Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Manslaughter posted:

I feel like a lot of lives could be saved if you had a bar at the bottom that compares "average dose" to "requested dose" and a popup that says "You are X% over the average dose, are you sure you want to request this?".

But I guess when you're a nurse on a 14 hour shift who has had to respond to false emergency alarms over 200 times today your patience and comprehension get a little dulled.

Anyone in IT can probably sympathize with the alarm overload issue. I don’t know many people without a “worthless spam alerts” folder, usually because if there’s a 1/100 chance of something causing a real issue, management demands the other 99 times be logged as well so they can tell the c-levels they’re “doing something about the issue”.

Now picture that 1/100 killing someone, and imagine how great that’d be for your day to day stress levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm trying to do some file server maintenance, and I'm running into path length errors. Here's a small part of one path that's giving me problems:

...\math 10-c\...\math 10-c\...\applied math 10\applied math 10\math 10 applied\

The entire directory tree for this one user explodes into this mind-boggling mess that I don't think any living human can navigate or decipher.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Anyone in IT can probably sympathize with the alarm overload issue. I don’t know many people without a “worthless spam alerts” folder, usually because if there’s a 1/100 chance of something causing a real issue, management demands the other 99 times be logged as well so they can tell the c-levels they’re “doing something about the issue”.

Now picture that 1/100 killing someone, and imagine how great that’d be for your day to day stress levels.

The thing is, generally the automatic mail alerts are worthless, but if I'm actually doing something and a window pops up, I'll read it.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

The thing is, generally the automatic mail alerts are worthless, but if I'm actually doing something and a window pops up, I'll read it.

You wouldn't if you got 200 a day. I guarantee it.
And if you want to see less of them you get denied because they're some higher ups CYA.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Caconym posted:

You wouldn't if you got 200 a day. I guarantee it.
And if you want to see less of them you get denied because they're some higher ups CYA.
That's why client-side filters exist.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
I don't understand how the nurse didn't pick up on this insane dose.

My wife is a nurse and she knows/is supposed to know all of the drugs that she gives. She would pick up on this dosage in a heartbeat.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Over 11 months as a field technician, I probably took lunch less than 20 times. With the amount of OT I was working, I had no desire to take another hour out of my day to sit around in Nebraska or Wyoming.

I don't tend to take lunch, just eat while I work at my desk. I slack off enough throughout the day I see it as balancing out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

That's why client-side filters exist.

If it's alert windows, client-side filters aren't gonna do much. Just picture "UAC prompts every time you open any folder".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

diapermeat posted:

I don't understand how the nurse didn't pick up on this insane dose.

My wife is a nurse and she knows/is supposed to know all of the drugs that she gives. She would pick up on this dosage in a heartbeat.

Yes yes, we can all sit around with the benefit of being comfy in our armchairs and say "well :siren:I:siren: would have done it like this", but the point of the loving article is that you do not always have that benefit because there are times when everything around you is loving your thought processes up.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Weatherman posted:

Yes yes, we can all sit around with the benefit of being comfy in our armchairs and say "well :siren:I:siren: would have done it like this", but the point of the loving article is that you do not always have that benefit because there are times when everything around you is loving your thought processes up.

There was an article awhile back about people who leave babies in cars, and one of the things that stood out to me was the thought "if you've ever forgotten your keys or your phone, you can forget your baby". People's brains are not built for multitasking, they're built for prioritizing and discarding. "Multitasking" is just what we call it when we have the ability to maybe possibly recall some of what we discarded.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Another thing that I'm wondering about is that the initial dosage was 193mg/tablet or 5mg/kg, which of course they didn't have. So they got the permission to change it to 160 mg/tablet. The alert that popped up indicated it was an overdose even though the original issue is that the only available tablets were 17% smaller than the dosage the computer wanted. Though the article doesn't say if there are popups for underdoses, an overdose popup when changing to something that's supposed to be less than what the computer wanted should have also prompted her to rethink what she had just done.

Alarm fatigue and how much stress / time pressure both doctors and nurses are under is a very real problem that needs attention so it's bizarre how much emphasis that series puts on technology itself being the culprit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rhymenoserous posted:

When I worked nights I'd usually just eat at my desk while working and burn my lunch hour taking a nap in the break lounge.

