Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I get the feeling that the company that contacted me is going to try to screw me on salary. The recruiter said that salary information is a mandatory part of the form at the offer stage. So they are probably going to agree to something and then go back on it when they see how little I am making. And then I walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

OWLS! posted:

I'm fairly sure I heard this argument about the oil industry.

Good point, no one makes money in the oil industry anymore.

Coredump posted:

I think part of it is when a tech start-up that gets popular like twitter, instagram, they get these huge valuations without the revenue stream to back it up. As these starts up get bought and sold there's no return on investment is there?

Services like that are worth more than their current revenue stream. Witness all of the handwringing years ago over how Google or Facebook or whatever weren't actually making money.

This is all a far cry from people thinking Pets.com was worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Just look at the craziness going on in SF right now and then consider what happens when the VC money waterfall dries up like the rest of the water in CA.

The shock effects are going to be felt through the entire IT sector as desperate developers flee the sinking ship and flood the market.

Some of you guys are too young to remember the first boom and bust around the millennium, but this stuff comes in waves and right now we're at a crest.

IDK, as long as government and commercial employees keep opening infected PDFs and getting everyone's personal and financial information stolen, I'm pretty confident that I'll have a job.

Which is to say that as long as human beings make mistakes, I'll have a job.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I get the feeling that the company that contacted me is going to try to screw me on salary. The recruiter said that salary information is a mandatory part of the form at the offer stage. So they are probably going to agree to something and then go back on it when they see how little I am making. And then I walk.

Congrats you found out that it is a lovely company before you got stuck working there!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

You want to make money? Learn Cisco and come to the midwest. All the local consulting companies are paying big time for Cisco engineers.

Networking in general is in demand out here. Along with any Enterprise Class wireless networking experience (Cisco, MotorolaZebra, etc...).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Take a stand and tell them you'll pass, then. If they really want you, they'll back down. If they don't back down, you probably won't want to work there.

(this is assuming you're not in dire straights and desperate for employment)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

flosofl posted:

This has been me the last couple jobs mostly due to lovely circumstance. I've taken it upon myself to make sure that does not happen again. I know to jump ship now if I feel like the bitch is going down and I can't stop it.

To be fair I actually like my current job, I could probably stood to ask for more money when they hired me though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nope, I'm happy where I am. I need to get out soonish for money reasons, but there are plenty of other places for me to be applying now that I have experience.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

flosofl posted:

We gotta install Server 2000
Custom hardware deliveries
We gotta move these UPS's
We gotta move these Cisco Chassis

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

:golfclap:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nope, I'm happy where I am. I need to get out soonish for money reasons, but there are plenty of other places for me to be applying now that I have experience.

This is one of those times when I'd be inclined to say that I am due for a raise to x dollars, so what you're asking for makes sense. I'd inflate my salary all day to an internal recruiter if they were asking.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

did you laugh at him uncontrollably? :byewhore:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not yet. Everyone wants to know what you're making. This is the first one that has insisted on it, but I'm keeping my options open. Who knows if it will even get that far.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
First day at new job and I already got to poke around on some switches via CLI :toot:

It's also nice to work at a place where the assumption is that the tech actually works rather than making a change to a distribution list and then having to leave the ticket open while you call 80 times to try and confirm it happened properly.

EDIT: Also I really didn't feel nervous about starting there at all. Am...am I a professional now?

Vulture Culture posted:

Instagram seemed like a really stupid idea at the time but was probably one of Zuck's better business decisions in retrospect, nobody under 20 uses Mombook

The userbase and engineering talent Facebook got by purchasing Instagram made perfect sense even at the time.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 29, 2015

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

:vince:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Gotta finish this song and then play it over the UHF Beverly Hillbillies music video.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

Gotta finish this song and then play it over the UHF Beverly Hillbillies music video.

I had to forcefully stop myself because I wanted to get some work done today.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not yet. Everyone wants to know what you're making. This is the first one that has insisted on it, but I'm keeping my options open. Who knows if it will even get that far.

