Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Today a coworker from one of our other IT offices shows up today to setup some equipment that was recently installed in our server room. We figure out what he need as far as cabling, get it patched in, on the right vlan and ready to go. Then he asks for help on getting this setup, and I thought he meant he just needed a monitor and keyboard so he could configure it. I find some equipment, push over a old half-height cabinet to put the monitor and keyboard on and go to leave. Then he asks me what to next. I mention that he should probably look at the manual and go from there, the box is an appliance so usually there some sort of quickstart.

He gets the manual from the box, looks it, looks at the box, back to the manual, then looks at me. I suddenly come to the conclusion that when he asked for help, he was asking for someone to help him the entire way. I decide to just help, since I'm not doing anything anyway and this actually seems important.

So the tiny manual with the box is just "power it on, plug in a serial cable, use these serial settings and here's the default password, check the enclosed disk for the manual." I grab my spare laptop, console in and get a standard CentOS login. We get in and I look in the manual, they have some steps to manually change the network config from the commandline and from editing files. My linux skills are rusty, but I muddle through the steps. I reboot it and huzzah its on the network.

We got to lunch with some other coworkers, and the entire time he's talking about how he's glad he is that we helped, and how we can help in future. It is pretty obvious that he wants to palm the heavy lifting of this onto us. I've always suspected this guy is in way over his head, but I didn't think it was this bad. While setting this up, he was constantly asking basic networking questions, like why I needed to set a gateway. Now, if this was someone was new to computing, I'd understand it. But he's been here for years, and technically been working with computers all that time. Also, the entire time I'm making the config changes, he mentions how he used to work for a company and did all their programming in linux, but apparently all that info etchasketched out of his head at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Today a coworker from one of our other IT offices shows up today to setup some equipment that was recently installed in our server room. We figure out what he need as far as cabling, get it patched in, on the right vlan and ready to go. Then he asks for help on getting this setup, and I thought he meant he just needed a monitor and keyboard so he could configure it. I find some equipment, push over a old half-height cabinet to put the monitor and keyboard on and go to leave. Then he asks me what to next. I mention that he should probably look at the manual and go from there, the box is an appliance so usually there some sort of quickstart.

He gets the manual from the box, looks it, looks at the box, back to the manual, then looks at me. I suddenly come to the conclusion that when he asked for help, he was asking for someone to help him the entire way. I decide to just help, since I'm not doing anything anyway and this actually seems important.

So the tiny manual with the box is just "power it on, plug in a serial cable, use these serial settings and here's the default password, check the enclosed disk for the manual." I grab my spare laptop, console in and get a standard CentOS login. We get in and I look in the manual, they have some steps to manually change the network config from the commandline and from editing files. My linux skills are rusty, but I muddle through the steps. I reboot it and huzzah its on the network.

We got to lunch with some other coworkers, and the entire time he's talking about how he's glad he is that we helped, and how we can help in future. It is pretty obvious that he wants to palm the heavy lifting of this onto us. I've always suspected this guy is in way over his head, but I didn't think it was this bad. While setting this up, he was constantly asking basic networking questions, like why I needed to set a gateway. Now, if this was someone was new to computing, I'd understand it. But he's been here for years, and technically been working with computers all that time. Also, the entire time I'm making the config changes, he mentions how he used to work for a company and did all their programming in linux, but apparently all that info etchasketched out of his head at some point.

That's not good man. If he's missing foundational knowledge like what a gateway is, you should start forcefully complaining to management about how the guy is incompetent, because they will tell you in 2 years when they let him go that you weren't forceful enough.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mewse posted:

That's not good man. If he's missing foundational knowledge like what a gateway is, you should start forcefully complaining to management about how the guy is incompetent, because they will tell you in 2 years when they let him go that you weren't forceful enough.

He's thankfully in a different department and honestly I think most of that group is pants on head. If his manager hasn't figured out by now this guy is clueless, either he's even more clueless (likely) or doesn't care (even more likely).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of my coworkers was running a tracert to a destination on the same subnet yesterday and concluded there was a routing issue since the destination IP just kept responding forever.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Did a new install of one our central apps for a new site. Something wasn't working right so I poked around in log-files I don't usually touch.

