Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of dumb Ideas stuff, there is a big T-Rex dinosaur model up for review in the last batch and the new review batch has a very similar one.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/48453
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/106086

I guess the second one is supposed to be from Jurassic World, but the models are way too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well it is the same dude, all he had to do was use different color bricks.
Not impressed either.

Speaking of impressed, has anyone made progress on building that mini falcon?

I took a closer look at it since I have practically no parts I could use to build this and need to buy sets.
It seems he could have used several microfighter models to source the parts plus some extra stuff:

The microfighters used are possibly:
2x falcon 75030 (his model has 10 of the dark grey single stud "caps" the microfighter has 6 of these, plus other parts)
1x homing spider droid 75077 (he uses the 2 hinges from the droid front for the canopy angle)
1x tie interceptor microfighter 75031(e.g. the long smooth pieces in the center)
1x star destroyer 75033 for the 4 stud long light grey sort of triangle shaped plates (not sure about this, coudl be another set such as the )

This is by far not all the parts I guess, but it is a start. Any idea where the blue tube comes from that is the engine glow?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Pro-feminism in that it is a set that only has female minifigs?

Have you seen how many sets only have male minifigs? (Hint: probably more sets than have more than zero female minifigs.)

Pro-feminism in the sense that Fox News, CNN and others were applauding the set because Lego finally released a set with female figures who were *gasp* smart. And if course the accompanying backlash against the Friends line because girls should not he forced to play with narrow waisted pink plastic dolls.

I don't think Lego is feminists today, sure they probably release firehouse sets where most (all?) of the fire fighters have male faces. . . but that just kinda makes sense, have you met a female fire fighter? I have not. If girls really want a female fire fighter, policeman or astronaut all they have to do is switch the heads.

What I mean to say is I never thought Lego was feminist and now whenever I look at the set all I can see are news articles about how Lego is an evil feminist toy company finally changing their ways. I never wanted to get wrapped up in toy industry politics, I just wanted to build a t-rex skeleton.

My offer still stands, one research lab for one curiousity rover. I might even include a printed copy of a Lego/feminism conspiracy article to sweeten the deal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't think Lego is feminists today, sure they probably release firehouse sets where most (all?) of the fire fighters have male faces. . . but that just kinda makes sense, have you met a female fire fighter? I have not. If girls really want a female fire fighter, policeman or astronaut all they have to do is switch the heads.

I think the issue is about presentation/representation though. If the media (toys, shows, games) that kids consumes contains none of this sort of thing, then it just subconsciously accepted as "a thing." Which really isn't great, and is believed to be the reason why some job sectors have so much gender disparity. :shrug: Also, it's a problem if not enough sets have female heads because then kids won't have any/enough to switch :v:

And a bit to that end why wouldn't you people want sets to have a mix of male and female? More variety is better when it comes to minfigs.

I mean, I think I sorta see what you might be trying to say about the research institute, that it comes off as pandering or possibly news/blog bait?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Crotch Fruit posted:

Pro-feminism in the sense that Fox News, CNN and others were applauding the set because Lego finally released a set with female figures who were *gasp* smart. And if course the accompanying backlash against the Friends line because girls should not he forced to play with narrow waisted pink plastic dolls.

If you don't realize how sexist this sounds, trust me: it does.

I know one fire fighter and she's a woman.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

What I mean to say is I never thought Lego was feminist and now whenever I look at the set all I can see are news articles about how Lego is an evil feminist toy company finally changing their ways. I never wanted to get wrapped up in toy industry politics, I just wanted to build a t-rex skeleton.

My offer still stands, one research lab for one curiousity rover. I might even include a printed copy of a Lego/feminism conspiracy article to sweeten the deal.

How many fedoras do you own?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopper posted:

Well it is the same dude, all he had to do was use different color bricks.
Not impressed either.

Speaking of impressed, has anyone made progress on building that mini falcon?

