Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh, and who were the recommended Amazon sellers for the UK? That will sort out customs and such?

Toyshop Japan Hobbyone is the one I normally recommend since they'll avoid you having to pay customs. Sukiyaki Japan were the other one, but I've not ordered from them in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does the regular HG Graze come with a lance weapon, or is the only the Custom?

It doesn't.

John Quixote posted:

Is it possible to hand-paint a lacquer or topcoat without it looking gross/brush stroke marks showing up? (If the advice is "get an airbrush" then I can just wait.)

Yes, there is absolutely nothing you can do with an airbrush that you can't also do with handpainting. The latter just tends to requires a lot more technique and a great deal of patience.

To answer your question more specifically, yes. You just need to properly thin your paints, brush with cross strokes (unless it's detailing), and use an appropriately sized synthetic brush. And if you intend to use lacquer, your coats will dry absurdly quickly. The bigger issue will be the fumes, but if you're handpainting I guess it wouldn't be as bad.

EDIT: Also ahahaha those anime-accurate RDs are classified as ver A.N.I.M.E. With that being an acronym for Action New Imagination Memory Emotion.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 21, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BlitzBlast posted:

It doesn't.

Guess I'll wait and plan out my kitbash. I feel the images on HLJ and the other places I looked don't do a good job of showing the accessories, unless the really only have the axe and gun? There's a bunch of stuff I want that isn't out yet, but when isn't that the case?

With HLJ, I can buy stuff and not have it shipped, right? So it just waits there until I tell them to ship it and pay shipping as appropriate?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

dalong's not as fast as he used to be anymore, so you should hit up hacchaka if you want to find out about the latest releases.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

BlitzBlast posted:

It doesn't.

Yes, there is absolutely nothing you can do with an airbrush that you can't also do with handpainting. The latter just tends to requires a lot more technique and a great deal of patience.

To answer your question more specifically, yes. You just need to properly thin your paints, brush with cross strokes (unless it's detailing), and use an appropriately sized synthetic brush. And if you intend to use lacquer, your coats will dry absurdly quickly. The bigger issue will be the fumes, but if you're handpainting I guess it wouldn't be as bad.

EDIT: Also ahahaha those anime-accurate RDs are classified as ver A.N.I.M.E. With that being an acronym for Action New Imagination Memory Emotion.

I have access to an outside balcony where I can paint so fumes are a non-issue. I'm guessing by cross-strokes you mean painting in alternate directions along the model? (I...don't have any experience painting models. Have to start somewhere...)

Anyone know how long the preorder periods last for Hobbysearch? I really don't want to miss out on the Qubeley and Hyakuren preorders, but I'm about to pull the trigger on an Amazon order for a brown gundam marker, the Dom I wanted and a couple other grunts. Figure I can get the other IBO gunpla I want when I buy from Hobbysearch. (Even if the sales on the Barbatos and Schwalbe Graze don't last they're not significantly large discounts, either way.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Cross-strokes means shifting the angle of your brushstrokes by 90 degrees between coats. It helps hide brush marks. Another useful tip is to use the side of the brush to level out the paint a little.

Unless it's something super amazingly popular (Metal Builds and the like), preorder periods usually last about as long as it takes for the kit to actually come out.

Also this is apparently my 800th post in this thread. It's me, I'm the living Q&A guy. :negative:
Too bad my avatar text isn't hilariously long anymore, who changed that?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Also this is apparently my 800th post in this thread. It's me, I'm the living Q&A guy. :negative:
Too bad my avatar text isn't hilariously long anymore, who changed that?

Hey, that's not a bad thing to be.

And I was wondering the same thing. Who'd you even piss off to get that in the first place?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Okay, so it's between coats, not just between each stroke. That helps a lot. I might start handpainting just as an exercise to help steady my hands before I get an airbrush.

And thank you! I know everyone has appreciated the 800 posts worth of help just as much as I've appreciated the few posts where you've helped me out.

