Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'd take it in a heartbeat for the shorter commute alone.

Ditto.

Plus exciting projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You weren't looking for a new job because you wanted to stay at the current one!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You weren't looking for a new job because you wanted to stay at the current one!

Listen to this! Every time I've swapped jobs I've had the same thoughts as you do now "I know what I have, but what will I get? Maybe it'll be worse. :ohdear:".

Pack your bags and leave, Harriet. The marriage is over.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Waking up cleaning crew persons is always amusing. They're always "on break" too , like I care that they're sleeping. I just have no idea that they're going to be in there (lights are off) and always scare the poo poo out of them opening the door at 5:30 - 6:00 or whatever.

I've taken to knocking now but sometimes I'm at work 15 minutes after I woke up and don't think about it, or they're just in some random room in a rocking chair with an afghan blanket or something.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Westie posted:

poo poo pissing me off: indecisiveness.

So a :yotj: offer came in for a programming job. I've posted in this thread about it, but the new company froze recruitment for whatever reason for a month - and now they've come back at me with a revised offer.

Anyway, here's what this new place entails:
- 22 miles closer to home (which means about 44 miles less travelled in a day)
- 1k increase in salary (which, is nominal but what I wanted), increasing to 2k increase by the end of probation
- the technical director seems to be very, very clued up and is following most of the best practices, from what he was letting on
- exciting projects

And bad things about it:
- shorter lunch for the same amount of working hours :(

I'm in two minds. I want to go to this new place, but for some reason it's not pulling me away from my current job. Aaaaaargh, I hate decisions like this. Should I just grab it by the testes and go for it?

You are more than making up your time from the shorter lunch with the time saved commuting. Why NOT go for it?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Shorter lunch isn't that bad anyway. I regularly just eat at my desk and soldier on through it, for lack of anything better to do (Yes, i know I shouldn't).

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'd take it in a heartbeat for the shorter commute alone.

I would be so happy for a shorter commute. Even at the same amount of money I would jump on it to get an hour or two a day back.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Just move to Beaverton already.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stubblyhead posted:

Just move to Beaverton already.
Yeah, for real.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

MY WIFE doesn't want to.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Partycat posted:

Waking up cleaning crew persons is always amusing. They're always "on break" too , like I care that they're sleeping. I just have no idea that they're going to be in there (lights are off) and always scare the poo poo out of them opening the door at 5:30 - 6:00 or whatever.

I've taken to knocking now but sometimes I'm at work 15 minutes after I woke up and don't think about it, or they're just in some random room in a rocking chair with an afghan blanket or something.

Why the gently caress are people sleeping at work?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My work was actually next to all the clubs and show spots. If I went out to a show and because I started work at 5am, i'd just sleep in the nap room. A few other people who had my shift in the past would literally just wear PJs to work some days.

I don't know how the gently caress you manage to work somewhere so far that you've got a 22+ mile commute. But then again my commute is 8 miles and takes me 30 minutes or more.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 29, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It's almost like labelling ports is good practice. He should try it some time.

When I moved from a building where the network admin refused to label switchports with jack numbers to one where we meticulously inventoried all the descriptions on the switch ports to include the jack number and device name was amazing.

Going from every jack request requiring a trek across the building to maybe 5% requiring it if that jack had never been used before was mind blowing (there was a lot of jack activations because people got wired connections for their personal laptops and research groups moved around a lot)(at a University).

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Tigntink posted:

I don't know how the gently caress you manage to work somewhere so far that you've got a 22+ mile commute. But then again my commute is 8 miles and takes me 30 minutes or more.

It just depends on the area, I grew up in Washington DC commuter hell, where 50+ mile commutes aren't considered unusual.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
It was actually 22 miles closer. The route to my current job is 31 miles in one direction, which on most days I can do in 43 minutes.

The new one is like, 8 miles from my house or something like that. At 8am I can easily do that in 15 minutes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

stubblyhead posted:

:psyboom: Jesus Christ, the fact that no one questioned this, not even the patient, boggles the mind.

When I was getting radiation treatment I was lying there one time waiting to get zapped and over the PA I head the old Windows "ding" error sound. I said "please tell me this thing isn't controlled by a Windows machine" and they laughed because the culprit was the PC that does their patient scheduling.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The ticket kiosks for my local transit system run Windows 2000, so every once and awhile when something goes awry you hear the WIn 2k ding.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When I worked nights I'd usually just eat at my desk while working and burn my lunch hour taking a nap in the break lounge.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Westie posted:

It was actually 22 miles closer. The route to my current job is 31 miles in one direction, which on most days I can do in 43 minutes.

The new one is like, 8 miles from my house or something like that. At 8am I can easily do that in 15 minutes.

So that's 1h saved per day. At 2 weeks vacation, you're saving 250h/year. At $50/h, that's an extra $12,500/year. Take the new job.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FISHMANPET posted:

The ticket kiosks for my local transit system run Windows 2000, so every once and awhile when something goes awry you hear the WIn 2k ding.

My local petrol station uses a POS has ICQ sounds when processing transactions.

Every time I pay by credit card and hear it, I assume my card details have just been IMed to Russia.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

spog posted:

Every time I pay by credit card and hear it, I assume my card details have just been IMed to Russia.

I remember when ICQ was the defacto instant messenger for online gamers. Hell it basically was the UO whisper function.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
A bank in Belgium has ATMs that make sounds straight out of Windows 3.11 for withdrawals. It was rather unsettling the first time I withdrew money there.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was getting radiation treatment I was lying there one time waiting to get zapped and over the PA I head the old Windows "ding" error sound. I said "please tell me this thing isn't controlled by a Windows machine" and they laughed because the culprit was the PC that does their patient scheduling.

Are you familiar with the Therac-25?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My wife and I both remember our ICQ numbers from ~15 years ago. Mine is 9 digits, but hers is 8. She beat me!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

FISHMANPET posted:

My wife and I both remember our ICQ numbers from ~15 years ago. Mine is 9 digits, but hers is 8. She beat me!

3-4 years since I've logged into ICQ and I can rattle that number off instantly. Can I remember my old phone numbers? Nope.

8 Digits :smug:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Boogalo posted:

3-4 years since I've logged into ICQ and I can rattle that number off instantly. Can I remember my old phone numbers? Nope.

8 Digits :smug:
I can log into my ICQ account with *7* digits. :smug:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

spog posted:

I hear the "uh oh" at a lot of gas stations; it's the sound to remind the clerk to check ID for tobacco and alcohol and such.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

OK, we won't.

It is, though.

vibur posted:

I can log into my ICQ account with *7* digits. :smug:

I can log into mine with seven digits, the first digit being '1'.

:dukedog:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ConfusedUs posted:

I hear the "uh oh" at a lot of gas stations; it's the sound to remind the clerk to check ID for tobacco and alcohol and such.

I thought I was hearing that at convenience stores. That would explain why.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
6 digit ICQ number get wrecked nerds

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

go3 posted:

6 digit ICQ number get wrecked nerds

:smithicide:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I remember my number and my password. One of our secondary contractors wanted me to unblock ICQ so he could talk to his overseas development team, so I logged into my ancient ICQ account to make sure it wasn't being blocked by our firewall.

A few people I had friended from back in the day were still logging into it. God knows why.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Alarm fatigue is a real thing. In the two live site email aliases i'm on for my project, at which ALL of our watchdogs are pointed, I get about 1-2k emails a day. There's literally no way to filter those well enough to catch issues, you can only let the issue be brought to your attention then search the alerts from the last <x> time period

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

stubblyhead posted:

Are you familiar with the Therac-25?

I aware of that story before I started my therapy. I was pretty calm that first time until I noticed that the door to the room was very thick, like a bank vault, and as they hauled it shut I was the one that had to be on the inside of it. :smith:

Of course I was a little distracted by the process of first having my yarbles secured inside a lead clamshell.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Alarm fatigue is a real thing. In the two live site email aliases i'm on for my project, at which ALL of our watchdogs are pointed, I get about 1-2k emails a day. There's literally no way to filter those well enough to catch issues, you can only let the issue be brought to your attention then search the alerts from the last <x> time period

We had a major datacenter issue last friday. A bad power supply popped a breaker and then something something I dont know, but 2500 servers or thereabouts spontaneously rebooted.

Today event monitoring had finally dug deep enough into the pile of alarms to dispatch the ones for my systems to me, making me jump before I saw the open date on them. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stubblyhead posted:

:psyboom: Jesus Christ, the fact that no one questioned this, not even the patient, boggles the mind.

I have a serious problem with the tone of that article.

is described as a "dense screen" as if it's incomprehensible and easy to gently caress up. I have never looked at an Epic screen before, and I'm not a doctor, yet there are two numbers which are clearly labeled there and are clearly too high. The doctor working this only has to modify 2 values on that screen and it fired an alert, I don't think it's too much to ask them to confirm they're not about to kill somebody when they hit "Accept."

EDIT: It also says the pill-picker robot "breached" protections even though it was just doing what two medically trained professionals told it to. For fucks sakes, he don't have AI, computers do what we tell them to arghghghghg

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 29, 2015

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I'd agree the tone might be a little too "computers are evil", but that screen: yeah, it's easy to see when you know there's an issue to be found, and when you're sitting with time to spare reading it.
Imagine doing a bunch of those screens every day, while constantly interrupted, dragged around and whatnot, under high time stress. It happened, and going "obviously the persons should have caught it" is entirely pointless if you want to actually prevent the problem in the future.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I feel like a lot of lives could be saved if you had a bar at the bottom that compares "average dose" to "requested dose" and a popup that says "You are X% over the average dose, are you sure you want to request this?".

But I guess when you're a nurse on a 14 hour shift who has had to respond to false emergency alarms over 200 times today your patience and comprehension get a little dulled.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 29, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kujeger posted:

I'd agree the tone might be a little too "computers are evil", but that screen: yeah, it's easy to see when you know there's an issue to be found, and when you're sitting with time to spare reading it.
Imagine doing a bunch of those screens every day, while constantly interrupted, dragged around and whatnot, under high time stress. It happened, and going "obviously the persons should have caught it" is entirely pointless if you want to actually prevent the problem in the future.

It just seems like the author ignores the fact that people decided on the alerts thresholds and the requirements for the medications and all that, and blames "the computer" for letting this happen before they convened a committee to make changes.

I'm clearly oversimplifying my response to this but the crux of the article seems to be "The computer didn't try hard enough to stop people from making a mistake" while also decrying alarm fatigue.

EDIT: It also doesn't seem to even question the idea that doctors being this harried might be a bigger problem that can't simply be solved by ramming more technology into the process.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

dogstile posted:

Shorter lunch isn't that bad anyway. I regularly just eat at my desk and soldier on through it, for lack of anything better to do (Yes, i know I shouldn't).

Over 11 months as a field technician, I probably took lunch less than 20 times. With the amount of OT I was working, I had no desire to take another hour out of my day to sit around in Nebraska or Wyoming.