Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

We've known about that for awhile and it's going to be amazing. Apparently it's basically builable levels that you can actually knock down and sling the birds at. Lots of unique new pieces too being made to support it.

Finally another license I can save money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair you unlock them in game by playing the level, so it's meant to prolong the building experience and make it part of the actual level. It's more admirable than Skylanders and Infinity where the toy literally just sits on a stand forgotten about for the entire game. Here, you're expected to move between the virtual and the physical. It sucks for collectors, but rules for gamers and it's very novel in a way.

This is totally true. My kid and I play lots of Disney Infinity and the toys just sit there on the stand. It makes the whole thing of toys-to-life feel kind of stupid -- the figures could have just been shelf candy and the code they come with could have just unlocked the stuff in the game. The need for a base is completely artificial.

At least Lego made an effort to make Dimensions a game that actually involves the toys -- there are various game gimmicks that have you scrambling to move your characters around between the three zones on the stand, and while yes, it's a gimmick it's still the best implementation of "toys-to-life" or whatever we're calling this stuff. The mini-model builds pad game time a bit but it still serves the game by making the toy more than a static set-and-forget item.

I know I'm a sucker for buying into it but whatever.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 29, 2015

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
How is Lego going to make money on Angry Birds in TYOOL 2015? The kids have gone to Minecraft and the grandparents/sorority girls have gone to King match games.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

bloodysabbath posted:

How is Lego going to make money on Angry Birds in TYOOL 2015? The kids have gone to Minecraft and the grandparents/sorority girls have gone to King match games.

TYOOL 2016

Angry Birds as brand is still extremely popular with kids even if the games aren't. It's right up there with Minecraft, Star Wars, Frozen and Minions in terms of lunchboxes and schoolbags and novelty hats, at least in the UK for pre-teens.

I don't know if the movie is going to do well or not, but it's going to have a hell of a lot of marketing and mechandising behind it.

And after typing that I realize that with the exceptions of Minions Lego has all those licenses. I think they tend to have a pretty good handle on what their target market is into at any given time.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 29, 2015

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Dear god, don't even type it

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Too yellow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was at the lego store because I was driving by and saw the prices on the dimensions stuff.. what a joke. The lego properties are half the price of the portal and bttf ones which is terrible. Even accounting for increased part count and the license there is not $15 extra worth of fun in there.

So I filled a bucket from PAB instead. :buddy:

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
This is probably getting to much into the direction of the gaming stuff for this thread but I do think Lego Dimensions is a fun game. I like the aspect of swapping characters in the pad and my wife and I always play these games together.

I agree with pretty much everyone that they are charging too much but really no one needs to buy that much of the whole set. Really I don't think you even need one of every property unless you are really concerned with touching every single aspect of the game. Get the characters or levels you really want to play. That's the only way it's worth the price of admission. You might be gated out of a couple side paths in levels but is that really that big a deal?

Don't just buy them to collect. I've seen a surprising number of people online doing just this. You're just picking up mini-figs and not great minibuilds (they are after all designed to make 3 things with minimal pieces during gameplay) if you are just buying to collect. The only thing here you can't get any other way (yet) is the Portal stuff and I bet we'll get an actual set for that eventually. There doesn't even seem to be scarcity so there isn't even that excuse to buy up a bunch right away.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I gave in, and bought the XBone starter set off Amazon for my birthday. Being £20 cheaper than official Lego price was a big draw, but I'll hold out for the packs till I go to the US in a few weeks.

If there's not a thread already, I might make one for Dimensions in Games.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

shymog posted:

At least Lego made an effort to make Dimensions a game that actually involves the toys -- there are various game gimmicks that have you scrambling to move your characters around between the three zones on the stand, and while yes, it's a gimmick it's still the best implementation of "toys-to-life" or whatever we're calling this stuff. The mini-model builds pad game time a bit but it still serves the game by making the toy more than a static set-and-forget item.

I'm the other way on this. I found the gimmicky moving around stuff tedious and annoying and I'd be surprised if most people didn't when the novelty wore off.

I get what you're saying about the static figures on the portal though. When Skylanders first came out it was a novelty and for younger kids there was definitely this fun suspension of disbelief that the toys were literally appearing in the game because of your action outside. Now, while my kid likes the game and likes the toys/characters, the need to physically put them on the portal isn't "fun" in and of itself anymore.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The_Doctor posted:

I gave in, and bought the XBone starter set off Amazon for my birthday. Being £20 cheaper than official Lego price was a big draw, but I'll hold out for the packs till I go to the US in a few weeks.

