Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way as pokeyman. Need to check out the Tittycast later.

I'm glad the Genius is getting a shot at an English language version. If they can make it half as good then it'll be a fun watch. With four seasons to choose from you don't even need to come up with your own main match games, just pick and choose some of the good ones.

I would personally freak out for a best of three chess deathmatch near the end or in the finals. Even better if they go with a variant form of Chess with different rules, but I expect if they do Chess at all it'll be straight up.

Bughouse, to add to the social aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I played this at a game night recently and as i described it to a friend, it jumped right out as a Genius game.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

NowonSA posted:

I'm glad the Genius is getting a shot at an English language version. If they can make it half as good then it'll be a fun watch. With four seasons to choose from you don't even need to come up with your own main match games, just pick and choose some of the good ones.

I would personally freak out for a best of three chess deathmatch near the end or in the finals. Even better if they go with a variant form of Chess with different rules, but I expect if they do Chess at all it'll be straight up.

ITV's target viewers are, to put it bluntly, morons. They are by far the worst British channel the rights could have gone to. They will either do a faithful adaption which will utterly bomb or more likely, dumb it down and make it poo poo. I can't think of a single ITV celebrity I'd trust to draw at noughts and crosses let alone pull off a Dongmin.

I don't reckon you'd ever get to see a full game of chess as a deathmatch, it just takes too long and isn't very interesting television, there's a reason they used a miniature version of shogi rather than a larger version.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Sure, but: Peter Dickson as UK Bandage Man.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Blue Star Error posted:

ITV's target viewers are, to put it bluntly, morons. They are by far the worst British channel the rights could have gone to. They will either do a faithful adaption which will utterly bomb or more likely, dumb it down and make it poo poo. I can't think of a single ITV celebrity I'd trust to draw at noughts and crosses let alone pull off a Dongmin.

I don't reckon you'd ever get to see a full game of chess as a deathmatch, it just takes too long and isn't very interesting television, there's a reason they used a miniature version of shogi rather than a larger version.

Just bring in the cast of Downton Abbey dressed in period clothing, and watch Cousin Violet and Granny go at it in a fast-paced round of Hap! Gyul!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I have no doubt it was genuine, what I meant was is having an openly sexist hiring policy something that can get the producers in trouble in South Korea? Kyunghoon said it pretty matter-of-factly, but I wasn't sure if that was because its normalized or because Kyunghoon's just pretty matter-of-fact about stuff.

The entire entertainment industry of South Korea is run by organized crime and failed idols mostly end up becoming prostitutes until the company that hired them has used them up and thrown them out. They probably dont care about appearing sexist

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think in the comments of that article it says just because ITV bought it doesn't mean it would have to be on the ITV channel.
edit: oh actually the comments in this article http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=8870

"Remember that ITV Studios can make this for any channel, so it might not be intended for a channel in their own portfolio. If I’m honest, I’m slightly struggling to see it on any channel other than C4"

NowonSA posted:

Chess would be a bad idea. It fits as a Genius game but there would be too many people with preexisting skill sets in it.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Is there a documentary about the horrors of the South Korean entertainment industry anywhere?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That one Crime Scene episode of the Recording Artist murder comes pretty close.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Not an Owl posted:

Is there a documentary about the horrors of the South Korean entertainment industry anywhere?

There was a I think pbs thing that was free although I don't remember what

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I liked how pretty much every single crime scene murder involved at least 2 suspects that were suffering from crippling debt. Must be a thing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think every single one involved a relationship as well, often in secret.

I think they just needed to have emotional motivations for murder and jealousy/financial stress are two easily identifiable go-tos.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Youhyun interview: http://geniuscast.podbean.com/e/youhyun-dennis-kim-interview/

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Max posted:

I liked how pretty much every single crime scene murder involved at least 2 suspects that were suffering from crippling debt. Must be a thing.

I'm rather curious about this, actually. Is crippling debt really that common of an issue in Korea?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's common everywhere, dude.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Reasons to murder people: 1. Money 2. Passion 3. You're a transgender beauty queen whose secret is about to be outed

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ViggyNash posted:

I'm rather curious about this, actually. Is crippling debt really that common of an issue in Korea?

I still wanna know what the gently caress was up with Sangmin. All I've ever been able to suss out is "crippling debt" (and also a creepy rape van)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
shut up that van was 100% awesome swag

Someone please summarize that podcast because I don't have much chance to listen to these things lately but I'm super curious about it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I've listened to the first half of it only so far. Here's the recap:

Youhyun's English name is Dennis and his English is very very good. He went to English-speaking schools growing up in Hong Kong and China before going to Illinois for computer science. When he played poker, he did okay but you can't play in Korea, so he gave it up because he was tired of living out of a suitcase. He found out about The Genius from Yohwan when they met while playing poker in the Philippines or somewhere. Now he teaches English for a living.

In casting, he was in a group of six that included Hyunmin and Yeonsong. Hyunmin was out first so Youhyun didn't really know much about him and didn't think much of him until after they did the first episode. Yeonsung was on his team and just went along with what he suggested, but was charming and funny so Youhyun wasn't surprised to see him make the show like he was with Hyunmin.

In that one game where all the criminals went and met up and gave themselves away, he defended himself by saying they'd had a chance to talk at he beginning and that he'd said whichever one of them was the chief, if they got a chance to meet up at the end, shouldn't come.

In Memory Maze, he said the first time he'd tried to memorize all Ahyoung's walls as well as his own, but the second time decided memorizing his opponent's walls was pointless. Then Yeonjoo pathed her way over to him, and he didn't know her route which killed him.

