Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

MG AGE-1 is a god drat marvel.

MG AGE-1 Titus and Spallow are just meh.

I like the HG Titus. It's so macho looking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The MGs have been described as practically upscaled versions of the HGs!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, who has IBO kits so far, and how've you found them?

I still have to get through my G-Reco backlog, but the Tekketsu designs sure look appealing.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Darth Walrus posted:

I still have to get through my G-Reco backlog, but the Tekketsu designs sure look appealing.

I have the Barbatos and Graze and they are beautiful. Buy them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

I have the Barbatos and Graze and they are beautiful. Buy them.

How's the stability on the Graze? Those small feet and big butt-thrusters do not give me confidence.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone has the 1/100s: do you have to paint the red on Barbatos and yellow on the graze?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Droyer posted:

If anyone has the 1/100s: do you have to paint the red on Barbatos and yellow on the graze?

the preorders i have for them on hlj haven't been filled yet, so i dunno if they're out?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Gundam Guy's previews show sticker sheets for both the 1/100 and 1/144 versions that cover that issue.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

How's the stability on the Graze? Those small feet and big butt-thrusters do not give me confidence.

The Graze is surprisingly incredibly stable.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Gundam Guy's previews show sticker sheets for both the 1/100 and 1/144 versions that cover that issue.

geez that's a lot of stickers. Makes me kind of apprehensive about getting it honestly

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

geez that's a lot of stickers. Makes me kind of apprehensive about getting it honestly

Well hey it's no Rozen Zulu.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

Well hey it's no Rozen Zulu.

well i wasn't gonna get that one anyway 1/100 or bust

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I heard that they are using internal skeletons for HG gundams. Is that true? If so which ones?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All of IBO for one thing. And lately, even HGUC has been getting pseudo skeletons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I heard that they are using internal skeletons for HG gundams. Is that true? If so which ones?

It's the new thing for the IBO line. All of them do it.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The fact that the 1/100 Barbatos still does not have yellow shoulder vents is offensive.

signalnoise posted:

All of the IBO kits so far have internal frames. Gundams use their own time, Grazes use their own time, and suits with Hyaku at the start use their own frame. Time will tell if the frogs also have their own frames.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

I got the Schwalbe Graze and immediately decided I'm gonna buy all the Grazes

Darth Walrus posted:

ridiculously stable. it's very light and the joints on the skeleton are super solid. The feet have small contact area with the ground, but the contact points on each foot are placed really well for solid footing

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Darth Walrus posted:

My Schwalbe Graze just came in the mail today, and I'm waiting on a Graze Kai!

The price of the stock Graze went way down on Amazon within the past week, so that one might be worth picking up too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Woah man, if there isn't a 1/100 Graze Kai they gotta make one. I usually don't go for the "angular fighter jet ballerina" aesthetic but it speaks to the filthy ground type lover in me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Lady posted:

My Schwalbe Graze just came in the mail today, and I'm waiting on a Graze Kai!

The price of the stock Graze went way down on Amazon within the past week, so that one might be worth picking up too.

It's definitely worth it. The base Graze has nice colors and more thruster options than the other two kits.

But with the Graze, so far there's no wrong option.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Note to self: stop buying plamo kits and start assembling plamo kits:

:negative:

(Not pictured: the HG Origin Tri-Stars Zaku II and Z'Gok-E currently in the mail, and the MG Victory 2 and Graze on preorder.)

thats so cute.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A club member got the MG Freedom in the group order, so I took a look at the manual. First off, I had no idea that BEECRAFT did the concept art for MG Freedom.

Second off, drat they really screwed up the transition to plastic. There's a world of difference between this and the MG Force Impulse four years later.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

A club member got the MG Freedom in the group order, so I took a look at the manual. First off, I had no idea that BEECRAFT did the concept art for MG Freedom.

Second off, drat they really screwed up the transition to plastic. There's a world of difference between this and the MG Force Impulse four years later.

What's so bad? Serious question, I have a tough time comparing print to plastic subtle differences. Which is part of why I shy away from scratch building and customization.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

thats so cute.

You should post your backlog, then. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
biiiiiiiiitch prepare to lose, but not as much as me

81 total
Used to be 100ish but i may have finally built some to get it down.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 17, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I still don't understand the lack of a MG Remaster Freedom Gundam. It seemed so obvious considering they remade Strike and did all the GAT-X suits. They probably could have even used a lot of its inner frame to make a MG Justice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

What's so bad? Serious question, I have a tough time comparing print to plastic subtle differences. Which is part of why I shy away from scratch building and customization.

