Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Jeeves, fetch me my millet. I wish to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
As I'm English may I recommend bungle and George. They were puppets on a 1980s children's TV show called playschool :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

As I'm English may I recommend bungle and George. They were puppets on a 1980s children's TV show called playschool :)
I know nothing about the show but the idea of a budgie named Bungle tickles me :3: So yes, this.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Haha Bungle made me laugh out loud. So far that's option 1

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I messed up it was Rainbow. The following was a special version done for a internal BBC Christmas video tape which was leaked to the Internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgbcQIT7BMc

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

learnincurve posted:

Dougal and Zebedee/Brian/Dylan

Bungle and George/Zippy

Or name them after whatever womble fits their personalities best

As long as the names are as English as possible :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bungle and Zippy :3:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Tendai posted:

The first cockatiel my family ever got would do that too, like he was just staring at his own feet for his own weird bird reasons.

I think it resets their brains, they need that sometimes :3:

Battle Pigeon posted:

1) Someone or something pet me
2) woah look toes woah
3) *TV static sounds*

The best thing about it is that Boop is a Green Cheek.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sekkira posted:

The best thing about it is that Boop is a Green Cheek.

I know-Ohtori does it too, and Inko physically can't but he probably would too

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Free English poofballs?? You got the deal of the decade that will pay YOU with years of burbling and chattering.

Mine are currently yelling at the chickadees in the bush outside.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Wife votes Bungle and Zippy. So the Blue one is Zippy, and the Green one is Bungle :3:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Aw, was going to suggest Lister and Rimmer.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

I showed this precious baby to my partner and he said "the eagle has landed"

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Here is a sun conure I met at petco today as well. He's easily far and away the happiest bird I've ever seen in there.
http://imgur.com/OD8ywZY

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

anotherblownsave posted:

Here is a sun conure I met at petco today as well. He's easily far and away the happiest bird I've ever seen in there.
http://imgur.com/OD8ywZY

Aww! He has like.. actual toys to play with and stuff. :gbsmith:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Wife votes Bungle and Zippy. So the Blue one is Zippy, and the Green one is Bungle :3:
:toot: :dance: :woop:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I showed this precious baby to my partner and he said "the eagle has landed"
He looks so proud of himself :3:

...the bird, not your partner. That would be creepy if I knew that.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CssrRcn-wTc

Anyone else's bird do this? We very rarely let them drink from our glasses (and then only when we're drinking water), so Simon has this thing where he licks the bottom of empty glasses, probably just as some misguided "gently caress you, I'm doing the thing." Or maybe he just likes how glass tastes?

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Has anyone ever fed "Versele-Laga" brand seeds? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/bird_food/parakeet/versele_laga/206852

I don't have a regular type seed mix I use for my budgies so I usually just pick up whatever is pre-sealed at the pet store.

When I got home and googled what I had bought, one of the first results was "BUDGIE DEAD AFTER FEEDING Versele-Laga BRAND SEEDS!" So I am sort of.. concerned. The bird owner didn't mention much other than "the only thing that I changed was feeding this diet to and my bird, and then it died." And I understand how delicate birds are, so it's hard to say why their bird really died.

I opened the bag and smelled it, and it doesn't smell off per se, but the mixture does definitely have a weird.. fruity chemically smell? The brand is made in Belgium, so I figured it would be a good brand? (I don't know).

It was only a $9.00 bag of seed mix so I won't be out too much if I should buy another. Does anyone have any good seed recommendations? My budgies only get 1 spoonful of seeds each per day, and it probably doesn't matter if the mix is mostly millet I guess.

They have unlimited ZuPreem pellets all day, and for dinner they get fed fruit, veggies, egg, quinoa, and Harrisons brand mash.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wrecking Ball posted:

It was only a $9.00 bag of seed mix so I won't be out too much if I should buy another. Does anyone have any good seed recommendations? My budgies only get 1 spoonful of seeds each per day, and it probably doesn't matter if the mix is mostly millet I guess.
I've always used the Drs Foster & Smith blend for cockatiels and it's been great, I'd assume their budgie mix is probably good too. The one time I had insects in a bag in the ~13 years I've ordered from them, they replaced it immediately at their cost which was cool.

EDIT: Here's the budgie seed, about $10 for a 5 lb bag

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5911+5913+29713&pcatid=29713

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

schnickety scribe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CssrRcn-wTc

Anyone else's bird do this? We very rarely let them drink from our glasses (and then only when we're drinking water), so Simon has this thing where he licks the bottom of empty glasses, probably just as some misguided "gently caress you, I'm doing the thing." Or maybe he just likes how glass tastes?

Maybe he's just having fun? :3: My bird doesn't dive into glasses (not nearly graceful enough) but she does like to play in the cabinets and awkwardly climb around. I couldn't find the pictures of her in the cabinet, but have a doof playing around in my mom's kitchen.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm guessing part of the glass-licking behavior is that you were handling the glass and drinking from it, so naturally your bird becomes keenly interested in it too. Any food or drink becomes extra tempting when mom/dad is consuming it!

Stolen from the PYF Schadenfreude thread:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

I'm guessing part of the glass-licking behavior is that you were handling the glass and drinking from it, so naturally your bird becomes keenly interested in it too. Any food or drink becomes extra tempting when mom/dad is consuming it!

Stolen from the PYF Schadenfreude thread:

Cute birbs and crying babies, my favourite things! :D

I said I would post some Toasts, so here is Toast doing all her favourite things!