If there's not a thread already, I might make one for Dimensions in Games.

There isn't, so please do

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm the other way on this. I found the gimmicky moving around stuff tedious and annoying and I'd be surprised if most people didn't when the novelty wore off.

I get what you're saying about the static figures on the portal though. When Skylanders first came out it was a novelty and for younger kids there was definitely this fun suspension of disbelief that the toys were literally appearing in the game because of your action outside. Now, while my kid likes the game and likes the toys/characters, the need to physically put them on the portal isn't "fun" in and of itself anymore.

I don't have the room in my place for a great big loving portal which is accessible during gameplay so I'm really hoping there isn't much moving around.
I don't want to have to get up and physically do things to play videogames
:goonsay:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I don't have the room in my place for a great big loving portal which is accessible during gameplay so I'm really hoping there isn't much moving around.
I don't want to have to get up and physically do things to play videogames
:goonsay:

I about the size of a blu-ray case.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I don't want to have to get up and physically do things to play videogames :goonsay:

There was a fair bit in the demo I saw. The guy who was showing it was really pushing it as a key feature/selling point. None of it (again that I saw), involved anything more than moving people around on the portal based on different colours glowing and stuff like that. If you've played any of the other Lego games swapping between characters with different abilities is the norm. This layers physical swapping on top of that.

You can have like 6 or 7 characters on the Portal and you only need the main three to finish the game, but hey, if Wildstyle is stuck in a red trap and she's on the side of the portal that's glowing blue, you better swap her to the side that's glowing red etc...

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PriorMarcus posted:

I about the size of a blu-ray case.

You underestimate how many flat surface spaces I have in my bedroom. And within reach of where I sit to play games it's literally zero.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

You underestimate how many flat surface spaces I have in my bedroom. And within reach of where I sit to play games it's literally zero.

It sounds like you would find use in a single TV tray not just for this game but numerous other activities enhanced by a flat surface (Eating soup, building a lego, etc)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A friend's son was part of a consumer test for Lego stuff today. Kid didn't have much coherent info other than "awesome" and "cool" and "amazing" and several words spanning every emotion from "kicking rad" to "unbelievable supercool".
However if you would like "some sort of fancy town house with garden pieces that go with it but are not attached" or "a super future house with solar things on the roof that make energy and an electrical car" [as in model of a hybrid/non-gas car not actually electric] you may be in luck sometime in the future.

Edit: to clarify, these are concepts for 2 modulars

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 29, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i just got my wall-e direct from lego and the head is swivelly as hell :smith:

which piece was supposed to have been the problem?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

i just got my wall-e direct from lego and the head is swivelly as hell :smith:

which piece was supposed to have been the problem?

The 'fixed' part is supposed to be the base hinge of the neck. The US versions apparently used parts from Mexico, and they weren't up to spec, so they couldn't support the weight of the head. AFAIK, Lego's said nothing about a fix for the head swivel. I should do a scan of the fan sites; someone's probably come up with a fix for that by now.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
ah, good to know. the hinges themselves seem solid so they must have fixed whatever the issue was there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lego Dimensions thread is up! :toot:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
oh i also got the UCS Slave I and it's :krad:

great build, the detail in the base/back of the ship is unbelievable. i wish the paneling on the front was a little more solid but it's primarily a display piece so it's not a huge issue (and it looks great).

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Pyroclastic posted:

The 'fixed' part is supposed to be the base hinge of the neck. The US versions apparently used parts from Mexico, and they weren't up to spec, so they couldn't support the weight of the head. AFAIK, Lego's said nothing about a fix for the head swivel. I should do a scan of the fan sites; someone's probably come up with a fix for that by now.

http://chrismcveigh.com/lego_mod_guides_2015/wall-e_head_mount.pdf

This is Mc Veigh's fix although it's more of a rebuild with how many additional parts you need.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I used that Wall-E fix, it works really well. You do have to go get some extra bits though.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Someone made the War Rig from Mad Max: Fury Road and it is incredible.

http://imgur.com/a/pfeCd

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

w00tazn posted:

http://chrismcveigh.com/lego_mod_guides_2015/wall-e_head_mount.pdf

This is Mc Veigh's fix although it's more of a rebuild with how many additional parts you need.

