Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Nondevor posted:

[This season was pretty magical in a lot of ways. I'd definitely have to rank it S4 > S1 > S3 ~ S2. S3 had better contestants and games, but S2 had so many good Sangmin moments in it that I can't help but like it.

This season was great, but nothing has surpassed the feeling of you magnificent bastardness I got during open/pass.

alkanphel posted:

Would be pretty fun to see some of the Genius S4 players guest appear in Crime Scene!

I don't think that is going to be a problem :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Holy poo poo. It's not even that Dongmin is good at everything. It's that Dongmin is actually the BEST at everything.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Colonel Cool posted:

Holy poo poo. It's not even that Dongmin is good at everything. It's that Dongmin is actually the BEST at everything.

Is the only proper reaction to the kind of supremacy displayed here. Especially after hearing about Dongmin's humble background and lack of early education compared to Kyunghoon's school+cram school+sunday school upbringing.
Dongmin had a little luck with his items and I really dislike the mechanism where a wrong answer costs you a point but his Genius is undeniable. I could not figure out any of the later math puzzles with generous use of a calculator and the pause button.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

alkanphel posted:

Would be pretty fun to see some of the Genius S4 players guest appear in Crime Scene!

Mentality King's eyebrows throwing everyone off.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
What a great season. I looked around but couldn't find anything about a potential fifth season. I did see that the rights have been sold to other countries, so that's cool.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
It's all good. I mean, how many gameshows do you know that decided to "quit while they're ahead"?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
True. I can always go back and watch the first 4 seasons again. When I look back at clips, I already don't remember some of the stuff happening.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Meme Emulator posted:

The (Liar Game) J-Drama is awful. Dont bother.

uh it actually owns

Also here's possibly the last BTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh5cNeOuj8k

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Anaconda Rifle posted:

What a great season. I looked around but couldn't find anything about a potential fifth season. I did see that the rights have been sold to other countries, so that's cool.

The narrator at the end says "See you next time", so I'm hopeful.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Solid end to a fantastic season. Would pretty firmly put it as my favourite, although obviously it's only that good if you've watched all the previous ones. Dongmin is God. Any slight annoyance I might have had at him winning again was wiped out when he went for that question at the end that he didn't need and almost lost the whole season for himself. Total legend.

Agree with everyone else that Season 5 would be great, but they should try and draw an end to this era of the show. All-new cast, ideally with some old faces returning in a non-contestant capacity in some way. And yeah, I feel like it would be better/fairer if nobody got eliminated for an episode or two - we missed out on so much great potential Titty God action last year! Could make for a boring start to the season though, so they'd need to add something extra in.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just started watching Season 1. This show is pretty great. I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I think it best to avoid this thread, but thank you for turning me onto this show!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

GraPar posted:

And yeah, I feel like it would be better/fairer if nobody got eliminated for an episode or two - we missed out on so much great potential Titty God action last year! Could make for a boring start to the season though, so they'd need to add something extra in.

Garnet match for the first elimination in episode 3 seems like it could work. Allows for two non-elimination episodes with actual stakes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I like having someone eliminated each episode.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Dongmin for President.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I like having someone eliminated each episode.

S1: would more Junseok have been a good thing? (Yes)
S2: would more Hweejong have been a good thing? (Yes)
S3: would more Juri have been a good thing? (At the very least, it wouldn't have been bad)
S4: would more Junghyun have been a good thing? (YES)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

But the loss is what makes them all the sweeter~

I mean you could carry this on into absurdity and have a show where you never eliminate anyone with that logic.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Colonel Cool posted:

I mean you could carry this on into absurdity and have a show where you never eliminate anyone with that logic.

but that's what made unan1mous so good

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Sure you could change the format entirely but then you'd have a completely different show.

Anyway, personally I think the first few episodes of each season are kind of chaotic and hard to follow because there's so many people. It gets more watchable when people start getting eliminated and you start knowing more about the people left.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Colonel Cool posted:

We're suggesting no elimnarions for the first couple rounds, full stop. There's no slippery slope here. I think 2 no-elimination rounds is a good number. Give all the contestants time to settle into it and get used to the dynamics, rather than get eliminated in a single episode by what is often just bad luck.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Alright, number janggi game theory time.

I think I would have tried a strategy where I would keep my 10 in the flank, thereby avoiding the possibility of a minus battle, and push one flank hard, having my king follow the pack, and having my mines guard the other flank. I'd try to have my 1 move along side the 10, protecting it from side attacks via minus battles. I'd use my average numbers to clear out mines ahead of the main push.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I'm just annoyed at tittygod running into the most obvious mine in the world.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I had a feeling he'd lose the board game match since the beginning when he simply gave up the initiative like that.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

[spoiler]I was a little bemused by Dongmin's final speech. "I did this for all comedians to show comedians are smart"? Hmm. /spoiler]
Why?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

I'm just annoyed at tittygod running into the most obvious mine in the world.

