Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The_Rob posted:

How can anyone watch this. Any time I see any news channel it's always like this. It's a news anchor who actively ignores everything the person they are talking to says. What does anyone gain from this poo poo?

Best example of that was when our own DocEvil was on Headline News and talked to an anchor about Edward Scissorhands instead of Edward Snowden and she acted like it wasn't even happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vintersorg posted:

We're getting the same thing in Canada - everyone calling our new PM Trudeau a "loving pussy" for pulling out and that Stephen Harper would have stood up to "those fukken pakis".

Did you see the Sun today? Its "while other g8 leaders are talking tough on terrorism, Trudeau is taking selfies", implying that during the discussions our pansy Millennial PM is too busy being on facebook than planning on invading more brown people.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because boogeyman. ISIS are evil fucks but they can only reach so far with so much strength. currently the a bleeding manpower with less and less people coming to replace the deads. So i am sure they will take desperate gambles like this to scare us/strike back.

Yea, provoking the West is their best recruiting tool.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Such a feel good message at the end.

The New Yorker posted:

Fred Phelps died in March, 2014, at the age of eighty-four. Former members of the church told me that Fred had had a softening of heart at the end of his life and had been excommunicated. (The church denies these claims.) Zach Phelps-Roper, Megan’s younger brother, who left the church later that year, said that one of the precipitating events in Fred’s exclusion had been expressing kindness toward the Equality House [The Equality House, as it’s known, is home to a group of young L.G.B.T. activists.]. At a church meeting, Zach recalls, members discussed the episode: “He stepped out the front door of the church and looked at the Rainbow House, the Planting Peace organization, and looked over and said, ‘You’re good people.’
:3:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Best example of that was when our own DocEvil was on Headline News and talked to an anchor about Edward Scissorhands instead of Edward Snowden and she acted like it wasn't even happening.

Got a link to this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Such a feel good message at the end.

:3:

thats sad. it sounds like he sorta relized that there were good people in the world and being the hosed up fanatics his church was, they threw him out. I think what happened was the drains(another family in the church) took over. in ever single documentary i have seen, the dad drain always seemed like more of a snake then the rest. he was also a convert from the outside, so i can believe the converted are all ways more fanatical.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dabir posted:

Got a link to this?

https://youtu.be/JjWImWhPz6M

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

AdjectiveNoun posted:

All the disasters of Western nation-building make me wonder how the gently caress the USA actually pulled it off successfully in post-WW2 Japan, leaving a stable government and prosperous society.

The main difference in strategy was that the Bush administration basically razed Sadam's government while the existing power structure was mostly left in place in Japan. So the bureaucrats who knew how to run a government were still available to continue running the government. The top government officials also weren't exiled and were forced to play ball with constant threats that if they didn't then they'd all be getting sent to the Hague on war crimes charges. So they were kind of forced to get on board with the changes the US wanted to make to the government and the constitution.

Then on top of that you have the major difference of the country having already been unified for a loving long time. A lot of people like to claim there's no ethnic issues in Japan or that it's entirely homogenous, but that's not really true. There was discrimination against Okinawans, native people in the northern territories, burakumin all over the place, and resident Koreans with Japanese heritage. None of those groups were large enough to stage a coup or cause huge sectarian violence, though.

Bush's strategy really hosed over a lot of people in the existing Iraqi government, and it gave them a huge loving axe to grind. He really thought the US could just go in, topple the government, install an entirely new government, and that it would go smoothly. It was the most naive and hubristic thing.

The hosed up things the US government did to Japan came after the occupation ended. Due to the red scare the US government ended up throwing lots and lots of funding into the coffers of the right wing political party in Japan that just so happened to include people or descendants of people who were also major political players during World War 2. Many of the top political officials even today have a direct familial line back to it as well.

So when you see some crazy thing about Japanese PM's getting into international spats over comfort women or Nanjing the root cause is usually the refusal by that politician to admit their direct ancestors did something wrong. These issues end up being deeply personal in a way we're not really used to in the US since we don't actually have dynastic politics in the way Japan has. It would be much easier for Japan, as a nation, to apologize and come to terms with its past if there had been new blood entering Japanese politics over the years.