Everyone wants slave labor too, but they're going to have to learn to live with disappointment sometimes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can we not do this for the second time in a week?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
2 out of 3 of our VMWare people are on vacation.

A program is getting updated and people were shocked that I didn't have the VMs updated with the software last week. They only just provided the software install today. Did I mention I'm not one of those VMware people?

So the remaining VM person offsite spent the whole day helping me update our images and showing me how to do it :unsmith:. Even started giving me access to things. I'd really like recompose rights since VMs once in a while go stupid and need it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bhodi posted:

Just look at the craziness going on in SF right now and then consider what happens when the VC money waterfall dries up like the rest of the water in CA.

The shock effects are going to be felt through the entire IT sector as desperate developers flee the sinking ship and flood the market.

Some of you guys are too young to remember the first boom and bust around the millennium, but this stuff comes in waves and right now we're at a crest.

I tried following the D&D Tech Bubble thread but I haven't had the time to follow. Essentially, even if there's an bubble we'd only see the small companies bought up by the bigger fish. We still need techs to keep everything up, running and Microsoft/Google/IBM would continue to hire.

Places like the Bay Area would be hurt as tech is such enormous part of their economy but the rest of the country probably wouldn't notice as much.

If anything there's going to be squeeze on typical system administration especially with the cloud. For a lot of businesses the cloud makes so much more sense than On-Premise Hardware or Co-location. The future of administration is going to be tying various systems together along with automating everything. They won't be actual developers but they'll certainly know how to program.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I just started baby's first system admin job and now you guys are talking about poo poo going belly up. :saddowns:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
My portfolio is 40% AAPL, 40% MSFT, 20% Bitcoin

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

If anything there's going to be squeeze on typical system administration especially with the cloud.

Let me be the first to respond to this with the word LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Coredump posted:

I just started baby's first system admin job and now you guys are talking about poo poo going belly up. :saddowns:

Sysadmins aren't going anywhere because ultimately retarded cloud program #973 still requires it be managed by someone intelligent. This dream that poo poo being in the cloud will suddenly make tools that don't talk to eachother good/work worth a poo poo when hosted locally suddenly "Better" somehow is all unicorn farts. Look at any goon doing a o365 install, it's still a ton of work even after it's done. People proposing that the cloud is going to do away with Sysadmins seem to think that dealing with the locally installed server is 99% of the job. It's not. It's 1%. I barely deal with that poo poo. Managing mailboxes and how users use them is 99% of the job, and the ~cloud~ doesn't offload any of that workload at all.

Also ~The Cloud~ is just a fancy way of saying "Hosted Solution". That poo poo's been around more or less since the 90's. Has your job evaporated? No? Mine either.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 29, 2015

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Who do we think's going to win in the centralised config management wars, anyway? Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, something else?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Woogles posted:

Who do we think's going to win in the centralised config management wars, anyway? Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, something else?

Why do you think there has to be a winner? They're all good at different things, and they all have some overlap.

What'll win is something which blows them all out, in the same way cfengine is dying.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

I remember it, and this isn't the same. Companies need to at least sort-of have a business plan to get funded now.

There'll be a glut of talentless people who can't figure out how normal businesses work, or who have very limited skillsets (because they were chasing the "winner" of tooling "wars" instead of learning how to get poo poo done, or following the LinkedIn "rewrite everything every couple years in whatever's cool" design philosophy). Skilled people won't have problems.

The bay has soaked up a lot of talented people, and a lot of hacks, and a lot of idiots who get hired anyway because there's that much of a talent crunch. That shakes out. It's Austin and Portland to worry about.

But a presumptive bubble bursting isn't the end of the world, and many of the people here will be fine, because we're not HackerNews or /r/sysadmin

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Woogles posted:

Are people still relying on this stuff to run systems? I thought we were running immutable infrastructures and containers now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Companies need to at least sort-of have a business plan to get funded now.
hahaha oh man, oh my sides, don't do that

hooo that was a good one

Pretend I just posted a dozen SF startup links of <delivery> but for <product>.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

evol262 posted:

Why do you think there has to be a winner? They're all good at different things, and they all have some overlap.

