Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Maybe they decided that there is more than just one song they can use instead on using extreme ways over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Maybe they decided wrong.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The meme song

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wow, I honestly had no idea The Genius was that popular outside of these forums. I've been listening to old episodes of the two podcasts covering the show, and it's kind of awesome to hear other fans geeking out over the show and spending hours discussing characters and game analysis.

I do find it amusing that everyone on each podcast predicted Kyunghoon beating Dongmin in the finals.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was scouring through old Season 1 clips trying to find the origins of Extreme Ways and it's amazing how many shots I saw with giant film crews in the frame. It's almost like they made no effort to actually disguise any of it.

Is this just as prevalent now and I'm so engaged in the episodes that I don't notice or is it something they have cleaned up over time?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
I guess I wasn't paying attention. What's "Extreme Ways"?

Edit: Thanks!

Anaconda Rifle fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 21, 2015

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anaconda Rifle posted:

I guess I wasn't paying attention. What's "Extreme Ways"?

The Moby song. Played at the end of every Bourne movie and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBB2bPwKWVg

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It seems a lot of their soundtrack now comes from random poo poo they pick off of SoundCloud. One of my coworkers put on random drum & bass radio and I recognized like three of the tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/monstercat/pegboard-nerds-fire-in-the
https://soundcloud.com/foolsgoldrecs/rl-grime-shells-1
https://soundcloud.com/gramatik/gramatik-corporate-demons-feat-luxas

but then again it all sounds the same so

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

I do find it amusing that everyone on each podcast predicted Kyunghoon beating Dongmin in the finals.

There's stupid, and then there's "Betting Against Dongmin" stupid

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I dunno, Kyunghoon is chaos personified. Before the final I could see thinking he might pull it off.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
With all his social game hijinks it's easy to forget Dongmin is really, really smart.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

CeeJee posted:

With all his social game hijinks it's easy to forget Dongmin is really, really smart.

He's just a poor country boy who doesn't have of any of your all fancy book learnin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Zythrst posted:

He's just a poor country boy who doesn't have of any of your all fancy book learnin.

We Didnae have any toys or games, so we played with matchsticks.

Dongmin is the greatest :allears:.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I bluffed my way into school. :smug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I thought Kyunghoon had a chance until Dongmin won the 12 jengi death match.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
As long as Houngchul doesn't win Season 2 I'll be fine. The guy seems like douche personified. Also the person eliminated in Episode 1 (season 2) was another person I couldn't stand so, so far so good.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

SalTheBard posted:

As long as Houngchul doesn't win Season 2 I'll be fine. The guy seems like douche personified. Also the person eliminated in Episode 1 (season 2) was another person I couldn't stand so, so far so good.

Houngchul was one of my favorite people on all 4 seasons, besides the kings, of course.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

It is ok now. He drove drunk and was exiled from all TV.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they're already teasing his return to television

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

It seems a lot of their soundtrack now comes from random poo poo they pick off of SoundCloud. One of my coworkers put on random drum & bass radio and I recognized like three of the tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/monstercat/pegboard-nerds-fire-in-the
https://soundcloud.com/foolsgoldrecs/rl-grime-shells-1
https://soundcloud.com/gramatik/gramatik-corporate-demons-feat-luxas

but then again it all sounds the same so

These are well known artists

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

qbert posted:

Wow, I honestly had no idea The Genius was that popular outside of these forums. I've been listening to old episodes of the two podcasts covering the show, and it's kind of awesome to hear other fans geeking out over the show and spending hours discussing characters and game analysis.

Supposedly Kyunghoon is going to go on one of those (English) podcasts some time this week. This one: http://geniuscast.podbean.com/

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Fast Luck posted:

Supposedly Kyunghoon is going to go on one of those (English) podcasts some time this week. This one: http://geniuscast.podbean.com/

if this happens please post it in the thread

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wow a podcast would finally be worth listening to

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dongmin is loving incredible

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was trying to think of why Kyunghoon had targeted Kyungran during the minus auction so specifically, and then remembered that she had lied to him way back at the beginning of the season during his DM with Sangmin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Max posted:

I was trying to think of why Kyunghoon had targeted Kyungran during the minus auction so specifically, and then remembered that she had lied to him way back at the beginning of the season during his DM with Sangmin.