I took a closer look at it since I have practically no parts I could use to build this and need to buy sets.
It seems he could have used several microfighter models to source the parts plus some extra stuff:

The microfighters used are possibly:
2x falcon 75030 (his model has 10 of the dark grey single stud "caps" the microfighter has 6 of these, plus other parts)
1x homing spider droid 75077 (he uses the 2 hinges from the droid front for the canopy angle)
1x tie interceptor microfighter 75031(e.g. the long smooth pieces in the center)
1x star destroyer 75033 for the 4 stud long light grey sort of triangle shaped plates (not sure about this, coudl be another set such as the )

This is by far not all the parts I guess, but it is a start. Any idea where the blue tube comes from that is the engine glow?

The hose is just part 78c07, Dark Turquoise Hose, Ribbed 7mm D. 7L. It shows up in a lot of technic sets. I'm just not sure how long it is.. my best guess is 7 studs but 6 and 8 stud versions also exist.

The main bit I'm stuck on is how he attached the cockpit to the chassis. I put some pictures on the last page of my progress, before all the dumb feminism talk.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
I was really excited for the research institute, not because it had women mini-figs, but because I thought lego might be opening up to different styles of city sets. I've seen enough firehalls, policestations and gas stations to last a lifetime, give me more variety! Give me a medical clinic, a movie theater lobby, a factory, anything but another firehall!

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

Being a feminist just means you want equal rights and opportunities for females... You come across as heavily ill-informed.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Fozzie Bear posted:

I was really excited for the research institute, not because it had women mini-figs, but because I thought lego might be opening up to different styles of city sets. I've seen enough firehalls, policestations and gas stations to last a lifetime, give me more variety! Give me a medical clinic, a movie theater lobby, a factory, anything but another firehall!

This is actually why I really like the friends sets. You get cool places like a shopping mall, a hot air balloon, a jungle theme, a hotel, and tons more. I don't care kick about the mini-dolls but the variety and great assortment of pieces make the friends sets often more appealing than City.

It's much better now than the old lovely Belville or Scala, which were just useless.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The hose is just part 78c07, Dark Turquoise Hose, Ribbed 7mm D. 7L. It shows up in a lot of technic sets. I'm just not sure how long it is.. my best guess is 7 studs but 6 and 8 stud versions also exist.

The main bit I'm stuck on is how he attached the cockpit to the chassis. I put some pictures on the last page of my progress, before all the dumb feminism talk.

I may have a partial answer for you:

xzzy posted:

Also can't figure out how they centered the wheel hub on the sides of the ship. There's stud inversion there too.. maybe just a travis/dalek brick with a blue pin friction held in the hole?

The wheels seem to be the ones from the microfighter snowspeeder 75074 (used at the back of the engines, you can only see it properly from behind)
the blue studs are from the 75077 homing droids legs.
It looks as if he used those in combination with either the legs from the AT-AT 75075 or two dark grey "missle holders" on each side of the control tower of the star destroyer 75033 or on the xwing (75032) wing tips by mounting them upside down?

As for your cockpit mount, that looks fine if you ask me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I had a minor in children's lit in college, and one of my classes was about children in culture and a large swath of it was devoted to gender roles and the natural child and whatnot and this is several months after friends started, I may not have even seen it in stores yet, but she pulls out the typical arguments about boy Legos and girl Legos and why does Lego need to have girl Legos why aren't regular Legos good enough?

And, as one of three male students in a 100 person lecture (and having seen one of the other dudes get torn apart for dissenting previously) I waited until after class to go talk to the prof. Explained how Lego became a boy toy out of necessity with Star Wars etc etc and how this is their attempt at regaining a female audience and how it's good if you look at it as a gateway drug into building toys and I mean there's tree houses and laboratories and look at the old girl Lego like Bellevue or the actual dollhouses or in the late 70s when Lego made literal jewelry kits this is way superior because even if it's a purple dollhouse you still have to build that purple dollhouse and that's what's really important here, Yknow? Building analytical and spatial reasoning skills

And her response was "does the boy Lego have a beauty salon?" And that's the last time I ever tried to give input to a professor.

