Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Oh, partly, yes, you're right. I just looked. The bodies of The Pain, The End and The Fury were procured, and the parasites extracted from them. The Fury's fed off his anger, letting him burst into flames at the end of his fight, and that parasite was apparently moved to the comatose body of the very angry and very vengeful Volgin (this part isn't actually stated directly in the game), which turned him into the Man on Fire. Code Talker himself took The End's parasite, and I'd assume The Pain's was too stupid for anybody to use.

The Fury is mostly just an angry cosmonaut with a flamethrower, though.
I'd heard about the Cobras being explained with the parasite stuff and I was really wary that it was Nanomachines all over again, but instead of spoiling them retroactively the whole thing was so wonderfully stupid that it made it even better. I think Code Talker even says that he couldn't get close to The Pain because he got attacked by bees :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, Volgin's powers are one of the few that's never really explained. In Phantom Pain he's both alive and on fire because he's JUST THAT loving ANGRY; Mantis being at his side helps, but Mantis was just reacting to Volgin's insane levels of rage that caused him to reanimate and ignite in the first place. While they never mention it, the Man on Fire's origins also serve to explain The Fury from MGS3.

I thought I remembered them mentioning a breed of parasite that stored and discharged electricity, I could be wrong though. Anyway he was never actually reanimated. He was in a coma after MGS3, allowing Mantis to sense his coma rage and telekineticly move him around and burn stuff with pyrokinesis.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'd heard about the Cobras being explained with the parasite stuff and I was really wary that it was Nanomachines all over again, but instead of spoiling them retroactively the whole thing was so wonderfully stupid that it made it even better. I think Code Talker even says that he couldn't get close to The Pain because he got attacked by bees :allears:

I gotta replay those tapes I must have done them in the middle of a mission and missed the details about the Fury and Volgin.

I think V does tailing objectives well, in that they're optional and aren't plot critical so you don't miss anything if you pass them but the conversations between characters foreshadow later events or give small bits of humor and drama to this virtual people.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Action Tortoise posted:

I think V does tailing objectives well, in that they're optional and aren't plot critical so you don't miss anything if you pass them but the conversations between characters foreshadow later events or give small bits of humor and drama to this virtual people.

Design-wise sure, but the scripting is really broken on them.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Design-wise sure, but the scripting is really broken on them.

Do you like anything?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lady Naga's only posts in this thread are about how they don't like the games being posted about lol

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I actually mentioned a ton of things I liked about MGS 5, but that doesn't mean that the game is perfect and I shouldn't be allowed to post about things that don't work about it.

Like I even specifically prefaced my complaint with the fact that I enjoy the little banter, it's just a shame that you have to tail them really close because otherwise the conversations never play, even if your parabolic mic can pick them up. I love MGS 5 but it has a lot of flaws and I don't think it's fair to present an image of the game being this perfect sandbox of lots of little things to love without also mentioning the bad stuff.

Lady Naga has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Oct 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

I actually mentioned a ton of things I liked about MGS 5, but that doesn't mean that the game is perfect and I shouldn't be allowed to post about things that don't work about it.

Like I even specifically prefaced my complaint with the fact that I enjoy the little banter, it's just a shame that you have to tail them really close because otherwise the conversations never play, even if your parabolic mic can pick them up. I love MGS 5 but it has a lot of flaws and I don't think it's fair to present an image of the game being this perfect sandbox of lots of little things to love without also mentioning the bad stuff.

That's... a really odd thing to say in the thread about posting little things you love in video games, especially when there is a sibling thread specifically dedicated to talking about the bad stuff. Nobody is presenting the image of any game as perfect, they're literally discussing the thread subject, little things they like in the game.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

That's... a really odd thing to say in the thread about posting little things you love in video games, especially when there is a sibling thread specifically dedicated to talking about the bad stuff. Nobody is presenting the image of any game as perfect, they're literally discussing the thread subject, little things they like in the game.

That doesn't mean that discussion shouldn't occur just because someone Likes A Thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

That doesn't mean that discussion shouldn't occur just because someone Likes A Thing.

