Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I really don't. I had my fill of Sasuke.

Well, the difference being that he's not cold and brooding, he's hotheaded, which makes him neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

DrSunshine posted:

Well, the difference being that he's not cold and brooding, he's hotheaded, which makes him neat!

That makes him Naruto not Sasuke.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The difference between Bakugou and Sasuke is that Bakugou actually has personal convictions and isn't a goddamned moron.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Soylentbits posted:

That makes him Naruto not Sasuke.

Nah. He's a hot-headed, constantly angry rival that wants to be Nº1, has a grudge against the hero and a gigantic ego.

Bakugou is the most Vegeta character since Vegeta.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nah. He's a hot-headed, constantly angry rival that wants to be Nº1, has a grudge against the hero and a gigantic ego.

Bakugou is the most Vegeta character since Vegeta.
So, in My Hero Academia Abridged...
Ghost All-Might: "I'm haunting you, my boy!"

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 11, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The one thing I don't get that's probably a Japanese thing is how insistently everyone refers to them as childhood friends when they haven't liked eachother for several years?

I mean, Bakugou and Midoriya eventually becoming actual friends again could be a thing and would make sense I guess.

More sense than Naruto saying that the dude he was in a squad with for like 2-3 months who tried to kill him AND everyone he cared about AND destroy his home like a half-dozen times is his "BEST FRIEND".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

The one thing I don't get that's probably a Japanese thing is how insistently everyone refers to them as childhood friends when they haven't liked eachother for several years?

I mean, Bakugou and Midoriya eventually becoming actual friends again could be a thing and would make sense I guess.

More sense than Naruto saying that the dude he was in a squad with for like 2-3 months who tried to kill him AND everyone he cared about AND destroy his home like a half-dozen times is his "BEST FRIEND".

In Naruto's defense, he had a really hosed up childhood and had no friends at all until he was on the same team as the first boy he kissed. The poor little near feral doofus just didn't know any better. Remember that he was also totally in love with the girl on his team, making the girl he loved and his best friend the only people his age to call him by name without throwing rocks at him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, the childhood friend sentimentality loses a bit of its luster when one half of the equation has been actively antagonizing the other half for years.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still think there's some sentimentality there between Bakugou and Midoriya- if either died the other would probably get extremely upset.

Naruto and Sasuke, which they are compared to a lot...uhhh yeah, Sasuke for like 80% of the series would've been the one doing the killing.

Gyges posted:

In Naruto's defense, he had a really hosed up childhood and had no friends at all until he was on the same team as the first boy he kissed. The poor little near feral doofus just didn't know any better. Remember that he was also totally in love with the girl on his team, making the girl he loved and his best friend the only people his age to call him by name without throwing rocks at him.
And then he ends up with his stalker that required an entire movie to develop the until-then non-existent romance with.

Man, Naruto really fell into the shitter pretty early.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

There's a thing where if someone is really lonely, especially when they're younger, they'll try to be friends with anyone who will give them attention; Even if that other person actively hates and bullies them. Most adults don't even see that stuff as more than play fighting, like when a boy is beating on a girl and everyone claims it's because he likes her. Kids can be pretty desperate for friendship.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Official US popularity poll results are out:

1. Midoriya
2. Tsuyu
3. Uraraka
4. All Might
5. Bakugou
6. Todoroki
7. Tokoyami
8. Stain
9-9. (tie) Mei and Mina
11. Gran Torino
12. Momo
13-13. Shinso and Iida
15. Kaminari
16. Kirishima
17-17. Mineta and Shigaraki
19. Midnight
20. Aizawa

The Japanese results were good, but I think ours are better. :thumbsup:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Looks like Fumikage's seventh banana no matter where you go.

No surprise Tsuyu placed higher.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The same top 7 but in a slightly different order. That's pretty neat.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Stain making the list kinda owns.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I wish Aizawa placed higher on our list.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

If we as a culture cannot get tsuyu to the top of this list then what the gently caress is the point

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Iida should be higher. :colbert:

Also, I don't know who Mei or Mina are.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Iida should be higher. :colbert:

Also, I don't know who Mei or Mina are.

Mei is the inventor girl and Mina is Pinky, the ant-looking one who secretes acid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Mei is the inventor girl and Mina is Pinky, the ant-looking one who secretes acid.

Oh. They're ok, i'm fine with their placement.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Now THAT'S a list I can get behind. Tsuyu right below the main character is pretty excellent. Ashido and Mei getting in the top 10 is also great, I'm definitely looking forward to them getting featured more prominently at some point. I'm kind of impressed Tokoyami somehow managed to retain the exact same placing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ruggington posted:

If we as a culture cannot get tsuyu to the top of this list then what the gently caress is the point

She's as high as a non-main character is going to get, gero.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Todoroki is waay down. I mean, I like Todoroki, but it's nice seeing a confirmation of what all of us have been thinking for years.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Todoroki is about as well realized a version of that character archetype as I've ever seen. So if he were more like Sasuke that would either put him 5 places lower. Or maybe higher, depending on how many english readers of MHA are people who realized Sasuke sucks rear end a decade+ ago versus how many are 14 year olds.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Todoroki is waay down. I mean, I like Todoroki, but it's nice seeing a confirmation of what all of us have been thinking for years.

I believe that Zuko is still cool.

TriffTshngo posted:

Todoroki is about as well realized a version of that character archetype as I've ever seen. So if he were more like Sasuke that would either put him 5 places lower. Or maybe higher, depending on how many english readers of MHA are people who realized Sasuke sucks rear end a decade+ ago versus how many are 14 year olds.

Despite being the darkest and I guess least emotional of the main cast I don't think Todoroki is really anything like Sasuke.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 12, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Todoroki is fine.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Despite being the darkest and I guess least emotional of the main cast I don't think Todoroki is really anything like Sasuke.

That's exactly the comparison. When I said "that character archetype" I was referring to the serious broodboy with the tortured past, which Sasuke and Todoroki both fit. But Sasuke is a really poorly written character for most of Naruto's run, while Todoroki has, so far, managed to avoid doing/being the things that made Sasuke such a shitlord.

I honestly still feel like his fight with Midoriya and "breakthrough" or whatever was kind of forced, but if it helps prevent him from turning into Exactly Sasuke then I'm okay with it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tsuyu being high, Shinsou still being there, and Shigaraki and Stain making the list make me very, very happy with those results, even if Aizawa does deserve to be higher and Mineta is still there for some baffling reason.

Edit: Actually, it's interesting; I don't think any villains made the top twenty in the Japanese list, while the US one has two of them there.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 12, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The USA realizes the supremacy of the frog and that makes me happy, gero.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Actually, it's interesting; I don't think any villains made the top twenty in the Japanese list, while the US one has two of them there.

The Japanese poll was done before Stain was introduced I believe, and Shigaraki isn't really that interesting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Still surprised that Ashido did not make the top 20 in the Japanesse poll. Glad she made it to the top 10 for us however.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Western audience too satisfied with Zuko.

man if todokori was voiced by dante bosco in the dub of the inevitable anime i would be pretty pleased

that's rough buddy

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Birdboy. :allears:

Haha, actually it's kind of funny. In my mind most of the kids sound like the squeaky-voiced 14 year olds that they look like, but Tokoyami in my mind has the voice of a man in his thirties. Like Deku is completely Yuri Lowenthal, but Tokoyami is basically voiced by Chris Sabat or Steven Blum.

Also Todoroki sounds exactly like Dante Basco and you cannot convince me otherwise. :colbert:

EDIT: Beaten.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
People really want to gently caress that frog.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

:getin:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

:frogout:

Anyway, I think Tsuyu's popularity is in part because she seems to be one of the first characters a lot of people saw here. Like, I found out about MHA after seeing those pages of Tsuyu in various poses and stuff, thought she looked neat, and asked what she was from. Heck, I saw that art of her circulating in multiple communities before I encountered anything else from the series; I think that it took off over here prior to the comic itself getting a lot of attention and possibly being one of the factors drawing people to it. She's also a character who's been both funny and cool in most of her appearances and has an interesting design. It's not surprising she's rather popular.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

:frogout:

Anyway, I think Tsuyu's popularity is in part because she seems to be one of the first characters a lot of people saw here. Like, I found out about MHA after seeing those pages of Tsuyu in various poses and stuff, thought she looked neat, and asked what she was from.

Yup, same here. :frogbon:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also in the whole mutant/superpowered hero genre heroes and characters who are animal/part animal rather than just being named after them tend to get the short shrift a bit. Tsuyu has been pretty ridiculously competent.

I don't think I'd disagree a non-insignificant portion of her US votes are from the "Monster girls are hot" crowd.

I mean come on, the Fujoshi quotient for this series is such that I guarantee they're a pretty non-insignificant portion of the votes that say Todoroki/Bakugou got in Japan since they want them along with most of the male cast to gaymarry Midoriya.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

But they really want to gently caress Midoriya way more.

Or are you saying that the only reason she's popular is as a female character her only important aspect to fans is sexual, irrespective of any other positive traits she has?

Like I'd think this was a joke if you didn't have a trash garbage history already

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't personally want to gently caress Tsuyu. I like and voted for her because she has a very dry and straightforward way of speaking, and a good sense of humor. I imagine her sounding like Violet from The Incredibles. Plus her competence and initial "Call me Tsuyu" catchphrase were very charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's no pain like thinking you ran into a Froppy cosplayer and she's actually Sheego.

Did the japanese Poll really go like that? With Naruto and Zoo (and the author himself) getting votes?