Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cockatiels sound like they are stuck at 6 months old, except with wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Cockatiels sound like they are stuck at 6 months old, except with wings
Basically. Smart enough to be entertaining, too dumb (in my experience) to be malicious. Even the crankiest cockatiel I've ever had was still hilarious.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So I started reading this book on clicker-training and training the budgies. So far, Hubris and Gnosis will both bite the target stick and Hubris occasionally will stretch his neck to bite the target stick if it's far away, but that's it. They tend to lose interest very quickly--sometimes Hubris will just stare at the target stick in front of him and poof his forehead up at it, deflate it and poof it up again. Gnosis will just side-eye it and do nothing.

But other than that, it's going well! And reading the book is good practise for my German. :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

BTW, Literally A Bird how is Ama doing?

Tendai posted:

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE

I totally meant to save that with a transparent background but forgot.

He's asleep now but I'll show him later, surely he'll appreciate it. :3:

anotherblownsave posted:

So it's gonna take a little extra work to get Finn hand trained, but it's gonna be so worth it. He's the cuddliest cockateil :3:

People talk a lot about cuddly conures, but tame cockatiels are honestly just as good-they just hate being held or petted anywhere below the neck (not that you should because of hormonal reasons but even feet they tend to hate being touched). Once he's hand trained you'll be constantly in demand for scritches and he'll be forever smushing his face against you for attention. :3:

Tendai posted:

I've tried both. Then I get frustrated. Then I remember that we're talking about a creature who last night spent 30 minutes bent double with his head in his water dish, yelling, apparently because he just liked the accoustics.

My standards might be too high.

I'm going to look for one of those balls though, I think that might be the trick since he can see it but it still makes him put forth effort. I wish I'd known more about foraging when I first got him so I could have started him as a baby potato instead of as an idiot adult.

Steve is 7 or 8 years old now, it's never to late to start! (why does he never do hilarious stuff like yelling in his water dish)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah give us an Ama update. Amadate.

Battle Pigeon posted:

People talk a lot about cuddly conures, but tame cockatiels are honestly just as good-they just hate being held or petted anywhere below the neck (not that you should because of hormonal reasons but even feet they tend to hate being touched). Once he's hand trained you'll be constantly in demand for scritches and he'll be forever smushing his face against you for attention. :3:

Steve is 7 or 8 years old now, it's never to late to start! (why does he never do hilarious stuff like yelling in his water dish)
I agree 100%. If Judah's out I literally cannot lift up whatever hand/arm he's not on without him ducking his head down to get his neck scratched. They are simpler than big complex fuckers like cockatoos and greys but cockatiels have this absolutely guileless charm about them :3: They might not be the smartest parrots but goddammit they're doing their best.

I really wish my phone had been at hand when he was doing that because holy poo poo I was laughing so hard. He'd whack his beak against the side a few times then just start whistling and yelling and chattering at himself so it echoed. At least I assume that's why, who the hell knows with them.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Daisy yells at her food dish a lot, I can't figure it out either. Perhaps she thinks the food should come to her

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Perhaps she thinks the food should come to her
This is literally all cockatiel heaven is. Neverending millet that floats right over so you don't have to untuck your foot from your belly and move :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

painted bird posted:

So I started reading this book on clicker-training and training the budgies. So far, Hubris and Gnosis will both bite the target stick and Hubris occasionally will stretch his neck to bite the target stick if it's far away, but that's it. They tend to lose interest very quickly--sometimes Hubris will just stare at the target stick in front of him and poof his forehead up at it, deflate it and poof it up again. Gnosis will just side-eye it and do nothing.

But other than that, it's going well! And reading the book is good practise for my German. :3:

I love the image of the head poofing. Adorable! :3:

I've been clicker training Kiwi and it's going well so far. Once I found the magic treat that worked (she does not care about millet, apples are the best!) and now I just have to move calm eating of apple from my fingers to being ok with me holding her. I think cause I see her everyday it feels like I'm not making any progress, but my dad claims she is far better than she was a month ago.

learnincurve posted:

Awwwwwwlook at the pretty birdie!

