Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

ding ding ding
God, I love your avatar :allears:

Unrelated:

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

anotherblownsave posted:

Oscar keeps flying directly at my head :( I don't know what I did to upset him

In our apartment, this usually means a bird will soon be nesting in your hair. Except the one time Gunter flew over and bit the poo poo out of my ear because Maestro became scared and I guess she blamed me.

I couldn't be mad at her, though, because I was just so happy she'd accepted him as part of the flock to the point that she wanted to defend him. :3:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am so happy guys. Gunter has started to say "I love you" to me. I am so happy over this. I remember when she absolutely hated me because of the way the store we got her from treated her. Lots of my blood was spilled. Now she gives me kisses, grooms me, and says "I love you."

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

Unrelated:

Excellent.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 21, 2015

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

jadebullet posted:

I am so happy guys. Gunter has started to say "I love you" to me. I am so happy over this. I remember when she absolutely hated me because of the way the store we got her from treated her. Lots of my blood was spilled. Now she gives me kisses, grooms me, and says "I love you."

It's the best

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
I emerge from lurking because I couldn't not share this: http://tumblr.becausebirds.com/post/133608500127/avianawareness-faerieprincex-bird-bum.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I got caught up watching Netflix and put off tucking the birds in about half an hour past their bedtime. Where is Nugget? She's not in the cage. She's not on top of the cage. She's not on the play stand.

Oh. There she is. :derptiel: She was kinda mad at me for taking her out of her cool new fort.

lol

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZgY-qe5Azs

There is nothing in the bowl but birb.

Okay I'm not using this bowl for feed inside the cage again.

Tried two days in a row now, and Pion becomes so enamored with the other birb in the bowl he refuses to leave it, and gets really aggressive towards me if I try touching the bowl. I've never had an angry bite before.

So I'm not using it for feed inside the cage again.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yup. That's a bird.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

Okay I'm not using this bowl for feed inside the cage again.

Tried two days in a row now, and Pion becomes so enamored with the other birb in the bowl he refuses to leave it, and gets really aggressive towards me if I try touching the bowl. I've never had an angry bite before.

So I'm not using it for feed inside the cage again.

*amorous dinosaur noises*

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Reminded of that time scientists stuck a tail on a chicken and I went "oh god, they never died did they, everything I knew is wrong??"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMmgnpcaKyM

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tendai posted:

Unrelated:

the cockies do this too

if im really lucky sometimes gaston will preen his friend

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

the cockies do this too

if im really lucky sometimes gaston will preen his friend

They're in looooooove :kimchi:

Also I heard that the reason parrots have the fukt up lower beak/mandible/whatever is so they can better preen their necks and tums, can anyone c/d

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There was a discussion in here not too long ago about the purpose of the hole at the lower edge of their lower beaks so they can look down without harming soft neck tissue, if that's what you're asking about?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else just like, inordinately proud when they actually get their :derptiel: to learn something relatively complex? For a potato, that is :3: Since I've been getting up earlier than Judah for the past couple months I've been working on teaching him a specific phrase to use when he's ready to be uncovered, just for the hell of it. He's kiiiiiind of gotten it until now, but finally this morning I just heard a very quiet little "up-up bird!" from under the cover :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Is anyone else just like, inordinately proud when they actually get their :derptiel: to learn something

Will let you know!

(Good Bird Judah! You get the Pet of the Day award this time)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuxMwftrf4

Penis tongue.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
...Ohtori's just kind of a pervert isn't he

EDIT: The longer you watch that video the creepier it is :catstare:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

There was a discussion in here not too long ago about the purpose of the hole at the lower edge of their lower beaks so they can look down without harming soft neck tissue, if that's what you're asking about?

Yes, it could be that!

Toast likes getting scritches under her chin :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Any tips for trimming birb toenails? Toast likes flipping out when I grab her or burrito her and try to snip her toenails.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Tendai posted:

Is anyone else just like, inordinately proud when they actually get their :derptiel: to learn something relatively complex? For a potato, that is :3: Since I've been getting up earlier than Judah for the past couple months I've been working on teaching him a specific phrase to use when he's ready to be uncovered, just for the hell of it. He's kiiiiiind of gotten it until now, but finally this morning I just heard a very quiet little "up-up bird!" from under the cover :3:
I'm proud whenever Pazuzu shows any personality beyond "vaguely aware of the exist of Gunter (and maybe himself)." So, go Judah! :derptiel:

Learn those things! Do the stuff! :toot:

jadebullet posted:

She still spills my blood, though...

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

... and all that was left behind was this camera.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"It puts the seeds in the basket, or else it loses another finger".

