Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/10/will-the-sixth-game-of-thrones-book-be-out-before-the-new-season

This is so naive it loving hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
You long suffering fans are so jaded. I fear for your mental well being :ohdear:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ShaqDiesel posted:

You long suffering fans are so jaded. I fear for your mental well being :ohdear:

jaded in which way? sour at five year release dates? growing up and realizing how much old man slobber goes into his khaleesi?

so many kinds of jaded, you need to specify

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

syscall girl posted:

jaded in which way? sour at five year release dates? growing up and realizing how much old man slobber goes into his khaleesi?

so many kinds of jaded, you need to specify

All of it. All of the jade.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol people are still waiting for more asoiaf

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If the show never happened do you think we'd have ever seen Dance With Dragons?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

I wouldn't have

just wanted to read/see Joffrey die after Ned's head

the purple wedding was actually pretty horrifying in both versions and made me feel bad about myself

so everything worked out great :toot:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I think by now we would have. It may have even been finished.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Is the book out yet?

Also, this is a far better thread title IMHO:

TommyGun85 posted:

Bad Pussy and the Anals

Captures the essence of the book *and* the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is a serious thread for serious posters. I don't think a pussy joke is suitable for it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to write a page long post about the smell and girth of gurm's poo poo filled dick.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I was in the book shop today and saw the new book. The Thingy Knight, dunno if it's more than one of the tales, 'twas in hardback and had illustrations. I'd've spoilered that but, frankly, who thinks the books coming out anytime soon this decade at all before he dies, really?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

rejutka posted:

I was in the book shop today and saw the new book. The Thingy Knight, dunno if it's more than one of the tales, 'twas in hardback and had illustrations. I'd've spoilered that but, frankly, who thinks the books coming out anytime soon this decade at all before he dies, really?

That's not the question, really, but rather how many of us will wish it hadn't been released after reading it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

rejutka posted:

We will see the next book before the end of the TV show, regardless of whether he dies or not ( publisher will ship something by the end of show no matter what ) . I think we will see it in early 2017 before or during S7. But I never expected to read ADWD, so I've been wrong before!

The real question is if we will ever see Rickon again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

kcroy posted:

Show? Yes. Book? Maybe, probably not while Gurm's alive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rejutka posted:

Well then I will be the first to say George Lucas/ George R R Martin similarities. Both of them sayin' goodbye to the franchise.

Well, George gets more money.

GURM is more like Roddenberry where he is obsessed with weird sex poo poo and isn't nearly as good a writer as he thinks he is. George Lucas is a terrible writer as well, but he is also a good human being who donated all the money he made off of the disney sale to charity.

GURM is just an absolute fucker.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

GURM is more like Roddenberry where he is obsessed with weird sex poo poo and isn't nearly as good a writer as he thinks he is. George Lucas is a terrible writer as well, but he is also a good human being who donated all the money he made off of the disney sale to charity.

GURM is just an absolute fucker.

I don't really think you can use the word "writer" in any traditional sense in the case of George Lucas.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

kcroy posted:

We will see the next book before the end of the TV show, regardless of whether he dies or not ( publisher will ship something by the end of show no matter what ) . I think we will see it in early 2017 before or during S7. But I never expected to read ADWD, so I've been wrong before!

Still July 2017 release date from the publishers.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kcroy posted:

We will see the next book before the end of the TV show, regardless of whether he dies or not ( publisher will ship something by the end of show no matter what )

I've said it before, but I sincerely doubt he's still under contract. He originally signed for a trilogy, after all. It's unlikely his publisher can print anything without his permission.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Is the new book out yet?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Nah, he's putting his name to a line of reinforced toilets for the larger man.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Is the new book out yet?

I just got back from a conference in Vegas. Nobody was taking bets.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amoeba102 posted:

Still July 2017 release date from the publishers.

That sounds about right to me. Whats funny is that is probably their "drop dead" date, and they thought "no matter what, we CANT go past this date, so lets post that one"... as if they had learned nothing from years of working with the GRRM.

mossyfisk posted:

I've said it before, but I sincerely doubt he's still under contract. He originally signed for a trilogy, after all. It's unlikely his publisher can print anything without his permission.

I think he had to deliver some pages for a milestone payout. Quoting from a pretty cool article.

http://watchersonthewall.com/a-scientific-guess-at-george-r-r-martins-progress-on-the-winds-of-winter/

quote:

Next up, we have GRRM’s editor Anne Groell’s May 2014 Suvudu interview where she stated that GRRM sent her a 168 manuscript page partial in February 2013 to receive a contracted payment. This was the 1st batch of manuscript pages that GRRM sent to his editors since A Dance with Dragons.

edit: highlights of that article:

quote:

Here’s what I’ll call the Super Pessimistic Prediction: If The Winds of Winter will be 1500 manuscript pages and George was at 375 manuscript pages, and he keeps his 204 new manuscript pages/year pace for 2012 going, we can suppose that George currently has ~783 manuscript pages of The Winds of Winter currently complete with an expected completion date of early-to-mid 2019.

quote:

...here’s the height of optimism data point: If George was able to write at his 2010 height and complete 374 new manuscript pages, he’d be at ~1200 total finalized manuscript pages by March 2015 with an expected completion date of around January-February 2016

quote:

If you cornered me, put a gun to my head and told me to tell you how many completed manuscript pages are done for The Winds of Winter, I’d probably say that George is just north of 1000 manuscript pages with an expected completion date of late 2016 to early 2017. I think the average pace of 287 manuscript pages/year that George wrote between 2008 and 2010 is probably a good data point. If George had 1350 pages to write from the end of A Dance with Dragons, 287 average manuscript pages per year would have George finishing The Winds of Winter in early 2017.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 3, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Is the new book out yet?

yes actually.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

kcroy posted:

yes actually.

Hahaha you actually got me excited that a new Dunk and Egg had come out but nope! Just a collection of previously printed stories.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I still think it is pretty much done and will be out before the next series of the show and will be awesome and will have King Rickon riding on a unicorn with an army of cannibals sweeping across the continent eating everyone.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Skagosi unicorns are just wooly pygmy rhinos or something like that.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Hahaha you actually got me excited that a new Dunk and Egg had come out but nope! Just a collection of previously printed stories.
I was looking forward to reading them and then it turned out they were pretty meh. I wonder if the rest of ASoIaF were as mediocre or if the Dunk and Egg stories were deliberately written in a more standard fairy tale/children's story style. The short story format made it seem super Villain of the Week-y and Duncan is basically a bumbling idiot who lucks into everything.

Also holy poo poo does GRRM like to repeat stupid rhymes and catch phrases ad nauseum. And inject the occasional anachronistic word in the laziest attempt at world building imaginable.
... Maybe reading all five ASoIaF books back-to-back gave me Stockholm syndrome.

e. \/
That's what I mean. Dunk and his undercover Targaryen squire just happen to wander in to a low rent wedding tournament/secret Blackfyre Rebellion staging area. Dunk never seems particularly impressive other than that he's big, and yet he keeps winning duels.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 3, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm of the opinion that all three dunk and egg novellas are actually pretty awesome. And in the third novel Dunk doesn't really luck into anything other than the tourney itself, Egg reveals himself to lord buttersomething and Bloodraven in disguise tells Dunk exactly what he should do next.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm of the opinion that all three dunk and egg novellas are actually pretty awesome. And in the third novel Dunk doesn't really luck into anything other than the tourney itself, Egg reveals himself to lord buttersomething and Bloodraven in disguise tells Dunk exactly what he should do next.

The second novel he doesn't really luck into anything so much as by being the obstinate good-hearted fool he is he inspires the less-lovely characters to fix their own problems while, as is tradition, he lies unconscious somewhere after losing a fight.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
He's basically Brienne except he stumbles into improbable victories instead of getting his face eaten off.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

D&E taught me everyone is a secret targ.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Skagosi unicorns are just wooly pygmy rhinos or something like that.

I could dig it.

*edit*

Also, I know when Tyrion and Co. teleported, but where did he time travel?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 4, 2015

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Hello thread.

I'm looking for a screenshot of GRRM lecturing a fan due to her finding Sandor attractive instead of 'poor loyal Samwell Tarly' does anyone know what I'm talking about?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

The Libearian posted:

Hello thread.

I'm looking for a screenshot of GRRM lecturing a fan due to her finding Sandor attractive instead of 'poor loyal Samwell Tarly' does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Can't find the screenshot but I remember the conversation so here's a link to the actual exchange instead:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/103284.html?thread=7002740

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

Can't find the screenshot but I remember the conversation so here's a link to the actual exchange instead:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/103284.html?thread=7002740

MOOD: FRIENDZONED

EDIT: It's like you can see the exact moment he decided to kill the Hound

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 5, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love that we're talking a possible 2017 release for not even the last book in the series. People like to joke about WoW never coming out but I think it's simple fact that A Dream of Spring will literally never come out.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

My sweet summer child, the dream of spring is dead.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

glad I could raise and then dash your hopes!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kcroy posted:

EDIT: It's like you can see the exact moment he decided to kill the Hound

Like four years earlier?

I jest
GET
HYPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Like four years earlier?

I jest
GET
HYPE.

Lol if you think GRRM has only time-traveled once.