Btw if you find your bird sleeping on the bottom of the cage and you do t think they are ill they might want a flat perch or a flat swing, 2 of mine prefer them and they are awesome for putting fruit on.

I might do this! I think Sammy might just be a weird bird, but I also think it's his sleepy place cause it gets the least light. He's always swirling away upside down whenever I take off his cover in the morning, it's just the original sleeping times he wants to tuck up in the corner where the black plastic bottom is. I'm debating a bigger cage for him, his tail feathers are getting all scruffy. Not quire sure what to do with the old one.

CROWS EVERYWHERE, you are giving me serious lovebird want. Toast is the most adorable little thing with the softest looking face!
Actually, all the bird pictures are lovely. Cockatoos and cockatiels oh my! And Judah stories :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Hmmm, she's been in there for a little while. Hopefully she is ready now!

Pop!

It's Toast!

Here are some pics of Baby Toast and her nestmates from the breeder:

Sitting birbs, eggs, babbu

*flails*

Current status: toasted, screaming

Gnarf gnarf gnarf

Well-fed messy birb

That's a lot of food

*peeps*

Your new little Toast is too cute :) Congratulations!!!!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

Mr Pending actually used the foraging ball!

Why is Steve Mr. Pending?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Khizan posted:

Why is Steve Mr. Pending?

His name is Steve Pending Rincewind

It was going to be either Steve (because it's a dumb name for a dumb bird) or Pending, as his previous owners never gave him a name despite having him for like five years. He got both because why not :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MMM FRESH MEATGREENS!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You call cockatiels dumb but my Quaker (supposedly an intelligent bird) would throw the brocoli away and pull the string to bits instead

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd wear that shirt.

nielsm posted:

MMM FRESH MEATGREENS!

Ahahaha look at how squinchy-eyed serious she is.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

His name is Steve Pending Rincewind

It was going to be either Steve (because it's a dumb name for a dumb bird) or Pending, as his previous owners never gave him a name despite having him for like five years. He got both because why not :v:

Do Ohtori and Inko have full names, too?

You call cockatiels dumb but my Quaker (supposedly an intelligent bird) would throw the brocoli away and pull the string to bits instead

Avoiding broccoli seems pretty smart to me. It smells so bad. :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Judah is the ONLY pet I've had as an adult who has a full name. Judah Birdface. His rap name is Birdface Killah. Eriza was too much of a divatiel to have anything but a single glorious name and the only one I can think of for Kiska at the moment is "fuckass" because she still hasn't caught the chipmunk that got in here a few days ago :mad:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My cat is named Teebo because I could not think of a name for her for a long time and just called her the black one, because my other cat was a tabby. So, The Black One -> TBO -> Teebo. She does not have a last name.

She is also why I do not have a bird, but she's adorable so I don't mind that too much. I just come here to look at cockatiel pictures to get my bird fix.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

MMM FRESH MEATGREENS!

She's got a little yellow mask around her eyes!

Maybe he is just really certain about what he wants in life, and it's to destroy

Khizan posted:

Do Ohtori and Inko have full names, too?

Ohtori does, Inko doesn't-just 'Inko' and his previous name, for lack of anything else.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

My cat is named Teebo because I could not think of a name for her for a long time and just called her the black one, because my other cat was a tabby. So, The Black One -> TBO -> Teebo. She does not have a last name.

She is also why I do not have a bird, but she's adorable so I don't mind that too much. I just come here to look at cockatiel pictures to get my bird fix.
Yeah it's a lot easier to have a bird without one >.> I love both of them but the "okay you're here so you can be here" gets irritating. Luckily Judah's "times he wants out" tend to correspond with Kiska's "times she sleeps for two to four hours" twice a day so I can shut doors and no one's mad.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
We have four cats, which has been a little challenging but we're managing OK enough. The first few days we had multiple attempts to get to Skillet's cage but for the most part they've all chilled out about it. We're still keeping him and the cats apart though, because I know better than to trust my house full of furry sociopaths to not eat a delicious meal of succulent cockatiel.

Skillet's middle name is potatoes btw

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
I don't remember if I've updated y'all about Slimbird and Frybird lately. So I'll share just in case I haven't.