To clarify it was a cool class and I learned a lot and liked the professor, just that this particular exchange pissed me off.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
To me, the dividing factor that separates "girl Lego" and "boy Lego" in an otherwise equal toy is the minifigs.
Why does "girl Lego" have these stupid minifigs that don't even have poseable hands and look weird? I really don't understand why normal minifigs with the corresponding color scheme are not good enough to depict Disney princesses or friends minifigs. Instead they went for skirt wearing thin legged, lanky figs with non-posable hands. (If you want to go out on a limb you could even say it teaches girls a different body image than boys.)

This is all I have to say about feminism and Lego. Back to reverse engineering that falcon please. We can do it if we combine our efforts.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Hopper posted:

Why does "girl Lego" have these stupid minifigs that don't even have poseable hands and look weird?

Market research,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopper posted:

As for your cockpit mount, that looks fine if you ask me.

It works, but it's not the same solution the original creator used. They did something where there's no studs on top using a part I don't recognize.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sockser posted:

To clarify it was a cool class and I learned a lot and liked the professor, just that this particular exchange pissed me off.

It might of been unprofessional of her not to take the time and explain why you were wrong, but you pretty much got the answer you deserve. If you actually used the phrase "and that's what's really important here, Yknow? Building analytical and spatial reasoning skills" I'm surprised her eyes didn't roll out of her head.

Testro
May 2, 2009
The sad thing is, part of the shift towards Lego being perceived as predominantly male was when you started to get more complicated face printing.

On the one hand, it was awesome that you could have pirates with eyepatches and stubble, but one of the things Lego might've missed is that some girls who had Lego were quite happy pretending that the figure was female. Hair pieces were fairly interchangeable, or a hat could be used - and a generic smiley face didn't really signify one way or another. As soon as you add a beard and stubble, you can't do that any more.

I was always a bit unhappy with body pieces that had boobs drawn on because you could pretend that someone in a t-shirt was either gender, but adding breasts meant that it couldn't be re-used for a male figure and it also meant it was a grown up woman - especially if it was paired with a head which had lipstick on (and I'd rather learnt from the media that grown up women were rubbish as characters to play with - they were the ones who got kidnapped and screamed a lot...stuff like Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles etc - and you even saw it in books with the female character in Famous Five (Anne) being completely wet, whilst George the tomboy was part of the adventures).

As the years have gone on, especially with the addition of Star Wars etc to the brand, Lego has become more and more male dominated, various toy sellers have been happier to categorise Lego as being for boys and not girls, and you've ended up with a situation where Lego decided they required a different line so they could appeal to the girls who weren't already buying the sets. So I totally get why they did it, even if it's not to my taste. At least the Friends builds are relatively more complicated - my big criticism of the earlier lines were that the builds seemed to be simplistic in comparison.

Oddly enough, the adult Creator builds (like the Modulars, Fairground Sets, Winter Village etc) are the most gender neutral sets, in my opinion.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What's the goon verdict on the UCS X-Wing? Decided to give the TIE a miss in favour of wishing they'll make a TIE Interceptor again or a Bomber.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

It works, but it's not the same solution the original creator used. They did something where there's no studs on top using a part I don't recognize.

I can't quite follow, can you mark the part in a picture for me? Maybe someone else can identify it.

(I just ordered 2 falcons and a star destroyer and will pick up the other sets that are still available at the lego store for the VIP points, then I'll start my own build)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

What's the goon verdict on the UCS X-Wing? Decided to give the TIE a miss in favour of wishing they'll make a TIE Interceptor again or a Bomber.

I quite like the X-Wing! It was a fun build, thing is absolutely massive. Only thing that sucks is the cockpit stickers. It's also likely to go out of production soon since it's been around for awhile, so you should probably grab it while you got the chance.

Also worth mentioning is the Tie came out a few months ago, so it's not going away for awhile judging by the UCS X-Wing's lifecycle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopper posted:

I can't quite follow, can you mark the part in a picture for me? Maybe someone else can identify it.

(I just ordered 2 falcons and a star destroyer and will pick up the other sets that are still available at the lego store for the VIP points, then I'll start my own build)

This bit here:

It looks sort of like two 1x2 with clip (part 92280) pieces stuck back to back but I'm not sure why they would have done that, or how it would be held together. Could just be poor image resolution but I don't see a seam either.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah that one, yeah I have been wondering that myself. It looks like there is a small "ledge" attached to a brick...

