle. When I look at it straight on, I can see a curve on the right and left sides that distorts the image. If I move my head, and look at the edges straight on, the curve disappears.

Scaling the resolution to 1900x1080 fixes the problem, but I just want to make sure this is normal.

Actually, it looks like it is the backlight cutting out. The left side of the panel looks like this when viewed from the right.

When the bezel is as thin as it is on these models, the backlight can only extend so far beyond the edges of LCD matrix. This seems pretty normal for such an aggressively thin panel.

Most other TVs and monitors I've used do this to a lesser extent.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, that happens on my U3415W as well but I don't notice because it's curved and on my 34UM95, which I can notice when I'm real close to it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I feel stupid asking this, but can somebody tell me which 8-10 foot display port cable to buy?

I bought this one and it is causing my screen to flicker and audio to pop on my lg34um95. The 5 foot cord that came with the monitor works fine.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Zorilla posted:

When the bezel is as thin as it is on these models, the backlight can only extend so far beyond the edges of LCD matrix. This seems pretty normal for such an aggressively thin panel.

Most other TVs and monitors I've used do this to a lesser extent.

This was my other hypothesis. Is this a thing with new monitors? I returned this one - I'll have to try an UltraSharp with a regular bezel.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

CopperHound posted:

I feel stupid asking this, but can somebody tell me which 8-10 foot display port cable to buy?

I bought this one and it is causing my screen to flicker and audio to pop on my lg34um95. The 5 foot cord that came with the monitor works fine.

Any decent quality cable should work, it's likely you may have just gotten a bad one. I'd just exchange it (or return and get another brand, there's not going to be any major noticeable differences between them).

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BurritoJustice posted:

With the launch firmware it was only 100Hz ULMB. It was very early on that the 120Hz firmware started shipping, right around the second batch when QC got a lot better.

When exactly did the QC get a lot better? We just got another batch of posters with duds in the last week. This, coupled with your crapping all over the ASUS TN monitor at every opportunity, is suspect. Shilling doesn't do anyone here any favors.

I own both now, but it took me three swaps to get a non-broken Acer. That's embarrassing, and a lot of people wouldn't have the time or patience. Anecdotes being what they are, my ROG Swift was perfect from day one, and it's far from your average TN monitor.

See them in person if you can before making a decision, or wait, because better stuff is on the horizon.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

KS posted:

When exactly did the QC get a lot better? We just got another batch of posters with duds in the last week. This, coupled with your crapping all over the ASUS TN monitor at every opportunity, is suspect. Shilling doesn't do anyone here any favors.

I own both now, but it took me three swaps to get a non-broken Acer. That's embarrassing, and a lot of people wouldn't have the time or patience. Anecdotes being what they are, my ROG Swift was perfect from day one, and it's far from your average TN monitor.

See them in person if you can before making a decision, or wait, because better stuff is on the horizon.

The QC got a lot better from my readings of both this forum and overclock.net

People still get bad monitors but it is way better than at launch when nobody got good monitors.

I don't think I should really need to explain why buying a 27" TN monitor is a bad idea compared to a similarly priced IPS monitor which is better in every metric.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BurritoJustice posted:

The QC got a lot better from my readings of both this forum and overclock.net

People still get bad monitors but it is way better than at launch when nobody got good monitors.

I don't think I should really need to explain why buying a 27" TN monitor is a bad idea compared to a similarly priced IPS monitor which is better in every metric.

Metrics aren't everything with monitors. See: GTG measurements. Build quality matters quite a lot as well, though different buyers value different parts of the build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Metrics aren't everything with monitors. See: GTG measurements. Build quality matters quite a lot as well, though different buyers value different parts of the build.

Sorry, every performance metric, and that is from measurement not specs. Even the input lag is lower, and it has less anti-ghosting so the motion acuity is better despite being IPS versus TN (and rated 1ms vs 4ms). You'd have to really care about the matte bezel to buy a TN screen that is large enough that you get colour shift looking at it straight on.