I started school in mid August and I go everyday now with two very very long days because I'm close to graduating and need specific classes that are only offered at obnoxious times. Slim didn't adjust well to this and got angry and took to ripping out her feathers again. So I tried to manage it, but it got to a point where I couldn't make her happy and I called a rescue lady I know that has ekkies and is good with them.

She took Slimbird and I was really sad, but slim is thriving! She's feathering out and making friends. The lady owns are farm and rarely leaves plus she has family in the house so Slim is surrounded by people to dote on her. The only upsetting thing to me is the lady has decided to call Slim "Ariel" which is dumb for two reasons. 1) slim knows her name and responds to it 2) slim is not a mermaid. I could've been okay with Arial as a funny pun, but it's Ariel like the mermaid. Slims flight wings grew in over the summer and in my updates I've heard she's taken to attempting flight. For the first week Slim regressed to making baby noises and quit talking (she learned a lot of words this summer), but now she's gone back to talking and not being a huge baby. I have pics I'll post in a bit.

Fry is doing just loving fine as an only bird. In fact, I'm 99% sure he likes this better. The lady didn't take Slim's cage because she had lots of huge cages and Slim's cage wouldn't fit in the car, so Frybird has upgraded to bird mansion. He can't figure out the bird sized door on the side though so I have to open the big door if I want him to come out. I loaded his mansion with all his perches and toys and it's still sparse. If he wakes up before me in the morning he still climbs to the cage bottom and does the conure strut/March while he sings the songs of his people. He's completely off seeds now and has pellets in the morning and fresh food for dinner (thanks Slim for teaching him it was safe), so his plumage looks amazing! He is so very bright and shiny now.

I was drawing myself a bath the other night and he went insane over it and wanted in. He flew off me and was flying in circles over the tub until he landed on the ledge where he proceeded to yell at me so we could hurry up and get in. I finally got in with him no he did that little conure bath thing where he flaps his wings to wet himself. Then he spread out his wings to float because he thinks he's a duck. Don't worry he was supervised and I never let him go.

That is my bird update. Pictures incoming

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Disco Salmon posted:

Your new little Toast is too cute :) Congratulations!!!!
I'm seconding this!

:allears: Oh, goodness! Two of my baby birdies have been giffed!

Edit:

zbeezy posted:

... he did that little conure bath thing where he flaps his wings to wet himself. Then he spread out his wings to float because he thinks he's a duck. Don't worry he was supervised and I never let him go.

That is my bird update. Pictures incoming

I've had baths with Simon before. It's the silliest thing, but also a little nerve wracking until he finds the spot on my arm that has the right amount of water for him to "float" on ("float" here meaning "have water about halfway up his chest and then squatting down with his wings spread slightly").

Also, yay, bird picture update! I'm glad to hear Slim is doing better (and I agree that the new name isn't the best idea on the bird lady's part; I mean, really, after the mermaid? Granted I have a bit of a bias against said mermaid, so my viewpoint may be skewed...).

schnickety scribe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 28, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF, a bad idea if you have a cockatoo in the house:

http://i.imgur.com/8yS5jEp.gifv

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

We have four cats, which has been a little challenging but we're managing OK enough. The first few days we had multiple attempts to get to Skillet's cage but for the most part they've all chilled out about it. We're still keeping him and the cats apart though, because I know better than to trust my house full of furry sociopaths to not eat a delicious meal of succulent cockatiel.

Skillet's middle name is potatoes btw
Kiska shows zero interest in Judah when he's in his cage. None. She used to try to jump on it when it was covered to try to get to a window but that's just because it probably looked like a weird table. She's glanced at him a few times but is mostly just "meh" now. Considering how hard I have to work to keep her stupid rear end from killing everything else that moves in here and mice outside, it's kind of impressive how little interest she takes in him. I haven't ever tried to have him out when she's out, however, nor do I plan to because I've seen her prey drive and she's a fast fucker.