The head on the MG is ginormous, the proportions on the details of the torso (collar, round thing, vents) are messed up, the waist is stretched out, the shoulder thrusters are less prominent, the front skirt armor is oversized, the knee armor isn't as long as it should be, and the height of the feet was cut. Pretty much the only thing that looks about right are the wings, though even they seem just a bit chunkier than they should be.

MG Freedom doesn't look bad or anything, I just have no idea how they thought that was an acceptable translation of the lineart. Compare:

Which, aside from a more sunken cockpit, stretched out clown feet, enlarged side skirt armor (and to be fair on that one, the folding knives are a tight enough fit as is), and oversized beam sabers is pretty much impeccable.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

biiiiiiiiitch prepare to lose, but not as much as me

:staredog:

At least I know it's physically impossible for me to have a backlog that big because there would be no space to put the kits where I live!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The head on the MG is ginormous, the proportions on the details of the torso (collar, round thing, vents) are messed up, the waist is stretched out, the shoulder thrusters are less prominent, the front skirt armor is oversized, the knee armor isn't as long as it should be, and the height of the feet was cut. Pretty much the only thing that looks about right are the wings, though even they seem just a bit chunkier than they should be.

MG Freedom doesn't look bad or anything, I just have no idea how they thought that was an acceptable translation of the lineart. Compare:

Which, aside from a more sunken cockpit, stretched out clown feet, enlarged side skirt armor (and to be fair on that one, the folding knives are a tight enough fit as is), and oversized beam sabers is pretty much impeccable.

Thanks. I can see it better when it's pointed out but can't really spot it myself.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:staredog:

At least I know it's physically impossible for me to have a backlog that big because there would be no space to put the kits where I live!

As long as Bimmi and I are here none of you have to worry about the worst backlog.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The worst part about that backlog is, a plan old HG can take some weeks to finish, after assembly, prime and painting. But those RGs, because of how fiddly they are, you're talking months each maybe. Assuming you only get a few minutes each day to work on.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The key is to have so many you give up on painting all of them and just straightbuild.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The key is to have so many you give up on painting all of them and just straightbuild.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I only paint some of the kits I build, because most of them I would just be painting to look like they do out of the box but better and that's not super interesting unless I like the model a TON.

If you leave nubs on anything you're a monster, though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

backlog of +10 but gently caress it I'm painting them all.

I also realized that I was an idiot before and only had one kitchen board drilled with holes for parts painting. I could do about 25-30 pieces at once.

I finally smartened up and got 2 more boards. My progress on model kits has gone way faster. God drat I was an idiot.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I've decided to limit my Gunpla entirely to RGs and certain HGs, like the IBO line, that require no painting and/or very minimal stickers, so I can get and build a lot of Gunpla and not feel bad about never painting it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I only paint some of the kits I build, because most of them I would just be painting to look like they do out of the box but better and that's not super interesting unless I like the model a TON.

If you leave nubs on anything you're a monster, though.

This is where I'm at. I paint a few kits a year, and rarely deviate from the colors on the outside of the box when I do (soul weighed down by gravity etc etc). I do more MGs than anything else, and they look good enough most of the time. I remove nubs with a Micro Mark trimmer and xacto knife.

The assembly part of building is the most enjoyable for me. Painting is fun while I'm doing it but it's really a big hump to get started (masking ugggggggggggggh). Once I get going I spray for hours, though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

The moebius zero looks cool, the skygrasper looks dumb as hell.:colbert:.

Sorry you have lousy taste in aircraft :smith:

In case anyone's curious or interested or bored enough, I did some basic tests of Mr. Crystal Color. Holy crap this is some cool paint, doubly so with the gloss topcoat.

Part 1: http://imgur.com/a/sKJuk
Part 2: http://imgur.com/a/5fo8J

I also engaged in a display of complete nerdiness by taking an SD Gundam and painting it up like Meiling from Touhou, it's me, i am the typical VEGETA poster http://imgur.com/a/0y8sI

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That just reminds me that I've got five SEED MGs ready to paint Touhou colors that I'll never actually get to. And then there's the "upgrades" I haven't even built yet. :negative:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

MJP posted:

I also engaged in a display of complete nerdiness by taking an SD Gundam and painting it up like Meiling from Touhou, it's me, i am the typical VEGETA poster http://imgur.com/a/0y8sI

Wonderful paint job. Love the details on the bottom of the feet in gold.

You wrote that you assembled the model before priming -- would you recommend assembling an entire model before starting to paint? On my last paint job I didn't do that, and I wonder how much easier or harder it would have been if I did.

A bit unrelated, but do you have tips for masking, too? Particularly around small inset parts like exhausts...Thank you~!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Painting is the only way to get a RG unicorn "louise I'm coming!" Z'Gok

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 18, 2015