He said Sangmin has "the force" like a Jedi - you can just feel it as soon as you see him.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Propaganda Machine posted:

I still wanna know what the gently caress was up with Sangmin. All I've ever been able to suss out is "crippling debt" (and also a creepy rape van)

I answered this for you the last time you posted about it. It was all lawsuits from failed business ventures.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mob posted:

I answered this for you the last time you posted about it. It was all lawsuits from failed business ventures.

And that's still incredibly vague. Is that where the van came from? Who sued him? Did he end up owing money to the mob?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

That one Crime Scene episode of the Recording Artist murder comes pretty close.

How is Crime Scene? I saw it on Bumd's tumblr but haven't watched it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SalTheBard posted:

good in general, but 2nd season is way better than season 1. I think the best entry point is midS1 where they did one episode per crime

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SalTheBard posted:

Crime Scene season 2 is required viewing if you like Dongmin. If you like Jinho, watch both seasons. Deduction Park is a fun surprise, and it's a real shame they never had her on Genius. The first 4-ish episodes suffer from the aforementioned format issues, but it's solid stuff overall. Other goons disagree, but I think their first guest star was amazing; he used dowsing sticks to reveal the footprints of the murderer :tinfoil:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Does it get less painfully awkward later? I had to quit after about 15 minutes, the hosts seem really bad at this interview thing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

grate deceiver posted:

Does it get less painfully awkward later? I had to quit after about 15 minutes, the hosts seem really bad at this interview thing.

They are not great podcasters but it's worth it for the interviewees.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'd really like to just hear Tittygod Kingslayer talk about whatever for two hours, but if it's dudes asking really lukewarm bland questions, tossing awkward jokes and Kyunghoon replying with single sentences then I think I'm gonna pass.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's definitely kind of awkward and makes me appreciate what Rob Cesternino does more, and yeah Kyunghoon's English doesn't help matters. I got a bit used to it as it went on and Kyunghoon drops some nuggets, so I enjoyed it, but if you find it hard to listen to I get it. The Youhyun one, while also slightly awkward, ended up being a better listen probably because he's such a fluent speaker.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Crime Scene season 2 is required viewing if you like Dongmin. If you like Jinho, watch both seasons. Deduction Park is a fun surprise, and it's a real shame they never had her on Genius. The first 4-ish episodes suffer from the aforementioned format issues, but it's solid stuff overall. Other goons disagree, but I think their first guest star was amazing; he used dowsing sticks to reveal the footprints of the murderer :tinfoil:

Ya I watched Episode 1 and 2 and not a fan of the "1 crime over 2 episode" format. I'm glad to hear that it goes down to "1 crime, 1 episode". I'll give it a shot because I like Jinho, I got a little tired of Dongmin by the end of Genius season 4 (much the same way I felt about Sangmin at the end of season 2).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dongmin is good fun in Crime Scene because he doesn't get to just run the entire game like he does in The Genius.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He also just gets to do his thing, ie be a wacky comedian in funny costumes playing a murder mystery. There was one episode where he was basically a salvager hobo who lived in the back of his truck and by the way he misplaced the key to get into the back of his truck.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

He dinnae even have a key

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
By-the-book Second Mate Jang is clearly Dongmin's best Crime Scene character. :colbert:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Elite posted:

By-the-book Second Mate Jang is clearly Dongmin's best Crime Scene character. :colbert:

Agreed, by far. He gets bonus points because he got referenced by the super-hot and awesome singer guest who was a fan and also came onto the show.

BRB, need to rewatch some Crime Scene.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

NowonSA posted:

Agreed, by far. He gets bonus points because he got referenced by the super-hot and awesome singer guest who was a fan and also came onto the show.

BRB, need to rewatch some Crime Scene.

I like how he was still doing the salute thing in The Genius

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like how he was still doing the salute thing in The Genius

He must have been trolling Jinho, right?

I want a blooper reel of Dongmin loving with Jinho.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BrigBother, the guy who runs Bother's Bar (and who first twigged me onto The Genius) has posted a rather interesting development:

quote:

We were super pleased to discover that Possessed, a production company composed of loads of people Bother’s Bar approve of, are in the very early stages of developing the Genius Game for the UK. Genuinely this is A Bit Of A Result, they’ll ‘get’ the format better than anyone.

However, they also get that there’s nothing like it on British television and that this makes it a tough sell for commissioners. This is where you come in. The hope is that with genuine people demonstrating a genuine enthusiasm for the format, when they show it to commissioners it will help open the door and then the game should sell itself.

They need as many people as possible (at least 12) to wax lyrical about the show – simply explaining what they love about it. They need everyone to give passionate, coherent responses that will make a commissioner give them the chance to show the format at a detailed level.

If you really like the show (and if you’re here you probably do), have Skype and a webcam and would be willing to take part in a call with Possessed staff (and possibly other fans) which will be edited and shown to the relevant people then send an e-mail to possessedcasting@itv.com with ‘The Genius Game’ in the subject line and you’ll be e-mailed back with more information. A broad range of people is ideal so do please get in touch whoever you may be.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did ask if it was a UK-only thing, but Brig said that emailing them couldn't hurt, so there you are.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Finally just finished season 4. Almost cried when Sangmin got eliminated so early. I have such a crush on him. Except he looked really greasy in the finals episode.

This show is amazing I'm now addicted and have to go watch all the behind the scenes stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I did ask if it was a UK-only thing, but Brig said that emailing them couldn't hurt, so there you are.

Just wanted to update: I got an answer back -- This was definitely not UK only, so by all means get in on this.