Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
People complaining about Supes being overpowered while the Flash is still running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

DrSunshine posted:

Gaijin-kun says what we're all thinking!! :911:

It CAN be helped is making me laugh

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

shikata aru

Also I feel like absolutely nothing of any importance could possibly happen in an attosecond. But at the same time, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone in Toriko finds a way.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I really liked this character in Agent X who unconsciously deleted her presence using psychic powers. You couldn't perceive her. Cameras and tape recorders couldn't record her. If she punched you in the face, you would convince yourself it was just the wind.

She just kinda chilled in this couples' house, raiding their fridge when she was hungry, and spent her days exploring NYC.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vengarr posted:

I really liked this character in Agent X who unconsciously deleted her presence using psychic powers. You couldn't perceive her. Cameras and tape recorders couldn't record her. If she punched you in the face, you would convince yourself it was just the wind.

She just kinda chilled in this couples' house, raiding their fridge when she was hungry, and spent her days exploring NYC.

As usual, Hunter x Hunter did it better

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

that's komeiji koishi. gently caress off

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Powers gotta have a downside or a drawback. Or be balanced by the opposition. Spiderman is fun because he fights these hulks like Venom. The Flash is not fun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wild Horses posted:

Powers gotta have a downside or a drawback. Or be balanced by the opposition. Spiderman is fun because he fights these hulks like Venom. The Flash is not fun.

The Flash is a golden age Hero.
His villains are poo poo. Really poo poo. I mean really, Gorilla Grod, Mirror Master, the fiddler? HAH.
This also means his powers have fluctuated from barely enough to overwhelmingly overkill.

dc wiki posted:

Equipment

Violin Bow String: Like his fiddle, the Fiddler's bow string was capable of producing destructive waves of force when used in conjunction with the special strings of his violin.
Portable Vibrator: The Fiddler created a portable vibrator, which could bridge the gap between parallel worlds. He used this to transport himself, the Wizard and the Icicle to Earth-One, and also used it to bring Doctor Alchemy, Chronos and Felix Faust from Earth-One to Earth-Two. He also used this device to trap Barry Allen and Jay Garrick in the space between dimensions. It is unknown whether the Fiddler still possessed such a device following the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
lmbo

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 14, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

His villains are poo poo. Really poo poo. I mean really, Gorilla Grod, Mirror Master, the fiddler? HAH.
This also means his powers have fluctuated from barely enough to overwhelmingly overkill.

Couldn't Golden Age Flash only run like 100mph or something?

The problem with the Flash is that the only type of enemy that I can conceive of that should reasonably be able to fight him is someone who either has the same ability or has something functionally similar (like the ability to slow down time). It makes no sense for him to lose against anyone else, because he should be so fast that the fight would be over before it started (from the perspective of his opponent). I watched a couple episodes of the TV show, and the fights bothered me because he would be going to the speed of sound one moment and then next being hit by the normal punch of some dude.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wild Horses posted:

Unless it's the TV show.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I watched a couple episodes of the TV show, and the fights bothered me because he would be going to the speed of sound one moment and then next being hit by the normal punch of some dude.

This is basically what happens in the comics too, his powers fluctuate wildly to give him challenges in one scene but then to do something ridiculously cool the next. As expected, it depends on the writing, direction, art and editing to make it halfway believable instead of incredibly stupid.

He also does have a ton of enemies who are just as fast as him or have the gimmick to slow him down (awhile back they retconned Captain Cold's ice gun to be able to create pockets of absolute zero to slow him down for example).

Mr. Fowl posted:

Unless it's the TV show.

Yeah the Flash is awesome fun in any medium proportional to how much you care about the physics/realism of it. The concept works best when the creators and the audience forget how preposterous everything going on is and just get caught up in the fun of watching this dude run around, travel through time, crack jokes and fight dudes with the silliest powers ever. The TV show owns, the Mark Waid and Geoff Johns runs in the comic own, his stuff in the Justice League cartoon mostly owns when they weren't purposely sidelining him or KOing him at the start of a fight.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If it wasn't for the last line I'd swear this was some kind of next level meta joke since every statement here is completely incorrect.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

captain cold loving rules

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the only superhero with a worse rogues gallery is Spiderman

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When the anime airs, I want filler of Tsuyu stopping smugglers.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
When the anime airs, I want it to be recast as the adventures of Tsuyu. With a side show of Pinkie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Twiddy posted:

When the anime airs, I want it to be recast as the adventures of Tsuyu. With a side show of Pinkie.

That'll be the Rock Lee and Pals style spinoff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ruggington posted:

captain cold loving rules

Agreed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

the only superhero with a worse rogues gallery is Spiderman

What is wrong with his rogues gallery? I've always thought that at least they make for some interesting fights (none of them have ridiculous Superman/Flash-esque god powers and generally have unique abilities).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Waffleman_ posted:

When the anime airs, I want filler of Tsuyu stopping smugglers.