It is just an odd place for it when there's no fewer than five threads having discussions about MGSV's flaws at any given time, including one in this subforum.

Saying that it 'isn't fair' to discuss the little things in games without discussing the flaws is just sort of confusing.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
It's like having a thread called "what's your favorite food" and someone coming in and saying "well actually a lot of food is bad for you and has high cholesterol".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To get back on topic:

The new Transformers game is effectively Bayoformers with slightly customizable characters. Most of the characters turn into vehicles. One turns into a dinosaur and so instead of being able to drive around he has to mash buttons to waddle as fast as he can.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Played through MGSV: Ground Zeroes last night (it's free on XBLive) and I gotta say I really have lost touch with how to play those games. Maybe it's just because I haven't played them in forever but I seriously sucked out loud at sneaking around.

That said, there was a part where I was taking hostages to put them on a helicopter and this guy kept waking up (after I tranqed him) and screwing things up for me. So I tossed him off a cliff.

I'd forgotten how much fun that was. I'm going to play through it again tonight and try to eventually 100% it, and then get Phantom Pain

e: I also like the little in-game achievements like longest head shot but my favorite has to be "Longest distance body thrown" or something like that. Its the one that tracks how far a body flies after you shoot it or have something explode near it. I nailed a guy with the tank gun and he went flying. I cant remember the exact number but it told me I broke the previous record. Is that my personal record or a pre-set one within the game?

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Oct 9, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Lady Naga's only posts in this thread are about how they don't like the games being posted about lol

First off, no.

Lady Naga posted:

Kojima is pretty smart about recognizing players' first instincts. The second thing I did on Mother Base (besides tranq'ing Ocelot) was try to throw one of my own dudes into the sea and I got a really emasculating game over from it ("Maybe you're not the Big Boss we were hoping for.")

Lady Naga posted:

Hitting a telephone pole with a jeep normally does nothing, but if it's raining out and you're wet, the cords will shock you to death :allears:

But she is really argumentative about poo poo and I will not contest that. And also kinda bad at the whole 'post things in games that you like' here in this thread thing.

[Content] Transformers: Devastation is in fact actually good and somewhere in the rank of 'Better than Korra, maybe not as good as Metal Gear Rising. Turning into a car is a part of your combos and if you turn into a car and gain enough speed you do a dropkick. Which is really what Transformers needed. I've only seen some of the intro though so I don't know if any of the characters can do a Stone Cold Stunner or not.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
All I know is that Bumblebee is pretty much Ryu, complete with Dragon Punch and Hurricane Kick.

And that is rad as gently caress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pulp rag posted:

All I know is that Bumblebee is pretty much Ryu, complete with Dragon Punch and Hurricane Kick.

And that is rad as gently caress.

There's also a Constructicon that does the Bruce Lee thing- I don't know what it's called, loose legs, fancy feet- when he's backing away from you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ImpAtom posted:

To get back on topic:

The new Transformers game is effectively Bayoformers with slightly customizable characters. Most of the characters turn into vehicles. One turns into a dinosaur and so instead of being able to drive around he has to mash buttons to waddle as fast as he can.

Tell me more, I want this game so bad but I can't justify spending more cash on toys right now. It looks super fun though.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Tell me more, I want this game so bad but I can't justify spending more cash on toys right now. It looks super fun though.

Transformers: Devastation is rad as gently caress. All of the (living) Generation 1 voice cast are back, rocking the poo poo like it's 1984 all over again. Combat is pure Platinum fun, full of crazy combos that have you transforming between robot and vehicle form mid-combo. If you like brawlers, and/or are a fan of the original series, I highly recommend it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

First off, no.

Was this really a worthwhile use of your time?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Was this really a worthwhile use of your time?

All that time I could've better put to use posting on this forum? poo poo, what have I done, I've wasted those 50 seconds of my life! I'm past my prime now!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Transformers: Devastation is rad as gently caress. All of the (living) Generation 1 voice cast are back, rocking the poo poo like it's 1984 all over again. Combat is pure Platinum fun, full of crazy combos that have you transforming between robot and vehicle form mid-combo. If you like brawlers, and/or are a fan of the original series, I highly recommend it.