I found a gem.

2015-10-16 10:15:30.300 - INFO: Login, user: Caconym
<encrypted>true </encrypted>
<username>mynocaC</username>
<password>drowssap ym</password>

Yes, someone actually shipped a system that "encrypts" passwords with String.Reverse. :downs:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
loving hell, manager or not anyone who flips out and goes psycho over menial poo poo gets the "No, I'm not doing this" treatment until they calm the gently caress down.

Personally I'm getting fed up with the theatrics involved in ordering equipment, especially when it comes to new staff. I have strict orders about what kit to get a new health and safety consultant as his manager said he'll be a stickler for the details, and a prissy events manager wants a laptop as well; of course finance has to gently caress everything up.

I've had a fair amount of notice for this so on my end I've tried to put everything in place, but had no response for a good while for getting anything authorised until the Friday that's just gone. "Give the super old one in storage to events for the weekend, then give it to new person on the Monday. Person on legal requires a new laptop, order one for her then give old one to events. Upgrade both old ones".

All of this needs to kick off tomorrow, because of the delay the order went out late so there's no guarantee the kit will even come in on time PLUS I wanted to kick off a 365 subscription since buying in Office product key cards isn't sustainable. loving assholes need to stop being so cheap with everything and consider what's involved in onboarding new staff, every time I'm asked do we have X in storage the answer is always; "THERE IS NO STORAGE, THERE ARE NO SPARES, THERE ARE NO LICENSES TO REUSE"

:ssj:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The office manager has gone on the offensive. I received a call from the CEO that he's holding a day-long meeting at work with his managing directors and they're having trouble with wifi. The CEO called the office manager first who told him "Dick hosed up the wifi. I told him last week but he won't fix it." So as soon as I answer I'm getting grilled by the CEO as to why I'm refusing to fix a problem I created. I tried to explain but he kept talking to other people in the room "ARE YOU ON? ARE YOU ON? IS IT WORKING? IT'S NOT WORKING!" I asked him to verify whether people were unable to join wifi, or they could join but not get internet access. He puts the phone down, I hear him talking and then he gets back on. "Wrong password. They're getting in now." I asked him to verify internet access before hanging up, he did so, and that was it.

I had no intention of quitting this job the way I've done too many times before but this is a whole new kind of trouble. I know I can't fight it but I'm concerned that if I try to stick it out this crazy fucker will escalate things beyond just bad mouthing me. He has access to the server room and is a domain admin, and admin on all of our services. He could burn that place down technology-wise and just say "Everything worked fine when I was in charge. Dick is incompetent."

I have no idea how to deal with yet another no-win situation. It's never about my ability to do my job. It's always weird, impossible to fight political/personal crazy poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Document the gently caress out of it so at least you can lawyer up if you have to defend yourself.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

I had no intention of quitting this job the way I've done too many times before but this is a whole new kind of trouble. I know I can't fight it but I'm concerned that if I try to stick it out this crazy fucker will escalate things beyond just bad mouthing me. He has access to the server room and is a domain admin, and admin on all of our services. He could burn that place down technology-wise and just say "Everything worked fine when I was in charge. Dick is incompetent."

I have no idea how to deal with yet another no-win situation. It's never about my ability to do my job. It's always weird, impossible to fight political/personal crazy poo poo.

Start removing his admin access, downgrade him to a standard user and deny doing it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Can you set up event logging on the domain controllers so that they push the logs to a server that you can keep control of?

You know, entrapment?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dick Trauma posted:

The office manager has gone on the offensive. I received a call from the CEO that he's holding a day-long meeting at work with his managing directors and they're having trouble with wifi. The CEO called the office manager first who told him "Dick hosed up the wifi. I told him last week but he won't fix it." So as soon as I answer I'm getting grilled by the CEO as to why I'm refusing to fix a problem I created. I tried to explain but he kept talking to other people in the room "ARE YOU ON? ARE YOU ON? IS IT WORKING? IT'S NOT WORKING!" I asked him to verify whether people were unable to join wifi, or they could join but not get internet access. He puts the phone down, I hear him talking and then he gets back on. "Wrong password. They're getting in now." I asked him to verify internet access before hanging up, he did so, and that was it.