Sitting on heads!

Fitting in boxes!

(((z)))

Die Pikachu!

This should also be under (((z))) but it deserves special mention.

e: As always, my camera is a potato.

e2: Oh and I am rubbish at taking and uploading videos, but here is someone else's video of a baby Macaw being fed, which is roughly how Toast reacts when she gets a spoon of soup, risotto, spinach, yoghurt, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Wef9x6GPk

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 10, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
My partner finally cracked, we're officially getting a conure. Looking at cages, perches and toys right now!! :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wrecking Ball posted:

Has anyone ever fed "Versele-Laga" brand seeds? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/bird_food/parakeet/versele_laga/206852

I don't have a regular type seed mix I use for my budgies so I usually just pick up whatever is pre-sealed at the pet store.

If you can get hold of vitakraft http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/bird_food/parakeet/vitakkraft/193667?rrec=true then that's the best one. I make my own mixes for the bigger birds by buying bog standard cockatiel food and adding various vitakraft luxury bags, the budgie food, and pellets to it, the budgie picks the bits he likes out of the pots.

Thor, the less stupid of my two potatoes has always enjoyed flipping upside down on the ropes and flapping his wings, Loki, the timid one, copied him yesterday. I'm so proud. Of course then the budgie decided to have a go and Loki got a bit frightened and hid in the flat perch in the corner of the cage.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

painted bird posted:

My partner finally cracked, we're officially getting a conure. Looking at cages, perches and toys right now!! :3:

Weren't you already? Like, you picked out a breeder, were looking at cages, went to a bird market, etc? Unless I'm misremembering

Did you pick a name that went with the budgie's names yet?

(Now you need to start working on him in regards to getting a potato)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Maybe he's just having fun? :3: My bird doesn't dive into glasses (not nearly graceful enough) but she does like to play in the cabinets and awkwardly climb around. I couldn't find the pictures of her in the cabinet, but have a doof playing around in my mom's kitchen.

The bravest birb!

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
We were planning on getting a conure, but it was a nebulous thing where he indulged me while I looked for a breeder, went to bird markets and so on. This is him finally giving in and letting me buy a cage so we can actually buy the bird.

I have my eye on three breeders in total -- one doesn't seem to have non-paired Pyrhurras right now, one has young birds from 2015 and one's status is completely unknown, but he's very local and I'm hoping he does indeed breed conures (and has some).

A cockatiel is unlikely, as one of the conditions of getting a conure is that I wouldn't get a fourth bird. :( But who knows what'll happen in the future?

EDIT: The main contender for the conure's name right now is Aegis, "shield". :3:

painted bird fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 10, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

painted bird posted:

A cockatiel is unlikely, as one of the conditions of getting a conure is that I wouldn't get a fourth bird. :( But who knows what'll happen in the future?

I believe Battle Pigeon was literally telling you to buy a Yukon Gold potato and put it in a cage with a speaker playing cockatiel warks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

painted bird posted:

Have them committed.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh my goodness toast is so cute. :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Apparently I forgot to quote/post earlier but yes Toast is adorable and has a great name.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I believe Battle Pigeon was literally telling you to buy a Yukon Gold potato and put it in a cage with a speaker playing cockatiel warks.

Exactly this. And then later you can swap it out for a cockatiel and no one will ever know the difference.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Also hey: what should a birdie first-aid kit contain? I'm going to put one together and besides "syringes", I have no idea what I'd need.

P.S. more potential conure names: Eris, Artemis, Hermes, Herakles.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

painted bird posted:

Also hey: what should a birdie first-aid kit contain? I'm going to put one together and besides "syringes", I have no idea what I'd need.

P.S. more potential conure names: Eris, Artemis, Hermes, Herakles.

Maybe you'll find these useful:

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/firstaid.php
http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/planningforemergencies.php

Aegis is nice, but Artemis and Hermes could be appropriate in their own ways.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

British budgie update:
Bungle and Zippy are adapting well to their new home, enjoy doing everything together from eating to sleeping.

http://imgur.com/ity27M7

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Guard dogs may still be a thing, but there's apparently a promising future for guard parrots...

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

British budgie update:
Bungle and Zippy are adapting well to their new home, enjoy doing everything together from eating to sleeping.

http://imgur.com/ity27M7

oh my goodness :kimchi:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like Toast and also Bungle & Zippy and all the other birds in this thread :3:

Even the attack conure. You go, attack conure.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Guard dogs may still be a thing, but there's apparently a promising future for guard parrots...

This is what Taco is like when some of our friends come over.

The only thing funnier than Tacos impotent fluffy rage is my friends actually cowering in fear at a 120 gram orange bird.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Other people's birds can be scary! Even if you know general parrot body language that is no guarantee that your friends bird is going to come up to you out of curiosity and not bloodlust.

I still remember being terrified by an umbrella cockatoo at somebody's house when he jumped from his owner's shoulder onto their kitchen table and ran across it straight at me. His owner seemed entirely unconcerned but I was real nervous for a moment until he put his head down and begged for scratches.

That cockatoo gave actual hugs. He would lean against you and lay his head on your chest and lift his wings so you could put your arms around him and scratch his back. :kimchi:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

That cockatoo gave actual hugs. He would lean against you and lay his head on your chest and lift his wings so you could put your arms around him and scratch his back. :kimchi:
I wish cockatoos stayed like this forever and didn't get all COMPLEX :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

First place cockatiels at the local fair
http://imgur.com/w20UGMp