Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But, seriously, why were you going 60% over the posted speed limit? I usually cap myself at 10 over on the highway. Doing 72 in a 45 (roughly 115 in a 70, for non-US goons such as myself, I looked it up) is how people get killed. Not just from the speed itself, but from the differential in speed between you and the rest of the traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When there's no other traffic it's not as bad.

I occasionally do 135 on the stretch of BC 95 that's a 90 zone, simply because there's never anyone there, you can see for hundreds of meters on either side of the road (so no chance of a deer or anything running out without me seeing it), there are no turns so you can see any cops coming up and actually doing the speed limit just feels so god damned slow.

I don't do it all the time, but sometimes doing speeds that are ridiculously over the speed limit is perfectly safe.

Another good example is Lion's Bay on the Sea to Sky - surrounded by 90 zones on either side of it, but because the rich assholes that live there decided people drive too fast on the highway near their mansions (that you can't get to without driving for at least 3 minutes off the exits anyway) they dropped the limit there down to 60. Except because it should be a 90 zone, everyone's doing 110 anyway and just hoping there's no cops there (there never are, I've literally never seen one in that 60 zone area).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You should probably go to prison for going 135 mph on a public road. You are insane.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I think he's using kph.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

You should probably go to prison for going 135 mph on a public road. You are insane.

I think it is Canadian miles, so, like, 60 in a 45 maybe? I don't know.

Coffee And Pie posted:

This might be a dumb question. I got my first speeding ticket, I was going 72 in a 45, but the cop gave me a break and recorded it as 62. I put in a not guilty plea and have a court date in a few months. Is there any chance my actual speed will come up if I don't mention it and say it was 62? Again, sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just very anxious about this.

Tell the judge that you never consented to joinder with the FLESH and BLOOD entity that is Coffee And Pie and therefore he has no jurisdiction over you.

I am required to say that is actually a bad idea, don't do that. Consult a real traffic lawyer like Blargzh before you do so.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

I occasionally do 135 on the stretch of BC 95 that's a 90 zone, simply because there's never anyone there, you can see for hundreds of meters on either side of the road (so no chance of a deer or anything running out without me seeing it), there are no turns so you can see any cops coming up and actually doing the speed limit just feels so god damned slow.

I don't do it all the time, but sometimes doing speeds that are ridiculously over the speed limit is perfectly safe.

Another good example is Lion's Bay on the Sea to Sky - surrounded by 90 zones on either side of it, but because the rich assholes that live there decided people drive too fast on the highway near their mansions (that you can't get to without driving for at least 3 minutes off the exits anyway) they dropped the limit there down to 60. Except because it should be a 90 zone, everyone's doing 110 anyway and just hoping there's no cops there (there never are, I've literally never seen one in that 60 zone area).

That's a highway, for one thing, and for another thing: if you don't have time to recognize that there's a cop and deal with it, you're still going too fast for conditions. If it's not a proper limited-access highway, there's also a risk of people turning out into traffic, and, no, it's not fair to expect they'll be watching for someone going 40 over the limit. I used to live in rural BC myself, and, no, it's not safe to speed through rural areas even if there are very few people around. 99% of the time, it's fine, and the 1% of the time you'll plow into some guy who just turned out of a hidden driveway. You don't get to play around to that degree on public roads (and believe me when I say there are many, many times I wish it were otherwise).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sullat posted:

Tell the judge that you never consented to joinder with the FLESH and BLOOD entity that is Coffee And Pie and therefore he has no jurisdiction over you.

I am required to say that is actually a bad idea, don't do that. Consult a real traffic lawyer like Blargzh before you do so.

COFFEE: and; pIE

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

sullat posted:

Roughly 80 in a 55.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Yeah but you have to go fast in Canada to outrun the bears.

Seriously though why would you even contest that ticket jfc.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

HookShot posted:

That seem reasonable to me. If the road is wide enough and you can see any potential danger from far enough, go for it. I do about that on some roads when there is no one to hit.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

sleepy.eyes posted:

That seem reasonable to me. If the road is wide enough and you can see any potential danger from far enough, go for it. I do about that on some roads when there is no one to hit.

This is incorrect.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I'm talking in kph, none of this magic moon numbers you Americans use :colbert:

PT6A posted:

That's a highway, for one thing, and for another thing: if you don't have time to recognize that there's a cop and deal with it, you're still going too fast for conditions. If it's not a proper limited-access highway, there's also a risk of people turning out into traffic, and, no, it's not fair to expect they'll be watching for someone going 40 over the limit. I used to live in rural BC myself, and, no, it's not safe to speed through rural areas even if there are very few people around. 99% of the time, it's fine, and the 1% of the time you'll plow into some guy who just turned out of a hidden driveway. You don't get to play around to that degree on public roads (and believe me when I say there are many, many times I wish it were otherwise).