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Hopper posted:

Any idea where the blue tube comes from that is the engine glow?

Already beaten, but this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370568687464

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Testro posted:

As the years have gone on, especially with the addition of Star Wars etc to the brand, Lego has become more and more male dominated, various toy sellers have been happier to categorise Lego as being for boys and not girls, and you've ended up with a situation where Lego decided they required a different line so they could appeal to the girls who weren't already buying the sets. So I totally get why they did it, even if it's not to my taste. At least the Friends builds are relatively more complicated - my big criticism of the earlier lines were that the builds seemed to be simplistic in comparison.

It's really a chicken and egg situation; the typical narratives call out Lego for driving gender segregation when really they're a victim of market forces. Lego's market share with girls was always anemic, even when they were at their purest and most gender-neutral. We've probably all seen the vintage ad with the little girl proudly holding up a prototypical 5-year-old's hodgepodge Lego house, but the "good old days" weren't actually that good--Lego's best efforts were never enough to overcome social pressure to see their bricks as a boy's toy. Lego's shift to more explicitly boy-oriented branding was a reflection of how the market already saw their gender-neutral product lines, and the launch of Friends was less about needing a new product line to appeal to the girls they drove off as it was about needing a new product line to appeal to the girls that society never encouraged to get into Lego in the first place. Complain about Friends if you want, but Friends means that Lego is selling more building toys to more girls than they ever did or could with good old fashioned generic models and figures.

This doesn't mean I'm happy with the directions Lego has taken since I was a kid either, but they're not really the ones in the driver's seat. If they had stuck to their guns, Lego would merely be fodder for "15 Crazy Toys Only Children Of The 80s Will Remember!!!!" clickbait articles on Facebook today.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ijyt posted:

Probably the best X-Wing display model they'll ever make.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I quite like the X-Wing! It was a fun build, thing is absolutely massive. Only thing that sucks is the cockpit stickers. It's also likely to go out of production soon since it's been around for awhile, so you should probably grab it while you got the chance.

Also worth mentioning is the Tie came out a few months ago, so it's not going away for awhile judging by the UCS X-Wing's lifecycle.

Dang, the Slave I has been out almost a year too, hasn't it? Hope they stick around to Christmas once I've got the spare bonus money.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Hey folks! I just got a report that said "ban everyone in the lego feminism derail", but while tedious, it doesn't look like it's exactly an emergency or anything, so if y'all could just keep it under control as much as possible that would warm my heart :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The x-wing is my favorite set that I have. It's cool as hell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

UK peeps! Sainsburys has S14 in! :toot:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The_Doctor posted:

UK peeps! Sainsburys has S14 in! :toot:

Had S14 in. Empty shelves yesterday :( Waterstone's is a better bet I find.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ijyt posted:

Dang, the Slave I has been out almost a year too, hasn't it? Hope they stick around to Christmas once I've got the spare bonus money.

ijyt posted:

UCS that doesn't totally bomb usually lasts 2 years so you're fine

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Doesn't the new winter village set come out tomorrow and does it come with a exclusive? I still haven't gotten around to building last years set with the recent move so having two Christmas sets is going to be great.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dogen posted:

UCS that doesn't totally bomb usually lasts 2 years so you're fine

Didn't realise that the X-Wing had been out since 2013, thanks. :shobon:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So I placed an order for some parts on BrickLink nearly a week ago, and the vendor has yet to send me an invoice. I've sent him an e-mail asking what's up with that, but I've still got nada. I'm guessing I should send a cancellation notice and try a different vendor, but I'm loathe to do that as very few vendors have all 22 parts I need in a single order, and those that do have high minimum purchase limits, and I really REALLY want to spruce up my microscale spaceship tout de suite.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

SoundMonkey posted:

Hey folks! I just got a report that said "ban everyone in the lego feminism derail", but while tedious, it doesn't look like it's exactly an emergency or anything, so if y'all could just keep it under control as much as possible that would warm my heart :)

Good lord that's one sensitive sally. I thought it was quite a calm discussion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't have any strong opinions on Lego friends and I'm not offended by pink leisure themed sets, but those weird looking mini figures kind of set this precedent that Friends=girls lego and everything else is for boys. it makes the lines seem incompatible with each other. There's probably some market research out there that shows girls prefer those dolls though. I had some Paradiso sets as a kid and I liked them even though I wasn't thrilled that they were pink. I think if they came with dolls I would have had more of a "girls are supposed to be playing with this" attitude. Lego people seem fine for all kids so I don't know why they bothered making weird figures to try and appeal to girls.

