Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
My tomatoes are hanging on by a thread, my entire flower garden is overrun by weeds, and the sun isn't staying out until obscenely late anymore... guess summer's nearly over.

However, the volunteer squash growing out of my compost heap is apparently a small ornamental gourd variety from my Halloween decorations last year! :psyduck: Picked my first one yesterday. Looking forward to getting all my motherfuckin' decorative gourds for free this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
make some sick nasty ladles and scoops n poo poo

can you eat gourd?

gourd is fun to say

gourd gourd gourd gourd gourd

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I mean I already have a light that's not doing anything, so it won't cost me anything
oh your landlord is gonna love this! "utilities included," indeed! Have you spoken with them about their opinions on creating a moisture-laden mildew and fungus sphere in your rental? Look up the kind of damages that a small pot grow can be held liable for, when you think about tomatoes and peppers indoors.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My basement peppers are doing great though! My outdoor peppers are doing great too though...

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The fiancee and I just bought a house a few weeks ago, and the previous owners were nice enough to leave us some sort of plant life in the tiny back yard and the front of the house. We have no idea what the plants are, but they look kind of dead. We removed some weed-like plant that had consumed half of our patio, but aren't sure what to do next. Is it too late in the season to try and plant some flowers (we are in Memphis)? Is there someplace we can read up on very, very basic gardening so that we are better prepared for next spring/summer?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tell me about using railroad ties soaked in creosote for a vegetable garden. And what I'm actually asking is about railroad ties that look to be 50 years old in a 3 bed setup that this old house that we bought came with.

At first I was thinking they may be ok because of how long they appear to have been there but doing some research online I am now heavily leaning towards not using them. This of course means I need to remove them and put it entirely new beds (which I have now done twice at other houses).

Am I being paranoid and I should use them or should I be rid of them?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Totally TWISTED posted:

Tell me about using railroad ties soaked in creosote for a vegetable garden. And what I'm actually asking is about railroad ties that look to be 50 years old in a 3 bed setup that this old house that we bought came with.

At first I was thinking they may be ok because of how long they appear to have been there but doing some research online I am now heavily leaning towards not using them. This of course means I need to remove them and put it entirely new beds (which I have now done twice at other houses).

Am I being paranoid and I should use them or should I be rid of them?

I wouldn't use them around anything I want to eat and I wouldn't use any dirt that has been around them for any length of time to grow anything I would eat.

Dig out 6-12" below the lowest timber, remove the timbers and replace with something else and then fill it in with the new compost mix.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
So I have an aloe plant at my cubicle at work. I know that they have little extra baby plants grow of the side of them, and to prune those off so the main plant has more energy... But what are these leaves that don't look like the plant? Is it something else that grows but not really a "baby aloe plant"?

I've got 2 that look like small aloe plants, and 2 that are just flat textureless green leaves.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MaxDuo posted:

So I have an aloe plant at my cubicle at work. I know that they have little extra baby plants grow of the side of them, and to prune those off so the main plant has more energy... But what are these leaves that don't look like the plant? Is it something else that grows but not really a "baby aloe plant"?

I've got 2 that look like small aloe plants, and 2 that are just flat textureless green leaves.

post a picture

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Meant to post this after work, hard to upload due to lovely signal. But here is what I was talking about :

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
hm. I would probably try eating it and gauging your body's reaction to the plant and go from there but that's just my two cents.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

MaxDuo posted:

Meant to post this after work, hard to upload due to lovely signal. But here is what I was talking about :

That is a succulent plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succulent_plant

They do grow pretty big. Rabbits and squirrels love them. Water them sparingly and they'll do fine.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Yeah that looks like a variegated aloe plant. The small leafy guy next to it is probably a random weed.

Here's some pictures of my backyard garden:

Back left there's papaya then eggplant, okra, green onion, and then jute right by the short block wall. Further right is wing beans and kabocha pumpkin growing under the dead tree. Far in the back is a rose banana patch.

To the left of my backyard is some type of banana, lima beans, then behind that bitter melon, and way in the back some type of long bean seedlings.

