Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Shirec posted:

So I have some updates from the bird rescue I went to! And updates mean pictures! I wasn't allowed to touch any of the birds, but this place was so fantastic. All the birds had tons of space and toys, and it was heart warming to see.

This is Bosley, and I never realized how gigantic macaws are until she was looming over me. She lost all her feathers due to her owner being a heavy smoker. She was a diva, apparently very into women, and kept alternating between Disney villain cackles and saying "uh-oh!" in the most alarming way. The fear response I had when she started pinning wildly at me was intense.

Bosley reminds me of our old rescue B&G macaw, Basil (who was also a girl, but preferred he/him pronouns :v: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXjMDDmV4QA (cameraphone video from 2003, so not very good quality)

Bas was a grumpy little sod, but he'd had a hard first few years of his life, being passed around some not very good homes in a cage far too small for him and was eventually returned to his breeder when he'd picked himself almost to oblivion. We adopted Bas when he was about 3 (and I was about 5). We tried everything to stop him picking, but the habit was just too strong. He never regrew the colour feathers on his front or back, but we managed to get him eventually to leave most of the down alone so he went from being "oven ready" to having a furry little grey body.

We never found out for sure what abuse he suffered in his original home/s but we pieced together a few things from his behaviour, mainly a deep distrust of children, which meant unfortunately he never really liked either me or my sister. Even when we had grown up, his parroty intelligence meant he never forgot we had once been kids. We suspect some of his younger former owners used to poke him through the bars of his pathetically small cage.

He had a happy life, and once we realised he was pretty good at not destroying furniture he was out of his (much larger) cage nearly all the time. Instead he spent his time on a stand in the dining room, watching the world go by at the centre of activity in our house. We even took him on a family canal barge holiday. We put a Jolly Roger on the side and entertained people at the canal side pubs when we moored up and ordered his favourite treat, chips (I'm british, so this doesn't mean buckets of salt, don't worry!).

He had a pretty good vocabulary, but his ability to put words and sounds into context was the best entertainment. He'd always make sniffly nose noises if he saw a tissue and answered the phone with a cheery "Hello!" when it was picked up. Any time we tried to get him into a carrier to take him to the vet he would scream "HELP! HELP! HELP!" at the top of his voice, so it sounded like we were kidnapping someone. Best not to think about how he picked that one up :smith:

He loved deep boomy voices, singing along tunelessly to the radio and he LOVED the Teletubbies. It's a shame youtube wasn't around back then or he could've been a superstar. One time he decided to forage under the table and mistook my little toe for a peanut. Fortunately his method for eating peanuts was first to delicately remove the skin, so I still have my toe! He also used to skin garden peas the same way.

We had him for about 15 years until 2006 when he had his usual breakfast of porridge, chuckled quietly to himself and just keeled over from some sort of sudden heart attack or aneurysm. We'll never know what exactly did him in - the other parrots we had were fine so it's unlikely to have been environmental. We console ourselves with the knowledge that at least he had 5 times more happy years than sad years, even if he died 50 years too young for a big macaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Aww, poor Basil. It sounds like he was a wonderful bird.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Max is not good at playing the xylophone.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

Max is not good at playing the xylophone.

I love how shocked he is when he moves it closer to his face :kimchi: :D

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I love how shocked he is when he moves it closer to his face :kimchi: :D
That was great :3: It's such a look of cartoonish surprise

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Hug in a Can posted:

One of my budgies does this, too! I think he's licking food residue off of it. No big deal.

It really is funny to see, though, isn't it? Mine licks part of the top of the cage where I set treats sometimes, so she just chills out at a funny angle. :3:
Both of my budgies love licking water off of the side of their water dish, too! They prefer it to drinking from the water dish. Birds are weird!

