Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tendai posted:

I was looking up a few things for the Islam thread in A/T when I looked at that and now my youtube recommendations are just loving weird :stare:

You can clear and then freeze your Youtube watch history. That feature's saved me a lot of grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

You can clear and then freeze your Youtube watch history. That feature's saved me a lot of grief.
Who doesn't like a Youtube recommendation list of dudes reciting the Qur'an and cockatoos being jerks?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mikerock posted:

What kind of birds are drama and shy? They are very pretty.

Mutated red rumped parrots, friend of mine has two from the same parents and the female is a very dull green but the male is a bright yellow with red patches all over him. They don't look their best in those pictures because shy's main tail feathers had moulted. When they fan them out they are longer and more impressive than the tiels but when they are folded back neatly they look like swallow's tails. Not very friendly but Drama (blue one) will copy anything he sees another bird doing and sings along in garbled harmony with the radio.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Toast briefly not chewing my earrings! She is looking outside where lorikeets are squeaking.

The camera app made noises as woke her up!

Who's a pretty birb :kimchi: (Note blue butt! And green back.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, I don't think I posted this pic my Dad sent me (while I was sending him all the Toast baby pics!). Everyone say hello to the (very wet) late Arnie, the house sparrow!

My dad was out in the garden on one of his days off and suddenly a small naked birb plops in front of him. He looks up and there is a sparrow nest in the rafters. He gets his ladder and picks the baby bird up and puts it back... and the parents kick it out (again, I guess). So he picks up the birb and puts it in his pocket and takes it inside to make up a fresh batch of Insectivore. The birb is very hungry and eats happily and even survives the night (she got a towel to sleep in and got to stay in the room with the heater if I recall correctly). Eventually it got its baby feathers and grew strong and healthy, and we named it Arnie (Arne was apparently old Germanic for eagle or something also it is a tough name for a birb). When she got her adult feathers she turned out to be a girl (sparrows have very distinct patterns for boys and girls) but she got to keep her name. When she was growing up my brother and I were coming home from school during lunch breaks to give her a feed :kimchi:

She grew up to be a very spoilt tame sparrow who liked my dad and was viciously territorial of him. She liked burrowing into his beard hair and also converted the kitchen handtowel into a sparrow towel (she refused to use a bird cage or a bird nest). One time she escaped when a relative was over and didn't know to shut the screen door (flies also got into the house :negative:) and reportedly flew into a neighbour's house, landed on their table, and started helping herself to their dinner. They caught her and, noticing her leg ring, put a notice on the town notice board saying they'd found a "Small Brown Canary". Another time she landed on a different neighbour's cat. Her favourite game when she got out was to find parrots and bite their tails.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what the gently caress is that

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Here is an Australian song about our birdlife for all you international bird crazies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L426wOBOdMg

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

what the gently caress is that

A wet sparrow!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Mutated red rumped parrots, friend of mine has two from the same parents and the female is a very dull green but the male is a bright yellow with red patches all over him. They don't look their best in those pictures because shy's main tail feathers had moulted. When they fan them out they are longer and more impressive than the tiels but when they are folded back neatly they look like swallow's tails. Not very friendly but Drama (blue one) will copy anything he sees another bird doing and sings along in garbled harmony with the radio.
Oh that's cool! They reminded me of linoleated (sp?) parakeets I've seen pictures of, cool that they're something else entirely. What lovely little birds.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Toast briefly not chewing my earrings! She is looking outside where lorikeets are squeaking.

The camera app made noises as woke her up!

Who's a pretty birb :kimchi: (Note blue butt! And green back.)
Look at this starburst-colored motherfucker :kimchi: Cute cute cute

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Oh, I don't think I posted this pic my Dad sent me (while I was sending him all the Toast baby pics!). Everyone say hello to the (very wet) late Arnie, the house sparrow!

..ahahahahahaha she looks SO DISGRUNTLED.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

What the hell is bumping my leg?

Oh. Morning Mookie.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Suntan Boy posted:

Oh. Morning Mookie.
"Uh... hey buddy... I brought you this..." :3: drat I wish I knew someone who owned a cockatoo I could go visit and play with and cuddle with and give back when they start acting like a jerk parrot.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Suntan Boy posted:

Oh. Morning Mookie.

You love and pet that bird right now

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FK8KtzGaqI

AHHHHHH! AHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! I gotcha! AHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHH!!! :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

And if you're unable to, I will bravely take up the duty :911:

anotherblownsave posted:

AHHHHHH! AHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! I gotcha! AHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHH!!! :3:
"I AM YELLING YOU ARE YELLING EVERYONE IS YELLING WE ARE ALL YELLING TOGETHER IN GLORIOUS HARMONY YAAAAY!"