Anecdotal evidence here, but if my friends who have daughters are any indicator, girls prefer Lego Star Wars over anything.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I mean, while there are probably a fair number of kids that want the dolls, another big factor in who gets a toy is the parents. The little doll minifigs say to that parent "this is a girl toy, buy it for your daughter". If there was a little girl who previously really wanted Lego but her parents said "no, that is a boy toy" maybe now she's at least getting Friends sets.

And to the gender variant kids out there, how the toy's shaped and colored doesn't really change how they play. I was part of a lot of violent Polly Pocket massacres in my youth.

I was hesitant about the Friends line at first, but now it's got a pretty decent variety of play sets that I'm not too bothered, even if they are all pink and purple. They're not as adventurous as, like, Arctic exploration, but a skatepark and jungle treehouse are pretty cool.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The toy industry definitely has gendermspecific toys, like GI Joe and Barbie, but (prior to friends) I think most Lego sets were pretty gender neutral. I mean Lego in the 90s didn't have a hair salon, but they had hospitals and fire stations where women worked (and considering the first Google result says 4% of fire fighters are women, my previous comment about fire fighters being mostly men is in fact, not sexist).

My wife like Star Trek, Star Wars and Harry Potter but she does not play with Lego. I can see Star Wars as being a "boys" franchise but it's a lot less sexist than the Call of Duty Megablocks.

I dislike my research lab simply because I feel like it got too much hype and so many articles accused Lego of being a sexist toy- which is maybe a tiny bit true but compared to other toys I really don't think Lego has a sexist image problem.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lego Homemaker Theme: 1971-1982
230 Hairdressing Salon: 1978, with gendered maxifigs.
Lego SCALA: 1979-2001
Lego Town Paradisa: 1992-1997 (heavy on pinks and introduced gendered minifig heads in 1992. Town didn't start using them until the following year).
Lego Belville: 1994-2008

Lego: Doing specifically girl-focused lines continuously since at least the 1970s. The break between Belville and Friends was probably the the most 'gender neutral' phase because they just didn't have a girl-focused line.

Lego's sets are predominately focused on traditional 'boy' things like cops, firefighters, cars, construction, medieval soldiers...and their ranks were full of male minifigs. A rare female minifig in the Castle line was almost certainly a princess. Space never suffered from it since everyone had the same clothing. In Town they were usually in the medical sets or as general townsfolk. Thankfully uniformed characters could be gender neutral, but once gendered heads came into play that basically vanished and firefighters and police were heavily skewed male.

Lego may have been perceived to be more gender-neutral in the past, but like most nostalgia, it's not all that true. They've had a problem attracting girls to Lego since the beginning.

I want Lego to include more female minifigs in their sets. I want a more equitable distribution across every line, not just City (how many women are in Ninjago and how many females in Chima?). If they're going to gender the torsos and hair, they need to spread those out, too. Picture a set with a cop pulling over a driver in a sports car. Cop head print is rugged, has 5-o'clock shadow, standard cop torso, and a police cap. Driver head is a smirking woman, torso has boobs and a bare midriff, and a girl's hairpiece. Can't really make the girl the cop unless you want to get very non-traditional with your minifig gendering.

I like Friends sets, but I think the minidolls were a mistake. Their look is all right, but they don't fit in with Lego as well (legs don't move independently, hands can't turn, don't lock in when sitting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
ATTENTION GERMAN GOONS:

20% off LEGO STAR WARS, CITY and TECHNIK at Karstadt from today 16.09 until 22.09 or until stocks depleted.

EDIT: Meh, they don't have any of the new models or the UCS at all, deal is not as impressive anymore. Does count for City and Technics though.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 16, 2015