It was the level of focus that was worrying us, I think. It's rare to see this 'tiel pay attention to something for any period of time, but something about licking the dish required full and undivided attention for minutes at a time! Thanks for the assurances everyone, so long as it doesn't get obsessive about it I'll try not to worry :)

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Brought Scout in for her annual checkup. Dr. MacDonald was very happy with her health, diet, and colour. We have a happy healthy needy birb.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Also there were two Macaws and a Sulpur Crested Cockatoo being boarded in the reception area, and they were awesome. Desire to be a big bird parent rising!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
So we got Taco one of these, as it seems to be a simple enough puzzle for him to wrap his tiny little brain around and also fill his 'chew the gently caress out of everything' needs:

http://www.myparrotshop.com/foraging-toys/cfs-food-treat-dispenser-small-vertical/prod_429.html

Any suggestions for treats to jam inside it for him to find?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

mikerock posted:

Brought Scout in for her annual checkup. Dr. MacDonald was very happy with her health, diet, and colour. We have a happy healthy needy birb.

'Sup shirt bird buddy?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Alternatively,

:butt:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Finally, a photo trend I can't bandwagon on

GoldStandardConure posted:

So we got Taco one of these, as it seems to be a simple enough puzzle for him to wrap his tiny little brain around and also fill his 'chew the gently caress out of everything' needs:

http://www.myparrotshop.com/foraging-toys/cfs-food-treat-dispenser-small-vertical/prod_429.html

Any suggestions for treats to jam inside it for him to find?

What do the boxes look like inside? We were going to get Steve one at some point. Maybe a millet or two, stood up, so wherever he chews he'll be able to see and reach part of it?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So yesterday I learned that Charlie HATES millet. He angrily flung the spray away every time I offered it to him. It also just dawned on me he never eats the millet in NutriBerries either.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bird thread I have a question: my daughter made these "healthy flapjacks" at school with all the good stuff like seeds and fruit in them, but they also contain butter and golden syrup. Unfortunately they were left in the oven too long and are rock hard. Can I give them to my birds?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZgY-qe5Azs

There is nothing in the bowl but birb.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
How much butter? how much syrup? Some birds love crunching things up, unless it's burned, don't give them actually burned food. Dry isn't an issue.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
After several "I don't know" and "God!"s We have determined that it was 4tbs of melted butter and 4tbs of golden syrup to 250g of oats + fruit not burnt just the consistency of rock. I don't know how she managed that tbh.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

So yesterday I learned that Charlie HATES millet. He angrily flung the spray away every time I offered it to him. It also just dawned on me he never eats the millet in NutriBerries either.

Millet sprays are sometimes deadly snakes which must be vanquished

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

learnincurve posted:

After several "I don't know" and "God!"s We have determined that it was 4tbs of melted butter and 4tbs of golden syrup to 250g of oats + fruit not burnt just the consistency of rock. I don't know how she managed that tbh.

You can give a little bit, hardness won't be an issue unless you have a toucan or acari. Might make more of a mess though. What sized bird(s)?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Reflective, echoey, and nest shaped. The perfect toy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jack Forge posted:

You can give a little bit, hardness won't be an issue unless you have a toucan or acari. Might make more of a mess though. What sized bird(s)?

Medium parakeet/cockatiel size and a budgie, she made them in small cupcake cases which will make them easier to break up with a hammer if you think one per cage would be too much.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
It's all about concentration and total amounts of the butter compared to the size of the birds. If she made 2 dozen + of those one a week should be ok. Look of recipes that have no butter or use more bird friendly fats. A whole one per bird would be like you eating a few sticks of butter in a sitting.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thank you for that, I'll smash one and put half in each cage and bin the rest, not even the dogs would try one, so at least it won't be a total waste.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hello there birdgoons! I've been lurking a long while and finally I have made some bird friends and wanted to say hi! Hello everyone!

About a year ago I was asking, "Why would anyone want a bird as a pet?! It's not a mammal!" and I watched that Parrots Confidential movie and cried about macaws. So I read the entire chicken thread, and also this thread... and joined the Audubon society... and met some friends who have birds, and finally made bird friends.

Now I have two cockatiel friends (one who is 21 years old and named Paul who loves scritches and whistling Vivaldi. He does the weird bobbing his throat up and down because he wants me to regurgitate in his mouth). I went to a exotic bird rescue for my birthday and got to dance with Cockatoos and Macaws and African Greys whose owners had passed away. I met conures in person for the first time. I expected to be all "CONURES FOR THE CONURE GOD" but I think I may be on team cockatiel myself, though I love all of them. In any case, I am expressing my gratitude to you guys for helping me learn all about birds so I could begin to love them.

Will post pics when I get back to my desktop and figure out how to upload them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Welcome friend, you are amongst people who will happily spend an hour staring into a cage like it's tv. :D

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

Oh no! My heart! :h: How are they so fluffy? This level of cute is almost lethal.
Also purse birbs should totally be a thing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Put a macaw in your handbag and any sneaky purse snatcher's going to know about it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

learnincurve posted:

Put a macaw in your handbag and any sneaky purse snatcher's going to know about it.

I guarantee a mugger would think twice if I was carrying a cockatoo.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Shirec posted:

I guarantee a mugger would think twice if I was carrying a cockatoo.

If anyone shady approaches...

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Shirec posted:

Also purse birbs should totally be a thing

Simon sometimes gets in these moods where he's obsessed with my purse. Then it becomes his purse and I'm not allowed to touch it or anything contained within it until he grows bored with it again.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Tsaedje posted:

Millet sprays are sometimes deadly snakes which must be vanquished

By voracious eating. A birb that dislikes millet is a strange birb.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

VioletCorsica posted:

Hello there birdgoons! I've been lurking a long while and finally I have made some bird friends and wanted to say hi! Hello everyone!

About a year ago I was asking, "Why would anyone want a bird as a pet?! It's not a mammal!" and I watched that Parrots Confidential movie and cried about macaws. So I read the entire chicken thread, and also this thread... and joined the Audubon society... and met some friends who have birds, and finally made bird friends.

Now I have two cockatiel friends (one who is 21 years old and named Paul who loves scritches and whistling Vivaldi.

Hello new bird friend

That's how Steve was advertised, as whistling classical music/Vivaldi. He actually did at first. Then we tried teaching him something new, he broke, and doesn't properly know anything any more. Paul is also a suitably excellent/dumb name for a cockatiel too, very good.

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

This is weapons-grade cute

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

Don't forget Mr. Flirtwings & the health nut :3:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Battle Pigeon posted:

Finally, a photo trend I can't bandwagon on

What do the boxes look like inside? We were going to get Steve one at some point. Maybe a millet or two, stood up, so wherever he chews he'll be able to see and reach part of it?

Two part box, a simple brown cardboard box that folds up and fits neatly into the holder, and some thin partitions you can insert into the box to divide it up into 6 sections.

The box also has a little punch-out bit on each side, so your bird has something to actually get his beak onto and I guess let them know there is something inside?

Taco took to biting up the cardboard right away (before we had even put the box inside the holder), and was SUPER INTERESTED in watching me fill it with treats. I'll report back when I get home from work as to what state its in, whether he has figured out snacks are hidden within or has put it in the too hard basket and given up.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

Even lutino tiel is impressed by his buddy's fluffiness

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Even lutino tiel is impressed by his buddy's fluffiness
I know, his whole body posture just says "drat, bitch, how are you so fluffy?" to me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast has taken to grooming herself whenever I bring out my little hand mirror (she demands use of it when I want to do my eyebrows etc). Does this mean she recognises herself and is grooming herself in response to that, or she thinks it's another bird and grooms herself because she feels like she's in close company and safe to focus on grooming?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

nielsm posted:

What do you mean? there's another birb in the corner of the bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CrazyLittle posted:

What do you mean? there's another birb in the corner of the bowl

It's a weird shape and colour too! Something is clearly going on there!