Constructibles made a packaged version of the fix but it's still not available annoyingly. Now that I got my sets I guess I'll be off to bricklink, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Dr. Light posted:

Someone made the War Rig from Mad Max: Fury Road and it is incredible.

http://imgur.com/a/pfeCd

He should submit that to IDEAS, it'll hit 10k in a matter of weeks.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Halloween vignette is pretty nice. I think it's a new skeleton design? The arms at least, I think they're just white versions of General Grievous' arms, and those are great. The model is good too, little spooky doorstep and spooky tree.

Thanksgiving one is growing on me. That Turkey is the standout thing though. We don't have Thanksgiving over here but I bet I could repurpose it into a nice Christmas scene. Will probably order that once I've decided which Mixels I want a second set of if the combination ones are any good. And any excuse to peruse Bricks and Pieces is nice.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered the Halloween and Thanksgiving ones. They look nice. And they cost less than a Dimensions set.
Looking forward to building them. I just wished I had not missed out on Easter and Valentines day. The 4 sets next to each other would have been a nice thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Guy in Thanksgiving set should have a grey beard.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
For any of you in the NJ area: Legoland center are latest additions to American Dream project
http://www.northjersey.com/news/aquarium-legoland-center-are-latest-additions-to-american-dream-project-1.1423036

quote:

A Legoland Discovery Center was announced as part of the Xanadu mix in March 2008 by Colony Capital, a year before construction was halted until 2014 due to insufficient funds. There are seven such centers in the United States, including one in Yonkers, N.Y., and another in Boston. Merlin Entertainments, the operators of the Sea Life and Legoland sites, describes the latter as “stepping into a giant box of Lego” toy bricks. Rides, classes, a party room, and a “4-D Cinema” — in which a 3-D movie is supplemented with motion seats, wind and strobe effects, rain and other stimuli — are to be part of the attraction, which is aimed at children aged 3 to 10.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Before I try elsewhere would anyone here be interested in buying my Super Star Destroyer? It has been assembled once, still in excellent condition, all Minifigs and box+manual are included.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

AllisonByProxy posted:

Before I try elsewhere would anyone here be interested in buying my Super Star Destroyer? It has been assembled once, still in excellent condition, all Minifigs and box+manual are included.

Price?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
just got one locally sans box/instructions or I'd be all over it.

also, I got a 20% off "x-men and the sentinel" lego 76022 set from TRU. anyone get this? They have it on sale on the website for 41 dollars, anyone know if they'll stack the sale + coupon? That would make it quite reasonable I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bushifox posted:

also, I got a 20% off "x-men and the sentinel" lego 76022 set from TRU. anyone get this? They have it on sale on the website for 41 dollars, anyone know if they'll stack the sale + coupon? That would make it quite reasonable I think.

I picked one up on clearance from Target for about $20 a few months ago, it's a pretty nice set. The sentinel is currently rampaging across the roofs of my modulars. :3:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

I'd like to get at least $500 + Shipping out of it.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

The_Doctor posted:

I picked one up on clearance from Target for about $20 a few months ago, it's a pretty nice set. The sentinel is currently rampaging across the roofs of my modulars. :3:

well that is a much nicer price. I haven't had good luck with clearances lately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow this guys stuff is fantastic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerac/albums/with/72157608480573747

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Anyone at or going to BrickCon 2015 this weekend in Seattle? I'm planning on going tomorrow morning with the wife and kid. I'm hoping to see some cool stuff.

Also, I stopped at my local Lego Store to take advantage of double points and walked out with the Temple of Airjitzu, the Emmet Fun Pack for Dimensions, and the Halloween vignette. I need more space for all this stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

shymog posted:

Anyone at or going to BrickCon 2015 this weekend in Seattle? I'm planning on going tomorrow morning with the wife and kid. I'm hoping to see some cool stuff.

Also, I stopped at my local Lego Store to take advantage of double points and walked out with the Temple of Airjitzu, the Emmet Fun Pack for Dimensions, and the Halloween vignette. I need more space for all this stuff!

I went with my niece & nephew, but didn't get to see most of the show. Only finished the section with Space and a few other things before they started complaining and sniping at each other too much.