Waiting to download the latest build we'd often take a nap at our desk at 3 in the morning.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I hope we can figure out how to make the alerts from that dosage program more precise to the point where we won't have to reconsider making health care workers suffer through super stressful 14 hour shifts.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Waiting to download the latest build we'd often take a nap at our desk at 3 in the morning.

My last job had rooms to sleep in and a shower room. Who cares as long as you get your work done?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

poo poo pissing me off: our maintenance guy.

Six months ago we bought a TV for one of our offices. First he wouldn't stop complaining that I bought a Vizio instead of a Samsung or Panasonic or whatever the hell his favorite TV brand was. I don't care about how vibrant or reliable your TV is, man. This is going to be used for powerpoints a couple times per month.

Since they wanted it wall mounted, I just went to Amazon and ordered the most popular mount that wasn't super cheap or too expensive. I think it was this one. I figured it was ok since TVs these days are only like 30 pounds and that's rated for 150+. Mounting things to the wall is deemed a maintenance job so I passed it along to him and let him handle it.

Over the next week I got to hear from him probably five times about how much he hated that mount. Apparently it's the shittiest mount he's ever seen, it's impossibly difficult to install, and it's probably not going to be able to support the weight of this TV. Ok, that's fine. I probably should have consulted with him before purchasing because I don't know much about those things and he was the one actually working with it. All he has to do is say "hey, that mount had a lot of problems so in the future can we buy a different model?" one time though. I don't need to be scolded over and over about how bad of purchase it was. I told him in the future we'll spend more money on a mount and I'll run them by him first, and I figured that would be the end of it.

Fast forward to today. I'm in a budgeting meeting with the CEO, maintenance guy, my supervisor, and about five other management-level guys in regards to a new office we're setting up. The CEO asks me how much a new TV and a wall mount costs. I told her $60 for the mount, thinking to myself that should be enough to buy whatever industrial-strength mount he wants to get. But of course he looks at me and says "can we buy a better mount than the last time we put a TV up? Cause that one was terrible". And given the circumstances I'm not really in a place to defend myself when the CEO asks me "did you buy a lovely mount last time?" in her best "I don't have time for this" voice. :bang:

The icing on the cake was he then said "I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus!" Oh ok then, thanks a lot. Getting called out in front of every superior I have over some inconsequential thing six months ago is exactly how I wanted to end my work day. :what:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nvm

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 30, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When I worked in Broadcasting we had both a nap-room in one of the old bomb shelters in the basement and a nice soft couch in the largest studio control room. I've been woken by the cleaning people more than once when I pulled an all-night upgrade or fix on that X9720 I've ranted about before.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

RFC2324 posted:

My last job had rooms to sleep in and a shower room. Who cares as long as you get your work done?
I was so drat excited to find out that my last office had a gym. This'll be great!

Never used it. Not once. loving idiot, me.

Hell if you want to get technical-but-not-even-technical about it, I've worked at home for the last two years, and your home is by nature a gym, and welp, I'm still just as much an idiot.

RFC2324 posted:

I don't tend to take lunch, just eat while I work at my desk. I slack off enough throughout the day I see it as balancing out.
Oy! Be careful with that talk around here, someone will pop up with stories about how you're being taken advantage of and largely responsible for the plight of the American worker.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Inspector_666 posted:

It just seems like the author ignores the fact that people decided on the alerts thresholds and the requirements for the medications and all that, and blames "the computer" for letting this happen before they convened a committee to make changes.

I'm clearly oversimplifying my response to this but the crux of the article seems to be "The computer didn't try hard enough to stop people from making a mistake" while also decrying alarm fatigue.

EDIT: It also doesn't seem to even question the idea that doctors being this harried might be a bigger problem that can't simply be solved by ramming more technology into the process.

Agreed.

It does point out a few places in the article that the overworked/harried nurses and doctors is a real problem, and that they've (at this particular institution) actually done some things to improve this, such as moving some workers away from the busiest places, and started shielding others from e.g. phone calls. But it's almost certainly nowhere near enough.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

wa27 posted:

A thing with maintenance
Hey, computer dude. I got this OpenOffice thing and I need you to install it. Yeah I know the rest of the company is using Word but I got this because it's free and it's exactly the same, right?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

wa27 posted:

TV mounts

No excuse for that dude to be lovely about that, but man, working with bad monitor mounts sucks. If you've got the budget for them, got to B&H and order whatever Chief brand mount fits your monitor. They're not cheap (150ish-200 retail depending on size and if you need it to tilt or not) but gently caress, they are the Rolls Royce of mounts. We've put in 100+ in the last year and they are just the easiest to work with of anything we've used.

Something like this:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/ltm1u

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gunjin posted:

No excuse for that dude to be lovely about that, but man, working with bad monitor mounts sucks. If you've got the budget for them, got to B&H and order whatever Chief brand mount fits your monitor. They're not cheap (150ish-200 retail depending on size and if you need it to tilt or not) but gently caress, they are the Rolls Royce of mounts. We've put in 100+ in the last year and they are just the easiest to work with of anything we've used.

Something like this:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/ltm1u

$20 Monoprice mounts. I swear by them.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6421

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There was an article awhile back about people who leave babies in cars, and one of the things that stood out to me was the thought "if you've ever forgotten your keys or your phone, you can forget your baby". People's brains are not built for multitasking, they're built for prioritizing and discarding. "Multitasking" is just what we call it when we have the ability to maybe possibly recall some of what we discarded.

My consulting boss from $AWFUL_JOB he thought he was the greatest multitasker ever. Several times I'd drive with him to work and he'd be on two phone calls (fighting with his wife and a client) while driving a stick shift in NYC traffic. It was terrifying.

During meetings he'd just be diddling on his computer, and he'd drift out, he call me and then tell me wait and I'd be sitting there for ten minutes and then just eventually hang up. It was awful.

One day he called us into a meeting and said "listen, everyone keeps telling me I need to stop multitasking, but I want to make it clear that I know I'm great at it, but since it makes all of you uncomfortable, I'll stop doing it in front of you."

It was the weirdest meeting I've ever been on (even including being handed the burrito).

Wait, no, weirdest meeting is when I had given notice and had a few days left and they told a customer they were firing me to save face with the customer when they had me be the fall guy for a project going pear shaped.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

We have a few hundred projectors, and cheap monoprice mounts are among the best I've seen. My predecessor was buying ~$150 mounts, where the weight of the projector would ruin the threads on the mounting screws, so after a few months they'd all start hanging crooked. They weighed less than 10 pounds, so it's not like they were big, either.

Sub ~20 monoprice mounts are built like a brick, and hold them way better.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
It's hard to forge pig iron wrong.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Wait, no, weirdest meeting is when I had given notice and had a few days left and they told a customer they were firing me to save face with the customer when they had me be the fall guy for a project going pear shaped.

Sounds like libel to me.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

This times 1000000. Small sample set, but I've ordered and used probably 20-25 of them for various friends/family, from "mount my monitor to the wall" to "hang a 55" tv" and everywhere in between. They're always solid, well built, and easy to work with. Nothing but happy. And, they are cheap.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sage software.

gently caress
YOUR
MOTHER

Signed,
Dick Trauma, enjoying the upgrade experience

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

Sage software.

gently caress
YOUR
MOTHER

Signed,

Co-signed,
EVERYBODY, EVER, IN EVERY DEPARTMENT

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it wrong to tell people to took at my calendar for availability?

I don't care to type I'm free from 8:30 to 10, 12:30 to 1:30 and 3:30 to 4:30 but oh wait my 12:30 just got booked...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

Sounds like libel to me.

So here's the anecdote.

We were doing a huge project, it was just out of the scope of what we could do. I can't go into the specifics, but it was replacing a large communication system across multiple locations, and it was just out of control.

I was tasked with figuring out what the old system did and duplicating it. I asked for list of requirements from the customer, but my boss just kept saying "just go and look at the old system and copy it". Well the old system was half broken, and not functional, so I couldn't. Also it related to life safety, so I could just go to the console and sit in front of it and push buttons to see what it did.

For months I begged the boss/PM for some documents from the client on what it needs to do but he kept telling me no, just figure it out.

I give notice, and then in my last week I had a meeting with the client to demo some functions, and the client quite reasonably said "ok, everyone pull out your project checklist, lets start at 1-A" . I did not have a project check list. The client rightly flipped out. "How could you possibly be configuring this with out this document?"

I told him to please wait, and I walked to the boss/PM's office and asked what gives? And he started yelling at me "I'VE EMAILED THAT TO YOU MONTHS AGO HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE IT WHAT THE HELL!" I asked him to show me the email, and then I said "I've asked you a hundred times for this document and you've always said you didn't have it. I have a ton of emails from you saying we don't have anything like that. So even if I missed your email why didn't you remind me?"

He started yelling about how I've checked out of the job since I'm leaving and i'm just screwing them blah blah blah. I was basically responded like this

And just went back to my desk.

He went to the client and told them that they didn't give me the project plan because they were going to fire me Friday and didn't want to leak the projects documentation.

Whatever.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

wa27 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: our maintenance guy.

The icing on the cake was he then said "I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus!" Oh ok then, thanks a lot. Getting called out in front of every superior I have over some inconsequential thing six months ago is exactly how I wanted to end my work day. :what:

Man that was prime time to defend yourself, gently caress him. I spent probably something like £50 on a wall mount and the TV wouldn't quite fit as there was a shaped plastic protrusion on the back which would butt against the wall, solved by using longer bolts. Even after all the hullabaloo with it nobody even wanted to use the thing in the end, but even so a wall bracket is just a few pieces of steel and bolts... so gently caress that guy for throwing you to the lions for peanuts.

Dick Trauma posted:

Sage software.

Credit Control "Oh no! Sage Accounts suddenly is stuck trying to sync data! Help!"
Me "Sage is hosted from our account managers laptop, and she doesn't want me to get it migrated to a VM on the server, thems the breaks she probably turned it off or is messing around"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dick Trauma posted:

Sage software.

gently caress
YOUR
MOTHER

Signed,

Sage is so unpleasant that the msp I work for contracts someone else just to do that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Sage software.

gently caress
YOUR
MOTHER

Signed,

Sage software as in the Sage Software located in Georgia?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bigass Moth posted:

Sage is so unpleasant that the msp I work for contracts someone else just to do that.

The mother loving or the upgrading?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Why the gently caress are people sleeping at work?

Third shift maintenance people? They just... are done doing whatever, or weren't going to be doing it anyways.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Sage software.

gently caress
YOUR
MOTHER

Signed,

Oh no, you did the R2016 upgrade didn't you. My eye is twitching right now.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

He went to the client and told them that they didn't give me the project plan because they were going to fire me Friday and didn't want to leak the projects documentation.

Whatever.

gently caress this and gently caress them.

Your reputation as an IT worker can follow you around and if there are people sitting around drinking beers after work saying, "Remember that guy who was working on that thing and he was out of the loop because they were going to fire him? What was his name? SIR FAT JONY something? I wonder what HE did to get fired..."

Then life moves on and you interview somewhere else and lo and behold, someone in NewCompany recognizes your name from OldCompanyClient and says, "I remember that guy! He was getting fired!"

That poo poo cannot stand.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
La de da, just working on the ol' maintenance backlog. Start looking at and older story but it checks out. Email the requester for some clarification and started this epic email chain

:): You requested to add a new value to this status enumeration. But it looks like in the edit form, the statuses that appear in the dropdown are based on the previous status. Should I make the new status type available to any previous status like Ordered or Assigned or should it be restricted?
:v:: Yes. This would be a new status to be added to the drop down list already present
:): Right, but the dropdown on the Change Status form changes based on what the previous status was. Should the new status type be selectable, regardless? Or should it only be an option if the previous status was something like Ordered or Installed (for example)?
:v:: That is kind of a rhetorical question since a thingy can't be in the system unless it is ordered first. So, I suppose yes…so long as ordered has been chosen at some point first.

ffs... at this point I say gently caress it and just make the new status available regardless. Go ahead and make the code changes in the necessary places. Push to TFS and create a pull request.

Later, I get an update that the ticket has been updated... which is odd since I'm still waiting on the code review. Check the ticket...

:v:: I need to be able to update this ticket to add some additional changes that are needed: 1) original change 2) completely unrelated change 3) total rewrite of another unrelated system 4) add new reportable fields in the original change, requiring a DB schema change and more rewrites.

:suicide:

Totally gonna close the ticket and tell her to create 3 new tickets, but this is what I get for trying to interact with The Business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I should note that the user emails are verbatim. System names have been changed to protect the innocent.