I like to picture IT ecosystems as replicas of Thunderdome: x things enter, 1 thing leaves. Now I freely admit this isn't realistic but it helps me get through the day.

Vulture Culture posted:

Are people still relying on this stuff to run systems? I thought we were running immutable infrastructures and containers now.

Us mere mortals are still using yesterday's stuff. What's it like in the future? Do MBAs still exist or have they finally been hunted to extinction?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Look at them yolo's,
That's the way to do it.
Let someone else provide
Their static IP's

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I want my... I want my.. I want my DNS
I want my... I want my.. I want my NTPPPPP

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Woogles posted:

I like to picture IT ecosystems as replicas of Thunderdome: x things enter, 1 thing leaves. Now I freely admit this isn't realistic but it helps me get through the day.

Us mere mortals are still using yesterday's stuff. What's it like in the future? Do MBAs still exist or have they finally been hunted to extinction?
I'm not sure, I haven't stepped outside a tech conference in eight years

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

Pretend I just posted a dozen SF startup links of <delivery> but for <product>.

Somebody still has to fund those (and keep funding them past seed), which needs more of a business model than "we'll make a website where you can buy stuff!", then letting Boo.com or Pets.com squander hundreds of millions of dollars in a couple of months.

Yes, it's a bubble and hype factory. No, it's not as bad as 1998.

Woogles posted:

They aren't, though. All config management systems have their own pros and cons. Pick one and use it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
As soon as interest rates go up, all that VC money is going to slosh into other markets. It's not going to cause the end of the world, but there will be a crunch and that crunch is going to eat the ends - the less skilled, the less mobile, the less flexible, and people with plain bad luck. The market goes up, the market goes down. It's cyclic. Nothing goes up forever, and it's best to plan for the worst. It's a bear economy right now, not business as usual.

For a laugh, here are some techs that were on my resume back then.

Sun Solaris (7, 8)
Perl 5
BEA WebLogic
Lotus Notes
Visual Basic, VBScript
Veritas NetBackup (this one was better then)
HP OpenView (Operations, Network Node Manager)
CiscoWorks (LMS, VMS)
SolarWinds Suite (before they bought like 10 companies)

Nothing vanishes completely of course; you can probably get a job doing any of the above even today. But in limited places in the country, or non-optimal work spaces, or you'd probably hate yourself if you touched them today. Especially Lotus Notes.

"Virtualization? In a word, dumb. What happens if the hardware dies, now I lose half a dozen servers rather than just one! This is never going anywhere." - an old co-worker, circa 2001

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 29, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

Somebody still has to fund those (and keep funding them past seed), which needs more of a business model than "we'll make a website where you can buy stuff!", then letting Boo.com or Pets.com squander hundreds of millions of dollars in a couple of months.

Yes, it's a bubble and hype factory. No, it's not as bad as 1998.
You raise a good point, which is that it's much easier to get seed money than it is to raise a Series A. Seed investments are usually built off someone's gut feeling on the founders rather than any specific product or strategy, which sadly doesn't require much of a business plan at all. (This state of affairs is improving, slowly.)

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Anyone going to Educause in Indianapolis at the end of next month?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hey, are application developers allowed in this thread or is it haraam for me to come in here and start talking about my Spring middletier and how vexing our backend guys are some times. I can't seem to find a "working in software development" megathread and i pine for a sense of community.

If it helps once upon a time I was in best buy geek squad, that's basically IT right? :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

Hey, are application developers allowed in this thread or is it haraam for me to come in here and start talking about my Spring middletier and how vexing our backend guys are some times. I can't seem to find a "working in software development" megathread and i pine for a sense of community.

If it helps once upon a time I was in best buy geek squad, that's basically IT right? :yayclod:
Nah, it's helpful to remind the admin types that devs and business analysts are a real part of IT too. :)