Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think there's any particular reason that a well-made finger joint scarfed board would be more likely to split than a non-jointed one?

I don't know about that. It might come down to "well-made" and/or experiences with some of the early versions. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but the experience of my uncle and cousin who've both been in construction for decades. It may also be that they were using the vertical-use only kind vs. the kind that's supposedly equivalent to solid wood in horizontal-loading value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just backing paper for the plasterboard with a bit of plaster still stuck to it?

I think it's the wiring that's scary here...

I think it's the fact that some rear end in a top hat seems to have wallboarded blindly over an open box that also contains a mishmash of wire joins, some kind of (neutral? ground?) bus, and no cover at all. Anyone could have come along and driven a molly bolt into there while hanging a picture frame or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's the fact that some rear end in a top hat seems to have wallboarded blindly over an open box that also contains a mishmash of wire joins, some kind of (neutral? ground?) bus, and no cover at all.

It's a breaker box that was poorly relocated elsewhere, which would have been 100% fine if all of the neutrals were extended separately and it was properly covered and still accessible.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

It's a breaker box that was poorly relocated elsewhere, which would have been 100% fine if all of the neutrals were extended separately and it was properly covered and still accessible.

Bingo. Everyone, you see all those wire nuts inside? There are junctions in there. All wiring junctions must be made inside boxes that are always accessible. That means no burying boxes inside walls or ceilings.

Fake edit: there is ONE exception that I know of that is allowed for buried junctions, some special connectors made by Tyco that are used in trailers a lot.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Bingo. Everyone, you see all those wire nuts inside? There are junctions in there. All wiring junctions must be made inside boxes that are always accessible. That means no burying boxes inside walls or ceilings.

Fake edit: there is ONE exception that I know of that is allowed for buried junctions, some special connectors made by Tyco that are used in trailers a lot.

If I don't actually use any logical processing, my knee jerk idea of the inside of a wall is jumbled wires, insulation, and dust.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is the sidewalk in front of my mom's place:

I originally thought it was coming from someone's shutoff valve, but it's bubbling up from here instead:

Nobody knows what the gently caress. Nobody's meter is running abnormally.

The "crappy" part: the city is being less than useful and won't actually commit to it being their responsibility or not. They suggested she dig around to find the leak herself; when told this I said gently caress NO, because I don't want them playing "You touched it last! Your fault!" for whatever it winds up being. She's been shouting at them for a month now; the likely outcome if it's ignored is it freezes like that and someone eats poo poo off it while walking to the mailboxes. At least I've convinced her not to do anything resembling touching it so far.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I had a similar leak. It ended up being a cracked pvc elbow just on my side of the shutoff valve. The city worker that came out and found my water shutoff was nice enough to give me a hose coupler so I could take water from my neighbor's hose bib while I fixed the pipe.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

I originally thought it was coming from someone's shutoff valve, but it's bubbling up from here instead:

The "crappy" part: the city is being less than useful and won't actually commit to it being their responsibility or not. They suggested she dig around to find the leak herself; when told this I said gently caress NO, because I don't want them playing "You touched it last! Your fault!" for whatever it winds up being. She's been shouting at them for a month now; the likely outcome if it's ignored is it freezes like that and someone eats poo poo off it while walking to the mailboxes. At least I've convinced her not to do anything resembling touching it so far.

Call the local news. See if they city cares then.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This area is not quite podunk enough that "small water leak" rates the local news.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

kid sinister posted:

Call the local news. See if they city cares then.

Alternatively try your local city councillor

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Javid posted:

This area is not quite podunk enough that "small water leak" rates the local news.

A lot of the news stations around here have "troubleshooters" type segments where they do stories like "This woman spent a month trying to get the city water department to fix a leak and they refused. We get to the bottom of it!".

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I recently got a new sewer lateral installed. Yay! No more basement pool activities!

I moved on to my next project: paver patio in the back yard. I've leveled it with gravel and 3/4" of sand on top and have been carefully laying the bricks down making sure to tap them into each other so they're nice and tight.

Then it started raining for three days. Now there's a hole in the center of my patio from which hell opened up to ruin my day. Turns out they didn't backfill the sewer lateral correctly so there's a trench forming in my backyard, eating pavers as it falls down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You got a moat?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Slow leaks may be hard to check on a meter. Could be worth shutting off peoples' water valves and seeing if any of those cause the leak to stop. You'd probably have to shut the valve off for an hour or so to be able to tell though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Slow leaks may be hard to check on a meter. Could be worth shutting off peoples' water valves and seeing if any of those cause the leak to stop. You'd probably have to shut the valve off for an hour or so to be able to tell though.

Shut it off. Go to bed. Check in the morning.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

GreenNight posted:

You got a moat?

Pretty much. At least it'll keep those vagabond knights out of one side of the yard.

I'll post pics tonight.

Edit: it's too dark. I'll get them here later.

Spaghett fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 19, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Khizan posted:

A lot of the news stations around here have "troubleshooters" type segments where they do stories like "This woman spent a month trying to get the city water department to fix a leak and they refused. We get to the bottom of it!".

Bingo. The local news here LOVES making local cities and municipalities look like corrupt, bungling idiots, especially when the problem has been going on for months.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Much as I am curious to see what it is, I'm sticking to my plan of not touching it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

CPGI-208169

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

CPGI-208169

You guys are nerds.

I mean that in the best possible way, of course.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Much as I am curious to see what it is, I'm sticking to my plan of not touching it.

You don't have to touch the leak to shut your own house's water off. This is more just trying to pinpoint whether the leak is on the city side or house side of the pipe.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dog tub?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Body disposal site?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nice finish pause not

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Weirdest looking urinal ever.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Talking to a coworker, that's apparently what happens between 3 and 6 months after they do a lateral. Wish I would have known that.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Javid posted:

I had one of those. It's probably your problem.

See that cover down by the sidewalk? That will contain your city water shutoff valve. If the leak is on your house's side of the shutoff, it is your problem.

Cost me about $3000 to fix by hiring some guys to dig out my water main and run a new one. They pulled a permit and everything.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Don't meters usually have some sort of low flow indicator that spins if any water at all is flowing through the meter?
I'm pretty sure their purpose is for this exact scenario.

Should just be a matter of turning everything off and looking at the meter.

Edit:
Another option, depending on how precise the reading on your meter is, would be to turn everything off, record the reading, then come back at a later time and record the reading again.
If the leak is on your side and everything else is off, they should be different.

xergm fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Homeowner responsibility does not necessarily stop at the meter: it often extends to the edge of the property, or to the shutoff valve. In this case it's likely that the damage is just on the homeowner's side of that shutoff valve, which may be way "upstream" of the water meter.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I guess that makes sense. Here, everything beyond the meter is the water company's problem, regardless if the shut-off is in the same box or not.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Teflon Don posted:

Nice finish pause not

You mean the cardboard guarding the finish?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Nothing like breaking my ankle first thing in the morning because my drains right in the middle of the shower

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Needs a garbage disposal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think it's a slop sink. A really fancy, nouveau-riche slop sink.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If that's the slop sink, I want to see the rest of the house.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I think it's a slop sink. A really fancy, nouveau-riche slop sink.

I was guessing dog washing sink. Aren't those trendy right now?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I was thinking that'd be perfect to clean salmon in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I've seen things almost exactly like that at dog grooming places, like the ones operated out of someone's house/basement suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think

is spot on.

There's a ritzy apartment complex going up downtown here in San Francisco, and one of the prominent points they advertise on the fence is a "dedicated dog-washing room." Seems like being a dog fancier/breeder/showgoer is one of the main outlets for the idle rich.