Here's my cooking banana patch that's much too big for the area it's in. I meant to plant it where the rose banana was planted, but got them mixed up.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MaxDuo posted:

It looks like another succulent of some sort but I have no idea what, probably just some other random seed that got in there somehow. Definitely not a baby aloe.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 11, 2015

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Alright, my first thought when it first appeared was "Oh no I've done something wrong why does this offshoot look so pathetic?" Then it got bigger and I saw it wasn't shaping anything like the other ones. It's got really odd looking now, looks like it has little root things growing at the edges of the leaves. I'll probably wait a while longer to remove it, when the babies get a bit bigger to just cut them off and plant them elsewhere.

edit: Here's what the extra weird thing looks like now:

Can't help but notice another one next to it. I think there's actually 3 in the pot... and 2 baby aloes shooting up as well.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 12, 2015

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Looks like some form of sedum.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone here have experience with hydroponics? I googled around a bit, and decided that an ebb-and-flow system would be good for the start. Still have a couple of questions, so just curious if one of you has a system setup.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Check in TCC. Seriously. They're all experts at growing "tomatoes" there.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yep, TCC may as well stand for "Tomato Cultivar Club". :grin:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Yeah I have been reading a lot about tomato cultivation in the last two days. I was like "tomatoes? why is it always tomatoes?"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah I have been reading a lot about tomato cultivation in the last two days. I was like "tomatoes? why is it always tomatoes?"
Tomatoes is almost identical to pot/weed in many ways. It likes the same amounts of nutrients and light, can be force-grown in all kinds of interesting ways to shape the plant or encourage larger yields, etc. I live in Oregon and it's been kind of a :ssh: running joke for many years prior to legalization, about how many hydroponic gardening shops there are around, and they always have tomato pictures on the sign - kind of like going into a head shop for a "tobacco water pipe" and both the people selling and the person buying are like wink wink nudge nudge... Hell, tomatoes and pot will both irritate your skin if the hairs on the leaves get on you, too. Pot has woodier stems but that's the main difference.

For reals though, the basics of hydroponic weed gardening are the place to look for the basics of hydroponics, I was being serious. The drug guys are serious professionals and borderline scientists about that stuff, even the skeeziest laziest stoners I've known who grew for money, were AMAZINGLY sound when it came to raising "their babies". They sterilize the rooms, avoid smoking near the plants or smoking and then handling them (also important with tomatoes), get brand new dirt every time if they use dirt, etc. ;)

When I bought my house, I got a little grow light and heat pads and stuff to try starting my own peppers and stuff, and my dad REALLY seemed to think I was trying to grow weed with a 2' long grow light that only telescoped to 2' tall LOL. I still am not sure if he believed what I said it was for or not.

"The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan has an interesting section on the evolution of cannabis.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 27, 2015

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Three years in, one precious apple, supposed to be a Fuji, and it's a motherfucking Golden Delicious. :negative: I don't want to dig the drat thing up, so I guess that's the cooking apple tree. After losing the entire summer garden, I'm just extra disappointed. So much garden fail this year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We've decided to sell our house and move in the next one to two years so we are abandoning our outdoor gardens. They've been so crappy anyway. I did start up my aquaponics inside again! Once the plants get a little bigger I'll post my DIY setup.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

Three years in, one precious apple, supposed to be a Fuji, and it's a motherfucking Golden Delicious. :negative: I don't want to dig the drat thing up, so I guess that's the cooking apple tree. After losing the entire summer garden, I'm just extra disappointed. So much garden fail this year.

Ouch. Ouch.

Whoever planted the apple trees in our yard planted them right along a fence that is also the neighborhood squirrel Superhighway; we don't have apple season at our place but rather SquirrelFight season. Entertaining, but not crisp and delicious :(

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Micomicona posted:

Ouch. Ouch.

Whoever planted the apple trees in our yard planted them right along a fence that is also the neighborhood squirrel Superhighway; we don't have apple season at our place but rather SquirrelFight season. Entertaining, but not crisp and delicious :(

Sounds like a youtube channel sensation.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm beginning to grow more and more convinced that direct sowing is the best method for pretty much all crops, at least in my zone/area. The more research I do as well as my own results seem to show that direct sown crops avoid transplant shock, produce more consistently, produce more, etc. My starter cell veggies all seemed to wilt or just be runtier in general than any crop I direct sow. I'm under the suspicion that starter seedlings start that way primarily because most areas are trying to avoid the danger of frost killing off seedlings, which there is no danger whatsoever of that unless I were to sow in early January.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

Sounds like a youtube channel sensation.

Ha, there is also a huge bird feeder built in right next to that fence, we filled it a grand total of once right after we moved in. The squirrel screams (!) got to be too much for us. There's a lot of squirrels in our neighborhood.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Currently building a raised bed vegetable garden!

Beds built from pallet wood and recycled nails

Marking out final bed locations

First broccoli seedings planted.