Just remember that only the truth sounds like the truth. Keep your cool, keep your integrity, and move on if the situation calls for it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its sad to say but unless you're signing the checks you should be prepared to walk from a job at literally any point

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Dick Trauma posted:

Document poo poo and put in all that logging you can.

Thankfully from the previous blow up you have the report with the VP of HR. Work with them to keep documenting the harassment and get the guys access to critical items he shouldn't be able to touch taken away. Look for any backdoor accounts too because you never know with that type of individual.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was sitting at home and I thought "What would Tony do?"

So I got my things together and hopped in the car. I drove to work to "show the flag" and make a display of how I was responding to the CEO's urgent need for wifi. Image management. I went past the conference room first so I could be seen, then went back to my office. I decided that putting a temporary switch on the conference room table would be good I.T. theater but before I could do that I heard Bill's office door open. He wasn't around when I arrived. He walks past, sees me, keeps going, and then he comes back.

I'm thinking that this is the worst possible situation. Alone on the far end of the office on a Sunday with no one around. He starts to talk, says that his brief apology on Friday was heartfelt (it was horseshit) and that he wanted to put the incident in the past. I could see that I was all jittery so I figured I had to be really careful not to set him off.

I told him that what shocked me about the incident was that I thought I'd always treated him with respect and consideration, and I couldn't understand why he would have so much anger for me of that was true. I talked about how I recognized that he had many demands placed upon him, most of them high profile and difficult to manage and that I asked very little of him because I didn't want to add to it.

He loosened up a little and said he appreciated what I'd done for him, and what I brought to the company, and that the incident was the result of being hungry, annoyed and anxious, and that he felt that he wasn't controlling the move. It wasn't the result of built up resentment. I told him that if he's let me know at the beginning of the moves that he needed me to stop after each office until he was ready I would've done so. I wasn't there to mess him up or leave him hanging.

He said he thought he had but that in the future he'd be certain to do that, and that he really wanted things to be ok between us.

So... there is of course a large element of horseshit to this. He's emotionally unstable and for a 50 year old has the coping skills of a child. But if this puts at least a temporary end to this loving bullshit I was happy to take it. gently caress me. I'm exhausted. I'll add this to my incident report.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I was sitting at home and I thought "What would Tony do?"

So I got my things together and hopped in the car. I drove to work to "show the flag" and make a display of how I was responding to the CEO's urgent need for wifi. Image management. I went past the conference room first so I could be seen, then went back to my office. I decided that putting a temporary switch on the conference room table would be good I.T. theater but before I could do that I heard Bill's office door open. He wasn't around when I arrived. He walks past, sees me, keeps going, and then he comes back.

I'm thinking that this is the worst possible situation. Alone on the far end of the office on a Sunday with no one around. He starts to talk, says that his brief apology on Friday was heartfelt (it was horseshit) and that he wanted to put the incident in the past. I could see that I was all jittery so I figured I had to be really careful not to set him off.

I told him that what shocked me about the incident was that I thought I'd always treated him with respect and consideration, and I couldn't understand why he would have so much anger for me of that was true. I talked about how I recognized that he had many demands placed upon him, most of them high profile and difficult to manage and that I asked very little of him because I didn't want to add to it.

He loosened up a little and said he appreciated what I'd done for him, and what I brought to the company, and that the incident was the result of being hungry, annoyed and anxious, and that he felt that he wasn't controlling the move. It wasn't the result of built up resentment. I told him that if he's let me know at the beginning of the moves that he needed me to stop after each office until he was ready I would've done so. I wasn't there to mess him up or leave him hanging.

He said he thought he had but that in the future he'd be certain to do that, and that he really wanted things to be ok between us.

So... there is of course a large element of horseshit to this. He's emotionally unstable and for a 50 year old has the coping skills of a child. But if this puts at least a temporary end to this loving bullshit I was happy to take it. gently caress me. I'm exhausted. I'll add this to my incident report.

