Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i just read all of hamsun's novels and now i'm a nazi help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

guess the logical progression is to read mein kampf, speer's memoirs, handke(?) and houellebecq

edit: (?)unless I'm misremembering and there's some other controversial bloke who denied that the holocaust ever happened

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 14, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yeah, confused handke with david irving, sorry. handke is merely a milosevic apologist

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

And work your way through this list of lovely people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottbegnadeten_list#Authors

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

quote:

Hitler had high expectations of the Nobel Prize–winning author’s visit to the Berghof residence in the Bavarian Alps, and expected to find in Hamsun a kind of artistic equal. “I feel, if not completely, then very deeply connected to you,” the führer told his guest, “since my life resembles yours in certain ways.” Alas, eager as he was to discuss literature and art, Hitler was gradually enraged by Hamsun’s stubborn insistence on discussing politics instead, particularly certain details concerning the German occupation of Norway, about which Hamsun showed no fear in confronting Hitler. The meeting was a total disaster. When the Norwegian novelist left, Hitler exclaimed that he never wanted anyone like that to set foot in Berghof ever again. Little did he know that Hamsun had in fact spared him the final insult: as he drove away from the meeting, he complained to his German interpreter that “the man doesn’t suit our country. He is … uncultured.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hamsun really is an incredibly fascinating man.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

hamsun really is an incredibly fascinating man.

He really was a tough knut to crack

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I can appreciate that it is and sometimes my dumb brian sees the connections, there's just so many and trying to understand them all is, to a degree, like trying to get through a single wiki page while also clicking and reading every single linked article.

There's no wrong way to read it but I'm glad I read Gravity's Rainbow first with the companion. It lets me know how incredibly detailed his mind/writing is and helped me pick more out of subsequent books once I knew that these seemingly little things often have a lot of interesting meanings.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Where's a good place to start with Umberto Eco? Also, recommended titles by him?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I like Baudolino a lot. Don't be put off by the annoying letter in the very first pages of the novel, it gets very good quickly after that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding Baudolino. It's great, especially if you want something more out of the Middle Ages than just GOT.

The Name of the Rose is the more obvious recommendation, but it's a much headier work about the intellectual culture of the Middle Ages.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Name of the Rose is a fine start. My first Eco book was Foucault's Pendulum when I was fifteen. Don't do that.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He really was a tough knut to crack

seriously, though, he is like at the top of my list of people I want to read a biography about. I've got one that's pretty long in my sights, so it's a project for next summer most likely.

v. lenin: did you read Paa gjengrodde stier?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

seriously, though, he is like at the top of my list of people I want to read a biography about. I've got one that's pretty long in my sights, so it's a project for next summer most likely.

v. lenin: did you read Paa gjengrodde stier?

no that's actually the only one i didn't get, since i bought his collected works in the 1944 edition

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Name of the Rose is a fine start. My first Eco book was Foucault's Pendulum when I was fifteen. Don't do that.
I did that and it's still my favorite book. The great thing about this, Name Of The Rose and Baudolino is that they are really good stories even on surface level, without reading too much into them. Then you get to enjoy rereads that much more. The Prague Cemetery is also fairly simple by Eco standards.

Really, anything that isn't Isle of the Day Before or Mysterious Flame of Queen Loanna is a fine starting point.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's fun to read those two because they explore the exact same themes, but have radically different stories, so they're both extremely similar and extremely different.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Start with Foucault's pendulum imho

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And if you want the favourite parroted by goons, there's his essay Ur-Fascism.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Eco is cool but he doesn't really have a very good idea of what fascism is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A human heart posted:

Ur-Fascism is insanely simplistic but it's not wrong

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
foucault's pendulum is better because it features people bullshitting about how mickey mouse proves that jesus had a daughter

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I read Foucault's Pendulum first and The Name of the Rose soon thereafter. I'd probably recommend people read the latter first, though. Either way, read both.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

Not even fascists had a good idea of what fascism is.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
...is this a pro-fascism discussion?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not even fascists had a good idea of what fascism is.

that's because fascism was a terrible idea to begin with

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Fascism is good.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
No, I just read For Whom the Bell Tolls and basically fascists are bad.

But so are republicans/anarchists because sometimes they kill too many fascists.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
it tolls for thee

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm reading Life a User's Manual now, and I've learned a surprising amount about different puzzles within the first 100 pages

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

it tolls for thee

Uuuuh thanks buddy maybe I wanted to read it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I want to read Chinese literature, intending to start with Water Margin and Dream of the Red Chamber as I made a friend recently who owns a bookstore in China and he said those were the way to go. My feeble Western mind is having trouble figuring out the best way to buy these books, any tips?

Unrelated, he also told me that the most popular books in his store these days are Chinese translations of American classics. They really love Huckleberry Finn and Mark Twain in general, apparently.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 26, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

my bony fealty posted:

I want to read Chinese literature, intending to start with Water Margin and Dream of the Red Chamber as I made a friend recently who owns a bookstore in China and he said those were the way to go. My feeble Western mind is having trouble figuring out the best way to buy these books, any tips?

Unrelated, he also told me that the most popular books in his store these days are Chinese translations of American classics. They really love Huckleberry Finn and Mark Twain in general, apparently.

Every Chinese student I ever taught considers Dream of the Red Chamber the worst

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Did they say that because it's genuinely bad or because it's just one of those classics that they take for granted?

I've always wanted to check it out...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Every Chinese student I ever taught considers Dream of the Red Chamber the worst

The worst of the Chinese classics or just "the worst"?

Is there one they considered the best?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mira posted:

Did they say that because it's genuinely bad or because it's just one of those classics that they take for granted?

I've always wanted to check it out...

Its their version of The Scarlet Letter more or less in terms of loathing it because they were forced to read it young and just not connecting with it.

my bony fealty posted:

The worst of the Chinese classics or just "the worst"?

Is there one they considered the best?

Worst of the classics. To them its the slow one and meditative one where nothing much happens.

Journey to the West is pretty much their fav

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 25, 2022

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

IIRC the new translation of Jin Ping Mei is by a father-son team, which must have been interesting. Goons are sure to enjoy it, there's a bit where a guy is getting a bj and needs to piss so the girl tells him to piss in her mouth.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its their version of The Scarlet Letter more or less in terms of loathing it because they were forced to read it young and just not connecting with it.

Story of the Stone is mainly popular with women 40+. Don't forget that written Chinese back then was very different to now, even though it's not that old a book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just finished Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan and mark my words he will win the Nobel Prize one day

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
I'm several chapters into The Master and Margarita, as part of my family's book club. This happens to be my first crack at Russian literature and, to be honest, I guess I'm having some trouble with it. Or... if not trouble, it's just a lot more work than I expected, considering everybody says it's one of the more accessible pieces? Part of it is the Russian naming conventions, part of it is ignorance about the culture and time period, and a big part is that I feel like 80% of the "fun" is going over my head (the edition I'm reading has translator's commentary for each chapter at the end, but I've just stopped looking at it for now when it became less like reading and more like studying, and was really killing my momentum).

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for by posting this... maybe some advice on things to keep in mind or how to get the most out of it?

Edit: I picked up David Vann's "Goat Mountain" because of this thread Mel Mudkiper's insistence, and because it was on sale for 5bux at the bookstore.

Moacher fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Don't you think reading is studying?