Yeah, I was a bit confused by that as well. It was so obvious that I just figured I had misunderstood a rule or something. Nope!

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
What a season. This tops season 1 for me. Also I'm God.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

I had a feeling he'd lose the board game match since the beginning when he simply gave up the initiative like that.

Kyunghoon really showed a lack of faith in the gamemakers by initiating what amounts to a stalemate attempt. If passing initiative were a superior strategy to moving across the board then neither player would be incentivized to move at all.

I know he was going for an unexpected or innovative strategy to take Dongmin off his game, but even a passing glance at the rules - and the ability to move your pieces without advancing - suggests that doing nothing is not the optimal strategy. Or that the game is fundamentally flawed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

xcore posted:

Yeah, I was a bit confused by that as well. It was so obvious that I just figured I had misunderstood a rule or something. Nope!

He seemed to be fixated on the idea that Dongmin's king was back there. Although he still should have moved the 7 to the back rank first just to get a good piece back. Then it would be able to stop the 'king' from escaping, and he'd be in good shape even if wrong.

Kyunghoon would have been murdered in Twelve Janggi if it had come up for him. I was sort of pulling for him up until he totally blew the game that was pure strategy.

More thoughts on Number Janggi:

Piece rankings are [M]-10-9-1-8-2-7-3-6-4-5 (minus values going low to high). So 5 is useless except to trip a mine or capture the king, unless you can get on a minus line.

I would think mining the back row might be a decent idea, unless the returned piece comes in simultaneously with the mine going off. It'd still keep the king out of the way (I wonder if the king must survive on the back rank or just reach it to win).

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kyunghoon made a big strategic blunder in not realizing the value in getting a 2 for 1 in revealing the opponent's pieces.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know. I mean, of course comedians can be smart, why couldn't they be? The way he said it made it seem like comedians are a looked down upon group that he thought he needed to represent well, and I've never really thought of them that way, or thought about them much at all

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, Carlos Mencia is proof that comedians should not be categorically regarded as intelligent.

Is there a Spotify playlist of everything from The Genius soundtrack? That would own.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also, Carlos Mencia is proof that comedians should not be categorically regarded as intelligent.

To be fair Dongmin did say Korean comedians.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Fast Luck posted:

I don't know. I mean, of course comedians can be smart, why couldn't they be? The way he said it made it seem like comedians are a looked down upon group that he thought he needed to represent well, and I've never really thought of them that way, or thought about them much at all

A lot of comedy comes from pretending to be dumb and that's the impression that is stuck in most people's minds.

Like I guess it's probably different from an american perspective, what with like stand-up comedians being all about reciting smart quips and stuff. But keep in mind that in most countries (including Korea) the mainstream comedians are more... Clown-like?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Korean TV tends to be on the cheesy side and cheesy comedy is usually dumb jokes and physical gags. Notice how every time someone makes a mistake when they speak they get mocked for it relentlessly (not just Jinho). I also noticed the Running Man cast (and some idols I like) pretend not to know things for the sake of laughs.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anyone listened to any of the The Genius podcasts that are around? Any to recommend in particular?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

xcore posted:

Anyone listened to any of the The Genius podcasts that are around? Any to recommend in particular?

I listened to a Dom and Colin podcast and it was very long (2 hours 12 minutes) and in depth. It was the S5E3 Samgnin exit and it was funny to hear them slowly start to realize this Kyunghoon guy may be more then just a troll.

Sylencia
Jul 31, 2015

GraPar posted:

Solid end to a fantastic season. Would pretty firmly put it as my favourite, although obviously it's only that good if you've watched all the previous ones. Dongmin is God. Any slight annoyance I might have had at him winning again was wiped out when he went for that question at the end that he didn't need and almost lost the whole season for himself. Total legend.

Agree with everyone else that Season 5 would be great, but they should try and draw an end to this era of the show. All-new cast, ideally with some old faces returning in a non-contestant capacity in some way. And yeah, I feel like it would be better/fairer if nobody got eliminated for an episode or two - we missed out on so much great potential Titty God action last year! Could make for a boring start to the season though, so they'd need to add something extra in.

The first episodes would be extremely boring when people realise you just farm garnets by cooperating with everyone rather than actually playing the game if there were no stakes (no elim)

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Sylencia posted:

The first episodes would be extremely boring when people realise you just farm garnets by cooperating with everyone rather than actually playing the game if there were no stakes (no elim)

Or you design the game so that everyone can't farm garnets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am disappointed by the lack of Extreme Ways.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Tunicate posted:

I am disappointed by the lack of Extreme Ways.

It was supposed to be Jinho's anthem of success, but he fell apart. He fell apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Dongmin deserved Extreme Ways for the correct guess on Kyunghoon's super long number sabotage attempt.