Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Am I the only one to think that Itkovian is a really bland character? He never really did much for me and I'm not sure why there was so much focus on him.

I'm right there with you. Then the whole thing later in the series where he is a god and someone needs to defend him and that guy gets hurt and ugggh. I felt nothing for any of those characters even on rereads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'm right there with you. Then the whole thing later in the series where he is a god and someone needs to defend him and that guy gets hurt and ugggh. I felt nothing for any of those characters even on rereads.
I liked Itkovian but that part was dumb

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Most of TtH is dumb. Any part of it that doesn't deal with the Andii or Kallor, really.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Am I the only one to think that Itkovian is a really bland character? He never really did much for me and I'm not sure why there was so much focus on him.
Itkovian's role in MoI was mostly to introduce the concept of shield anvils without 10 pages of exposition, the same way Gruntle is used to show what a mortal sword is.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Itkovian owns and was basically the character that distinguished Erikson and the series from other dark fantasy early on.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Illinois Smith posted:

Itkovian's role in MoI was mostly to introduce the concept of shield anvils without 10 pages of exposition, the same way Gruntle is used to show what a mortal sword is.

Yeah but Gruntle was entertaining and an interesting character that did more than just introduce a concept. We had plenty of other characters with survivors guilt, plenty of characters giving up on their gods, and we had plenty of other shield anvils, and they all had other characteristics.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Yeah but Gruntle was entertaining and an interesting character that did more than just introduce a concept. We had plenty of other characters with survivors guilt, plenty of characters giving up on their gods, and we had plenty of other shield anvils, and they all had other characteristics.

Funny thing, Gruntle is basically the classic reluctant hero and while he have some cool scenes, he is really not that complicated.
I also enjoy the fact that you don't seem to realize that people can have different favorite characters. Personal taste etc.....

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the way Gruntle turns out at the finale in TCG. Take that, gods.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
itkovian owns just because he upsets silverfox so much

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Edit: ^^^^^ This is a stance I can get behind.

Cardiac posted:

Funny thing, Gruntle is basically the classic reluctant hero and while he have some cool scenes, he is really not that complicated.
I also enjoy the fact that you don't seem to realize that people can have different favorite characters. Personal taste etc.....

I also enjoy the fact that you don't seem to realize that I'm not an idiot. I understand taste is subjective, my original comment was acknowledging the fact that my stance was a minority one. I was hoping to get some insight why most people seem to enjoy a character that wasn't all that interesting to me, and see if anyone else shared my viewpoint. The only thing I seem to hear about Itkovian is people singing his praises and I was wondering if there was some other read on him that I was missing that could lead to me appreciating him more.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Itkovian is a Christlike figure who we spend a lot of time with in the first person and is involved with one of the most horrific battles in the series. It's pretty understandable how he's so popular.

TtH sorta ruined him for me though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

acumen posted:

TtH sorta ruined him for me though.

Same here :sigh:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My favorite character was, and always will be, Karsa Orlong.

Wasn't Erikson going to make a trilogy about Karsa? Is that coming after the Anomander trilogy?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Daric posted:

My favorite character was, and always will be, Karsa Orlong.

Is it terrible that mine has always been Toc? #2 would probably be Fiddler. After that, Karsa.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Daric posted:

Wasn't Erikson going to make a trilogy about Karsa? Is that coming after the Anomander trilogy?
WHAT gently caress HOW IS THIS NOT A THING I CAN READ YET

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I've always been a huge Fiddler fan. But Hedge, Tehol & Bugg, QB & Kalam, Karsa, Iron Bars, all great options.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I've always been a huge Fiddler fan. But Hedge, Tehol & Bugg, QB & Kalam, Karsa, Iron Bars, all great options.

I could read about Tehol & Bugg all day :allears:

In fact I miss the times when I did get to read about Tehol & Bugg all day... although it's still not as good as Toc & Tool.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Fenrir posted:

I could read about Tehol & Bugg all day :allears:

Tehol and Bugg are definitely the most amusing pair so far. As amusing as Kruppe and Iskral Pust are, Tehol and Bugg have them beat.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Can't wait to read the Iron Bars trilogy so I can finally learn why they call him Iron Bars.

actually it's just because he has a big ol' dick

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably the only one but my favorite character is by far Udinaas. Followed by Kallor.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

I'm probably the only one but my favorite character is by far Udinaas. Followed by Kallor.