Current state of the garden, just one bed left to build before I get started on the reticulation (arduino and web enabled)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

I'm beginning to grow more and more convinced that direct sowing is the best method for pretty much all crops, at least in my zone/area. The more research I do as well as my own results seem to show that direct sown crops avoid transplant shock, produce more consistently, produce more, etc. My starter cell veggies all seemed to wilt or just be runtier in general than any crop I direct sow. I'm under the suspicion that starter seedlings start that way primarily because most areas are trying to avoid the danger of frost killing off seedlings, which there is no danger whatsoever of that unless I were to sow in early January.

Yup, if you can make sure your stuff won't get wiped out by cold then you'll get better results with less effort and money spent by just planting from seed as early as possible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is there a non-edible gardening thread? All I could find is the Plants thread, and I want to ask about low-water groundcovers.

As far as edible gardening goes, this is definitely the year I'm putting in an elder. I want elderflower fritters in the spring and elderberry cordial in the fall. I'm planning on S. nigra "Black Lace" which is slightly -- note slightly -- shorter than the species, and will go against the fence. http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3037/black-lace-elderberry/

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a non-edible gardening thread? All I could find is the Plants thread, and I want to ask about low-water groundcovers.

As far as edible gardening goes, this is definitely the year I'm putting in an elder. I want elderflower fritters in the spring and elderberry cordial in the fall. I'm planning on S. nigra "Black Lace" which is slightly -- note slightly -- shorter than the species, and will go against the fence. http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3037/black-lace-elderberry/

I think the plants thread is appropriate for that type of question.

Do you have any recipes to share? I put in a bunch of native elderberries and they are just starting to produce well this year.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ajuga (bugleweed).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I think the plants thread is appropriate for that type of question.

Do you have any recipes to share? I put in a bunch of native elderberries and they are just starting to produce well this year.

Nope, I'll have to Google when the time comes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
How badly does basil bolting affect taste? I've been careful about pinching off my basil flowers as soon as possible but some of the plants still grew a few flowers when I left for 3 days in the warm season. Is there a way to visually tell whether it's bolted? Perhaps it's just my imagination, but the ones that haven't bolted have rounder leaves than the ones which may have bolted...

All of this because I think my basil tastes off but I think it might just be from making too much caprese salad during tomato season. :(

e:vvvvvv

Yeah, I tried using my thai basil twice and didn't really enjoy it so I let that one bolt. It is quite beautiful.

Jan fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 28, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jan posted:

How badly does basil bolting affect taste? I've been careful about pinching off my basil flowers as soon as possible but some of the plants still grew a few flowers when I left for 3 days in the warm season. Is there a way to visually tell whether it's bolted? Perhaps it's just my imagination, but the ones that haven't bolted have rounder leaves than the ones which may have bolted...

All of this because I think my basil tastes off but I think it might just be from making too much caprese salad during tomato season. :(

Bolted basil tastes like someone's chopped some automotive rubber hose in your salad. It tastes 'industrial'. I usually let my basil bolt anyway though because it looks pretty and I don't use enough of it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Damnit free maters couldn't you have waited until next spring?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
My garden is pretty much dead at this point. The raspberry bush is living but losing a lot of lower leaves which is weird, and I'll probably haul it inside when it starts getting too cold. The red pepper plants are producing small peppers and actually holding up. Thyme is of course a beast and the strongest.

Everything else ate poo poo. Basil was good until it wasn't and is about to die. Somehow my mint totally died which shocks me. The zuc and cukes died a long while ago from as far as I can tell loving aphids.

So how can I handle those loving pests? I'm not an omg organic person I will use whatever will work. Next year I won't use premixed soil for sure but apparently it's bug o clock at this new house.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 28, 2015

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Somehow my mint totally died which shocks me.

Similar question -- I know it's not actually a mint, but does anyone grow yerba buena (mint-like plant for tea, groundcover, etc) and have advice? I'm in zone 10b and have my plants in bright shade under an oak, but they keep dying. I planted them over the summer...maybe just the wrong season to plant?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spookydonut posted:

Currently building a raised bed vegetable garden!

Beds built from pallet wood and recycled nails

Marking out final bed locations

First broccoli seedings planted.

Current state of the garden, just one bed left to build before I get started on the reticulation (arduino and web enabled)
Wow that is some sandy-rear end soil. Have you thought about blueberries? :D

Shifty Pony posted:

Damnit free maters couldn't you have waited until next spring?
Has the soil there been disturbed? raking and tilling can encourage seeds to germinate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

The zuc and cukes died a long while ago from as far as I can tell loving aphids.

Sevin spray has killed anything I've ever used it on. I killed black cherry aphids earlier this year, and I've used it against squash bugs with pretty good success as well.