Somewhat due to US involvement, though, that didn't happen.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 17, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Now Trump is saying that as President, he'd institute blanket surveillance of all mosques and consider forcibly closing some of them.

At some point he's going to go beyond the pale and the general public and the media will turn on him, right?

Right?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

Now Trump is saying that as President, he'd institute blanket surveillance of all mosques and consider forcibly closing some of them.

At some point he's going to go beyond the pale and the general public and the media will turn on him, right?

Right?

Giuliani was just on Hardball saying we need to put undercover cops in mosques. Matthews didn't object.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

Right?

What is this world I am living in?

edit:

beatlegs posted:

Giuliani was just on Hardball saying we need to put undercover cops in mosques. Matthews didn't object.

:psyduck:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

beatlegs posted:

We already did this with informants and it succeeded in pissing off the local Muslim community and revealing all of zero terror plots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

beatlegs posted:

Hang on that doesn't even work by insane racist logic. All mooslims are brown so a good white cop would stick out like a sore thumb, but if you hire a mooslim as an undercover cop you can't trust 'em cause they'll ISIS.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

beatlegs posted:

Didn't his and Bloomberg's administrations do that and not a single thing came up?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Dabir posted:

Hang on that doesn't even work by insane racist logic. All mooslims are brown so a good white cop would stick out like a sore thumb, but if you hire a mooslim as an undercover cop you can't trust 'em cause they'll ISIS.

Nah man, trust me. Don't think about it too much. You should be scared and it would work. Trust me :c00lbert:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

beatlegs posted:

I wonder if he also thinks we should put undercover cops in churches to look for abortion bombers? Something tells me you're not gonna get as much public support for that.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Rick_Hunter posted:

Didn't his and Bloomberg's administrations do that and not a single thing came up?

He claimed that a few terrorist plans were thrwarted that way. Matthews didn't press for specifics, naturally.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

beatlegs posted:

We already do this though?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Necc0 posted:

We already do this though?
I suspect Giuliani said it in a way that suggested that undercover cops should be in mosques because they're mosques, rather than that law enforcement should be investigating all potential sources of terrorist threats and such, which includes some mosques as well as churches, militias, political organizations, etc.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Liberty Counsel has released their list of Friend or Foe on the war on Christmas

Friend or Foe

Best Buy uses the word Christmas 5,000 times

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Liberty Counsel has released their list of Friend or Foe on the war on Christmas

Friend or Foe

The most tedious culture war rages on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Friend or Foe

quote:

Barnes & Noble
45,549 –Usages of Christmas in terms of products or advertising
14,549 –Usages of Holiday in terms of products or advertising
31,021 –References to Jesus, Nativity, or Biblical elements

Hopefully this wasn't done with some automated script, and someone actually sat down marking off every single reference.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Friend or Foe

how the gently caress is any of this a war on Christmas?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

beatlegs posted:

Noted Actual Literal Not Joking Real Life Terrorism Supporter Peter King has been banging the same drum on the right wing media circuit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What determines if you make the naughty list exactly? Is it just an arbitrary cutoff? Is there a standardized minimum number of "Hail Messiah!"s you need?

What about country specific versions of those websites, like Walmart.ca?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 17, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how the gently caress is any of this a war on Christmas?

It's not. The War on Christmas is an arbitrary invention of right wing media as another manufactured controversy they can stoke for viewers and money.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cythereal posted:

It's not. The War on Christmas is an arbitrary invention of right wing media as another manufactured controversy they can stoke for viewers and money.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 17, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Liberty Counsel posted:

RadioShack
1 - Usage of “Christmas” term in products associations or advertising
0- Usages of “Holiday” term in products or advertising
0 - References to Jesus, Nativity, or Biblical elements in products or advertising
Call 800-843-7422 to encourage “The Shack” to bring more Christmas into the season.