Gotcha and Max are tied for my favorite internet cockatoo :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anotherblownsave posted:

I did not realize it is possible to psychosomatically induce tinnitus. My ears are ringing right now.

That would be a really awesome pet worshiping cult family to be in, though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've never realized what delighted laughter really sounded like until that gif :3: I can't stop cracking up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tendai posted:

I've never realized what delighted laughter really sounded like until that gif :3: I can't stop cracking up.

The video is even better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_quJRRGxk

The good stuff starts at 2:30

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What a ridiculous loving bird. I love it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I can't stop loving up some stupid dog drawing I've been trying to work on, it's bringing me down and I need a break from it, so post photos of your pet/s (non-birds are okay if you really want, just a nice and or interesting image) for me to copy into a drawing or painting

The catch: you have to be cool with me posting it online whenever I finally bother getting a gallery, I'll do it in whatever size/medium I feel like, and I'm poor so if you want the original you may have to wait a bit for it to be shipped out

Big/clear/high resolution photos please

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Max the moluccan loves watching this fellow cockatoo named Misha, who has his own theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRXcKW1DagI

"I'm a Misha! I'm a good bird! I'm your sugar! I'm a good girl!" It's so catchy that he convinces a goffin's cockatoo to dance to it.

He also really, really likes cheeseburgers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMzFHnJAZKw

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Battle Pigeon posted:

I can't stop loving up some stupid dog drawing I've been trying to work on, it's bringing me down and I need a break from it, so post photos of your pet/s (non-birds are okay if you really want, just a nice and or interesting image) for me to copy into a drawing or painting

The catch: you have to be cool with me posting it online whenever I finally bother getting a gallery, I'll do it in whatever size/medium I feel like, and I'm poor so if you want the original you may have to wait a bit for it to be shipped out

I don't know if this is high quality enough but I always have a bird photo to share :)

My little Sammy nibbler

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Max the moluccan loves watching this fellow cockatoo named Misha, who has his own theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRXcKW1DagI

"I'm a Misha! I'm a good bird! I'm your sugar! I'm a good girl!" It's so catchy that he convinces a goffin's cockatoo to dance to it.

He also really, really likes cheeseburgers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMzFHnJAZKw
Oh my god, these are amazing. That last video is the happiest cockatoo ever

EDIT Ugh Shirec you have both a cool bird and nice fingernails and I hate you :argh:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Tendai posted:

"Uh... hey buddy... I brought you this..." :3: drat I wish I knew someone who owned a cockatoo I could go visit and play with and cuddle with and give back when they start acting like a jerk parrot.

Less a timid bump, more forceful thwacking against my leg until I paid attention. Next step would have been an eventual mounting of the couch so he could pop me in the face with it.

It's funny, most people are scared to be anywhere near his business end, but he's just so excited to be your friend:

(I know how he looks; between the super dry climate, his plucking scars, and assorted stages of molt, he tends to look a bit... disheveled)

Battle Pigeon posted:

Tug of war, wrestling, a little fetch, beak bumps, kisses, a handful of nuts, and many scritches were had immediately after that photo was posted. Sleepy birb now.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Suntan Boy posted:

Less a timid bump, more forceful thwacking against my leg until I paid attention. Next step would have been an eventual mounting of the couch so he could pop me in the face with it.

It's funny, most people are scared to be anywhere near his business end, but he's just so excited to be your friend:

(I know how he looks; between the super dry climate, his plucking scars, and assorted stages of molt, he tends to look a bit... disheveled)

Tug of war, wrestling, a little fetch, beak bumps, kisses, a handful of nuts, and many scritches were had immediately after that photo was posted. Sleepy birb now.
I've always seen cockatoos as seeming really excited and happy rather than scary. To the detriment of my fingers a couple times :saddowns:

What a cute fuckin' whitebirb :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suntan Boy posted:

Haha those ACUs are going to be completely unsuitable for duty wear after old man dustbag gets through with them

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Here are a bunch of ginormous phone photos I just took of my dumb bird. In the first one he is figuring out what I'm up to. In all the other ones I got lucky hitting the camera button while he was busy bobbing, shuffling, stretching and basically doing everything I need a bird I am taking pictures of not to do.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

In the first one he is figuring out what I'm up to. In all the other ones I got lucky hitting the camera button while he was busy bobbing, shuffling, stretching and basically doing everything I need a bird I am taking pictures of not to do.