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From "I love you!" to "last thing you will ever see" in sixty seconds

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Super pissed at the vet. Took Albert in for her yearly and asked them to clip her a bit since all her primaries grew back, said "moderate". She now cant even fall really without hitting the ground hard. Literally crippled bird that falls like a bowling ball. Sweet as pie now but for gently caress sakes.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

I still get excited whenever Archer chases another tiel off his perch and proudly says "silly derp!"

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I still get excited whenever Archer chases another tiel off his perch and proudly says "silly derp!"

I'm sorry, we're going to need proof. Because.. uh.. reasons.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

So, the birdies helped me put laundry away, like...twooooo weeks ago? And I took pictures to post on here. Only getting around to it now. I'm just awesome that way. :smuggo:

Gunter and Pazuzu looking on as I folded laundry:

Simon "helping" by waddling over to the towels, where he then snuggled up to them (all of my pictures of him being snuggly were blurry :( ):

Bonus videos from last month when I had a day off work, and the birdies were helping me eat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h15nBb9sjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5erd_xfGTo

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ApathyGirl posted:

I'm sorry, we're going to need proof. Because.. uh.. reasons.

I'll try but he doesn't do it often and he has that cockatiel voice where I know what he's saying but everyone else thinks he's just having a stroke

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I'll try but he doesn't do it often and he has that cockatiel voice where I know what he's saying but everyone else thinks he's just having a stroke
...man, this is so true. I'll answer Judah or do something like give him a bottlecap full of water and the other person in the room heard random bird babbling instead of what seems to me to be a clear "wanna water?"

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

schnickety scribe posted:

So, the birdies helped me put laundry away, like...twooooo weeks ago? And I took pictures to post on here. Only getting around to it now. I'm just awesome that way. :smuggo:

Gunter and Pazuzu looking on as I folded laundry:

Simon "helping" by waddling over to the towels, where he then snuggled up to them (all of my pictures of him being snuggly were blurry :( ):

Bonus videos from last month when I had a day off work, and the birdies were helping me eat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h15nBb9sjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5erd_xfGTo

oh my goodness :kimchi:

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Does anyone have/use air filtration systems in their rooms they keep their birds in? I've been starting to look into it, i've been curious for a while now.

I'm thinking for my own health along with my birdies health. I often notice tiny feather particles floating around in my entire house. (I only have two budgies, and I vaccuum every second day!) Also it would be nice to filter out cooking smells and dust and what not.

I guess mostly I am curious if they even really work to take out the floating feather bits and dust, probably depends on the brand.

I was looking at this "rabbit air" brand which has customisable filters which seems cool, but also like you have to compromise one thing for another. Like germ trapping, dust/dander, odors, etc you can pick from.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gaston flew down, screamed really loudly for a minute, screamed some more when i got the camera out, then when i turned it on he stopped screaming and flew away

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Wrecking Ball posted:

Does anyone have/use air filtration systems in their rooms they keep their birds in? I've been starting to look into it, i've been curious for a while now.

I'm thinking for my own health along with my birdies health. I often notice tiny feather particles floating around in my entire house. (I only have two budgies, and I vaccuum every second day!) Also it would be nice to filter out cooking smells and dust and what not.

I guess mostly I am curious if they even really work to take out the floating feather bits and dust, probably depends on the brand.

I was looking at this "rabbit air" brand which has customisable filters which seems cool, but also like you have to compromise one thing for another. Like germ trapping, dust/dander, odors, etc you can pick from.

We keep a HEPA filter running in our bird room 24/7. It helps a lot at managing the dander. Just make sure you are getting a filter and not an ozone generator "purifier" or whatever. HEPA filters are what you want

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wrecking Ball posted:

We run one and it certainly helps, even with our non-dusty bird. Don't make the mistake we did and forget to check filter replacement costs.

You should also make sure your vacuum isn't exacerbating the problem. If it isn't actually trapping the particles it is just picking them up off the floor and aerosolizing them. Make sure your bags and filter are rated for the dust and dander particles you're trying to pick up, not just the "big chunks." Consider investing in a dyson if you need to replace yours. They really are magic, and made to be repairable. Washable HEPA filter, canister instead of a bag, etc. We have to empty ours outside because the canister gets a coating of ultra fine dust. (Also, consider always emptying your vaccum outside.)

Or the holy grail: Central vac. When I win the lottery...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Double posting :dealwithit:

From the reddit parrot crazies:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

H110Hawk posted:

oh my god

oh my god the pretty baby

what kind of pretty baby is that?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

H110Hawk posted:

:3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

He has polka dots! He is the prettiest!!!
Omg, his tail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fools don't your see that it is literally
:siren: EATING TOAST :siren:

An attack on one of our birds is an attack on us all -- charge!