Uh yeah it kind of is fair to expect people to check for traffic before they turn onto a road, especially one that's bigger than their rural driveway 50km outside of Golden. And again, I only ever drive that far over the limit in places where if someone did happen to turn onto the road, I would a) be able to see them from literally hundreds of meters away and b) therefore be able to tell if they're going to wait for me to get on the road or not.

All that said if I did get caught I wouldn't contest the ticket, especially not if the cop gave me a break in the first place because what the gently caress dude.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is incorrect.

Not legal, but it can still be safe. I never meant you -should- do it, just that it isn't always inherently dangerous. I know I shouldn't speed, but still do as long as I don't think I'm endangering others and don't think I'll get caught. I'm not some psycho; I don't go more than 5 or so over the limit when there are pedestrians and never just punch it when someone might pull out without me noticing. I may be a scofflaw, but I'm not reckless.

Edited to better reflect my though on the matter.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 22, 2015

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Birdstrike posted:

Yeah but you have to go fast in Canada to outrun the bears.

Seriously though why would you even contest that ticket jfc.

It's your right to make the state prove the offense, even if you did it. You obviously shouldn't lie in court though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can't he just change his plea and pay the fine?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Yeah I'm talking in kph, none of this magic moon numbers you Americans use :colbert:

Uh yeah it kind of is fair to expect people to check for traffic before they turn onto a road, especially one that's bigger than their rural driveway 50km outside of Golden. And again, I only ever drive that far over the limit in places where if someone did happen to turn onto the road, I would a) be able to see them from literally hundreds of meters away and b) therefore be able to tell if they're going to wait for me to get on the road or not.

I guess I'm just a little bit edgy about that kind of thing because I lived in a place with one of those slightly obscured driveways, and people would come screaming around the nearby corner at ungodly speeds pretty frequently. You could look all you wanted, but if someone was going 120 in the 80 zone (being on a popular motorcycle route, this was sadly common), there was still a risk that neither of you would see the other before it was too late.

EDIT: It's one of those things... everyone wants people to slow down in their neighbourhood, but no one (myself included, don't get me wrong!) wants to slow down elsewhere. Except where I live now... people drive too loving slow downtown and have no idea how to handle traffic.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 22, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PT6A posted:

Also, and this is the real elephant in the room: why in the gently caress were you doing 72 in a 45? I speed a decent amount when I'm driving, but near enough to 30 mph over the limit on anything but a limited access highway is really goddamn dumb and you're not going to get out of it.

In my defense, the road was pretty much empty and straight. And I was on my way to donate blood, so I was very nervous about that, so I wasn't really paying attention.

Plus a few miles down the road it went up to a 55.

Also I'm dumb, and pled not guilty because I can't afford to pay the ticket. Guess I should start saving.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

PT6A posted:

But, seriously, why were you going 60% over the posted speed limit? I usually cap myself at 10 over on the highway. Doing 72 in a 45 (roughly 115 in a 70, for non-US goons such as myself, I looked it up) is how people get killed. Not just from the speed itself, but from the differential in speed between you and the rest of the traffic.

Over here (in NZ) the road rule says you have to drive such that you can safely stop in the distance you can see in front of you (in addition to the speed limit). That's so the police can charge people going around tight curves at 100 kph (62mph) on the highway.

To be fair to the OP the speed limit setting is far from hard and fast and some roads will look like a 100 kph but be signposted 60kph, because politicians have a say in what the speed limit is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

In my defense, the road was pretty much empty and straight. And I was on my way to donate blood, so I was very nervous about that, so I wasn't really paying attention.

Plus a few miles down the road it went up to a 55.

Also I'm dumb, and pled not guilty because I can't afford to pay the ticket. Guess I should start saving.

:staredog: It's okay if you tell the judge you were nervous and not really paying attention I'm sure he'll understand.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alchenar posted:

:staredog: It's okay if you tell the judge you were nervous and not really paying attention I'm sure he'll understand.

I was paying attention to the road...just not my speedometer. Or to the side of the road that was mostly concealed by trees where the cop was, I guess.

And I'm still incredibly nervous, if that wasn't obvious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

HookShot posted:

You might think you are perfectly capable, but those people are expecting you to drive the speed limit. They see you 100 meters away and think "plenty of time to pull out," then you are on them in 3 seconds.

This morning I have a status conference in a case involving a guy just like you. Going 78 miles an hour in a 50. The lady was turning left, and he plowed into her, killing her. Now he's facing negligent homicide charges. When I asked him why he was going so fast, he said "I don't know. I didn't realize I was going that fast."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Look, friends, I am a superior human being and driver and know how to operate my vehicle in a fashion that is superior to the designs of all those silly engineers that the filthy Government hires to determine maximum safe driving speeds. You mere mortals would not understand my prowess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Look, friends, I am a superior human being and driver and know how to operate my vehicle in a fashion that is superior to the designs of all those silly engineers that the filthy Government hires to determine maximum safe driving speeds. You mere mortals would not understand my prowess.

Too bad torts are based on objective standards.

Oh wait your fake posting. It's hard to tell because I've had engineer clients that talk like that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

euphronius posted:

Too bad torts are based on objective standards.

This is why we need tort reform.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Torts replaced with subjective feelings regime.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Speed limits are based on getting votes.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was paying attention to the road...just not my speedometer. Or to the side of the road that was mostly concealed by trees where the cop was, I guess.

And I'm still incredibly nervous, if that wasn't obvious.

Honestly we're all assuming that when you say nervous you mean stupid. You did a thing. You can't get out of paying for it on some technicality, thats a TV myth. Your going to pay the fine. What you've done is made the likelihood that you go from paying a moderate fine to facing worse consequences. To bad if you mailed it in you can't get out of that now. Enjoy being "nervous" about how bad you're going to get hosed when you have your day in court and the cop shows up, gives you a glare of death and tells the judge he tried to cut you a break but your to stupid to take it.

In case your wondering why everyone is making fun of you, it is funny to see people make bad decisions based on stuff they "heard from that guy" or saw on tv. Basically in addition to paying for the mistakes you make like a grown up, you should also think a little bit before acting. Sometimes decisions are important and have consequences.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 22, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Call the court, change your plea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Not paying attention and ending up 10 over the limit is understandable, if still something you shouldn't be doing. You were 27 mph over the limit by your own admission; how long, exactly, weren't you paying attention for? If you don't have a decent idea of the speed your car is going because you're distracted, or nervous, or stupid, that's only one more reason why you shouldn't be going 27 mph over the speed limit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Begin countdown to the explanation that he was only distracted because of all the heroin he was transporting in his trunk.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I agree, I made a mistake by speeding, and I made another mistake listening to my parents advice to plead not guilty. I fully admit to being stupid. I didn't get the advice from TV or anything like that, though, I got it from people I trusted (one of whom is a retired cop) and apparently they were wrong, and now I'm on the verge of a panic attack because I need my car to get to work.

I've poo poo this thread up enough, I'm just going to try to change my plea and hope for the best; I've learned my lesson.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is incorrect.

You read the traffic engineeringvthread and the first thing they agree on is the speed limits are too low because they're set by politicans, not the traffic engineers.
None of this creates any legal defenses in most states, but there are some (California being one, sometimes), where you can challenge the legality of certain (but not all) posted speed limits if not backed up by a traffic engineering report.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

You read the traffic engineeringvthread and the first thing they agree on is the speed limits are too low because they're set by politicans, not the traffic engineers.
None of this creates any legal defenses in most states, but there are some (California being one, sometimes), where you can challenge the legality of certain (but not all) posted speed limits if not backed up by a traffic engineering report.

I meant is incorrect to think it's safe. My personal opinion is that cars are too dangerous to exist. My legal opinion is that everyone should slow the gently caress down and arrive alive.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Coffee And Pie posted:

I agree, I made a mistake by speeding, and I made another mistake listening to my parents advice to plead not guilty. I fully admit to being stupid. I didn't get the advice from TV or anything like that, though, I got it from people I trusted (one of whom is a retired cop) and apparently they were wrong, and now I'm on the verge of a panic attack because I need my car to get to work.

I've poo poo this thread up enough, I'm just going to try to change my plea and hope for the best; I've learned my lesson.

Please start exercising better judgement

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'm reminded of a friend-of-a-friend who was allegedly driving his Aston Martin down a surface street with an esplenade at like 130 and hit a curb. He initially told the police his car had been stolen, and when his parents found out they made him go back and revise his statement. All told I believe it was something like $40,000 between staying out of jail and fixing the car.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I meant is incorrect to think it's safe. My personal opinion is that cars are too dangerous to exist. My legal opinion is that everyone should slow the gently caress down and arrive alive.

Coffee And Pie, if I were the judge I'd sentence you to be HDD91's driver for as many days as you were miles over the speed limit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

joat mon posted:

Coffee And Pie, if I were the judge I'd sentence you to be HDD91's driver for as many days as you were miles over the speed limit.

Driving Miss Hot Dog, coming soon to a Walmart discount DVD bin near you.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Coffee And Pie posted:

tv, parents, "some guy" the whole cops don't show up you get out is mostly a myth. I mean it could happen, but a lot of police figured out that people figured that out, and they pay overtime or whatever. Or just make it a manditory part of the cops job. You could get lucky, but you are rolling dice. If the cop shows up, you may get in way more trouble. You did it, so pay the fine. If you don't have the money, then borrow it from your parents.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
In my jurisdiction, a plea can be changed at any time before the court date, you just have to go in to the clerk of courts and tell them you wanna change your plea.

I would change my plea to guilty because he cut you a huge break. You're guilty and you're caught fair and square. Own your error (note that in anything more serious than this you might consult an attorney and disregard what random internet stranger #99999999.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I love Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3MxAH-kDI