Plushie Amadeus is always happy to pose for photo references. :haw:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always expect conures to be bigger than they are so when I see them on a hand there's this jarring "whoa, small" moment :doh:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Tendai posted:

EDIT Ugh Shirec you have both a cool bird and nice fingernails and I hate you :argh:

Why thank you :bigtran:
Loving all the cockatoo videos, they are the cheeriest

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I forgot to post this, but we've got a fruit fly trap on top of Scuttle's cage (apple cider vinegar in a mason jar with a bag etc.) and I spilled it the other night, probably on him too. Couldn't tell for sure, but his boing was thoroughly soaked. When I tried to remove the boing, I realized that he had taken the fleece strip toy we made for him and intertwined the fleece into the fibers of the boing so tightly that I had to get scissors and cut it free. He's now known as our little knitter :3: Also starting to think that his feathers aren't coming back in. With the amount of work he puts in attaching things to his boing, he doesn't have time to pluck.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here are a bunch of ginormous phone photos I just took of my dumb bird. In the first one he is figuring out what I'm up to. In all the other ones I got lucky hitting the camera button while he was busy bobbing, shuffling, stretching and basically doing everything I need a bird I am taking pictures of not to do.

Thanks-he looks so tiny compared to Ohtori! Or even the cockatiel.

Suntan Boy posted:

He looks really psyched up in the happy/excited way there :3:

Shirec posted:

I don't know if this is high quality enough but I always have a bird photo to share :)

My little Sammy nibbler

Speedpaint http://i.imgur.com/5KotwkK.jpg

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I forgot to post this, but we've got a fruit fly trap on top of Scuttle's cage (apple cider vinegar in a mason jar with a bag etc.) and I spilled it the other night, probably on him too. Couldn't tell for sure, but his boing was thoroughly soaked. When I tried to remove the boing, I realized that he had taken the fleece strip toy we made for him and intertwined the fleece into the fibers of the boing so tightly that I had to get scissors and cut it free. He's now known as our little knitter :3: Also starting to think that his feathers aren't coming back in. With the amount of work he puts in attaching things to his boing, he doesn't have time to pluck.

Any photos of the boing contraption he made? Is he any more used to you guys yet?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thanks-he looks so tiny compared to Ohtori! Or even the cockatiel.

He's small, even for a GCC. teeny birb.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:
This is amazing!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Just chilling with my home skillet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy loving poo poo, what?!?

Mirthless posted:

How is skillet adapting? S/he seemed pretty chill around you the last time you posted pictures, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My dad was out in the garden on one of his days off and suddenly a small naked birb plops in front of him. He looks up and there is a sparrow nest in the rafters. He gets his ladder and picks the baby bird up and puts it back... and the parents kick it out (again, I guess). So he picks up the birb and puts it in his pocket and takes it inside to make up a fresh batch of Insectivore. The birb is very hungry and eats happily and even survives the night (she got a towel to sleep in and got to stay in the room with the heater if I recall correctly). Eventually it got its baby feathers and grew strong and healthy, and we named it Arnie (Arne was apparently old Germanic for eagle or something also it is a tough name for a birb). When she got her adult feathers she turned out to be a girl (sparrows have very distinct patterns for boys and girls) but she got to keep her name. When she was growing up my brother and I were coming home from school during lunch breaks to give her a feed :kimchi:

She grew up to be a very spoilt tame sparrow who liked my dad and was viciously territorial of him. She liked burrowing into his beard hair and also converted the kitchen handtowel into a sparrow towel (she refused to use a bird cage or a bird nest). One time she escaped when a relative was over and didn't know to shut the screen door (flies also got into the house :negative:) and reportedly flew into a neighbour's house, landed on their table, and started helping herself to their dinner. They caught her and, noticing her leg ring, put a notice on the town notice board saying they'd found a "Small Brown Canary". Another time she landed on a different neighbour's cat. Her favourite game when she got out was to find parrots and bite their tails.

Growing up with that bird must have been awesome. Wild animals that bond to a human and then live happy lives warm my heart. He does look to hysterically disheveled.

Someone mentioned marrying someone for their bird earlier - I have no plans to own anything more complicated than a cockatiel until I'm either married or old. I wish there was a dating forum for bird owners because it's a special kind of strange to deal with birds.

But it's also a super hot quality to know a potential partner is down with the bird life.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

Look at that handsome boy and his striped pants :3: That second picture where he's all spherical is fabulous.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Public Service Announcement: This is a thing that exists.

http://www.amazon.com/Cockatiel-2X-Large-Charcoal-Heather-Graphic/dp/B015I8CO4S/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why is this not on my body right now???

Gonna order one next week :3: