Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://bato.to/reader#9fb3b469cb72c49c_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat Yaoyorozu, so cool.

Aizawa definitely gave them a few openings, but it was a neat trick all the same. But I guess against two geniuses it isn't so much necessary to push them to improve as it is to fix what's holding them back from going 100%.

It doesn't look like any of the other teachers are going easy, though. I wonder why Anima looks the way he does if his quirk is just controlling animals?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I wonder why Anima looks the way he does if his quirk is just controlling animals?

Same reason (or same lack of reason) why Tokoyami looks the way he does despite his quirk being control of a shadow rather than "birds" per se.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Loved the role-reversal Shouto and Momo ended up in there, with him ending up as their Aizawa detector.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Far out All Might is so fuckin cool

:swoon:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If the announcement is indeed an anime my biggest question is how All Might is going to be animated.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That is not how spoilers work, "KpopStarz" "'Boku No Hero Academia' Chapter 64 Spoilers: All-Might Beats Deku And Bakugou To A Pulp!" This appear in the "news" at the top on google when looking for this chapter. Thanks guys :cheeky:

That being said, this chapter represents what I like about this manga: the author's determination to give everyone the spotlight. He's made a whole class of interesting characters that we want to get to know and he wants us to get to know them just as badly.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I wonder why Anima looks the way he does if his quirk is just controlling animals?[/spoiler]

He's a giant walking salt lick, that's how he controls the animals.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Avulsion posted:

He's a giant walking salt lick, that's how he controls the animals.

God drat it. That's brilliant.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fabricated posted:

If the announcement is indeed an anime my biggest question is how All Might is going to be animated.

Very heavily inked, with deliberate, flashy, quick movements.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I hope All Might is animated as if he was living within comic panels, i.e. Very little interstitial movement between poses.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tangent from this, but this discussion made me contemplate how neither of All Might's "forms" fit the art style of the series; both are heavily stylized, albeit in very different ways, so he stands out and doesn't fit in no matter what he's doing. His "weak" form is just as out of place as his "super" form.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 24, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Green Intern posted:

I hope All Might is animated as if he was living within comic panels, i.e. Very little interstitial movement between poses.

Exactly like the Marvel cartoons in the 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EvNYaeDdQU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Green Intern posted:

I had the same thought. They should just have him always in a pose. Not just a static figure moving around like in Inferno Cop, but just staging every scene All Might is in in a way that he is motionless.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

chumbler posted:

I had the same thought. They should just have him always in a pose. Not just a static figure moving around like in Inferno Cop, but just staging every scene All Might is in in a way that he is motionless.

I feel like that might take away from the impact of the moment during the villain attack at USJ where that actually happens and he can't move or else he'll skel-ify in front of the students.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

tlarn posted:

Exactly like the Marvel cartoons in the 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EvNYaeDdQU
Now I just want him to be like this. Cut-out mouth and all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxsZEZPkYE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TriffTshngo posted:

I feel like that might take away from the impact of the moment during the villain attack at USJ where that actually happens and he can't move or else he'll skel-ify in front of the students.

Only make him move When It Matters. That'll give it some dramatic heft

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

A smash cut to All Might every time he talks.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Green Intern posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHMLjOGPGM

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Mineta can pull an upset win over Midnight.
Either that, or he's about to get his grapes stomped.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been wondering, what is the sound effect supposed to be for when Yaoyorozu is shooting all the ribbon out of her chest? I am torn between wanting it to be some totally gross sound or the sound of a dot matrix printer.

Wait, do kids these days even know what a dot matrix printer is?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 25, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's the sound a measuring tape makes when you press the button and it all whoooshes back in.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Say Nothing posted:

I think Mineta can pull an upset win over Midnight.
Either that, or he's about to get his grapes stomped.

I honestly thought Sero and Mineta had a nice combo against Midnight. I don't fully know or remember the particulars of her power, but I do remember that a) it requires her to reveal her skin and b) it works off like scent or whatever. Sero and Mineta both have powers that can be used from afar, and both of them have the sort of sticky thing going on, so I was thinking they might try to subdue her from afar by tying her up or whatever. Granted, Midnight is still a pro and as we've seen there's a whole level of difference in terms of not just quirks but also physical capabilities between the pros and students.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I honestly thought Sero and Mineta had a nice combo against Midnight. I don't fully know or remember the particulars of her power, but I do remember that a) it requires her to reveal her skin and b) it works off like scent or whatever. Sero and Mineta both have powers that can be used from afar, and both of them have the sort of sticky thing going on, so I was thinking they might try to subdue her from afar by tying her up or whatever. Granted, Midnight is still a pro and as we've seen there's a whole level of difference in terms of not just quirks but also physical capabilities between the pros and students.

She emits knockout gas.

I think the idea there is probably to get them to realize how effective their Quirks can be. They need to be crafty and set up traps, not attack head-on. Mineta's powerballs are perfect for that but the guy just hasn't figured it out yet. Similarly, Sero's tape could be used in a lot of ways besides direct attacking, but so far all he's done with it is pretend to be Spider-Man.

These guys need to be Joseph, not Jotaro.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Somebody in the shounen general chat (I think it was Fabricated) said Hero Academia's strength was team battles and I have to say I agree. Not that the one-on-one fights are bad, but thus far it's really been the group efforts that have stolen the show and really dominated center stage. Gives the series a nice sense of identity when so many of its peers are all about the one-on-one.

Anyway, good chapter. I'm glad they added the rub that Momo can only create objects she understands on a fundamental level. Also interesting that Aizawa apparently has a cooldown on his ability that he doesn't want anybody to know about (unless I'm reading things wrong).

Enough wondering about Mineta though, how did Anima pass the entrance exam?

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 25, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Somebody in the shounen general chat (I think it was Fabricated) said Hero Academia's strength was team battles and I have to say I agree. Not that the one-on-one fights are bad, but thus far it's really been the group efforts that have stolen the show and really dominated center stage. Gives the series a nice sense of identity when so many of its peers are all about the one-on-one.

Anyway, good chapter. I'm glad they added the rub that Momo can only create objects she understands on a fundamental level. Also interesting that Aizawa apparently has a cooldown on his ability that he doesn't want anybody to know about (unless I'm reading things wrong).

He asked some friendly nearby bears to attack the robots for him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bad Seafood posted:

Turns out the robots were made by Dr. Robotnik.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I accept both of those responses.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Pretty sure Hands mentioned Aizawa's intervals between his power use during the USJ.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He was talking about Aizawa's hair getting in his eyes, which is likely the cover story Aizawa's adopted.

It's actually kinda brilliant. In his author's notes, Kohei describes Aizawa as someone who's lived their whole life according to the law of rationality...which doesn't seem to hold as much water when he keeps his hair long and unkempt and it's always getting in the way of his power. When I read that I immediately wondered why he didn't get a haircut, but if it's just how he hides the true limits of his power than it all makes sense.

Momo was able to escape in the previous chapter because Aizawa was still recharging from canceling out Todoroki's abilities.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi is pretty good at doing team battles and having peoples quirks have synergies, and thusfar he has managed to keep quirks pretty constrained in their power with their hard counters being impossible to ignore so under tough circumstances people have to get creative rather than just powering through with BURNING SHOUNEN SPIRIT.

One thing I wish would kinda be pointed out is how ridiculously important the power Midoriya has past just beating All For One (who honestly while having a really astoundingly dangerous ability doesn't seem like a dude who should really be a world-class threat).

Like, One For All gets stronger every time it's passed down. If you die the power dies with you, and if it keeps being passed on eventually whomever possesses it will quite literally be approaching a god. 8 holders from the first and you're already surpassing the realm of even the strongest heroes- what about another 100 years from now? The dude with One For All is literally going to be Saitama- they'll be so powerful they could literally change the entire world.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Momo was able to escape in the previous chapter because Aizawa was still recharging from canceling out Todoroki's abilities.

I'm pretty sure he cancelled out a bunch of different guys during the USJ fight by switchin between them real fast, though, so I'm not sure if the "cooldown after cancelling a person's powers" interpretation is correct.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
He took a couple of flashbangs to the face, he probably couldn't see straight afterwards.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure he cancelled out a bunch of different guys during the USJ fight by switchin between them real fast, though, so I'm not sure if the "cooldown after cancelling a person's powers" interpretation is correct.

I'll admit I'm leaning on FA's possibly loose translation, but assuming VIZ's handling of the line is similar, the implication seems pretty clear: Aizawa can't just seamlessly switch from one target to another. It may be a small window, maybe lengthening in response to how long he's stared at any one particular guy, but it's there and (likely) allowed Momo to free herself.

Even if I'm wrong though, I still think it would totally make sense for a character to keep the limitations of their power a secret. Especially someone like Aizawa. There's probably a lot more we have yet to learn about him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

He was talking about Aizawa's hair getting in his eyes, which is likely the cover story Aizawa's adopted.

Actually, Aizawa's hair rises up, anime-style, when he's using his power. I'm not even joking, his tell is that when he blinks and stops using his power, the anime hair-rising goes away. That's what Shigaraki was talking about; it was letting him know how often Aizawa was switching targets, and how often he was able to maintain his power was slowly going down as he was increasingly exhausted by his efforts. Hair covering his eyes doesn't matter for hiding his blinking, since his goggles already do that. (Tangent, in retrospect that's a lot more perceptive than I'd assume Shigaraki would be; when he's not throwing a temper tantrum he's apparently pretty clever.)

As for the recent decrease in ability, it's because his eyes and skull got hosed up at USJ, so it's harder for him to keep them open for extended periods of time. It's just lasting physical damage (eye strain and damage) impeding the use of his ability (which requires him to keep his eyes open). A lot more mundane than his hair weirdness, I'll admit.

Though, you might be right in that he probably has to blink to change targets, since, well, he does have to look at them to use his ability. At the least, he has to change his focus there.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 25, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Going back, I literally just noticed the hair thing. It seems to be pretty consistent up through the USJ attack.

Also I just realized that All Might's birthday is the same as my own. Cool. :thumbsup:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll admit I'm leaning on FA's possibly loose translation, but assuming VIZ's handling of the line is similar, the implication seems pretty clear: Aizawa can't just seamlessly switch from one target to another. It may be a small window, maybe lengthening in response to how long he's stared at any one particular guy, but it's there and (likely) allowed Momo to free herself.

Even if I'm wrong though, I still think it would totally make sense for a character to keep the limitations of their power a secret. Especially someone like Aizawa. There's probably a lot more we have yet to learn about him.

While it's not totally clear what he means, another interpretation of that could be "he can easily switch between targets at first, but as he gradually becomes more tired there's a growing pause between each person" (which would explain the "subsequent increase in inactivity intervals").

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Aizawa does not have to switch targets. When he turns his power on anyone in his line of sight has their quirk turned off. Aizawa has to keep his eyes open to keep the effect going,

Their plan in the chapter was Todoroki uses the attack that beat Sero during the instant he can use his ice when Aizawa blinks. They noticed due to his injuries from the Villain attack he could not keep his eyes open as long as he used to.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

kinmik posted:

Now I just want him to be like this. Cut-out mouth and all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxsZEZPkYE
Or Badly Animated Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4BOBkbjfvM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I thought he just gave her a break in order to give her some confidence back. He's still a teacher and getting his students to overcome their weakness is the real goal here.