Can anyone answer a dumb question about shipping? I was offered a free month of Amazon Prime again and I took advantage of it for the purchase I made this morning. The GM Space Command and brown gundam marker are being shipped in one package from Amazon. The other two - the Space Gehennam Commander and the Dom - are also said to be shipped in a package together. But it claims the Dom is being shipped by Toy Shop Japan Hobbyone, which I know for a fact ships from Japan because I made my first gunpla order from them. My guess is that this would delay the shipping for the second package? Thanks in advance.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 21, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Amazon's site is wrong about the second part being one package, wrong about half being from TJHO, or wrong about the other half not being from TJHO; it happens.

TSJO tend to ship pretty fast, but it's still going to take 3-6 weeks to get to you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Amazon's site is wrong about the second part being one package, wrong about half being from TJHO, or wrong about the other half not being from TJHO; it happens.

TSJO tend to ship pretty fast, but it's still going to take 3-6 weeks to get to you.

Not always. As far as I can tell they've somehow got a thing set up with amazon so that some of the kits they sell are on prime, with standard prime shipping speeds.

Don't know how it works, but it's pretty nice when it does.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Schwalbe Graze has actual jackboots...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The rifle-lance for Gaelio's Schwalbe Graze comes in the add-on pack with the mobile worker and the Barbatos's howitzer.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Uhm so 3 RGs showed up at my house today....I swear I didn't order them.......uhmmmm I have a problem

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AcidRonin posted:

Uhm so 3 RGs showed up at my house today....I swear I didn't order them.......uhmmmm I have a problem

Yeah, not enough RGs!

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, not enough RGs!

You right. I want to try other grades but I love the 1/144 scale. And rg is just small hg right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

AcidRonin posted:

You right. I want to try other grades but I love the 1/144 scale. And rg is just small hg right?

I assume you mean RG is just small MG, which is pretty accurate.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I assume you mean RG is just small MG, which is pretty accurate.

Yes that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Guess I'll wait and plan out my kitbash. I feel the images on HLJ and the other places I looked don't do a good job of showing the accessories, unless the really only have the axe and gun? There's a bunch of stuff I want that isn't out yet, but when isn't that the case?

With HLJ, I can buy stuff and not have it shipped, right? So it just waits there until I tell them to ship it and pay shipping as appropriate?

HLJ will hold stuff up to 60 days from date of release, so if you order 2 things a month apart you can combine shipping. They auto ship at 60 days so if you don't pay attention you can get boned.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I actually came back with a small haul today from hobbytown. I restocked all my gundam markers, got a new lining pen, picked up a GP-Base stand as well as the HG Barbados.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Trying to brainstorm a painting job! I want to repaint the GM Space Command that I'm getting, so I'm planning supplies and the logistics. Going to go to the craft store and buy some acrylics in the colors I decide to use (so I don't have to worry about getting any paint thinner), some brushes, and a base coat (maybe some lacquer too, to do top coats.) I'm sorry for asking so many silly questions about these, but I just want to make sure I'm approaching things right.

First: For a model you're already planning to paint, is it easier to paint the parts on the runners? Or would it be not possible because of the sprues covering up some of the plastic that needs to be painted over before you cut it off? I can likely pick up some alligator clips from the hobby shop so it wouldn't be too much of a problem to set up a more classic painting rig. I'm just worried about having to assemble the model by eye, after cutting the pieces out of their identifying sprues.

Second: Any recommendations for brands? I was just going to pick up whatever acrylics were available at the hobby shop, but I have no idea what to do in regards to base coat, and I understand you need one before painting with acrylics. Does anyone recommend a brand of paint-on or spray-on base coat? Or would it be fine to just pick up whichever one the shop might have available? As far as a lacquer, I doubt I can find Tamiya matte spray at the hobby shop, but if I find something I'll likely pick up a can.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

John Quixote posted:

Or would it be not possible because of the sprues covering up some of the plastic that needs to be painted over before you cut it off?

Got it in one. It's because of that that people recommend building the kit by its components, both so you don't get overwhelmed by which part is what and so that you can see how everything fits together so you know where to paint.