Udinaas I can kinda get behind. He's probably somewhere in my top 10, but... Kallor??

I guess there's a lot more to him I just haven't gotten to yet (I'm about 900 pages into TtH, so about 2/3rds of the way through, this paperback is like nearly 1300)

e: also, Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God have shipped :woop:
It's nice having a better job, I can afford stuff like, books.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 3, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you're about to find out why people like kallor

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I actually liked him even in MoI. Fairly sure the whole "burn down my empire killing every single being in it" just from spiteful arrogance is the most badass act in the entire series. Gotta appreciate a good villain.
But yeah, he gets his humanizing moment in TtH. And that's after you realize he even got screwed from being the King In Chains by some ICE fop with a fraction of his character.

e: Sorry. Still, kinda funny you chew me out for not spoilertagging and then quote the post. You might want to fix that.
Also, Whiskeyjack is a really overrated character IMO. We keep being told how awesome he is but never really see him do anything deserving that reputation.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 3, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
e: quote destroyed because spoilers, and I'm dumb

Ugh please tag your spoilers. But I do have to admit he was a good villain. I just hate him because (MoI) He loving killed Whiskeyjack

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 3, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Fenrir posted:

Ugh please tag your spoilers. But I do have to admit he was a good villain. I just hate him because (MoI) He loving killed Whiskeyjack

Good. That character was overrated.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tommofork posted:

Good. That character was overrated.

Huh. I never felt that way. He was (GotM-MoI) only in two books as opposed to many others who have been around for much more, and the way Erikson writes it often takes 2+ books to develop a character fully - Fiddler is a good example of this. He was about as well developed as anyone else at that point, and well done at that. Granted, his defining moment was slaughtering the insane women who tried to take children of the dead seed just to save them from Dragnipur but drat, still. I thought he was a great character. Even Anomander Rake was nearly brought to tears by that.

(HoC-TtH)Karsa is an even better example, he grows throughout the series and while you kinda "get" him in HoC, he is still showing you new facets of himself even in TtH... and hell, the Karsa chapters are the best parts of this drat book so far

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 3, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fenrir posted:

Huh. I never felt that way.

It's ok I was just yanking your chain.

quote:

He was (GotM-MoI) only in two books as opposed to many others who have been around for much more, and the way Erikson writes it often takes 2+ books to develop a character fully - Fiddler is a good example of this. He was about as well developed as anyone else at that point, and well done at that. Granted, his defining moment was slaughtering the insane women who tried to take children of the dead seed just to save them from Dragnipur but drat, still. I thought he was a great character. Even Anomander Rake was nearly brought to tears by that.

(HoC-TtH)Karsa is an even better example, he grows throughout the series and while you kinda "get" him in HoC, he is still showing you new facets of himself even in TtH... and hell, the Karsa chapters are the best parts of this drat book so far

It's not that I think he's a bad character, he's just not as interesting as others. GotM-MoI spoilers He just sticks out like a sore thumb in that he's smart, compassionate, honorable, a tactical and strategic genius, loved by his soldiers, an incredibly skilled swordsman and also wins the heart of a Tiste Andii and wins gets respect from and becomes best buds with Anomander in the space of a book. If he has flaws, they aren't visible. WJ is pretty much a mary sue and set up to be killed to make you have a feeling and it falls really flat, at least to me it did, in comparison to the Bridgeburners getting gutted in Coral, Gruntle and Itkovian during and after Capustan or just the siege of Capustan itself.

TtH spoilers while I love Karsa now, and I hated him when I first started HoC but liked him more on the re-read when I got that Erikson was writing him as a know it all rear end in a top hat on purpose so Karsa could be punched repeatedly in the face by reality, when I re-read TtHs I actually started liking Kallor a hell of a lot because he is an interesting character. He comes across as very one dimensional in MoI and others, but in TtHs he is developed a lot. Also the reason you're seeing Karsa develop new facets is because he has been developing new facets. Keep in mind in Teblor years he's basically young twenties, and his experiences really left a mark on him.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. That's a fair point about (the first 8 books basically) Whiskeyjack. He is kind of too perfect, and maybe that was the point. Maybe he was built up to die. I agree with you that it wasn't the tragic event that a lot of things were. For example, the deaths of Beak, Toc and ESPECIALLY Trull Sengar were so much more resonant to me. Trull... loving hell :smith: I still get sad thinking about that. It was the first time in over a decade a book has made me cry. That was a gut punch with a handful of knives.