Well, you don't have to like him, and it sounds like you've more or less reached an accord of some sort. It may be the best you can hope for. Dealing with office politics sucks, and I've found the smaller and higher up the group is, the more potential it has to be absolutely insane.

Keep that resume current.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

flosofl posted:

Well, you don't have to like him, and it sounds like you've more or less reached an accord of some sort. It may be the best you can hope for.

I'd say that was a pretty good outcome. Sure, it may be horseshit, but at least it's polite horseshit. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Plus, you've shown that you aren't a pussy. That carries a lot more weight that you might imagine.

flosofl posted:

Time to get that old pick-up with the bashed-in front end out of the hidden storage unit*

*If I remember your previous history with bad coworkers correctly

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

flosofl posted:

Well, you don't have to like him, and it sounds like you've more or less reached an accord of some sort. It may be the best you can hope for. Dealing with office politics sucks, and I've found the smaller and higher up the group is, the more potential it has to be absolutely insane.

Yeah, I'd consider moving on anyways, poo poo like this just reeks of unprofessional conduct from the CEO down. This is liable to happen again the next time he gets hungry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know a guy who turns into a total prick when he's hungry, and acts like because we know he gets like that it means somehow we are responsible for ensuring he doesn't get hungry. gently caress you buddy, carry an emergency cereal bar or something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Y

Thanks Ants posted:

I know a guy who turns into a total prick when he's hungry, and acts like because we know he gets like that it means somehow we are responsible for ensuring he doesn't get hungry. gently caress you buddy, carry an emergency cereal bar or something.

Bonus / Comedy option: Carry a cereal bar for him, but demand :10bux: for it. Allow other co-workers to purchase it for him.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I have wasted the last 6 hours cleaning up a mistake someone else has made.

I will not be working tomorrow.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why is a vp of IT moving desks? I thought you were a suit wearing C level now?

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

spog posted:

Time to get that old pick-up with the bashed-in front end out of the hidden storage unit*

*If I remember your previous history with bad coworkers correctly

I think that was Midelne?

*edit* who had the boss who had the accident, not that Midelne did it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

seadweller posted:

I think that was Midelne?

*edit* who had the boss who had the accident, not that Midelne did it.

Midelne's story and mine get mixed together. It's understandable. All our terrible bosses combine into a giant Transformer Boss of misery.

And yes, I have a nice title but no staff so I get to move people. Remember how far things went at the last place and they still wouldn't let me hire someone? This place is much less intense in that respect because we're as small now as my old employer was when I was first hired there. But we're growing quickly.

The guy that replaced me at my old job finally has a desktop support person, long after I left. But the CEO's assistant emailed me last week that my replacement is going down in flames because he can't handle my responsibilities and won't admit it. Things are going sideways and he's squirming like mad to avoid the blame because he knows that like me, he'll get crushed if they start to feel that he can't do the job. Unlike me I could do that job and always held myself accountable, and the difference between us has become noticeable to everyone.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 19, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I'm not going to make excuses for Bill, but.. my wife gets sort-of-the-same when she's stressed out and hungry. Not "totally like Bill" but maybe 5% of it, so it may not be a complete bullshit excuse/explanation.

(I learned years ago to ignore her outbursts if they show up when dinner time is coming up. The strange this is that she can be highly distressed over tiny issues, and five minutes later she's had a few mouthfuls, and has calmed down completely.)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crowley posted:

I'm not going to make excuses for Bill, but.. my wife gets sort-of-the-same when she's stressed out and hungry. Not "totally like Bill" but maybe 5% of it, so it may not be a complete bullshit excuse/explanation.

(I learned years ago to ignore her outbursts if they show up when dinner time is coming up. The strange this is that she can be highly distressed over tiny issues, and five minutes later she's had a few mouthfuls, and has calmed down completely.)

Hypoglycemia, described as the opposite of diabetes. Instead of not producing insulin to counter sugar, your body over-produces it. One of the symptoms is being irrationally angry when hungry.

One of my cousins married a man who suffers from that, and when he feels it coming on, he just tells his family to get out because he is such an rear end in a top hat. They would go to a movie or something, and come back once he has had a chance for a sandwich.

Ofc, he has it under control, and doesn't let himself get hungry anymore, since it is the kind of thing that can cost jobs, family, and probably sanity if you don't handle it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Ok, so this just happened. I'm on vacation for two weeks. This is my first day. I get an email from a client asking me why he can't get ahold of my boss, I forward the email to my boss and office manager, and say "hey, if you run into $BOSS, let him know so and so is looking for him."

I get a response from the director (Boss's Boss) and he tells me that $BOSS has been let go.

I wouldn't worry about it, but our team was three people. One guy quit the other day, $BOSS is gone, so it's just me.

I try to call the director, but he's not in the office, so I talk to the GM (Boss's Boss"s Boss), and he tells me "no, don't worry you have nothing to worry about, we just wanted to restructure, and we'll discuss how it impacts you when you get back. Enjoy your vacation."

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :smith: :smith: :smith:

I'm really worried.

Everything is going really well, and I really liked my boss. I've called my recruiter and started that process just incase.

Maybe no one cares, but I'm at work today for the first time since my vacation, and the GM talked to me and assured me I'm not being let go, and that they are moving the department from the office in Italy to here, and that I definitely have a place. So I'm not super worried. However my recruiter got me an opportunity as a Senior Linux Administrator at Samsung...hmmm....

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
This is the exact usage scenario of a Snickers bar. Carry them in a bandoleer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thebigcow posted:

This is the exact usage scenario of a Snickers bar. Carry them in a bandoleer.

At my awful consulting job, one of the owners would work all night, mainly because he didn't do anything all day, but he'd troll for food in the office and eat whatever he could find (and also leave jars of urine around).

I had a half of a burrito in the fridge, and he took it an ate it. When I came in the next day, and went to eat it for lunch I couldn't find it, and asked around. He got pretty defensive about it, basically said "I sign your paychecks so I can eat whatever is here". I wasn't even mad, I was just curious where my burrito went.

Two weeks later I was sitting in the conference room on a conference call with a client, sitting around me were some of my coworkers, and this guy just comes up beside me and hands me half a burrito, and says "Here, just to shut you up at the burrito".

I'm totally bewildered, sitting there holding a hot, dripping burrito. When he handed it to me it dripped all over my pants and notebook. It was the weirdest and rudest gesture I've ever experienced.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

(and also leave jars of urine around).
:psyduck:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Yes, it was quite a place to work. The building was terrible and there wasn't a bathroom on our floor (the basement) for months. There was one a few floors up, but I mean why walk 100 feet when you can just whiz in that Snapple bottle you emptied a few minute ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yes, it was quite a place to work. The building was terrible and there wasn't a bathroom on our floor (the basement) for months. There was one a few floors up, but I mean why walk 100 feet when you can just whiz in that Snapple bottle you emptied a few minute ago.

Those big slurpee cups will hold two pisses worth of urine.

After a few weeks they start leaking though.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

People would do that all the time back when I worked construction. The worst was opening a closet and finding someone had poo poo in a little empty box and just left it in there with the door closed. Add in the summers oppressive heat and it baked into just the most amazingly nauseating aroma.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gunjin posted:

People would do that all the time back when I worked construction. The worst was opening a closet and finding someone had poo poo in a little empty box and just left it in there with the door closed. Add in the summers oppressive heat and it baked into just the most amazingly nauseating aroma.

I worked for a large moving company, and often times the workers would take a dump in a small box. They'd put it in the truck with all the other boxes of some family's household belongings, and then at the next rest stop they'd throw it in the trash.

The problem was when they forgot. So the boxes would all get unloaded a few days later and we'd get a call.

Instead of "Does a bear poo poo in the woods" we had "Does a mover poo poo in a box"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Client sent me this:

:smithicide:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've run into the "32 bit OS, far more than 4GB of memory" thing more times than I can count.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Christ on a loving cracker.

So I get in this morning and the HR VP wants to talk to me. We talk briefly about how Bill apologized and although this incident can be put behind us I think his manager should be concerned about his potential for more problems.

Then the HR VP starts to talk about my behavior. She says she wants to help me keep things from escalating if there is ever another incident. The jist: when she called us both into her office moments after the incident during the 60 or so seconds before I walked out I pointed my finger at Bill after he started smiling, and I asked him if he thought the situation was funny. I was a little heated but still controlled.

She kept stopping and restarting trying to explain herself and I was quickly getting more and more pissed off. She kept focusing on how I’d pointed my finger at him as a sign that I didn’t have the skills to deescalate a conflict. I was incredulous. I explained that during the verbal attack I worked very hard to deescalate. I didn’t swear, I didn’t call names, make threats. I just kept repeating for him to leave and calm down. I think many people would’ve failed that test. And she’d say “Yes it was great that you did that BUT-“

The VP kept digging back into those few moments back in her office, and the fact that it was just after an unprovoked attack did nothing to deter her from clinging to it as some sort of teachable moment. I let her know that whatever she was trying to accomplish it wasn’t working and was in fact making things worse after they’d been improving. She kept acting like I was refusing to listen to her valuable input. I was squirming in my chair, ambushed. She wouldn’t let it go.

She said “Here is my message. If there’s another incident remove yourself from the situation.” I pointed out that in the incident I couldn’t remove myself because Bill was between me and the door, and that when we were in her I office I did remove myself from the situation by walking out before things escalated. She kept flip-flopping between saying “Yes, that was right” and “Dick, I’m talking about going forward. Going forward.”

Somehow she was too dumb or too unwilling to recognize that these were obvious signs that I was not seeking conflict but in fact working to deescalate. She was angry at this point and I said “Your message is distorted and I feel like you’re creating a problem that doesn’t exist. I’m trying to help you understand that what you’re doing is not working and making things worse.” I got up and calmly said “I’m offended by the way you’re treating me, and I’m very disappointed in you.”

I walked down to my boss’s office and asked if she had a moment. I told her it was about the Bill thing and she said she’d heard all about it but she didn’t have time to talk. I very quickly said “I’ve just spent the last 20 minutes down in Cheryl’s office getting the boots put to me for no reason and I’m confused and upset at how I’m being treated. Cheryl’s treating me like I have a problem with my performance.”

She said “I have to leave right now for a meeting but here’s what I want you to do: put the Cheryl thing out of your mind. What she’s saying or doing doesn’t matter at all and will be taken care of. You don’t need to worry about it and can drop it. Just put it out of your mind.”

So that’s what I did, relieved if only because I don’t need another terrible thing dominating my thoughts. I have no idea if what my boss said is genuine. I don’t know what’s going on with the HR VP but my boss did not seem to be surprised in the slightest by what I’d said. I don’t know what to expect. I have no reason to believe anyone can be trusted to do their job properly. Cheryl is definitely an enemy now since I wouldn’t sit there meekly and let her have her bullshit teachable moment. The nerve of her, to chastise me based on my behavior after being attacked, and even that behavior was far more controlled than most people could’ve managed.

I’m so sick of pretty much everyone, everywhere. This whole thing was cooling down and this drat fool just wouldn’t let go of her obviously failed attempt to do whatever the hell she imagined she was going to achieve. Even after I told her “Look how upset you’ve made me and you still think you have a point to prove.” Christ on a loving cracker.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
My boss about a year ago got one of the underlings to format/reinstall Windows on his laptop and they put 32bit Windows on there. That person got let go. They were also very unreliable and had other issues.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

These are the things personal days are for, assuming they don't lop them straight off your vacation time (even then if you've got a day or two kicking around). Taking a day for your own mental health is absolutely a reasonable thing to do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
:bahgawd: Okay Sickening, lets have a talk about why you are being so difficult with expensing things.

:confused: I don't understand what is difficult? I don't pay for company things with my own money, that way I don't need to expense anything.

:bahgawd: That makes things inconvenient when I can't rely on you to go ahead and pay for things and we have to spend all this extra time getting things paid for.

:confused: If I could get reimbursed without issue and on time I wouldn't care, but we as a company aren't capable at this at the moment. I would prefer to not use my money for company business.

:bahgawd: We just never had these issues until you came on board.

:confused: The difference is that you had a company card and always did the ordering on that card and I do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dick Trauma posted:

HR is full of the most useless people imaginable