It's probably a stretch, but it'd be pretty great if Kyunghoon was unable to accept that his own mistakes are what lead Sangmin to the Death Match, and instead blamed Kyungran for making him take out Sangmin. He waits patiently for his revenge and finally gets it during the minus auction.

Speaking of the Sangmin elimination, it reminds me that I completely saw through his obnoxious fake-bluff, and that since Kyunghoon was trailing at the time if Sangmin was able to do it too we could very possibly have gotten a Sangmin/Dongmin final. The final and story leading up to it this season was great, but I think this would have been interesting as hell.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Houngchul was one of my favorite people.

So after 5 episodes of Season 2, I totally agree with you. He's great! His excitement to go to Death Matches sold me.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

NowonSA posted:

Speaking of the Sangmin elimination, it reminds me that I completely saw through his obnoxious fake-bluff, and that since Kyunghoon was trailing at the time if Sangmin was able to do it too we could very possibly have gotten a Sangmin/Dongmin final. The final and story leading up to it this season was great, but I think this would have been interesting as hell.

If nothing else, Sangmin vs Dongmin wouldn't have been so one-sided... Or so I'd like to believe, anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

If nothing else, Sangmin vs Dongmin wouldn't have been so one-sided... Or so I'd like to believe, anyway.

Sangmin probably would have tried to knock Dongmin to the deathmatch, while getting immunity for himself. Multiple times, if needed.

The best way to fight Dongmin is not to fight him.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Spoilers regarding Toke of Immortality:

That was so loving kick rear end. 2 tokens in the safe and Sangmin used it loving perfectly. Goddamn I wish Survivor would steal that gimmick. Holy gently caress I laughed and yelled so loud seeing Doohee get hosed over like that

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamn I wish Survivor would steal that gimmick.

Are you talking about the fake one? If so, Survivor kind of are doing that this year. Whilst not explicitly the same, they've said the idol could look like anything this year. This means the idol could just be painted stick or something, which could throw a spanner in the works.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

xcore posted:

Are you talking about the fake one? If so, Survivor kind of are doing that this year. Whilst not explicitly the same, they've said the idol could look like anything this year. This means the idol could just be painted stick or something, which could throw a spanner in the works.

Ya I'm looking forward to that honestly. It should be fun!

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also, Carlos Mencia is proof that comedians should not be categorically regarded as intelligent.

Is there a Spotify playlist of everything from The Genius soundtrack? That would own.

link me?

(me and my extreme ways showing up again)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SalTheBard posted:

Spoilers regarding Toke of Immortality:

That was so loving kick rear end. 2 tokens in the safe and Sangmin used it loving perfectly. Goddamn I wish Survivor would steal that gimmick. Holy gently caress I laughed and yelled so loud seeing Doohee get hosed over like that

It reminded me of the Tyler Perry idol from Survivor and kind of ruined the rest of the season for me. I recommend episode 6 to people as a decent episode, and proof of why I wouldnt ask that they watch anything else of season 2 except maybe the first episode with the animal game.

In retrospect, Sangmin isn't horrible but I just found the entire season very unsatisfying.

That said, Hongchul's reaction shots to bandage man were amazing.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Anyone who's seen Infinite challenge couldn't possibly hate Hongchul.

Also, holy poo poo Dong. Titty may be the king slayer, but Dong is a GOD.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

CHiRAL posted:

Sangmin didn't really deathmatch much in any of his seasons, so it's hard to say. I think he would've been crushed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

At the very least, I think Sangmin would have known where Dongmin's bombs were in the first match, and may have played that game better than Kyunghoon did. I'm not sure who could have beaten Dongmin in the second game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fast Luck posted:

Listening to the first episode now and hearing them fawn over Yohwan as a legitimately really good player who is not bad at main matches is so surreal to me. :psyduck:

e; Also they keep calling Extreme Ways "Mysterious Ways" instead and it bugs me.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 23, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dragonatrix posted:

Listening to the first episode now and hearing them fawn over Yohwan as a legitimately really good player who is not bad at main matches is so surreal to me. :psyduck:

e; Also they keep calling Extreme Ways "Mysterious Ways" instead and it bugs me.

For how much time they spend talking they get a lot of things wrong. It's not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/129777248808/yeonseungs-blog-post-after-the-genius-black

Kinda neat bit of behind the scenes stuff.