Also, that's kinda what I was getting at with Karsa - you get to see him grow up and learn how the world works, and he's become one of my very favorite characters because of that. That was actually pretty apparent to me even on the first read. I just always felt like he was a child in many ways and should be expected to act like one.

Jeez, this page is starting to look like a NSA document. Anyways, at my (very slow) reading speed, which is slower than most snails and sloths, I should manage to finish the series this year. At least, I hope so. I finally got some money together to order DoD and TCG (hell, my fiancee bought me TtH or I wouldn't even have that) and they'll be here soon. I can't wait.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 3, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fenrir posted:

Hmm. That's a fair point about (the first 8 books basically) Whiskeyjack. He is kind of too perfect, and maybe that was the point. Maybe he was built up to die. I agree with you that it wasn't the tragic event that a lot of things were. For example, the deaths of Beak, Toc and ESPECIALLY Trull Sengar were so much more resonant to me. Trull... loving hell :smith: I still get sad thinking about that. It was the first time in over a decade a book has made me cry. That was a gut punch with a handful of knives.

Also, that's kinda what I was getting at with Karsa - you get to see him grow up and learn how the world works, and he's become one of my very favorite characters because of that. That was actually pretty apparent to me even on the first read. I just always felt like he was a child in many ways and should be expected to act like one.

I kinda missed it on the first read through. I don't know if I actually missed it or just forgot with time, but my memory of Karsa from my first read was very different to what I ended up with from the second read of HoC. Not much else to say except I agree with the other bits having a lot more impact. Like I can understand how the characters in the story were devastated, but as a reader I was like uhm yeah ok move on please. Moving back to MoI spoiler chat, it was more shocking that Kallor went balls out with his betrayal trying to murder Silverfox than WJ dying. I was expecting something subtle. Probably the reason I like WJ despite him likely being someone's character when Erikson and Co were playing Malazan GURPS, was the way he just didn't take any poo poo at all from Kallor, going so far as to backhand a man that's lived for ages, ruled and burned continents to spite his enemies, and wasn't hiding behind Caladan Brood to do it. Also I probably like Kallor because he's trying to muder Silverfox, which is a sentiment I can get behind.

Fenrir posted:

Jeez, this page is starting to look like a NSA document. Anyways, at my (very slow) reading speed, which is slower than most snails and sloths, I should manage to finish the series this year. At least, I hope so. I finally got some money together to order DoD and TCG (hell, my fiancee bought me TtH or I wouldn't even have that) and they'll be here soon. I can't wait.

The first rule of Malazan fight club is don't spoil anything so the Erikson can sucker punch newbies for days.

Also I read the series about 5 years ago, had tried re-reading but never got past the first few books, but started re-read a few months ago and now I'm stalled on TCG because I'm busy and distracted again. I really should finish it before I forget everything and have to restart :v:. Having said that, I'm super excited to read the new books about the Tiste civil war and break new ground so I can understand the feeling!

e: instead of bitching about stalling out I actually read a chapter. :feelsgood:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 3, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tommofork posted:

e: instead of bitching about stalling out I actually read a chapter. :feelsgood:

Hell yeah.

I can't wait for TCG with all the buildup that's gone on so far. Page 947 of TtH right now.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tommofork posted:

It's not that I think he's a bad character, he's just not as interesting as others. GotM-MoI spoilers He just sticks out like a sore thumb in that he's smart, compassionate, honorable, a tactical and strategic genius, loved by his soldiers, an incredibly skilled swordsman and also wins the heart of a Tiste Andii and wins gets respect from and becomes best buds with Anomander in the space of a book.