How about if you like Platinum but couldn't care less about Transformers? Do you think it would hold up?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

How about if you like Platinum but couldn't care less about Transformers? Do you think it would hold up?

If nothing else it looks really nice. I like the visuals they went with.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

The Moon Monster posted:

The robits have Witch Time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't give much of a drat about Transfomers and still found it fun. It's a more budget title for sure but still good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't know what they would substitute the vehicle attacks for but you could probably swap in any character instead of Transformers and it'd still work. Street Fighter, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, etc.

Another thing about Transformers Devastation I like is that on occasion you'll fight with Optimus or Bumblebee as allies and they'll actually be in the fight actually doing poo poo. It's kind of nice to see them actually fighting two or three robots while you're doing the same.

But anyway, the best I can suggest is for you to take a look at some of the gameplay for it and see if it works for you or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyL6flPbCw

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This looks incredible. Please tell me this is out on PC so I can beat poo poo up as a car.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Got released on Steam like... Monday, I wanna say?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

This looks incredible. Please tell me this is out on PC so I can beat poo poo up as a car.

You got it. The port seems rock-solid, too, from what I've heard. Platinum seems to have learned a thing or two from the success of Revengeance.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Devestation is fun and has a few things going on that I haven't seen in a Platinum game before. Unfortunately never played Bayo or W101 though so maybe I just missed it.

You get Diablo-esque loot drops for melee and ranged weapons and there's an equipment fusion system where you can feed equipment to better equipment to level it up and overwrite buffs and poo poo.

There's also a little lab mini game where you bet 1k or 5k currency and have to hit the button to stop a moving line in the right place. The better the spot you stop it (they're color coded), the better the accessory you get. Wheeljack gets audibly excited when you do well because he is a cool lab bro.

There's also a level up system and you can money dump directly into exp for specific stats if you want and there are moves to purchase.

My only minor complaints are:
The buttrock is there but so far no lyrics like in MGR
Level design isn't super interesting
You unlock Grimlock last and I really want to play as him

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I think so, yeah. At base, it's very similar to Bayonetta/MGR:R, but with some fun vehicle-related stuff added in to make it more Transformer-y, like transforming mid-combo, or using your vehicle mode to go fast enough to smash enemy shields. Plus, like Arstan said, the robots have freaking Witch Time.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
MGSV punching dudes in the face and them saluting and thanking me for it. Never gets old.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

MGSV punching dudes in the face and them saluting and thanking me for it. Never gets old.

Was more fun as Raikov in 3. They were just so scared.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Thin Privilege posted:

Shoot them in the face with the water pistol and then make it look like they pissed their pants

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Is there anything else the water pistol is good for, spraying Quiet or something? Have not tried it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Is there anything else the water pistol is good for, spraying Quiet or something? Have not tried it.

It breaks electronics without an explosion.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
it puts out the oil drum fires outposts have at night as well

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

If you hit a skull with it, they'll do the weird shoulder shake Quiet does. It also works against Man on Fire, sort of.

You can also spray it in people's faces, and it'll disrupt them enough that you can then hold them up.

TGLT has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Oct 10, 2015

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Joey Freshwater posted:

That said, there was a part where I was taking hostages to put them on a helicopter and this guy kept waking up (after I tranqed him) and screwing things up for me. So I tossed him off a cliff.

And then in Phantom Pain, you get to keep the people you put on the helicopter in Ground Zeroes.

Except Paz and Chico, of course. :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Technocrat posted:

And then in Phantom Pain, you get to keep the people you put on the helicopter in Ground Zeroes.

Except Paz and Chico, of course. :(

You get to keep Paz and Chico. In your heart. And your skull. They're with you, always, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Undertale: There is a puzzle room involving lilies that you use to make a bridge. There is an inaccessible sign that you can bridge to, and if you do it the sign says congratulations, you failed the puzzle!