I think when (if?) the anime airs, everyone will want filler of every 'best girl' doing things.
(personally, I want filler of Ashido just ... going about her day. It'd probably be funny and weird.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I think when (if?) the anime airs, everyone will want filler of every 'best girl' doing things.
(personally, I want filler of Ashido just ... going about her day. It'd probably be funny and weird.)

It's made it at least a year in Shonen Jump. It's pretty much a when at this point.

Also, best girls:

-Tsuyu
-Asui-san
-Froppy
-Ashido
-???

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's made it at least a year in Shonen Jump. It's pretty much a when at this point.

Also, best girls:

-Tsuyu
-Asui-san
-Froppy
-Ashido
-???

How is Uraraka 'awakened murder-Buddha' Ochako not on there?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She has ascended beyond a mere "girl", hence she is beyond such a paltry list

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, best girls:

-Tsuyu
-Asui-san
-Froppy
-Ashido
-???

To save animation costs, all filler episodes will be filler episodes about Invisible Girl.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that Uraraka's time with Gunhead, who has been described as "cute" once you get past the exterior and we last saw snickering about her talking to a boy, somehow turned her into that. I guess for all his "cuteness" he's still a "Battle Hero".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

What is wrong with his rogues gallery? I've always thought that at least they make for some interesting fights (none of them have ridiculous Superman/Flash-esque god powers and generally have unique abilities).
the Symbiotes are kinda lame, and his general badguys like the Shocker, Rhino, the dude in the stupid bird costume, are all pretty lame too

like Green Goblin and Doc Ock are alright but man Spiderman has had to fight some of the worst badguys ever

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

the Symbiotes are kinda lame, and his general badguys like the Shocker, Rhino, the dude in the stupid bird costume, are all pretty lame too

like Green Goblin and Doc Ock are alright but man Spiderman has had to fight some of the worst badguys ever

You're forgetting Daredevil, who spent much of his history as the dumping ground for Spider-Man's really crappy villains. And the Kingpin, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really see what makes rhino worse than any other 'hey it's a big dude that the hero has to outsmart' villain

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont really see what makes rhino worse than any other 'hey it's a big dude that the hero has to outsmart' villain

His costume can end up looking pretty cheap and lame - less like experimental powered armour fused to his body, more like a plasticky Halloween getup. The version in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon was pretty neat, though.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fabricated posted:

I always thought the Symbiotes looked really loving cool :shrug:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

JosephWongKS posted:

To save animation costs, all filler episodes will be filler episodes about Invisible Girl.

... I think that's something we could all ... see happening.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I hope that rather than typical shonen "group of bad guys who attack Konoha village this arc", Deku and the others will begin to accumulate their own personal rogues' galleries, just like if they were the heroes of their own Western superhero comic series. Deku has Stain, of course, but Tailguy and Froggy should get their own as well!

Gosh I wonder if there's a Batman in this world? It'd be really cool to just have a regular (or should I say irregular given how most people have powers now?) Joe go toe-to-toe with all the superpowered badguys!

Also, I hope that at some point they face some superhero genre staples, like invading alien beings, or some kind of cosmic entity like Galactus! :swoon:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Gosh I wonder if there's a Batman in this world? It'd be really cool to just have a regular (or should I say irregular given how most people have powers now?) Joe go toe-to-toe with all the superpowered badguys!

Does Oshiro (i.e Tail Guy) count as a "regular Joe"? His Quirk is basically just the tail, and he relies mostly on his martial arts training.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrSunshine posted:

The entire support class is Batman. There was that inventor girl who made it to the final tournament in the sports festival with tools and planning.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

... I think that's something we could all ... see happening.

:frogout:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Clarste posted:

The entire support class is Batman. There was that inventor girl who made it to the final tournament in the sports festival with tools and planning.

Yeah, but doesn't she have some kind of quirk too? Something involving her weird crosshair pupil eyes, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, but doesn't she have some kind of quirk too? Something involving her weird crosshair pupil eyes, right?

She has super eyesight, but she only ever used it to gauge the reaction of the audience. I think it's "non-combat" enough to count though. ...Aren't you the one who noted that that Irregular Joes would count too, given the setting?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Fabricated posted:

Spiderman villains get even better:

But for The Flash, nothing beats the fact that not only is there a bad guy whose shtick revolves around boomerangs, he's somehow one of the primary reoccurring antagonists.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Zenzirouj posted:

But for The Flash, nothing beats the fact that not only is there a bad guy whose shtick revolves around boomerangs, he's somehow one of the primary reoccurring antagonists.

Don't forget about KABOOMERANG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Roland Jones posted:

I like that Uraraka's time with Gunhead, who has been described as "cute" once you get past the exterior and we last saw snickering about her talking to a boy, somehow turned her into that. I guess for all his "cuteness" he's still a "Battle Hero".

Uravity always had a natural killer instinct. She ranked third in the entrance exam, if I'm not mistaken.