Cythereal posted:

It still kills me how fuckin' delighted he looks with the aftermath

(but whoever made the title will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes for that goddamn apostrophe in cockatoos)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Tendai posted:

It still kills me how fuckin' delighted he looks with the aftermath

(but whoever made the title will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes for that goddamn apostrophe in cockatoos)

I love this little video.... especially the Captain Morgan stance he makes at the end on the cup he sets upright :) You can almost hear him saying "I did that!! What a GLORIOUS mess!" as he surveys the carnage of the cups. Makes me laugh every time...

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Day one seems to be going well for Finn
http://i.imgur.com/axh5CIw.jpg
http://imgur.com/Ypx67cL
http://imgur.com/eZ4Kmwf

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The way he uses his weird little zygodactyl foot to knock them over is both hilarious and creeps me out for some reason

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at those excited derps :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

BTW, Literally A Bird how is Ama doing?

Tendai posted:

Yeah give us an Ama update. Amadate.

He has finished his antibiotics regimen and seems to be all better, thank you both for asking :3: Giving him the meds was the worst, because the morning dose would upset him and he'd refuse to come out of his cage for the next few hours. Then by the time he'd completely forgiven me and was ready to snuggle it was nearly time for his evening meds! Friday evening it took fifteen minutes to get him out of his cage for meds and bed and he was refusing to step up and making pitiful fear/pain sounds whenever I tried to get him to step up. Totally broke my heart.

Then my boyfriend went to pick him up and he was totally cool with that, the melodramatic little poo poo.

Anyway things are all good over here again, hooray!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Then my boyfriend went to pick him up and he was totally cool with that, the melodramatic little poo poo.
Ahahaha that's so just parrot.txt

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tendai posted:

Ahahaha that's so just parrot.txt

Nah, that's just intelligent beings. If someone was trying to cram bitter poo poo down my gullet, you bet your rear end I'd stay in my room.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This was linked in a public group I'm in so it should be visible to anyone I think:

https://www.facebook.com/leannemarion12/videos/10156110141485472/

I hope so because happycaique is adorable :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tendai posted:

This was linked in a public group I'm in so it should be visible to anyone I think:

https://www.facebook.com/leannemarion12/videos/10156110141485472/

I hope so because happycaique is adorable :3:

omg....I just squeeed out loud watching that.

Now I am torn between wanting a Caique or a BCC.... that hopping gets me every time!!! Ugh....I should just resign myself to the fact that I want a clone of all your birbs and a few that I have not seen yet in this thread :( Instead of being a crazy cat lady I will be the crazy birb lady.

I can live with that!

BTW Not sure if anyone is on this thread that is in the Seattle area, but there is a Parrot Expo next weekend in Seattle. http://www.flight-club-foundation.org/seattle-parrot-expo.html Looks like it should be interesting :) We are going to go and see all the birbs and have a great time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have some birb spam pictures of the bigger birds. Sorry if they break the forum, I'm on an iPad and can't tell what they will look like on a PC.

Window now clear, there was some chewing.

We are in one cage and we don't care

Thor, drama, Loki, shy.

Glamour shot of drama

Cages moved for cleaning

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 29, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, those could definitely do with a timg-ing :cheeky:

After Toast demonstrated that she was very capable of getting on top of the door, cupboard, fan, and stovetop vent... thing... I decided to give her a quick wing clip. I used the patented "stop stressing and just clip" method demonstrated to me by Adrian Gallagher, birb vet, and now she "gracefully flutters to the ground" instead of zipping right up on top of the wardrobe.

Toast is now safely ensconced in my cardigan once again (it's a chilly evening), trying to nibble my freckles, which are almost as tasty as my fingers.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Toast is now safely ensconced in my cardigan once again (it's a chilly evening), trying to nibble my freckles, which are almost as tasty as my fingers.

Is it just me or are lovebirds particularly interested in diving into people's shirts?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Sun conures too. Taco would be down my shirt 24/7 if I let him.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

Is it just me or are lovebirds particularly interested in diving into people's shirts?

They do seem to be known for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

GoldStandardConure posted:

Sun conures too. Taco would be down my shirt 24/7 if I let him.

If I pick something up when Simon's crawling on me and I'm wearing a shirt with a low enough neckline, he immediately crawls into the shirt. Then he'll either poke his head out the bottom, one of the sleeves, or out of the collar, usually right between my boobs.