I will say that once you work on enough kits you can totally just figure out what everything is just by looking at it though.

quote:

Any recommendations for brands? I was just going to pick up whatever acrylics were available at the hobby shop, but I have no idea what to do in regards to base coat, and I understand you need one before painting with acrylics. Does anyone recommend a brand of paint-on or spray-on base coat? Or would it be fine to just pick up whichever one the shop might have available?

If by base coat you mean primer, then uh you can probably just pick up a can of Army Painter or something. You don't really need primer for hand-painting though, unless you're completely changing the color or something.

Also Tamiya is good, but their paints are alcohol based so be weary of them drying too fast. Also you'll need their brand name thinner instead of just regular water. Vallejo is great if you can find them (they even have brush on primer), and otherwise I guess Games Workshop is an option if you have literally no other choice. GW paint is pretty good but you shouldn't support them on principle alone.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

BlitzBlast posted:

If by base coat you mean primer, then uh you can probably just pick up a can of Army Painter or something. You don't really need primer for hand-painting though, unless you're completely changing the color or something.

Okay, that's fine. I'll likely just paint the parts of the model that I'm about to build before building them, little by little, like you said.

Glad I don't have to worry about primer. As much as I'd like to repaint the whole thing, I should be realistic with my first custom paint job -- I'm likely going to swap the red out with purple. I'd also like to add some yellow detail in the torso exhausts and in the "neck" area of the GM that houses the head.

I didn't see any Games Workshop paint at the craft store, and I'm not going all the way across town to the hobby shop just for acrylic model paints, so don't worry, I'm not giving GW any money. I got sad when the hobby shop had an entire half an aisle of WH40K stuff and literally like 5 gunpla. =(

The advice is definitely appreciated. Thank you~!

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 22, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Bandai is making an extra parts set for the Mk.2/Barzam MS Girls figure that gives her your choice of ponytail, pigtails, or side ponytail.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Speaking as someone who only recently got more into handbrushing as part of a foray into normal scale models, and having gotten an airbrush way early on in the game, this is 100% correct. I found that when I did proper thinning to handbrush, and used cross strokes, my coverages were way, way better. You absolutely can't do 1 coat only of handbrushed paint. Plus also worth note, if you use Vallejo's primer, you really gotta be OK with doing two coats. It isn't super duper perfect greatness like airbrushing Alclad primer, but it works fine with one coat let to dry, then another coat at 90 degrees brushed on.

I've been using Vallejo exclusively simply because you can store more of it in the space you can store Tamiya, and it dries fairly fast for another coat - maybe 20, 30 minutes tops. If you're gonna mask, you wanna at least wait to overnight, but lacquer has been ready to handle for me in usually 5 minutes tops.

Speaking of which, if you aren't using Alclad yet, do it for their Jet Exhaust paint. It is PERFECT for the hot ends of exhaust. I may never do a thruster without it after seeing what it did to the exhaust nozzles of the A-10 I'm building.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh and while this may be obvious, but I've run into enough people having problems with it that it bears repeating: take care of your brush. Seriously, look up paint-brush care tips or something, you really need that thing to be in as best a shape it can be.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

So as the newly reformed GW nerd your other option for GW quality paints that are easy to find in great variance is privateer press's paint. It has a name that I can't think of now. They are an American company that publishes Warmachine and Hordes and they are a preatty solid company

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Thanks very much for the further painting advice, everyone. It looks like the local craft store may sell Vallejo acrylics so that will likely be the way to go for me. Will just get a basic pack of brushes as well (don't need to invest in a fine detail brush or anything like that yet since I'm just doing basic color swaps). Found a styrofoam block outside today and alligator clips/skewers will be cheap so I won't need to drop more than $25 to start some very basic paint jobs, it seems.

In other news, my little brother who is still waiting on his Denial Gundam came across a Gaeon on Amazon and handed me the money right then and there for me to use my Prime to get it for him in two days. I used the opportunity to top myself off, as well. This is the best crippling addiction ever:

Really glad I picked up that Hi-Zack. It was the last one stocked by Toyshop Japan Hobby One...

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 23, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Quixote posted:

I used the opportunity to top myself off, as well. This is the best crippling addiction ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggs4raSBoQE

Now go watch Gundam Build Fighters and watch the last of your money vanish into plastic molds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9H1u1zFVNc

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just built a Petitgguy.

It was fun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That feeling when there are kits you really want, but you know you don't have enough shelf space. Guh.

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

Whenever I feel like I'm losing shelf space to my gundams I donate a bunch of them to my sister's kids so they can bash them together until they fall apart. Robots are made to be destroyed by kids. :kiddo:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

That feeling when there are kits you really want, but you know you don't have enough shelf space. Guh.

I have that problem now. I only have one Detolf in our nerd room along with a ladder bookshelf for nerdy figure/merch displays. That's all my wife is OK with. Solution: cheapo ladder shelf for the basement and rotate models/Gundams/figures/etc. Now I have a reason to buy more!

Nthing the proper brush care stuff. I started out kinda the wrongest possible way and my brushes aren't in the best shape. Usable, but not great. I forgot to clean a brush that I used to brush on some Micro Crystal Clear and it got fused up, so I bought an Army Painter brush to replace it. With proper cleaning and care it still looks awesome after a week of fairly steady use, and I might just replace my whole stock at some point soon.

John Quixote posted:

Thanks very much for the further painting advice, everyone. It looks like the local craft store may sell Vallejo acrylics so that will likely be the way to go for me.

You've made the right choice. There's always a color perfect for your needs if you're going Vallejo, and they dispense so easily too. Make sure you get some of their primer if you intend to handbrush it. If you want a spray primer, I recommend Dupli-Color scratch filler primer. It goes on hard and fast but it's cheaper than Tamiya spray primer with the exact same quality.

Just make sure you get some Vallejo Thinner Medium. 1 drop thinner to 3 drops paint is perfect in terms of handbrush ratios.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of paint, I just did my first panel wash ever. It was a lot easier than I thought, but I don't think I'll do it for everything, there always seems to be just a little smearing that I can't seem to get rid of. I'll probably do it as a go-to for the more intricately detailed inner frame bits, a bit of smearing wouldn't be too bothersome there.

It does make for some very nice vents though, gotta say. For a while, nothing was settling right and I was freaking out a bit thinking I ruined the parts. Ruining a part on a regular MG is bad enough, doing it on a limited run third party kit is so much worse.

boom boom boom posted:

I just built a Petitgguy.

It was fun

Now all you need to do is pimp it out with weapons that are way too large for it. :kheldragar:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Speaking of paint, I just did my first panel wash ever. It was a lot easier than I thought, but I don't think I'll do it for everything, there always seems to be just a little smearing that I can't seem to get rid of. I'll probably do it as a go-to for the more intricately detailed inner frame bits, a bit of smearing wouldn't be too bothersome there.

Was it an acrylic wash or an oil/enamel wash. There are subtle differences in techniques when approaching washes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Was it an acrylic wash or an oil/enamel wash. There are subtle differences in techniques when approaching washes.

Enamel. Model master flat black enamel and some lighter fluid, going by a guide Blitz posted a while back.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I really have to get another display cabinet one of these days. I should probabably have them match. So much for just going to garage sales :negative:.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I finished my HG Barbatos today. Man that kit is actually loving fantastic. It's easily one of the best high grades and even without a poo poo ton of paint work it looks great out of the box.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
My Gunpla shame is that I'd never tried matte spray before. I decided to try it out on a cheap model, one of the petitgguys I bought. Turns out, Petitgguys are molded with this slight texture, so matte spray does nothing.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Just finished this guy yesterday

...and immediately started work on the MG Tallgeese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

My Gunpla shame is that I'd never tried matte spray before. I decided to try it out on a cheap model, one of the petitgguys I bought. Turns out, Petitgguys are molded with this slight texture, so matte spray does nothing.

If you don't see anything, you might have just not sprayed enough layers of topcoat.

Alternatively, you're using Krylon which just kind of sucks. :v: