Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

A human heart posted:

Let's just recommend a completely different medium in the book forum.

Please don't imply that people should ever have to go to BSS, that's just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Locke and Key had an interesting premise ruined by the fact Joe Hill could not quit being Stephen King's son

Mostly Sober
Nov 27, 2014
[img][/img]
Looking for something like William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy (Neuromancer etc); after similar themes, not necessarily cyberpunk.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Looking for books that can't necessarily be re-created in another medium. Something like "S." by Doug Dorst, with writing in the margin notes and loose leaf inserts, or House of Leaves with it's crazy formatting. The Raw Shark Texts has some ascii flipbook stuff going on, Boothworld Industries has a handful of working phone numbers that you can call, and Night Film has webpages and police documents scattered throughout.

Anything else I should be checking out?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mostly Sober posted:

Looking for something like William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy (Neuromancer etc); after similar themes, not necessarily cyberpunk.

Depending on which themes, you could try classic noir, like The Long Goodbye or The Maltese Falcon.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ibexaz posted:

Looking for books that can't necessarily be re-created in another medium. Something like "S." by Doug Dorst, with writing in the margin notes and loose leaf inserts, or House of Leaves with it's crazy formatting. The Raw Shark Texts has some ascii flipbook stuff going on, Boothworld Industries has a handful of working phone numbers that you can call, and Night Film has webpages and police documents scattered throughout.

Danielewski's The Familiar, for sure. Finnegans Wake if you're up for a real challenge. Nick Bantock's Griffin and Sabine books.

There's also Dennis Wheatley's murder mystery books (e.g. Murder off Miami), which have the actual clues in the book for you to handle and examine.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ibexaz posted:

Perennial TBB cool kid favourite The Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic is one of the best books you're likely to read.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ibexaz posted:

Parallel Stories by Chris Ware
Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

argument could also be made for Infinite Jest

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

argument could also be made for Infinite Jest

I don't think being so bad no one would want to recreate it in another medium is really what he was going for

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I don't think being so bad no one would want to recreate it in another medium is really what he was going for

Suck*

* - my balls

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Can someone recommend a translation of Marcus Aurelius's Meditations on Kindle written in modern English?

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
[edit] Sorry...wrong thread...

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Ibexaz posted:

Pale Fire by Nabakov

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ibexaz posted:

The Griffin and Sabine trilogy.
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Sabine-An-Extraordinary-Correspondence/dp/0877017883

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 21, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone have an interesting recommendation about the rise of Prussia? And also one about the Rurikid family.

Edit: actually, I'm interested in any of the royal families of the time periods before 1600. What's more important is that it is interesting to read/well written.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 22, 2015

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I just wanted to thank whoever recommended Bone Clocks a few pages back: I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. Is David Mitchell's other stuff as good?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

fallingdownjoe posted:

I just wanted to thank whoever recommended Bone Clocks a few pages back: I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. Is David Mitchell's other stuff as good?
If you like Bone Clocks you'll like Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas - similar globe/character hopping. All his books have links to the others.

teakel
Apr 24, 2008
Can anyone recommend a book on Aboriginal Australian mythology ( Dreamtime etc)? I loved the stories growing up and I have a friend originally from overseas who I think would enjoy them too. All I can find are kids books though, can anyone point me in the direction of a more grown up version, if it exists? Thanks :)

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
I'd really like a book on the Balkan wars and the fall of Yugoslavia, if anyone has a good suggestion. I keep trying to get a handle on what went down and just keep getting more and more confused.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

fallingdownjoe posted:

I think Cloud Atlas is better then Bone Clocks frankly.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Anyone wanna recommend a book on the the 19th century gold rush in the Yukon / other examples of rugged frontiersman-ness and "into the wild" kinda stuff?

Basically I just wanna read about shooting bears with elephant rifles and chopping down redwoods and mining for gold. 19th century or older is a must though, I don't want no telephones or internal combustion automobiles.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

LionYeti posted:

I think Cloud Atlas is better then Bone Clocks frankly.

Jacob de Zoet > Bone Clocks > Cloud Atlas. I realize I'm in the minority on this.

edit: Jacob de Zoet > Bone Clocks > Cloud Atlas > Slade House

fallingdownjoe posted:

Anyway, fallingdownjoe, go read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. It's even got Marinus in it! Though all three of the novels overlap. E.g., at the end of Bone Clocks when Marinus mentions he's from a think tank called "Prescience," that... comes up in Cloud Atlas. All his novels intersect/overlap, though most of the links are minor and more just easter eggs. The spanning history, and now the horology stuff that came up in Bone Clocks, is more what's important.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Thanks all for those suggestions: I'll look into them!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I need December BOTM recs

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I recommend a better user base who doesn't wait for books to appear in libraries :colbert:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

How about Wodehouse's "Mr. Mulliner" stories?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Maybe The End of the Affair by Graham Greene?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Wolf in White Van recently came out in paperback...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

Wolf in White Van recently came out in paperback...

And is fantastic.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Are there any must-reads on the science behind art? I just want to know why we make art, why certain images are beautiful, etc. How did we evolve to have art? Why is it so universal?

House Rabbit
Dec 17, 2008

Don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.
Looking for very specific themed horror. Child protagonist like Firestarter and the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordan. I'm a big fan of Stephen King and how he handles that point of view. Bonus if the protagonist is a girl, I can personally relate better.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DirtyRobot posted:

Jacob de Zoet > Bone Clocks > Cloud Atlas. I realize I'm in the minority on this.

edit: Jacob de Zoet > Bone Clocks > Cloud Atlas > Slade House

Haven't read Slade House yet, but Jacob de Zoet > Cloud Atlas > Bone Clocks for me...

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Are there any must-reads on the science behind art? I just want to know why we make art, why certain images are beautiful, etc. How did we evolve to have art? Why is it so universal?

You should read The Story of Art by E.H. Gombrich. It's more a survey of the history of art, but is also an excellent introduction to art criticism and understanding art.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for pop science books about sustainability that aren't boring. I'm thinking futuristic stuff like recycling your clothes or chucking your leftovers into a fuel converter on a Delorean.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a good site for renting eBooks with a monthly subscription? Amazon Prime has a thing that's sort of like that, but the books you actually get are mostly crap and I figure there's got to be some other e-reader library thing that's worthwhile by now.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Honestly if your local library has a good selection that's probably the best place to do it, though you usually have to queue ahead of time to get ahold of more popular books.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My local library recently got a printer that's also hooked up to the internet so it's going to be a few decades before they get e-books

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Robo Reagan posted:

My local library recently got a printer that's also hooked up to the internet so it's going to be a few decades before they get e-books

:negative: i'm so sorry

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ianiniho posted:

I'd really like a book on the Balkan wars and the fall of Yugoslavia, if anyone has a good suggestion. I keep trying to get a handle on what went down and just keep getting more and more confused.

From a while ago:

mcustic posted:

Laura Silber's The Death of Yugoslavia is, I think, still the best and most accessible overall view on the Yugoslav wars. It is also available as a BBC TV series.

Tim Judah wrote a few pretty decent books about the latter phase of conflict between Serbia and Kosovo. I also liked Marcus Tanner's Croatia: A Nation Forged in War. It's more of a general history of Croatia with a focus on the war.

For fiction I would recommend Jergovic's Sarajevo Marlboro. It's a short story collection about the siege of Sarajevo that kind of captures the spirit of the whole affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ianiniho posted:

Joe Sacco's The Fixer and Safe Area Gorazde