Uhhh...Shouldn't someone tell them that Radioshak is gone?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

BigRed0427 posted:

Uhhh...Shouldn't someone tell them that Radioshak is gone?

Because real Americans rejected them for their war on Christmas :smug:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Friend or Foe

You know, I want to live in these people's world where the thing that I can be most angry about is someone saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." That's got to be a loving amazing world.

I mean, gently caress the international poo poo that's going on, I'll just deal with personal stuff. I would love for that to be my biggest concern. That means everything would be perfect. My health would be good, I'd be good financially, my family would be happy and healthy.

Their lives have got to be great if they can worry about this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I never said the War on Christmas wasn't funny.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
In my anecdotal experience, it's either well off conservative Catholics or piss poor whites bitching about this stuff. It's either ignoring those other problems or devaluing the people affected by more substantial issues. Conservative slacktivism is posting pics of aborted fetuses and slutshaming teens on tumblr.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

This is the proclickiest of proclicks and the entire western world is hosed.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cemetry Gator posted:

You know, I want to live in these people's world where the thing that I can be most angry about is someone saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." That's got to be a loving amazing world.

I mean, gently caress the international poo poo that's going on, I'll just deal with personal stuff. I would love for that to be my biggest concern. That means everything would be perfect. My health would be good, I'd be good financially, my family would be happy and healthy.

Their lives have got to be great if they can worry about this.

I'd say it's probably the other way around. Their lives are terrible, a lot of them are underemployed or unemployed, they're in bad health, etc. But there's nothing they can do about that, so they pick some inane distraction to focus on. Refusing to shop in certain stores is something they have control over, and they can tell themselves they're doing something to make a difference. The main idea is to give the discontented some Other to focus their hatred on so they don't realize the capitalist class and the GOP are working together to screw them over.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 17, 2015

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

We were able to ignore Christmas (Hitler) when it annexed Thanksgiving (Czechoslovakia) but now that it's annexed Halloween (Poland) we cannot let it be. A war on Christmas has to be declared before they are able to conquer the 4th of July (Great Britain).

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jurgan posted:

I'd say it's probably the other way around. Their lives are terrible, a lot of them are underemployed or unemployed, they're in bad health, etc. But there's nothing they can do about that, so they pick some inane distraction to focus on. Refusing to shop in certain stores is something they have control over, and they can tell themselves they're doing something to make a difference. The main idea is to give the discontented some Other to focus their hatred on so they don't realize the capitalist class and the GOP are working together to screw them over.

This is totally it, by the way. It really isn't that their lives are so great that the only thing they have to worry about is hearing Happy Holidays at a Target. It's that the solace they have created for themselves is a righteous indignation about the holiday season. It's the kind of person that only really feels alive celebrating Christmas if they can convince themselves that somebody in America hates them for doing so. They're basically hipsters. Just swap out the fixies for Jesus and you have the same mentality.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"War on Christmas" always reminds me of the Daily Show bit where they first showed the Fox News creeps complaining about the wording on "War on Women" and saying that you can't use war so casually then had a montage of their endless "war on .." bullshit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

twistedmentat posted:

Did you see the Sun today? Its "while other g8 leaders are talking tough on terrorism, Trudeau is taking selfies", implying that during the discussions our pansy Millennial PM is too busy being on facebook than planning on invading more brown people.

Didnt see the Sun but a long time friends "likes" were showing up on my feed from anti-Liberal pages (no-liberal, not trudeau i think is one - amongst his likes of Brietbart) talking about it and showing Obama - Putin and 1 other I couldnt recognize huddled over on top and below was Trudeau taking a selfie with another person.

And in the comments, "Miss me yet" memes of Harper.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Harper truly is Canada's Bush. He even has the idiotic "Miss me yet?" meme squawked by morons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So do people advocating "boots on the ground" not know what happened last time we did that, or which party was in power for the vast majority of that time? I mean, I get it, "kill the darkies" resonates with a lot of folks but we just don't seem that good at it?