Only the last bit of that is true, though. Everything else happens before the series starts and we are just clued into it by GotM/MoI. And in sum total, he's little different from a character like Fiddler, in that both are geniuses (in their respectice fields) and also both are genuinely good people. And while both have a certain consequent Mary Sue-ness about them, they've also both led hard lives, both have skeletons overrunning their closets, and both dug their way to the top of the poo poo less through personal acts of heroism and nobility, and mostly through dumb luck. They are both complex characters despite their superficial blandness.

And yeah gently caress Kallor for killing WJ. :argh:

e: \/\/\/ ugh, my bad, got carried away

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 3, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Dude please spoiler tag that last line there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

itkovian owns just because he upsets silverfox so much

Itkovian owns because he is not yet done.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Habibi posted:

I don't agree with that spoilered bit at all, or at least to the extent that there's plenty of great stuff in the main series that's not critical for understanding or enjoyment of the series, either, but as with FoD, tremendously impacts both of those things.

I should clarify that I think FoD really is great, but if we're talking about "payoff" for the Andii flashbacks and history in the main series specifically we're being disingenuous, because those callbacks are fairly shallow (and rightfully so, or else FoD would become EU-level filler) and there's very little to learn from the minutiae of Tiste society that wasn't already stated or implied in those books. Eriksson does a really good job introducing characters and plotlines past filling in around the snippets of Sandalath's rantings, Rake/Endest Silann's memories, Yedan Derryg's horseshit, the falseness of the Tiste creation myth, etc and that stuff is a lot more interesting, in my mind.

I certainly wouldn't recommend FoD on the basis of redeeming those aspects of the main series, but I'd recommend the poo poo out of it for being compelling on its own merit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jedit posted:

Itkovian owns because he is not yet done.

Neitrhers my dick

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Neitrhers my dick

In the original draft his name was 'Dicktovian.'

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Habibi posted:

In the original draft his name was 'Dicktovian.'
I have not yet cummed

*takes on the pain, sweat, rubbings, pokings, proddings etc of 10000 angry cavemen*

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Tommofork posted:

It's not that I think he's a bad character, he's just not as interesting as others. GotM-MoI spoilers He just sticks out like a sore thumb in that he's smart, compassionate, honorable, a tactical and strategic genius, loved by his soldiers, an incredibly skilled swordsman and also wins the heart of a Tiste Andii and wins gets respect from and becomes best buds with Anomander in the space of a book. If he has flaws, they aren't visible. WJ is pretty much a mary sue and set up to be killed to make you have a feeling and it falls really flat, at least to me it did, in comparison to the Bridgeburners getting gutted in Coral, Gruntle and Itkovian during and after Capustan or just the siege of Capustan itself.

The problem with Whiskeyjack is that you don't see him grow, you only see him after he's reached the end of his development. It's like if Karsa didn't appear before Lether.

Also did Whiskeyjack not let Mallet heal him because he was cursed by Hood for some reason? I remember something being mentioned about him and Fiddler, I think, preventing his sister being taken by Hood's priest?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

mornhaven posted:

The problem with Whiskeyjack is that you don't see him grow, you only see him after he's reached the end of his development. It's like if Karsa didn't appear before Lether.

Also did Whiskeyjack not let Mallet heal him because he was cursed by Hood for some reason? I remember something being mentioned about him and Fiddler, I think, preventing his sister being taken by Hood's priest?

I get your first point and thought about acknowledging it in my post but chose not to because it's still laid on thick about how noble and good he is.

With regard to the second part, it was WJ´s half sister, who is Dunsparrow in BH. She was given to Hood's temple, but WJ and Fiddler took her back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I forgot to mention, also with regard to the second part:

Someone in the story claimed that Hood had come to regret taking such a personal interest in WJ's death, which if true meant that Hood was able to influence WJ to refuse healing somehow. I think it was Raest who made the claim while he was going around being Herald of Death but I am 50% sure on that. I don't think Raest is a reliable source.

Maybe Hood was still pissed about WJ & Fiddler stealing Dunsparrow back from the temple and was getting a measure of revenge, but given WJ & Fiddler have been in approximately a million deadly scrapes and survived I'm inclined not to believe that. Or Hood can actually read into the future to a degree, which makes sense given he knows when to turn up to collect a soul, and saw an opportunity to gently caress not only with WJ but his beloved Bridgeburners, by getting WJ killed right when they needed all the support they could get. But then why does Hood not gently caress with Fiddler?