Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I reiterate: Jerome Flynn would play a fine Vimes :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm doing a clearout. If anyone wants some Discworld novels in Polish, they're yours for the postage. I have:

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Guards! Guards! (hb)
Jingo
Hogfather
The Truth

I'll be offering them round on the work Intranet as well and they have dibs because I don't have to hassle with the postage, but odds are good they won't be taken.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

How well does Pratchett even translate? His yarns are so pithy and colloquial that it seems like you'd lose a ton of stuff if you left English. Hell, there's a ton of stuff I miss not being native to the UK.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BizarroAzrael posted:

Joanna Scanlan could be Sybil too. I'm not sure Vimes should be played by a comedian. And Jack Dee should be Professor Whiteface.

I've always imagined Whiteface as Angry Old John Cleese.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Liquid Communism posted:

I've always imagined Whiteface as Angry Old John Cleese.

Without the mustache though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

How well does Pratchett even translate? His yarns are so pithy and colloquial that it seems like you'd lose a ton of stuff if you left English. Hell, there's a ton of stuff I miss not being native to the UK.

Learn to speak Polish and find out!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Stroth posted:

Without the mustache though.

I would accept painting over it Caesar Romero style.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Dunno if these are any good but Amazon has a flash sale up on Discworld Ale.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0093HEMEQ?ref_=gbps_img_s-3_9907_dea325b2_GB-SUPPL&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

thespaceinvader posted:

The first Doctor in the Doctor Who revival. The northern one.

More northern than the current one? Still, I think of Vimes as more stoic than Chris, who has a bit of a plastic face.

Can't believe I never checked back after finishing Reaper Man. Loved it. Well, half of it. The whole shopping mall thing felt stuck on, as much as I loved the wizard thing and that little tie in. Much better than Mort in terms of writing, but Mort was more coherent. If that makes sense.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

The Czech translationist used to leave his own footnotes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bilirubin posted:

More northern than the current one? Still, I think of Vimes as more stoic than Chris, who has a bit of a plastic face.

Can't believe I never checked back after finishing Reaper Man. Loved it. Well, half of it. The whole shopping mall thing felt stuck on, as much as I loved the wizard thing and that little tie in. Much better than Mort in terms of writing, but Mort was more coherent. If that makes sense.

Northern as opposed to Scottish, yes. Although the one after was also Scottish though he hid it well.

I picked up a whole pile of my Pratchett hardbacks from home yesterday. I will finally do my reread of some choice ones, followed by all the Tiffany Aching ones up to and including TSC.

I also finally got round to GNUing my website.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Avalerion posted:

The Czech translationist used to leave his own footnotes.

Still better than the first German translator, who would insert advertisements for products.

I may hang onto my Polish Mort; I just remembered it's the last book Terry signed for me with a pen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The ads were really more the publisher's idea and they did it to a lot of fantasy/sci fi/broadly-horror books (I remember finding one in Peter Straub's Koko), but please don't take this as any sort of concession that the first German translator did something right.

e: he left a footnote once when there was a genuinely untranslatable pun, and I remember thinking it must have been the only one where he realized.

Actually to be fair to the guy, there were at least two quite good bits in his translations. First one was the bit in Soul Music where it's revealed that Imp's name translates to Buddy Holly; since holly is called something entirely else in German, he stuck a bit onto that sentence so it went like "it means stechpalme or holly in another language" which, I'll grant, sounds inelegant but is probably the only way you can preserve the joke. And hey, I wasn't super good at English back then, and I could work it out.

And the second one is genuinely great: in The Last Continent when the wizard are stuck on the island, they come across the cigarette bush and wonder what kind of bird would aid the seed transfer by stopping for a smoke. In English the Bursar suggests, obviously, a puffin. In German it's a barn swallow, because it just so happens that the German name for those birds is Rauchschwalbe, which translates easily to smoking swallow.
Technically the direct translation is just smoke swallow but the connection is really easy to make.

Anyone else got some favourite bits from translations?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 19, 2015

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I just started reading the bromeliad as my kids bed time story really cheered me up after finishing the shepherds crown

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BizarroAzrael posted:

I would accept painting over it Caesar Romero style.

I would demand painting over it Caesar Romero style.

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013
There's a particular passage in Carpe Jugulum that I've always loved, but also always been slightly confused by. It's the bit where Granny Weatherwax and Mightily Oats are trekking through the wilderness, and they start talking about the nature of sin:

quote:

An old woman (who happens to be a witch) and a priest are sitting by the road having a conversation.

(The conversation starts on the classic subject of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?")

"Sixteen!"
"You've counted sixteen?" said Oats eventually.
"No, but it's as good an answer as any you'll get. And that's what you holy men discuss, is it?"
"Not usually. There is a very interesting debate raging at the moment on the nature of sin, for example."
"And what do they think? Against it, are they?"
"It is not as simple as that. It's not a black and white issue. There are so many shades of gray."
"Nope."
"Pardon?"
There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
"It's a lot more complicated than that--"
"No it ain't. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they're getting worried that they won't like the truth. People as things, that's where it starts."
"Oh, I'm sure there are worse crimes-"
"But they Starts with thinking about people as things…"

I've always loved this section, and I get what Granny means about "white that's gotten grubby" (how most people are just trying to do the best they can, but are often led astray by ignorance), but I've always struggled slightly with the statement: "sin is when you treat people as things, including yourself". I know it's an indictment of the human tendency to turn people we don't know into homogenised Others, and treat them according to our personal assumptions and stereotypes, and how those stereotypes can easily enable otherwise-good people to commit horrendous crimes. It's one of my favourite moral instructions for that very reason, and has helped me a lot in understanding the motivations behind many of the worst atrocities in history.

But what I don't understand is the "including yourself" clause. How exactly are you supposed to Other yourself? How exactly are you supposed to treat yourself like a "thing"? The most I can think of is the kind of selfless dedication many sincere idealists exhibit, putting their own needs way below the needs of whatever ideal they believe in. But I'm not sure how that would be a bad thing. Maybe if the ideal they were pursuing was a terrible one? Like the toxic, self-destructive ideals of masculinity that plague our society?

I don't know. Does anyone else have a good reading of this?

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
I've always interpreted that as reducing your concept of self to a group. If you're a soldier, don't forget that you're also a person, otherwise you can end up doing sinful things without noticing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd go further and include stuff like considering yourself an instrument of God's will, an eventuality from circumstances, an animal acting on instinct, or anything of a similar ilk. Basically refusing to take charge of your free will and saying that you have no choice but to be swept away in the current, and in turn, sweep others away as you fall.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
It's a folksy way of expressing Kant's moral philosophy. Always struck me as kind an odd choice for Granny because throughout the rest of the books she's fairly obviously a utilitarian who successfully navigates moral problems that would defeat a Kantian; such as allowing an unborn baby to die to save the life of the mother.

I guess the real issue is in analyzing the philosophical consistency of comedy fantasy characters.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 23, 2015

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I just started reading The Long Earth and I felt like I should encourage others in this thread to read it f you haven't - it's not Discworld but it's got Terry's voice in it so strongly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've always read it like jamus. People will do horrible poo poo for a cause or a belief, even when it makes no sense. Equally, they'll allow horrible poo poo, even if they disagree, to be done to others. Why that is is twofold; it's either fanaticism or it's a lack of self esteem. Oats has both and so he blindly follows the teachings of the church of Om (which are insane, harsh and conflicting) and allows horror to happen because if it.

JanVanHouten
Jun 6, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Anyone else got some favourite bits from translations?

[Excuse my english]
Patrick Couton, the french translator is really good and really loved by the readers.
He tends to use equivalent reference when something is not known by french peoples, and he sometime add jokes or reference in compensation of those he didn't manage to translate.

In an interview he explained that in Soul Music he decided to "translate" Hyde Park by le Parc des princes (a famous stadium in Paris where a lot a concert take place) since it seemed a fitting iconic equivalent. But he was annoyed because he was forced to lose Pratchett's reference to the fact that Hyde was a measurement unit.
After additional searchs he found that prinse (Prince and Prinse sound the same in french ) was a old forgotten french measurement unit so the translation is perfect.

A few other impressive translation feats:
UNDEAD YES, UNPERSON NO ! => INHUMES, OUI ! INHUMAINS, NON ! (Inhumé = buried )
Dwarfs With Altitude => Suprême naine ta mère ( Suprême NTM ( Supreme gently caress Your Mother ) being a french rap group )
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on = >
L'éducation, c'était un peu comme une maladie sexuellement transmissible. Ça rendait inapte à des tas de besognes, puis ça démangeait d'en faire profiter les autres.
( This one is really good since "besognes" means "jobs" but the verb "besogner" is also an informal way to talk about making love, and he choosed to translate" you had the urge" by "ça démangeait" who also mean "it itches" )

It's nice to be able to reread the book in french and english and always find new jokes.

The only thing I find disturbing is the remplacement of a dialect by an other. For french readers wee free men speak ch'ti ( the main dialect talked in the north in France ), but I really don't think the ch'ti are seen by the french as the scotts are by the brits. Ho and in Pyramids ephebians talk with an accent from Marseille. I never really understood why.
[/Excuse my english]

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rustybear posted:

It's a folksy way of expressing Kant's moral philosophy. Always struck me as kind an odd choice for Granny because throughout the rest of the books she's fairly obviously a utilitarian who successfully navigates moral problems that would defeat a Kantian; such as allowing an unborn baby to die to save the life of the mother.

I guess the real issue is in analyzing the philosophical consistency of comedy fantasy characters.

I think it's hard to classify Granny as a utilitarian. She wouldn't classify her actions in midwifery, for example, as good, which utilitarianism presupposes is true for minimal-harm actions. Given her extremely rigid and critical view of herself, I think it's perfectly sensible for her to be someone who has a strong Kantian sense of ethics who nevertheless ends up doing many unethical things. But you could probably get something out of examining the Second Formulation with respect to the Witches books (or to Discworld more generally). Not just the main antagonists, but many of the secondary conflicts revolve around treating people as a means to an end, and in some interestingly ambiguous ways.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

angerbeet posted:

I just started reading The Long Earth and I felt like I should encourage others in this thread to read it f you haven't - it's not Discworld but it's got Terry's voice in it so strongly.

It's a fine world, it just lacks any real interesting story. It's just a book where some people move through the world without anything very much happening. WHich is OK, but... it's nothing special. I bought the first one, got the second on kobo, and couldn't be bothered with the third :(

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a fine world, it just lacks any real interesting story. It's just a book where some people move through the world without anything very much happening. WHich is OK, but... it's nothing special. I bought the first one, got the second on kobo, and couldn't be bothered with the third :(

We'll see with the last one, which Baxter is finishing solo. I'll read it to see how it ends, but I expect it to have even less sparkle than the previous four.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The sad thing is that there was a short in A Blink of the Screen set in the proto-Long-Earth which was really good and actually had some interesting ideas about using the mechanics of the world to further the story, rather than the other way round.

What could have been :(

Also, do you suppose there is an autobiography squirrelled away somewhere in Pterry's estate? I've always wanted one, now more than ever. He has a fairly interesting history.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I think it's hard to classify Granny as a utilitarian. She wouldn't classify her actions in midwifery, for example, as good, which utilitarianism presupposes is true for minimal-harm actions. Given her extremely rigid and critical view of herself, I think it's perfectly sensible for her to be someone who has a strong Kantian sense of ethics who nevertheless ends up doing many unethical things. But you could probably get something out of examining the Second Formulation with respect to the Witches books (or to Discworld more generally). Not just the main antagonists, but many of the secondary conflicts revolve around treating people as a means to an end, and in some interestingly ambiguous ways.

Witches Abroad can be interpreted as Granny throwing down against utilitarianism.

My take on Granny is that if she ever did nail down a philosophy you could wrap up in a few pithy paragraphs, it'd be the same as she said to Oats would happen if she found religion. Or to put it in almost her own words: "Don’t chase morality, ’cos you’ll never catch it. But, perhaps, you can live morally."

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

thespaceinvader posted:

I think I like it because it's what I would do - I'd go West. One of my favourite books growing up was My Side of the Mountain - if Step Day happened here and now I'd be gone in an instant.

You make your own story, in this particular set of worlds.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tehan posted:

Witches Abroad can be interpreted as Granny throwing down against utilitarianism.

Possibly, although I have a hard time interpreting Witches Abroad as being about anything but firming up Granny's character, because Lilith's ethos is so inchoate it's almost not there.

"I'll force people's lives to match stories (or if that's too hard I'll just punish them for not matching stories), and this makes me good because ???????."

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Why do you need to define Granny Weatherwax outside of Granny Weatherwax? Sort of kinda the point, I thought.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Possibly, although I have a hard time interpreting Witches Abroad as being about anything but firming up Granny's character, because Lilith's ethos is so inchoate it's almost not there.

"I'll force people's lives to match stories (or if that's too hard I'll just punish them for not matching stories), and this makes me good because ???????."

Because she's moulding her own life to match the story of the Good Witch, in the process becoming the Wicked Witch. Compare and contrast with Granny, who is the reality of the Good Witch but the story of the Wicked Witch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I am re-reading the Watch books, in order. I'm like 80% through Jingo.

I realized that I just don't like this book much. It may well be the weakest of the Watch novels. Everything in it goes on just a bit too long. Vetinari with Nobby and Colon? Hilarious, until the fifth time Vetinari puts Fred down without Fred realizing. There's far too much of that kind of thing.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm reading Going Postal again and realizing I really want to see Wes Anderson make it into a movie

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I am re-reading the Watch books, in order. I'm like 80% through Jingo.

I realized that I just don't like this book much. It may well be the weakest of the Watch novels. Everything in it goes on just a bit too long. Vetinari with Nobby and Colon? Hilarious, until the fifth time Vetinari puts Fred down without Fred realizing. There's far too much of that kind of thing.

Jingo would be a stronger book if you removed half of the Nobby/Fred/Vetinari stuff, imo.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here's what I get out of it. First, we get to see see Nobby and Colon out of their element as the ultimate foreigners (and, in Nobby's case, men) abroad, blundering through a foreign country with typical English sensitivity and growing as people by the end of it ("let's go to the Bunch of Grapes instead...") But the Gulli, Gulli and Beti sequence is about far more than Nobby not doing a belly dance and Fred pretending to be a stupid fat idiot.

That section also adds considerably to our understanding of Vetinari. It's easy to understand how, once in power, he stayed there. What this section gives us is some very useful glances at how he might have got himself there in the first place. It's a very useful and important piece of character depth to actually get to see Vetinari having to do things for himself, living by his wits and personally getting the donkey down from the minaret; IIRC the only other time we get to see him (as it were) on active service is when we meet him as a young man in Night Watch.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's also the end of Raising Steam.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Only just found out there was a '90s cartoon adaptation of Soul Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pMjkM2xmBI
Jump to 7:45 for some Colon and (a very normal looking) Nobby.

It's a bit weird at a glance. EDIT: But Christopher Lee as Death?! Heck yes.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Only just found out there was a '90s cartoon adaptation of Soul Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pMjkM2xmBI
Jump to 7:45 for some Colon and (a very normal looking) Nobby.

It's a bit weird at a glance. EDIT: But Christopher Lee as Death?! Heck yes.

They did one of Wyrd Sisters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Going to get a new book and I figure it's time to get started on either Death or the Witches books. Thoughts?